• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibhnhNIGTlJ83C.png

So seriously I'm talking about the thing in the bottom right corner, but I'm guessing this is from a demo or something.

Albo

Is anyone else taking part in Nintendo Life's tournament for EGX?

yeah, I'm currently in first with 232 points! The comp doesn't seem as strong as the first heat. Even the two races that I didn't get first in I was a bit unlucky on due to a last second blue shell hitting me right before the finish line.

edit: now in 3rd...this isn't over yet

Roo

^^ Yes, you can.
Nintendo said the map on screen is optional.

So seriously I'm talking about the thing in the bottom right corner, but I'm guessing this is from a demo or something.

Oh my God, you're talking about "third place"
I thought you were talking about some sort of watermark or something lmao
I was like.. I can't see shit.
Like s74rshaped said, it's not in English.
In Spanish instead of writing fir(st), seco(nd), (thi(rd), four(th), etc, we simply use ".°" wich denotates a consecutive order.
It's different in other regions and varies from each numeric system. If you watch non-english gameplay videos, you'll notice it goes from 1st , 1. , 1.° , to simply 1
Here's another (German) example:
ibkk4JO9JxVtMk.png

Congratulations, Roo! I totally know what you mean :)
Thanks. I haven't seen you around in a while. Did you stop playing completely?

What kind of setups do you guys use? I used to use a Pink Gold Peach and a high speed setup and it worked well, but now I'm using Wendy and the stupidest looking items I can find and doing about as well. I'm a fairly low VR (2740) so I imagine your part choices matter more in higher rankings.

Roo

There are talks of a new map along with the mercedes dlc...? Awesome if true. Any idea when it should land?
3 days from now.
It's not really "new" map tho.
You will be able to see the current maps on your TV, a few new cars and minor features/enhancements but that's it.

Are there no European gaffers playing? I've been playing a lot (just played a few hours) but the GAF rooms are always empty.

Oh my God, you're talking about "third place"
I thought you were talking about some sort of watermark or something lmao
I was like.. I can't see shit.
Like s74rshaped said, it's not in English.
In Spanish instead of writing fir(st), seco(nd), (thi(rd), four(th), etc, we simply use ".°" wich denotates a consecutive order.
It's different in other regions and varies from each numeric system. If you watch non-english gameplay videos, you'll notice it goes from 1st , 1. , 1.° , to simply 1
Here's another (German) example:
ibkk4JO9JxVtMk.png

I see. That's really weird though.

What kind of setups do you guys use? I used to use a Pink Gold Peach and a high speed setup and it worked well, but now I'm using Wendy and the stupidest looking items I can find and doing about as well. I'm a fairly low VR (2740) so I imagine your part choices matter more in higher rankings.

Nah, honestly it doesn't matter too much. One red shell does more difference than a million parts if you ask me. I just use what I think feels nice. Mostly been sticking to a bike, I forget what it's called, with gold wheels and the Bowser-thingie. Playing as Metal Mario. I just like him. I could play as Bowser or someone similar for increased speed & weight but I just want what I like. I sometimes play DK because he's hilarious but mostly Metal Mario.

I always win anyway :)

Oh and also the VR doesn't show how good you are either, it only shows how much you've been playing, really. A person with 2000 VR can of course beat someone with 9000 VR.

Exentryk

Exentryk pls.. if there's someone who enjoys drinking salty tears is you.
Everyone knows you're god tier around here..

I'm in the same tier as you, Justice, Prob, ffdgh, SM239, Papercuts, HypnoDarkrai, ChaosBlade and a few more I'm not remembering right now.

I really hope this new update bring back a few of these players. Nothing like a full GAF pro lobby.

yeah, I'm currently in first with 232 points! The comp doesn't seem as strong as the first heat. Even the two races that I didn't get first in I was a bit unlucky on due to a last second blue shell hitting me right before the finish line.

edit: now in 3rd...this isn't over yet

Wow congratulations on that! I ended up 18th or something but I'm going to try again this weekend. It looks like I'll need to learn fire hopping.

DooD1234

I'm in the same tier as you, Justice, Prob, ffdgh, SM239, Papercuts, HypnoDarkrai, ChaosBlade and a few more I'm not remembering right now.

I really hope this new update bring back a few of these players. Nothing like a full GAF pro lobby.
I wish I was in the same tier as those guys listed :(

You guys? Taste my salty tears?

Pfft! Ga ha ha ha ha ha! Please, you guys are so terrible at Mario Kart that even Link broke his oath of silence just to tell you.

Don't mind me, I'm just trash talking.

Gattuso

I see, I'm just not that memorable of a racer.

Roo

Now you just indirectly say I sucked lol. Not even mentioned
Sorry, I missed your post :p
You're good as well. I can't possibly name everyone I've race with.
I named them because they're the ones that usually kick my ass more often than I kick theirs. It doesn't mean the rest of you guys are bad :p

DooD1234

Sorry, I missed your post :p
You're good as well. I can't possibly name everyone I've race with.
I named them because they're the ones that usually kick my ass more often than I kick theirs. It doesn't mean the rest of you guys are bad :p
It okay, I'm still working my win-lose ratio against you. It also understandable Exen forgot me becuz we don't race each other very often due to time so not like he would remember me lol.

I'm doing races with a Japanese fellow who stays in the same Dynamic Cup. He's crazy good as Wario, and it's a really fun challenge to try and beat him.

Just got the game, and I haven't played a MK in a while. I like it, but is there a way to avoid red shells? I feel like I'm being hit very lap by them once or more likely twice and it's kinda making me not want to play. This is in single player.

Just got the game, and I haven't played a MK in a while. I like it, but is there a way to avoid red shells? I feel like I'm being hit very lap by them once or more likely twice and it's kinda making me not want to play. This is in single player.
The most obvious is to hold a banana or green shell behind you for defence. There are other more evasive manoeuvres that would also work.

Albo

Wow congratulations on that! I ended up 18th or something but I'm going to try again this weekend. It looks like I'll need to learn fire hopping.

It might help. I never bothered to learn it, but I was lucky in this heat to not come across any hoppers in my races or most of the guys that ranked highly. I ended up tied in 3rd with someone else. Apparently we're going to be asked a tie breaker question somehow to decide who gets 3rd...

Finalow

I'll surely play some more after the update is out, not right after since I will be busy with Xillia.

but I might join for some races in these 2-3 days. last time I checked the rooms were pretty much dead though. :(

Exentryk

You can drive close to walls (hit against them) to dodge some reds. Takes practice and luck. I get the feeling that it's easier to do with bikes than with karts.

People were actually playing at a reasonable time and I missed it?!?!?!

After the last few weeks of seeing the bulk of the posts at 3AM EST I'd pretty much given up hope ;_;

Roo

People were actually playing at a reasonable time and I missed it?!?!?!

After the last few weeks of seeing the bulk of the posts at 3AM EST I'd pretty much given up hope ;_;

lol
That's pretty much Enforced, Exentryk, me and the occasional appearance from random Gaffer :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom