• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT| 8 oW

Hasney

I didn't take a survey or anything. All I did was log in after a few hours and it let me pick my game, fill out shipping info (for whatever reason), and then gave me a code for Pikmin 3, which is currently downloading. I thought it was gonna be more complicated.

Yeah, I didn't think you Americans got surveys, lucky gits. We have a survey for every game we register! "Where did you hear of this game?" *Click other* "DIRECTLY FROM MR. IWATA".

I know there's an option for Nintendo Direct, but I prefer doing that

eh crap I didn't take note of the Club Nintendo code during eShop purchase..
guess I just have to wait for the purchase to appear in my account history (it's linked!)
The page did say a few times you can see that PIN any time by going to Menu -> Profile -> Account Activity.

Oh man, played for a couple hours and the game is PRETTY. Can't be said enough.

Love the robust controls on the replays. Best part I saved was one with me as Waluigi. I honked the horn at just the right time causing a couple racers next to me to spin out. Looks HILARIOUS in Slow motion.

Yeah, I didn't think you Americans got surveys, lucky gits. We have a survey for every game we register! "Where did you hear of this game?" *Click other* "DIRECTLY FROM MR. IWATA".

I know there's an option for Nintendo Direct, but I prefer doing that

I always had to fill one out last year too. Don't know if it's because I bought it on eShop or what. Found it strange.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I got it this morning.

+ Gameplay is awesome.
+ Graphics are really fantastic. Bright, colourful with some gorgeous animation. Everthing is Nintendo top notch. I'm not really noticing any issues with a lack of AA either.
+ Sound is amazing.
+ Load times are quick.

- Yes the framerate does this hitch thing. Folks must be blind if they don't notice it. It's not a biggey nor does it detract from the gameplay but you can tell it's not super smooth 60fps.

Overal. I would say it's worth getting a WiiU just for this game alone.

Hasney

The load times were my only worry left as it could kill the game for me waiting for a track to load up. I was stupidly happy when it zoomed through the cup.

wilflare

Ace! My purchase from midnight is already showing up in my Club Nintendo account history, so I'm going to take the survey after 10am to get my code all in one swoop.

Then I need to register a new Club Nintendo account for my physical copy coming from Amazon... >_>

haha still waiting for mine to update
I didn't know that Club Nintendo codes show up during purchase on the eShop!

which games are you getting and are you gonna redeem them both?

Mendrox

Does it though? I mean, compared to 7, it has the same amount of tracks and 14 more drivers, as well as MKTV and a more robust online mode.

Though I would still like to see DLC. The cup select screen clearly has space to fit exactly four more on there.

Well havent played Mario Kart Wii that much so I think that is an illusion even though nearly every character which you can unlock feels like a filler character lol. The tracks are very nice and the game is good, but I feel like the game lacks customizing like setting up manuell or auto, brightness, sound etc. or am I missing something?

Hasney

haha still waiting for mine to update
I didn't know that Club Nintendo codes show up during purchase on the eShop!

which games are you getting and are you gonna redeem them both?

Getting W101 and Monster Hunter. I have Wonderful 101 on disc, but getting it digital then selling both the disc version and the extra copy of MK8 will actually result in a profit!

batbeg

Holy crap 150cc is hard.

Are people jumping straight to online or hitting the grand prixs first? I want to play with others but want to know the levels first D:

Atram

I got lucky on wednesday, my wife bought the Game in the local Saturn for 44€. Will choose Sonic or Party U (since i own the other Games), two Games for that price is Awesome.

Played yesterday my first 4Player Session, feels great man (I think i lost 2 of my friends xD )

But to be honest, the framerate drop in 4P kind of sucks (it´s still goog playable, but not the same as 1P or 2P)

Game is great and the best MK for Now (i never liked the Battlemode, so i´am ignoring Nintendos decision for that mode).

Edit: For all New WiiU Owners, choose W101 as your free Game!!!!

Ninja Dom

DAMMIT!!!!!

I had my first crash!!! Was editing the race highlights ready for my first upload and the whole thing froze. No response from even the Wii U Home button. Hmmmm!! And I've only been playing 1 hr 45 mins.

Anyone else had any lock-ups?

When playing single player how do you choose to play with the Pro controller instead of the Gamepad? Can't for the life of me figure it out.

MisterM

No :( although on the Teso website it says it was dispatched on Wednesday, it better arrive today as it is being deliverd to my work and i dont be here tomorrow :(

I spoke to Tesco Live Chat a second ago to get my tracking number, which "Grant" helpfully supplied.

Checked the Parcel Force website with the tracking number and got this:

Service: Express 24

What is in progress?! Others have been receiving their bundles today so I bloody hope I do too!

Oh wait, I found more info...
30-05-2014 06:33 Leicester Central Depot Departed from delivery depot

Yessss!!!

Siegmeyer

It seems my Wii U is a bit too far from my router for consistent online MK, which is of course, unacceptable.

So I'm gonna need a USB LAN adapter, was just wondering if even the most basic is compatible with Wii U? Prices on amazon vary from a couple of quid for the cheapest to upwards of 20.

Please tell me the basic ones work GAF, May has been harsh on the wallet and I could do with saving some cash.

Copenap

When playing single player how do you choose to play with the Pro controller instead of the Gamepad? Can't for the life of me figure it out.
I do not know this but I would assume you have to use the Rpo Controller when selecting Single Player in the Main Menu.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap 150cc is hard.

Are people jumping straight to online or hitting the grand prixs first? I want to play with others but want to know the levels first D:

I think it's fair to at least have played through the levels before going online, so I'll try to play through the GPs first

Raiden

Banned
Man Mario Kart sure looks great. I have been out of gaming for years now and will be getting my WiiU next week with this. Cant wait!

seb_n

I spoke to Tesco Live Chat a second ago to get my tracking number, which "Grant" helpfully supplied.

Checked the Parcel Force website with the tracking number and got this:

Service: Express 24

What is in progress?! Others have been receiving their bundles today so I bloody hope I do too!

Oh wait, I found more info...
30-05-2014 06:33 Leicester Central Depot Departed from delivery depot

Yessss!!!

Hmm, where do i find the live chat option, i cant seem to see it on the website?

narton

It seems my Wii U is a bit too far from my router for consistent online MK, which is of course, unacceptable.

So I'm gonna need a USB LAN adapter, was just wondering if even the most basic is compatible with Wii U? Prices on amazon vary from a couple of quid for the cheapest to upwards of 20.

Please tell me the basic ones work GAF, May has been harsh on the wallet and I could do with saving some cash.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XWD1G2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I can confirm that this one works. It's pretty generic.

Siegmeyer

I was having this problem too - back out of the menu to the 'Press A to start' screen, and press A on your Pro controller. If there's a quicker way I'd like to know also.

I'm gonna pick up the game in a few hours. Does the gamepad still display information if you use a pro controller?

It does. Watched a Let's Play where the guy started with the Pro, looked over at the Gamepad and realized that's where the map was. So you should be set. That's what I plan on doing tomorrow, holding the Gamepad for long periods of time becomes uncomfortable.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to take some getting used to looking down regularly on the gamepad for active items and map

narton

good question, will try this after work :)

Okay, I hope someone will let me know. After playing a ton of Mario Kart 7, I don't think I can go back to playing without knowing when my enemies have items. I'd ideally want to use a stand for the gamepad and my pro controller to drive.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I take it if you haven't picked up anything there is still no way to avoid a red shell? No nifty driving technique.

narton

It does. Watched a Let's Play where the guy started with the Pro, looked over at the Gamepad and realized that's where the map was. So you should be set. That's what I plan on doing tomorrow, holding the Gamepad for long periods of time becomes uncomfortable.

I'm so glad to hear that!

Copenap

So now that it's officially released we should upgrade from the Test Tournament to the official one. I would suggest one with unlimited races and one with a daily race limit.

Baleoce

Just got it in the post, started playing. First thing I instantly notice. 50cc is actually *too* slow in this game. I typically start from the bottom and work my way up while I unlock things, but I'm tempted to just skip it cos it feels way too slow.

Still, loving it so far! Blue shelled in my first race xD

Top Bottom