• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

georly

Walmart (and Sam's Club) has a really strict PoS system that doesn't let them sell anything ahead of street date. They might put items on shelves but they won't be allowed to ring them up.

Yup. Tried to get ALBW 3DS Xl early (it was on shelves) and they refused to sell it to me once it rung up that it was street dated on the PoS. I even tried to argue saying that since it was on shelves they should sell it to me, but alas, it was in vain.

Toaster05

Out of interest anyone in the UK who pre-ordered from Tesco had a dispatch confirmation yet?

Nothing here, I was hoping to see something today. :(

Robin64

Out of interest anyone in the UK who pre-ordered from Tesco had a dispatch confirmation yet?

Nothing here, I was hoping to see something today. :(

Got a Premium Wii U Kart bundle on the way from them, but nothing yet to say it's been sent. Really not expecting that before Saturday, though.

BTW, is there a Club Nintendo "intend to buy" for this? Do they even still do those?
There was but I dont know if its still up there any more. I would say not, because they had MK8 and Tomodachi Life up there, and I know I submitted ones for both and currently the only one still up is the Digital Version of TD.

hwy_61

Banned
Anybody buying this game from target? I'm curious as to how playing with the Wii wheel is...and they're giving one away for free!

Spux666

Banned
Alright since everyone is looking for a good spot where street dates are broken.....I shall share with you the ultimate location....

shoppers-drug-mart.jpg

You never hear anything about shoppers drug mart breaking street dates.....but trust me....I can go to any location and get whatever game I want a week early. All you need to do is make sure you cash out at the electronics desk with a high schooler behind it......which is essentially 99% of the time. They usually won't know about any of the games they have behind the counter, and if you ask for Mario Kart 8 they will just open the cabinet and look for it without knowing about the dates.

The thing I've found about shoppers is that they are very good about getting new games into their system the second they arrive. So as long as they can ring the game through for you without an issue, they will sell it :D

Now run gaffers! Run to shoppers as fast as you can!

Toaster05

Got a Premium Wii U Kart bundle on the way from them, but nothing yet to say it's been sent. Really not expecting that before Saturday, though.

Mine is displayed as still to be dispatched. I'm not sure how long they take to deliver but I'm assuming it's a standard 3-5 days. So I was hoping for dispatch confirmation today.

I want ma Wii U!!!!

Just so I know what to look forward to on friday, I haven't been paying much attention to the info on the game, but how do you unlock stuff? If I want to do a tourney with my friends as soon as we get it, will I have to first unlock all the tracks and characters?

ffdgh

Just so I know what to look forward to on friday, I haven't been paying much attention to the info on the game, but how do you unlock stuff? If I want to do a tourney with my friends as soon as we get it, will I have to first unlock all the tracks and characters?

You unlock a character randomly after each GP so if you really wanna speed thing along, go for 150cc first then mirror to unlock the 14 unlockables.

Sad I missed the Groupon deal yesterday, still went with the refurb from Nintendo. Ended up around $225 w/ 2 day shipping + tax. I'm a sucker for Mario Kart and to get Wind Waker HD as well w/ the code, I think that's justification.

Revven

Anybody buying this game from target? I'm curious as to how playing with the Wii wheel is...and they're giving one away for free!

I'm gonna be buying it from Target but I don't even use the Wii Wheel lol. Just going to Target because it's closer to me.

I am hosting a party on release day and will have a bunch of people over. For controllers, I have the gamepad, the "pro" controller, four wii motion plus controllers, and two nunchucks. I was thinking of just using all four wiimotes, so as to reduce confusion being that so many people are rotating through, but my concern is with the quality of control with the wiimotes instead of the joysticks. does anyone know if you can use the D-pad, if it's any good, or would you recomend just buying two more nunchucks?

Tabasco

I am hosting a party on release day and will have a bunch of people over. For controllers, I have the gamepad, the "pro" controller, four wii motion plus controllers, and two nunchucks. I was thinking of just using all four wiimotes, so as to reduce confusion being that so many people are rotating through, but my concern is with the quality of control with the wiimotes instead of the joysticks. does anyone know if you can use the D-pad, if it's any good, or would you recomend just buying two more nunchucks?
When I was reading your post, I thought you were inviting gafers over to your house. :(

JLeack

Banned
I sold my Wii U about 10 months ago. I regret that move so much now after missing out on 3D World and Mario Kart 8.

If there were a $199 console that included one of these two games I'd pull the trigger right now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Totally not jealus of those of you getting it
early

homer-simpson-flipping-off-o.gif

Does anyone know about multiplayer customization options in this game?

Like, a year ago I had a gathering at the house for a round of Beerio kart. It went okay, could have gone better. Trying to drink an entire beer in the time it takes to finish Yoshi Falls was pretty stupid though.

Looking back there was a couple of things I could have done, and the most important one was to use the customization menu that unlocks the types of items, the CCs, and the number of laps needed to finish a race.

Any signs of those options yet?

Tabasco

Alright since everyone is looking for a good spot where street dates are broken.....I shall share with you the ultimate location....

shoppers-drug-mart.jpg

You never hear anything about shoppers drug mart breaking street dates.....but trust me....I can go to any location and get whatever game I want a week early. All you need to do is make sure you cash out at the electronics desk with a high schooler behind it......which is essentially 99% of the time. They usually won't know about any of the games they have behind the counter, and if you ask for Mario Kart 8 they will just open the cabinet and look for it without knowing about the dates.

The thing I've found about shoppers is that they are very good about getting new games into their system the second they arrive. So as long as they can ring the game through for you without an issue, they will sell it :D

Now run gaffers! Run to shoppers as fast as you can!
Well that sure doesn't help the people like me that live in the US. :(

patientx

Are there any reviews in which they used gamepad as gyro controller and talked about it ? Like hwow was it etc... Ionly used this method in NFS and while seemed better than using wiimote in wii racing games, wasn't really,really fun..

No luck in getting an early copy in my local MediaMarkt :(
I'll try again tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to wait till friday like the rest I'm afraid. I don't want to think about that possibility.

Top Bottom