• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Twitter said:
[Name Redacted]
‏@[Handle Redacted]
Why the fuck is Mario kart 8 only on wii u literally no one owns the wii u??
Reply Retweet Favorite More
12:58 AM - 27 May 2014

How stupid can some people be?

FrsDvl

My 2 year old won't stop talking about it ever since he saw a promo video at walmart.

He had seen Mario (and is adept at walking him off cliffs or jumping in place in NSMBU and SM3DW). But the idea of Mario driving blew his little mind. "Mario driving car" is all I've heard all week. After being told he has to wait until Friday, "No, I want Mario drive car NOW," sometimes followed by a mini tantrum. I could let him play MK Wii, but I don't want to spoil it!!

There's little to no chance he'll be able to competently control the game for awhile yet, but damned if he won't try.

Haha that's awesome. My daughter is turning 3 on Sunday, and for her birthday she wants Mario Kart. She always grabs my ipad and watches Mario Kart videos. I'll probably buy her a Peach Wiimote and train her to be Mario Kart pro.

CLEEK

My 2 year old won't stop talking about it ever since he saw a promo video at walmart.

He had seen Mario (and is adept at walking him off cliffs or jumping in place in NSMBU and SM3DW). But the idea of Mario driving blew his little mind. "Mario driving car" is all I've heard all week. After being told he has to wait until Friday, "No, I want Mario drive car NOW," sometimes followed by a mini tantrum. I could let him play MK Wii, but I don't want to spoil it!!

There's little to no chance he'll be able to competently control the game for awhile yet, but damned if he won't try.

My youngest is 2½ and he's totally besotted with Mario Kart. He loves nothing more than watching me play Super Mario Kart, or just Youtube videos of Mario Kart 8.

His older brother is a huge Nintendo fan, but for whatever reason, has never shown any interest in Mario Kart. We only allow videogames at the weekend, and my youngest happily sits there and watches his big bro play. But when I fire up SMK, my youngest wants to try.

For the past couple of weekends, the first thing out of my 2½ year old mouth when he wakes up is "Mario Kart Eight".

This weekend is going to be magical.

Blues1990

How stupid can some people be?

Off-Topic: You'd be surprised how stupidity works.

full.jpg

On-Topic: I missed out on the Best Buy Demo on Saturday, so I'm incredibly anxious to get the the game this Friday. The wait is killing me.

Kinsei

Banned
Off-Topic: You'd be surprised how stupidity works.

On-Topic: I missed out on the Best Buy Demo on Saturday, so I'm incredibly anxious to get the the game this Friday. The wait is killing me.

You didn't miss a demo.

You missed a chance to play the full game for 4 hours.

Here´s hoping some retailer breaks the street date today here, but highly unlikely. Anyway I can almost touch it!

Why is not Friday already? WHY?

Summer rain

Neo Member
It´s holiday here on friday. But I will be on a one day festival the whole day, Stockholm Fields, Metallica is coming. Metallica by request! But I will ask my girlfriend to buy MK8 so it will be ready to play when I´m home again :D

(I don´t want a digital copy of it, I want it in my Mintendo collection.)

Hey GAF. I've decided to take the jump and get the MK8 bundle this Saturday. Can anyone clarify a few of these points for me?

1 - Do original Wii remotes work with Wii U for multiplayer?
2 - Do Wii remote suck as a Mario controller? I would honestly prefer to just use a pro controller but don't fancy buying 4 of those
3 - Is an external HDD an immediate necessity?
4 - I remember at launch there was a 5GB update. Will I still have to download this or is it loaded into the firmware now?

Sorry if these are just general Wii U questions rather than MK8. This is my first Nintendo system in a long time, wondering what I'm getting into

Roo

Hey GAF. I've decided to take the jump and get the MK8 bundle this Saturday. Can anyone clarify a few of these points for me?

1 - Do original Wii remotes work with Wii U for multiplayer?
2 - Do Wii remote suck as a Mario controller? I would honestly prefer to just use a pro controller but don't fancy buying 4 of those
3 - Is an external HDD an immediate necessity?
4 - I remember at launch there was a 5GB update. Will I still have to download this or is it loaded into the firmware now?

Sorry if these are just general Wii U questions rather than MK8.
1. Yes, the original Wii Remote works perfectly for this game
2. If you're into motion controls you should be fine. If you're not then I suggest you to get the Wii U Pro.
3. Since you're getting the MK8 bundle, afaik it has 32gb so it shouldn't be a problem in a while, so no, you don't need it.
4. No you don't need to download anything. It's updated right out of the box.

Im really looking forward to playing this soon! Quick question though - I know there are free games available when you register MK8 on club nintendo. The thing is, none of those games sound remotely appealing to me - can I give the code away to someone else if I don't want it or is it account bound?

Bond007

2. If you're into motion controls you should be fine. If you're not then I suggest you to get the Wii U Pro.
3. Since you're getting the MK8 bundle, afaik it has 32gb so it shouldn't be a problem in a while, so no, you don't need it.

So i can only use the Wiimotes for motion control? No just using it as a regular controller with nunchucks?

I have the Gamepad obviously, Pro and two Wiimotes for some 4 player-ness!

moolamb

So i can only use the Wiimotes for motion control? No just using it as a regular controller with nunchucks?

I have the Gamepad obviously, Pro and two Wiimotes for some 4 player-ness!

Just add on nunchucks - you can use that. Lots of people prefer it.

Jswanko

Im really looking forward to playing this soon! Quick question though - I know there are free games available when you register MK8 on club nintendo. The thing is, none of those games sound remotely appealing to me - can I give the code away to someone else if I don't want it or is it account bound?

You should be able to give it away. Nintendo instructions say you'll get a code that you then redeem on the console.

Little late to the party, and I hope it's ok that I did, but I added my NNID to the list.

I most likely won't get MK till the 4th (I also need to pick up and Ethernet cord, my Wii U hates Wi-FI) but anyone who wants to can add me and I'll gladly play with them. Since it's the summer I'll most likely be playing around the early morning hours.

Can't wait to play this.

EDIT: apparently, saying "add me if you wish" referring to the Friendlist built into the system, is enough to have your profile comment hidden by an administrator. wth Miiverse?

Jackano

I don't want to look greedy or something but, the game is (seems?) way faster than before, even in 50cc, and some retro tracks are cut or shorter (Rainbow Road 64 is a three part track now, not two long laps). All tracks seems to last <3 minutes, and in the end... I want more! I also feel the gravity thing isn't used at its fullest. All of this is the other side of the coin: Good, fast, well designed, beautiful... Wants more, DLC cups I hope.

Note: In the credits, Bandai Namco stands out for helping. New?

kcxiv

So, i went to Amazon to get it right now and they want to charge me 73 buc ks to get it on day of release? they can suck it! Ill just get the digital download. they had a free shipping offer, but it was 5-8 days? yeah ok! Amazon is getting worse and worse these days! im about to jump off the bandwagon.

Roo

I don't know why it took me so long to notice but the long stunts from Mario Kart Wii were removed in this game.
Wonder why the did that. Time constraints maybe?

Aw hell and I just bought 3 Wiimotes with Motion Plus built in for this game to use with nunchucks.

Heartfyre

Aw hell and I just bought 3 Wiimotes with Motion Plus built in for this game to use with nunchucks.

You can still use the Wiimote and Nunchuck combination to play the game, so you're not missing out. Really, with the exception of the Pro Controller or the GamePad, it'll be one of the better ways to play it.

Top Bottom