• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exentryk

Nothing like old ghosts to make you realize just how rusty you've gotten. Couldn't keep up at all at first, but gradually, it came back to me.

z8DzJp4.jpg

Finally did it. Second lap could have been better, though.

And I'm still .009 seconds behind Prob... not sure if I'll try again, though. Even doing this took way too long.

Nice! Congrats :D
Don't think I'll be bothering with it anymore tho.

Roo

So it just crossed my mind..
Will you guys play the DLC courses right after they're available (just the DLC cups) or will do a "32 tracks" (well, 40 by then) gameplay session?
I was thinking about doing the latter. Racing the main courses randomly just to be blown away by the unexpected new track and so on.

I didn't mention online because I assume it'll be a problem to play them all in a single session since not everyone will have the DLC packs.

ffdgh

So it just crossed my mind..
Will you guys play the DLC courses right after they're available (just the DLC cups) or will do a "32 tracks" (well, 40 by then) gameplay session?
I was thinking about doing the latter. Racing the main courses randomly just to be blown away by the unexpected new track and so on.

I didn't mention online because I assume it'll be a problem to play them all in a single session since not everyone will have the DLC packs.

Probably not since the cpu are so easy to beat now...and Double Dash's all cup tour was fun thanks to the special item randomness.

Gonna play the Egg Cup with Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach then go for the Triforce cup with link. All three of them with Tanooki Buggy, Cat Cruiser, and Master Cycle ofcourse. :D

Roo

Probably not since the cpu are so easy to beat now...and Double Dash's all cup tour was fun thanks to the special item randomness.

Gonna play the Egg Cup with Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach then go for the Triforce cup with link. All three of them with Tanooki Buggy, Cat Cruiser, and Master Cycle ofcourse. :D
Yeah, that's my only concern. CPU are lame
The few times I've played VS offline I always pick the worst combo stats wise to make it a little more challenging but I always beat them.
Guess I'll do the same as you guys and jump straight to the DLC cups.
The good thing here is that most of the kart community (those worth mention that is) already have the DLC pack so it'll be way easier to play on those tracks online.

Azuran

Banned
I just want to say that during the first week or so, anyone that doesn't select a DLC track when it pops up online is heading straight to my mortal enemy list.

I just want to say that during the first week or so, anyone that doesn't select a DLC track when it pops up online is heading straight to my mortal enemy list.
Mine too.

They'll go down right next to the people who pick Dry Dry Desert every time it comes up. I like that track once in a while, but I do have my limits.

Roo

Mine too.

They'll go down right next to the people who pick Dry Dry Desert whenever it comes up. I like that track once in a while, but I do have my limits.

Hey!
I like Dry Dry Desert :mad:
edit: oh, you said "whenever it comes up"
Ok, we're good :D
I only do that for Grumble Volcano <3

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I haven't decided yet if I'll play the new cups in single-player first, or hop straight into online. For the base game, I 3-starred all of the cups before I even touched online, but that was before I got acquainted with KartGAF.

If I do decide to play single-player first, I'll probably just do the new tracks using the new characters/vehicles. I don't really care about playing the old tracks vs. CPUs.

Do you guys think we should make a tournament that requires the DLC, assuming Nintendo lets us do that? I think it might be useful to ensure that we can all play on the DLC tracks for at least the first week or two after they release, but I'm not sure if it'll be necessary. I'm guessing if even one person joins who doesn't have the DLC, we won't be able to play on the new tracks, but I don't know if that's something we need to worry about or not.

Roo

I haven't decided yet if I'll play the new cups in single-player first, or hop straight into online. For the base game, I 3-starred all of the cups before I even touched online, but that was before I got acquainted with KartGAF.

If I do decide to play single-player first, I'll probably just do the new tracks using the new characters/vehicles. I don't really care about playing the old tracks vs. CPUs.

Do you guys think we should make a tournament that requires the DLC, assuming Nintendo lets us do that? I think it might be useful to ensure that we can all play on the DLC tracks for at least the first week or two after they release, but I'm not sure if it'll be necessary. I'm guessing if even one person joins who doesn't have the DLC, we won't be able to play on the new tracks, but I don't know if that's something we need to worry about or not.

We definitely should make a DLC Tournament if Nintendo creates such feature.
Since we'll move to Gaming again (yay!!) we'll get a decent stream of players but I'm sure a lot of them will be back because:
1. We're back in gaming
2. To play again with old fellow gaffers
but not really because they want to purchase the DLC packs so it would hurt those with the DLC who want to play but there's someone in the room without the packs.

Edit: Now that I think a little bit more about it.. I'm not sure if Nintendo would create that feature so players can race on DLC
With that, I mean something like "In order to play in this tournament, you need to have downloaded the first DLC pack"
Have they done it before? If the tournament is not able to identify who did and who did not purchase the DLC, what will prevent people from trolling the lobby and ruin the fun for those with the DLC? or maybe not trolling but they're unaware the DLC are mandatory in said tournament

Wait, we're going back into gaming? Yay!
Edit: Now that I think a little bit more about it.. I'm not sure if Nintendo would create that feature so players can race on DLC
With that, I mean something like "In order to play in this tournament, you need to have downloaded the first DLC pack"
Have they done it before? If the tournament is not able to identify who did and who did not purchase the DLC, what will prevent people from trolling the lobby and ruin the fun for those with the DLC? or maybe not trolling but they're unaware the DLC are mandatory in said tournament
NeoGAF is pretty good about honor things. Trolls on GAF seem to just stick to shitposting and do little actual playing. You'll just need really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really big letters.

Last resort is to make another tourney and PM the code to those you know have the DLC, but that's a last resort thing that is not desirable.

Enforced

Damn it. I'm going to miss it when the DLC comes out and this thread goes to the gaming forum because I need to focus on the finals.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Oh, did not know we were moving back to Gaming. Nice. If that's the case, then yeah, we definitely should if it's possible.

They allow you to restrict tournaments based on stuff like your region, how high your VR is, and whether or not you're using tilt controls. I feel like restricting based on whether or not you own the DLC is a natural extension of that. It could potentially be very difficult to play on DLC tracks in tournaments if all it takes is for one person who doesn't have the DLC to join to not be able to play on them, and allowing that would help solve that problem.

That said, they might not. There's not much precedent for this--hardly any of their games support tournaments like this. So it's hard to say what they'll do.

Exentryk

Moving to Gaming side? That's fantastic news.

And after getting DLC, I'll jump straight online with you guys and learn the tracks while playing. Of course, might do some time trials to learn the basic lines after.

We won't have to unlock stuff after getting the DLC, right? It'll be all there from the start?

Roo

They allow you to restrict tournaments based on stuff like your region, how high your VR is, and whether or not you're using tilt controls. I feel like restricting based on whether or not you own the DLC is a natural extension of that. It could potentially be very difficult to play on DLC tracks in tournaments if all it takes is for one person who doesn't have the DLC to join to not be able to play on them, and allowing that would help solve that problem.

That said, they might not. There's not much precedent for this--hardly any of their games support tournaments like this. So it's hard to say what they'll do.

I honestly forgot all of that stuff lol
I basically join the room by following one of you and I did not create any of the Tournaments in the OP so..
Hopefully there's an option so only people with the DLC can join the tournament.

Wait so there will be a new OT just for the DLC?
Will this thread be locked?
Well.. yeah, it would be pointless to have both threads open when all the action will in the DLC one.
You guys better embrace your memories cuz we're leaving town :)

All the memories I have involve red shells, star rams, and a green shell snipe right before the finish line.

I'll have no problem leaving those behind. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom