• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

Is anyone in here actually pursuing the max VR?
I don't think I'll bother. MK7 was already frustrating with that VR.

PedroRVD

Can somebody post a little summary of all the little changes that are not in the official log?

For example:

- Be a spectator until there is a spot to join
- New VR system

Some people say the star is a bit faster now...or that coins are less frequent after the update. Is this true?

Have you noticed something else?

Azuran

Banned

I always thought getting VR in 7 was pretty easy. I made it all the way to 15k without even trying. VR loss in that game in non-existent so it's nothing more than just straight up grinding. Also, 8-10k seems to be where skill levels hits a ceiling. After that, every room is pretty much the same.

Pachimari

I'm still at the 50cc singleplayer cups unlocking characters which is fun but it seems a bit slow and easy, probably because it's the easiest difficulty.

I can't wait to get some intense races going with the rest of you guys. :)

Roo

I'm still at the 50cc singleplayer cups unlocking characters which is fun but it seems a bit slow and easy, probably because it's the easiest difficulty.

You can jump right into 150cc and still get all the cups and stars from 50cc and 100cc.

I always thought getting VR in 7 was pretty easy. I made it all the way to 15k without even trying. VR loss in that game in non-existent so it's nothing more than just straight up grinding. Also, 8-10k seems to be where skill levels hits a ceiling. After that, every room is pretty much the same.
It just seems so unfair. Get first and you will only gain 15 points but God save you from getting 10th or lower because you're fucked. Especially if you're playing with people with lower scores.

They don't call it "low-speed fun" for nuthin' ;)

I'm up for game!

ffdgh

You can jump right into 150cc and still get all the cups and stars from 50cc and 100cc.

It just seems so unfair. Get first and you will only gain 15 points but God save you from getting 10th or lower because you're fucked. Especially if you're playing with people with lower scores.

Already lost 250+ from using shyguy and yoshi. No choice but to use heavy mii now to catch back up. ¬_¬

Why do people care about their VR score at all in a game like this? Me I'm just having fun. I'm at late 3000-something I think. At least so far I've gained points really fast and it's so forgiving when I lose too; when I'm in 10th place I go like -5 at most, often just 0.

Roo

Wait a second. Just a few days ago you wanted this. wtf Alistair Roo?

Not really tho.
Like I said in that post, in Mario Kart Wii if you were a bad player or screwed up multiple times you would be punished forcing you to play better otherwise you would be stuck in the same rooms with the same VR. However, if you were a good player or had a stroke of luck you were rewarded with a healthy amount of points and eventually would move on.
It's not the same here regardless if you're good or bad. the VR system is just broken. You gain so little but can lose a lot even in good rooms.

Case in point; ffdgh. He's a beast in this game, he reached 9999VR a while ago and yet, he lost 250+ points already and I assume the rooms where he played were full of good players.

Why do people care about their VR score at all in a game like this? Me I'm just having fun. I'm at late 3000-something I think. At least so far I've gained points really fast and it's so forgiving when I lose too; when I'm in 10th place I go like -5 at most, often just 0.
Well, people care about different stuff.
I care about VR, Prob cares about Time Trials, others care about firehopping, stats, characters, items, etc :)

Yes, if you're still around.
Sorry, just read your post.

I was doing some GPs because I realised that I still haven't unlocked all characters. Until yesterday I thought that you unlock everything with coins.

I even got worried that my game is bugged because I hadn't unlocked new characters after collecting about 500 coins...

braves01

Banned
Finally went back to get my gold tires. I'm thankful I did, because some of those tracks forced me to get good (or at least competent) with bikes.

I'm missing 7 stamps though. How do I get these? Have I forgotten to beat some cups with all the characters, or does something else trigger the unlock?

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Finally went back to get my gold tires. I'm thankful I did, because some of those tracks forced me to get good (or at least competent) with bikes.

I'm missing 7 stamps though. How do I get these? Have I forgotten to beat some cups with all the characters, or does something else trigger the unlock?

You just have to clear a cup in GP with all characters and beat all staff ghosts in Time Trials to get all of the stamps. Obviously you've already done the latter if you have the Gold Tires, so yeah, you must be missing a few character stamps.

braves01

Banned
You just have to clear a cup in GP with all characters and beat all staff ghosts in Time Trials to get all of the stamps. Obviously you've already done the latter if you have the Gold Tires, so yeah, you must be missing a few character stamps.

Thanks, guess I'll have to compare my stamps to the wiki to figure out which ones I still need. At least I'm done with the hard ones.

Exentryk

No, not going to bother. I played a few races to check the system and get into 5 digits, but that's about it. Frantic Tourneys are where I'll mostly be.

Case in point; ffdgh. He's a beast in this game, he reached 9999VR a while ago and yet, he lost 250+ points already and I assume the rooms where he played were full of good players.

That only means he does not deserve 9999 VR according to the new system and thus he'll slowly shift to his accurate level (9000? 8000?). Nothing wrong here. Plenty of 9999 VR pre-update have been able to keep them and even go 10K+.

ffdgh

That only means he does not deserve 9999 VR according to the new system and thus he'll slowly shift to his accurate level (9000? 8000?). Nothing wrong here. Plenty of 9999 VR pre-update have been able to keep them and even go 10K+.

Hehehe....anyway getting back mah points no problem.
Goodnight baby peach...

Roo

I don't know. It's probably me. I just don't like this system. Not that bitching about it will fix it. I was just expressing how I feel about it.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Sorry, but I don't think I'm going to play in low-VR rooms anymore with the new VR system. Since everyone's VR is so much lower than mine, I lose tons of points every time I get hit with a blue shell and get combo'd into the back of the pack, while I hardly get any for coming in first.

You guys can still join me if you like, but I probably won't join GAFfers myself in WWs anymore unless I know their VR's high.

Roo

I tried to join Prob's room and the game simply disconnected me.
I can see those stability improvements, Nintendo, can see them lol

Joining Dood and Enforced now :)

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Sorry about having my VR so low, justice. It was my fault because I play more with gaf than ww. That why. Lol

No worries. I kind of feel bad for saying that, but I don't really want to start losing VR because of that.

Maybe when we do WW we should have whoever has the highest VR start the room, and then have everyone else join that person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom