• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

ChrisD

On one rage inducing race, sure. But for the most part the people that are the most skilled end up in the top 3 everytime, as the GAF OT tournament has proven. Not pointing fingers, but people give all sorts of excuses in Mario Kart, but in the end the skilled player will score the most points over a tournament and have the most top 3 finishes. I am not one of those players. What you get is a lot of people that aren't good bitching about it being unfair because they are in the middle of the pack getting pounded by red shells.

He's got a point though. A Blue Shell (or even worse, triple red) can literally seal your loss and confound it, you're gonna' like it, bub!

A large portion of skill in Mario Kart is learning how to get out of the pack lol.

Azuran

Banned
Good races ffdgh, Burning Justice, Greg, Omnicent, PXG, and everyone else I'm forgetting. Those were probably some of the most chaotic races I have played so far.

Rejoining you guys!

Copied my Mii and used my GAF name specifically for this game, so you'll see my nickname as SparkstrM0, though it may be just Sparkster later..
Stupid character limits.

iXOXlUcYbCFVW.gif

Now that's just unfair.

The randomness factor is a large part of the appeal of this game, I believe. That somebody in eighth can get a few red shells and move up on in the top half, or a crazy 8, or you luck into a star and managed to bypass a buddy. Or a lightning strike from nowhere! If it was straight racing no items, the game wouldn't be nearly as popular with such a large range of people of various skill levels.

Just got 2nd on this Donut Plains race, Kouici got 8th. He got nailed in the first ten seconds by chance in the opening item fight, and didn't have any luck with the items getting back. Sometimes the cards you're dealt just aint worth a damn, that's Mario Kart.

ChrisD

Everyone is Rosalina bike crazy at the moment so I doubt it'll catch on too fast just yet. Probably in a month.

Will be funny when MK9 comes out.

Nintendo Direct:

"Is it true that Karts were overpowered in Mario Kart 8?!"

=p

Karts were always funner anyways. I don't mind them getting some love. <3

Everyone is Rosalina bike crazy at the moment so I doubt it'll catch on too fast just yet. Probably in a month.
In theory, Bowser/Sports Bike/Standard wheels/Accel Glider > Rosalina/Sports Bike/Slicks/Accel Glider. Shame I can't test it out yet though ><;

Though, right now it's looking like karts are faster than bikes so yeeeeeeah.

Chaos17

Originally Posted by lt519

On one rage inducing race, sure. But for the most part the people that are the most skilled end up in the top 3 everytime, as the GAF OT tournament has proven. Not pointing fingers, but people give all sorts of excuses in Mario Kart, but in the end the skilled player will score the most points over a tournament and have the most top 3 finishes. I am not one of those players. What you get is a lot of people that aren't good bitching about it being unfair because they are in the middle of the pack getting pounded by red shells.
Play normal races instead then because there will be no score in the end.

Is there any way to know from the game package if there's a club Nintendo code inside? Some of the games I got had them and some didn't, there's no club Nintendo support in my country and the games are imported from Europe.

I'd prefer to get the game physically because it's significantly cheaper than the UK eShop price.

Roo

Is there any way to know from the game package if there's a club Nintendo code inside? Some of the games I got had them and some didn't, there's no club Nintendo support in my country and the games are imported from Europe.

I'd prefer to get the game physically because it's significantly cheaper than the UK eShop price.
I'm pretty sure all Nintendo games have a code inside

Azure J

But that's because Rosalina + Sport Bike + Retro Off Road is the coolest looking combination. :p

I actually figured out the hop snaking thing by accident messing with Toad + Circuit Body + Off Roader/Slick on Mount Wario. Shit is so dumb looking. :lol

Kinsei

Banned
I was just in a random room where 8 people were using Rosalina and 2 were using Metal Mario. Needless to say, my Baby Rosalina on Mr. Scooty never stood a chance.

What are the odds of this becoming Rosalina Kart 8,like how MKWii became Funky Bike Wii?

Prototype

comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm error comm

RM8

What is this bullcrap. You don't get 3 stars next to your name in this game after 3-star-ing everything!? WTF Nintendo :(

RetroMG

Had some good races with the GAF group, but I had to ditch out because my wife needed something. I may try to get back in here in a little bit.

I was just in a random room where 8 people were using Rosalina and 2 were using Metal Mario. Needless to say, my Baby Rosalina on Mr. Scooty never stood a chance.

What are the odds of this becoming Rosalina Kart 8,like how MKWii became Funky Bike Wii?
There are 3 other characters with Rosalina's stats. And I doubt her stat group is better than the fattest stat group. EDIT: Though if you want to match Rosalina's accel with a bike on a fatty then you'll need to stick with 0/0/0/0/0 tires. Same speed and accel but a bar more traction it seems, actually.

ChrisD

I blame the coins. Insanely lucky combo of those close grouped coins and one final shroom.

OH THIS TOO

Coins are important now. That you can lose all of them in literally two seconds is crazy.

Not saying that items are bad. They make it Mario Kart. But... Yeah, they make it Mario Kart. =p

Top Bottom