• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Son Of D

ARGH! Had first for most of Sunshine Airport then a blue shell hit me midair, putting me to 6th. Then I got knocked again in mid air and I just gave up.:(

Without bouncing off, I've been able to land on the upper level about 10% of the time. It's really a matter of attack angle on the last jump point, followed by a steady and up-nose gliding.
I seem to be hitting it more consistently now by taking off from the top-most edge of the gliding ramp while holding back immediately and holding it the entire way down. I still haven't decide if it's worth the trouble but there are coins and (I think) another row of item boxes up there.

Anth0ny

holy fuck this is the most frustrating game of all time

and I just played through F-Zero GX

MK8 blows it out of the fucking water

if I get hit by another bobomb -> green shell -> green shell combo in 150cc again I'm chucking this gamepad out the window

ffdgh

if I get hit by another bobomb -> green shell -> green shell combo in 150cc again I'm chucking this gamepad out the window

150cc is cpu human mode. The things they do to keep you from getting first...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I really like the sport bike/comet/etc with slicks and medium/medium-light characters. Really fun to drive and I do okay keeping up with the heavies on a lot of courses.

I wish you could swap characters and parts between races while picking the course, unless there is a way to do that I missed.

And regarding the top part of the Dry Bones course, it's easy to get up there if you take the antigravity "shortcut" and launch into the air from the very top part of the ramp. As long as you get a trick off you should be able to make it most of the time, and if you hit the boost thing right before it you should be able to make it every time if you aim well.

So when actual tournaments are set up, are we doing it by points in a certain time (eg. an hour) or is it going to be elimination? The latter would probably need more organization in Friend Rooms are something.

xandaca

Pretty good game overall, Mount Wario is a sterling track and Bone Dry Ruins is the only genuine duffer. The handling for heavy racers seems to have been given a big gimp since MKWii though, certain turns - the first two on Rainbow Road come to mind - have virtually no margin for error where they're certainly easier with lighter characters. Using a mushroom or boost also seems to cancel out your ability to turn until it has worn off, which is pretty annoying. Still a lot of fun, if not much different from every other post-SNES MK, but it'll probably be a while before I'm offering much competition as Wario (always my fave character) to those playing as Yoshi or the like.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I wrote this on my site in 2008:

Mario Kart Wii is a game for gamers who hate themselves. It is a pathologically cruel experience where skill and competence are punished and regular enjoyment can only be found in being rewarded for sub-par play. Hopes... dreams... all will be culled by Mario Kart's remorseless and gaping maw.

It will start with a whisper. An excellent performance on your first two laps around one of Mario Kart Wii's 32 tracks will see your titular karter far out in the lead, but the all-knowing eye is already upon you. The blue shell will slice through the air and collide with you in mid-jump over a crevasse. You will be plucked, disoriented, from the depths and deposited back onto the track, only to hear your Remote wail loudly as the first of three consecutive red shells catches up to you. With your triple-banana defense neutralized by the blue shell's assault, the pummeling will be merciless.

The first racer to catch up will blow you off the course proper as he soars from 12th to 1st place as an enormous bullet. Now marooned in the deep grass at the side of the road, your slow attempt to recover will be stymied by a star-user cutting a corner and a giant-mushroom-user out for blood. Before you know what happens, you're in 11th place. You may snag a triple-mushroom and hold onto it for mere seconds before the 12th place racer uses a lightning bolt to rob you of your only chance to survive—barreling over your now-miniature form as a final insult.

In the words of akaoni: Mario Kart™.

RiggyRob

The gitGUD MLG guide

***DO NOT READ THE SPOILERS IF YOU LIKE TO HAVE FUN***

Pick a top tier-
+Bowser
+Mii *if they're set to tallest and roundest
+Morton
+Wario

I thought the
heavy-weight
characters were the best to pick, not the
superheavy-weights
?

150cc is cpu human mode. The things they do to keep you from getting first...
I've seen them drop bananas onto coins with such precision that I couldn't tell where the banana started and the coin ended. It made me want to cry :(

Nintendo usually at least tried to make the CPU opponents fallible in MK but they all transform into T2000 when you get to 150cc. The only good thing I can say about them is that they seem to have trouble with the moving obstacles on the tracks. Watching them all get wiped out by falling blocks and such while I drift by will never stop feeling good :)

GRW810

I'm still struggling to cope with controlling my vehicle while in anti-grav. My mind and eyes start bending to keep up with the twist in the track and my driving goes all wonky.

If I'm driving along the side of a left-hand wall and I want to move right a little, do I move the analogue stick right (as you would on flat ground) or down to reflect the change in angle? Don't know if I've explained that well. I've bumbled along so far without knowing how to manoeuvre these sections.

Kinsei

Banned
Fuck this game. I've tried the mirror mode lightning cup three times and each time I made it to the last section of Rainbow Road the game sends a blue shell my way.

+Aliken+

I am missing a statistic page... I would love to know how many wins I have etc.
Especially after tonight, 7 races with 5 first places a second place and a fourth place.

Was about 1070 and am now 1256 :D

By the way is there a GAF community thread?

akaoni

Banned
I thought the
heavy-weight
characters were the best to pick, not the
superheavy-weights
?

If you mean
Kong, Waluigi, Rosa and Roy, then they have wasted stats with any acceleration based build I try to put together, 4.25 or 3.25 etc.
Unless there's one I'm not aware of.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I seem to be hitting it more consistently now by taking off from the top-most edge of the gliding ramp while holding back immediately and holding it the entire way down. I still haven't decide if it's worth the trouble but there are coins and (I think) another row of item boxes up there.
I haven't decided either. It's mainly coins, and I *think* a potential extra jump (i.e. a boost) when jumping off that upper level, but that's about it. All the slow gliding it takes to get to that upper level (from the right-hand side course) practically negate any potential time gains from that upper level.

Honestly, fuck every single one of you that just hit me on Moo Moo Meadows, all six of you.
Sigh, wish I were there :p
I haven't decided either. It's mainly coins, and I *think* a potential extra jump (i.e. a boost) when jumping off that upper level, but that's about it. All the slow gliding it takes to get to that upper level (from the right-hand side course) practically negate any potential time gains from that upper level.
OK, I couldn't remember for sure if there were items or not. the turn is slightly easier to navigate but it's just too slow getting there like you said. The more skilled players will be able to do the dip and then rise technique like the ones who can reach that MK7 RR shortcut without a mushroom but I'm not there yet :/

I think I'll be leaving on the high note of getting first on DS Wario Stadium. Infuriating yet fun matches, all of you.

Also, one more Bowser or Rosalina knocking me off of the map and I might just drop all speed and acceleration and put everything into weight. See how you like it for once.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm still struggling to cope with controlling my vehicle while in anti-grav. My mind and eyes start bending to keep up with the twist in the track and my driving goes all wonky.

If I'm driving along the side of a left-hand wall and I want to move right a little, do I move the analogue stick right (as you would on flat ground) or down to reflect the change in angle? Don't know if I've explained that well. I've bumbled along so far without knowing how to manoeuvre these sections.

As far as I can tell, you do not need to do anything differently during antigrav. Pretend you're driving on something completely flat and parallel to the ground.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I have questions

1. tournament points. wtf how does this even reward anyone except people that sit on the game for 10 hours per day? no idea whos good and whose just got time.

2. doe the gliders do anything different?

Disguises

The gitGUD MLG guide

***DO NOT READ THE SPOILERS IF YOU LIKE TO HAVE FUN***

Pick a top tier-
+Bowser
+Mii *if they're set to tallest and roundest
+Morton
+Wario

Pick a strong setup-
+Circuit Special for kart / Yoshi for bike
+Button wheels
+Cloud glider

Note; There are various pieces of equipment that look different and have the same stats and should corner the same, so use whatever you prefer.

Tips-
- Racing lines
Consider the majority of the track to be lava and corner as tightly as possible while acquiring at least a blue boost if you can. Try to gather 10 coins when the coins are in the racing line. Additional coins provide tiny extra boosts I think.

- Item efficiency
There's no reason to use them at anytime before the next item boxes unless you're in a tight spot and absolutely need to or think it's a good risk to take. Try to defend yourself as often as possible with items from people behind or save it.

Possible questions-
Q: I'm not doing any better?
A: Go into time trial and practice beating the ghosts. You should be able to beat them all by several seconds comfortably as you get better.

Q: Why is this good?
A: It's a good balance between speed and acceleration and so is reliable to produce a good place finish quite often. Acceleration with these 2 builds hit the sweet spot of 3 and 4 respectively ensuring you get full benefits.

Q: But my slicks are faster!?
A: Slicks are so fast to the point where you can widen the gap too easily and trigger the blue shell easier to the point where you might eat 2 in one race. Get hit at a bad spot and the acceleration will cost you the race. This might not be a problem if the entire room is very good though.

Q: I played as good as I could and didn't win once in 10 races while some bad setup won!
A: Mario Kart™

Q: But I've found a setup that works better than yours?
A: These are just my personal findings. Have fun!

I hope this is helpful.
You see... I don't agree with a lot of this since acceleration is generally quite good to have online against others. These pointers seem great for time trials where acceleration is not needed and generally Max speed is required. I still go for speed>acceleration since I like to think I'm fairly good at the game and don't get hit too much but don't put all hope onto speed. Maybe I'll join the GAF tournament at some point...

I love how everybody says their using tilt controls, and there's owl in the back with that "no fun allowed" face

It's funny because it's true, my Mii is a miserable fella.

Not as cold as the Wii one mind you, now that one cracked me up when I saw it again on MK Wii last week.

RiggyRob

If you mean
Kong, Waluigi, Rosa and Roy, then they have wasted stats with any acceleration based build I try to put together, 4.25 or 3.25 etc.
Unless there's one I'm not aware of.

Yeah, I thought that
the trade-off for a lower top speed was better handling, traction and acceleration, which seems pretty worth it to me
. Then again. I've never messed around with the kart customisation and I've traditionally played
the light-weight high acceleration characters (Dry Bones for life)

Haven't been following this thread so I don't know if it was mentioned already, but Shibata said that MK8 sold 1,2 million units in the past 3 days. Seems like a pretty good number tbh.

EDIT: Ok, so I missed a fucking huge thread about this. Great.

akaoni

Banned
You see... I don't agree with a lot of this since acceleration is generally quite good to have online against others. These pointers seem great for time trials where acceleration is not needed and generally Max speed is required. I still go for speed>acceleration since I like to think I'm fairly good at the game and don't get hit too much but don't put all hope onto speed. Maybe I'll join the GAF tournament at some point...

The kart ends up with
4.75 speed and 3 acceleration, the bike ends up with 4.25 speed and 4 acceleration, that's what the Button wheels are for, I could push speed beyond 5 if I wanted. I fully intend for these to be acceleration builds while allowing you to progress forward with a reasonable top speed that can hold the front of the race. That means you want 5 acceleration? Or even 4 for the kart you might mean?

You see... I don't agree with a lot of this since acceleration is generally quite good to have online against others. These pointers seem great for time trials where acceleration is not needed and generally Max speed is required. I still go for speed>acceleration since I like to think I'm fairly good at the gameand don't get hit too much but don't put all hope onto speed. Maybe I'll join the GAF tournament at some point...

And then maybe realize you´re not that good. :p

Top Bottom