• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

xandaca

Game's pretty good. Mount Wario is a great course and Bone Dry Ruins is the only real duffer. Annoying that the heavy karts' handling has been so gimped since MKWii though, corners on Rainbow Road in particular which are relatively straightforward for lighter karts have almost no margin for error with the big guys, particularly if you get any kind of boost, which more or less disables your turning ability for the duration. Seems a bit unbalanced to say the least, but having only played a couple of hours it's quite possible I just haven't cottoned onto the 'proper' way to play with Wario - always my choice - yet. Get the feeling that online spankings will be frustratingly common when faced with eleven middle-to-lightweight characters though.

EDIT: Also, a constant stream of coin items in first place? Urgh, the worst.

Anth0ny

I wrote this on my site in 2008:

In the words of akaoni: Mario Kart™.

I swear I've never had this much trouble with a Mario Kart game. I've been playing Kart since 64 and just played through Wii and DD in anticipation for this game.

NEVER have I been hit by not only so many green shells, but CONSECUTIVE green shells. Green shell, bowser fucking smashes me at 1000000 km/h, followed by fat bowser jr and donkey kong. Goodbye 2nd place, hello 8th place. In literally 3 seconds.

I'm actually on the verge of giving up. I've been playing special cup 150cc all morning and this shit has happened EVERY race. Not some races, not most races, EVERY GOD DAMN RACE some crazy sequence involving items or being bumped by other racers has fucked me out of first or second place. Usually right near the end of the final lap, too.

I thought I'd be able to complete 150cc in a day or two, but clearly at this point I'd be lucky to get a single gold in a day, let alone all 8.

I'm going to turn off my Wii U now.

5ei5q0tsvc.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is this a race or a time trial?

<3 gaf

I've had a couple races like that. At least one where I was easily in first and was fortunate to not have to deal with lightning or a blue shell, I basically cruised after the first half of the first lap.

And at least one where I was so far behind I was just going through the motions until everyone else finished.

Disguises

And then maybe realize you´re not that good. :p
We'll see... ;)
The kart ends up with
4.75 speed and 3 acceleration, the bike ends up with 4.25 speed and 4 acceleration, that's what the Button wheels are for, I could push speed beyond 5 if I wanted. I fully intend for these to be acceleration builds while allowing you to progress forward with a reasonable top speed that can hold the front of the race. That means you want 5 acceleration? Or even 4 for the kart you might mean?
Ok that doesn't sound so bad when you put it like that.

K' Dash

Maybe I'll join the GAF tournament at some point...

This is where you test drive that info you posted, it's good and all, but there's so much more to this game than those stats, you have bee good at actually driving the Kart, item management and knowing the tracks really well, yesterday I played with standard kart, wheels and glider and stayed up in the first 5 and managed to win couple races.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
three starring the 150s is tough, but getting gold?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I swear I've never had this much trouble with a Mario Kart game. I've been playing Kart since 64 and just played through Wii and DD in anticipation for this game.

NEVER have I been hit by not only so many green shells, but CONSECUTIVE green shells. Green shell, bowser fucking smashes me at 1000000 km/h, followed by fat bowser jr and donkey kong. Goodbye 2nd place, hello 8th place. In literally 3 seconds.

I'm actually on the verge of giving up. I've been playing special cup 150cc all morning and this shit has happened EVERY race. Not some races, not most races, EVERY GOD DAMN RACE some crazy sequence involving items or being bumped by other racers has fucked me out of first or second place. Usually right near the end of the final lap, too.

I thought I'd be able to complete 150cc in a day or two, but clearly at this point I'd be lucky to get a single gold in a day, let alone all 8.

5ei5q0tsvc.gif

SP 150cc is really training mode for online GAF races. One mistake will cost you and you'll eat all the items. ALL THE ITEMS. ;)

Porcile

Here's a tip:

Make sure as shit you get a good item to defend yourself with on that opening corner. Otherwise it's 90% certain you'll get smanged by a barrage of shell and banana terror in the next few seconds. No useful item there and you're pretty much done for. Every time I've managed to get an item at the first chance, I've done okay. When I don't get an item I'm fighting at the back.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
SP 150cc is really training mode for online GAF races. One mistake will cost you and you'll eat all the items. ALL THE ITEMS. ;)

Yep. Once you get hit prepare to be battered, bruised, and left behind. And unlike the AI which tends to have some mercy and let you crawl back up, GAF races offer no such mercy. Enjoy fighting for 9th.

Metal B

Goddamn! 1st for 1/2 lap without anybody at sight and then a thunder, a green shell and the blue shell at once ... that's Mario Kart for you.

K' Dash

5ei5q0tsvc.gif

You will have a heart attack when you come to GAF Tournament, lol.

kcxiv

5ei5q0tsvc.gif

My dad used to tell me as a kid, when you get frustrated with something, put the damn thing down and come back to it in a half hour at least!

To bad i never learned that! lol

Porcile

GAF tourney is super intense. I've had to stop for the night because my brain feels completely fried. Think I fell off Rainbow Road about six times in one race.

K' Dash

Seriously, 1 green shell is the difference between first and last place in alot of races. It is soooo nerve racking...

ONE bad turn made me go from first to seventh, then the pack got me and gangbanged me, I was there on the ground crying after that, last place.

Kangi

GAF races are some of the most bitter races for second place I've ever seen. Wario was miles out in front for most of those while the rest of us went out of our way to pummel each other.

Sorry about that Cloudtop Cruise green shell, Acerac.

Chaos17

5ei5q0tsvc.gif
Yup, 150 cc is evil!
Try to play with a mate who play the decoy for the AI, it worked for me and my friend.
Most of the cups can be soloed but some just make you cry, lol.

Fortunally for you, the AI do no use the shorcuts like the players in online race.

Top Bottom