• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 |OT3| You fuck THIS GAME! Let the salt flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

If any of you guys still plays regularly feel free to add me: dani_dreamcast
I'm on GMT timezone (though sometimes my scheduale gets upside down).

Got the game a few days ago, just finished playing all tracks offline today, so I should be starting playing the game online tomorrow and foward.

Finalow

I should be back for some races (and salt) before putting this game to rest, need to finish divinity before that though.

Renzoku

Banned
I just started playing and it's been a long time since I've touched Mario Kart.

A few questions, sorry if they're stupid:

How do you time boost at the start of a race? When the lights go green you tap the throttle or what?

If you get a homing item like a red shell, can you shoot it backwards and have it track the person behind you?

I assume that jumping off of ramps at the right time does actually boost your speed a bit due to the flames popping off from the exhaust, right?

Thanks!

Dr Prob

Banned
How do you time boost at the start of a race? When the lights go green you tap the throttle or what?

Some people watch Lakitu's lights or listen for the beeps. I personally find the easiest way is to just watch the numbers that appear in the middle of the screen. They'll kind of appear as coming down, settling, then disappearing. Hold the accelerator right after the number 2 settles (or whatever the equivalent is with the other two methods). If you do it too early you'll burn out, too late and you'll get less of a boost.

If you get a homing item like a red shell, can you shoot it backwards and have it track the person behind you?

No.

I assume that jumping off of ramps at the right time does actually boost your speed a bit due to the flames popping off from the exhaust, right?

If you're talking about tricking, then yeah, you get a small boost. Though sometimes it's actually faster not to trick, as the airtime can offset the boost. A general rule of thumb (there are exceptions) is not to trick off of ramps that are giving you a boost automatically (the yellow, zippy ones), but to do it on normal ramps (wooden ones and the like). Except if you're coming directly out of a red mini-turbo or using a shroom or something.

tl:dr:

Hold the gas after the 2
No
Yes

Roo

Chris, you're not supposed to firehop in the GAF tournaments.

Edit: you know what? Nevermind, this place is dead anyway lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom