• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

I don't remember ever not getting fucked in the last part of Mount Wario, this time the CPU screwed me until I placed 7th, missing the first place by 1 point. I'm raging.

BraXzy

This game can be so damn brutal. It's insane how in half a second one thing can take you from first to 6th with no chance at recovery.

You could do everything right the entire race and that one mistake or item can ruin everything.

That's partly what I love about this game though. I'm not really much of a driving game person, regardless of what type, because most of the time the race is determined in the first 30 seconds and if you make a mistake you're screwed and have to just slog through.

In this, you could be in last place and a series of lucky items and such can get you into first place all of a sudden. The constant to and fro is awesome. I love this game!

kunonabi

I'm having a ton of trouble keeping up with the heavies all of a sudden. They have faster acceleration than I do and I can't come close to matching their top speeds. I even ran into one when I had the star and I couldn't even knock him over.

You guys doing something for voice chat as well? I need to join in, cause none of my local buddies are very good.
We actually had a group yesterday that did it and it was a lot of fun. We had 7 people, so we're looking to get some more for this weekend (Friday or Saturday). Just send me a PM if you want to join us next time (that goes for anyone!).

Also, love the profile picture.

That's partly what I love about this game though. I'm not really much of a driving game person, regardless of what type, because most of the time the race is determined in the first 30 seconds and if you make a mistake you're screwed and have to just slog through.

In this, you could be in last place and a series of lucky items and such can get you into first place all of a sudden. The constant to and fro is awesome. I love this game!

This has been your experience with Mario Kart 8? In the majority online races, I'd say there's no freakin' way you're going from 12th to 1st. In other Mario Karts, it was possible. Not this one. You best get an early lead cause items aren't helping you that much anymore.

Mononoke

Banned
This has been your experience with Mario Kart 8? In the majority online races, I'd say there's no freakin' way you're going from 12th to 1st. In other Mario Karts, it was possible. Not this one. You best get an early lead cause items aren't helping you that much anymore.

Yeah, that's my biggest issue here. I feel like recovering in this game is next to impossible. IT CAN happen, but not very often. Once you drop past a certain point in the race, it would require a lot of things to happen to pull back to the front.

ffdgh

O that's interesting, where did you get that info from?

People have been testing it in time trails. Like mario kart 7, Mario kart 8 suffers from acceleration tiers. Basically 2.00-2.75 is still just 2.00 until it reaches 3.00 where an acceleration boost kicks in. Same applies for 3.00-3.75 and 4.00-4.75 meaning there's a lot of wasted acceleration being used. =/

1.00-2.00 Still works like normal tho.

Easy to test yourselves in time trials.

Azuran

Banned
Are we sure of this? Proof? If true, ugh.

I just tested it in time trail by failing the starting boost and recording how long it takes to get to full speed. There's no difference except every 1.00.

There goes the variability.

Edit: Beaten with a blue at the finish.

People have been testing it in time trails. Like mario kart 7, Mario kart 8 suffers from acceleration tiers. Basically 2.00-2.75 is still just 2.00 until it reaches 3.00 where an acceleration boost kicks in. Same applies for 3.00-3.75 and 4.00-4.75 meaning there's a lot of wasted acceleration being used. =/

Is this only for acceleration?

Omnicent

Is it 6:30 p.m. pst yet?... Shit and I got to do laundry after work too.

Life without Mario Kart 8 is a life of suffering.

I have 3.5 hours to go. I'm trying to focus, but I can't (doesn't help that I need to put all my dev notes in this project wiki... hate doing documentation)

Yeah, that's my biggest issue here. I feel like recovering in this game is next to impossible. IT CAN happen, but not very often. Once you drop past a certain point in the race, it would require a lot of things to happen to pull back to the front.

Yeah, and one of those things it would require is a miracle. Haha.

kunonabi

So what acceleration level would you need to get any real use out of it? I try and put most of my points in acceleration. I don't want to bother if it isn't actually doing anything.

zroid

Banned

welp...

Azuran

Banned
So what acceleration level would you need to get any real use out of it? I try and put most of my points in acceleration. I don't want to bother if it isn't actually doing anything.

You just gotta make sure you reach a full tier otherwise you're wasting points that could go to other stats. For example, there's no difference between 2.00 and 2.75, so you gotta reach 3.00 if you want faster accel.

You just gotta make sure you reach a full tier otherwise you're wasting points that could go to other stats. For example, there's no difference between 2.00 and 2.75, so you gotta reach 3.00 if you want faster accel.

It would have been an interesting mechanic if they did this for every stat, now it's just weird arbitrary bullshit.

Kade

Good races earlier. I still need to finish unlocking stuff and figure out what kart I like best so I can actually compete with you guys. That uncontested first place Rainbow Road 64 victory with my junk kart felt real good though.

Lebon14

Is Frantic Items an option for online? I can't imagine how much more of a carnage that would make GAF races.

I'm pretty sure it is, you need to select it when creating the tournament. It's the same options that when creating a VS race.

Talking of, I just finished my 32-races Vs. Marathon!

wiiu_screenshot_tv_014cjil.jpg
444 points of a total of 480. Not bad.

Top Bottom