• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Only the Mushroom and Shell cups are unlocked. You need to play those in order to unlock the rest. So if I were you, I would unlock them asap.

Oh, for fuck's sake. The whole reason we arranged this tournament for day one was so that we would all go in with no experience.

Fuck knows why Nintendo keep pulling this shit. People don't play Mario Kart for the single player; why force them to do so in order to to have access to the full game with friends? Basically, we're stuck with a demo, unless one or more of us go in and play through it, giving them an unfair advantage.

OK, so how do you unlock them? Can they be unlocked by beating all the cups on 50cc? We want to unlock them as quick as possible, so we don't want to be failing/retrying.

Berordn

Oh, for fuck's sake. The whole reason we arranged this tournament for day one was so that we would all go in with no experience.

Fuck knows why Nintendo keep pulling this shit. People don't play Mario Kart for the single player; why force them to do so in order to to have access to the full game with friends? Basically, we're stuck with a demo, unless one or more of us go in and play through it, giving them an unfair advantage.

OK, so how do you unlock them? Can they be unlocked by beating all the cups on 50cc? We want to unlock them as quick as possible, so we don't want to be failing/retrying.

Multiplayer GP mode is back and unlocks everything. If you wanted to race them in order as a group that's an option.

Multiplayer GP mode is back and unlocks everything. If you wanted to race them in order as a group that's an option.

Doesn't playing Grand Prix with friends means having CPU racers? We don't want CPU racers, as this is a tournament. It might just be for shits and giggles, but nobody wants to lose a tournament because a CPU fired a blue shell at them.

I suppose it's better than nothing, but still.

KHlover

Banned
Amazon doesn't seem to send my copy early :/

I know it's very improbable, but is any other German GAFer from Karlsruhe? Did the Saturn at Europaplatz break Street Date? I'll find out tomorrow anyways, but it'd be cool to know early :D

Roo

Doesn't playing Grand Prix with friends means having CPU racers? We don't want CPU racers, as this is a tournament. It might just be for shits and giggles, but nobody wants to lose a tournament because a CPU fired a blue shell at them.

So you want to play VS mode?
I can't remember how it worked exactly in Mario Kart Wii but if that's the case then the class you want to race on has to be previously unlocked (let's say.. 150cc) Correct me if I'm wrong.

but everyone has the same chance of getting hit by a CPU so it works fairly

Playing through the GP together while taking turns would allow you to minimize the advantage any one person had over the other when you got to the actual tournament, though.

Playing through the GP together while taking turns would allow you to minimize the advantage any one person had over the other when you got to the actual tournament, though.

We'll just play 4-player GP and put up with CPU racers. It's the best option. It would still be a lot better if we could just play all the tracks in VS. mode right off the bat though.

B04CFBD6-98C0-4AB5-83C3-AB213111058B_zpsqktbkywr.jpg

And my first upload:

http://youtu.be/_v-wWzqiJ9c

PetrCobra

Is £50 really the official price in UK? I'm asking because GAME is selling the game for 40. If I'm going to buy this from an online retailer, I think I'll go digital because I'm sure as hell not waiting to play. This seems the best choice for that right now. Any better deals in Europe?

Yagami_Sama

This is so sad, a lot of people already had the game, and considering that I importing this thing, and also that I pre-ordered it long ago, I am just going to receive it in between 10 or 20 days...

AdanVC

I didn't notice the duplicate frame issue.

That's good. 98% of the people who have played the game so far claim they didn't notice any frame stuttering or something truly noticeable that can be distracting during gameplay. Not even all the people who reviewed the game :)

Sendou

Ads of this game aren't bad. Not in the slightest. In fact I quite like them. They even feature the ability to destroy Blue Shells in that one.

I just learned that Rainbow Road N64 has been turned into a 1-lap race (the track is divided into 3 portions, similar to Wuhu Island and Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 7). This ruins the track completely, as now it's far too short. I'd even understand if it took as long to complete a lap as in MK64 (though I actually liked how long it took), but Mario Kart 8 is significantly faster. I just watched a video of what looked like an average run (ie, the player got hit a few times), and it only took them 1:45 to finish the whole race. Weak. Why didn't they leave it at 3 laps?

Blues1990

Alright since everyone is looking for a good spot where street dates are broken.....I shall share with you the ultimate location....

shoppers-drug-mart.jpg

You never hear anything about shoppers drug mart breaking street dates.....but trust me....I can go to any location and get whatever game I want a week early. All you need to do is make sure you cash out at the electronics desk with a high schooler behind it......which is essentially 99% of the time. They usually won't know about any of the games they have behind the counter, and if you ask for Mario Kart 8 they will just open the cabinet and look for it without knowing about the dates.

The thing I've found about shoppers is that they are very good about getting new games into their system the second they arrive. So as long as they can ring the game through for you without an issue, they will sell it :D

Now run gaffers! Run to shoppers as fast as you can!

I wonder if the people at my local Shoppers Drug Mart are as gullible...

Tabasco

I feel like asking every store in my area if they'll break the street date.

People getting the game early is pissing me off.

SmithnCo

I just learned that Rainbow Road N64 has been turned into a 1-lap race (the track is divided into 3 portions, similar to Wuhu Island and Rainbow Road in Mario Kart 7). This ruins the track completely, as now it's far too short. I'd even understand if it took as long to complete a lap as in MK64 (though I actually liked how long it took), but Mario Kart 8 is significantly faster. I just watched a video of what looked like an average run (ie, the player got hit a few times), and it only took them 1:45 to finish the whole race. Weak. Why didn't they leave it at 3 laps?

Yeah, that is a weird choice. Really short for a one-lap race.

Mine01

Oh man i hate all of you guys who are getting the game earle D:<.

i dont

The good thing about this is that i finish my exams this friday, so ill pick it up as soon as the store opens.

Just went to a couple of places around my house. The local Sears doesn't even sell video games, and a local store that sold Pokemon X / Y early isn't selling games early anymore since Nintendo found out about them.

Oh well, Friday's close.

Nugg

Got my amazon package in the mail. "Sweet! Watch Dogs is here at last!"

Nope. Mario Kart! Even better! Thanks Amazon!
Now where the fuck is my Watch Dogs

Jackano

I wanted to try to cap/stream but it didn't work out well.
A frakking guy took my username on Twitch. Or maybe it's me but I forgot with which email. And frakking Twitch don't ask you the email to recover your account, but your username, so you don't know which email you used >_<. And I never know how to spell Twitch anyway.

Tried screenshots, but I'm not satisfied with the colors. Any thread out there? Didn't find any NeoGaf Capture thread for noobs.
Also Miiverse screenshots are not allowed (will be 720p anyway), Hatena put a disabled attribute on the Publish button.

Click for 3MB PNGs:

Will try to mess with the brightness/whatever settings tomorrow maybe.
Edit: Also I found out on haupauge forums there is no way to screenshot in direct-feed, this is encoded before. Really, any tips please? I would like to at least be able to direct capture screens with the true colors. Put something like 180&#8364; in this piece of HD PVR2 Gaming garbage.

Top Bottom