• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team |OT| Us North Americans Don't Have Bros

zroid

Banned
I was hating on the art style when the game was first announced, but the sprite work is ridiculous on the OG 3DS. Looks fantastic.

Reading the Iwata Asks was pretty illuminating. Seems like they had to put in a TON of work into making the sprites look "3D".

Doopliss

Reading the Iwata Asks was pretty illuminating. Seems like they had to put in a TON of work into making the sprites look "3D".
I didn't really understand that bit of the interview. The sprites are clearly 2D. I wonder if they just meant that they had trouble making the sprites not feel out of place in the 3D world.

Man, the soundtrack is incredible, but the game looks ugly compared to Bowser's Inside Story. It reminds me of Super Mario RPG in that regard, which has a very dated look.

That demo pushed me over the edge, it was the same M & L gameplay I fell in love with in Superstar Saga and PiT but was improved upon greatly. So now I'm just waiting for the damn download to finish so I can jump in (it's been downloading for like an hour [that may be a slight exaggeration])

Cody_D165

Banned
I just stopped by a local Best Buy to grab the game but they didn't have it in stock. So I went to the Toys R Us next door instead. And I'm super glad I did.

If you guys in NA haven't gotten the game yet, Toys R Us is running a promotion where if you pick up Mario and Luigi before the 17th, you get any video game, strategy guide, or accessory valued at $19.99 or less for only 99 cents. I picked up a copy of Kingdom Hearts Recoded.

I think I need to buy games at TRU more often.

Teknoman

I just stopped by a local Best Buy to grab the game but they didn't have it in stock. So I went to the Toys R Us next door instead. And I'm super glad I did.

If you guys in NA haven't gotten the game yet, Toys R Us is running a promotion where if you pick up Mario and Luigi before the 17th, you get any video game, strategy guide, or accessory valued at $19.99 or less for only 99 cents. I picked up a copy of Kingdom Hearts Recoded.

Always go there for Pokemon releases. They usually have similar sells for those launches as well.

So Target gives out free Mario backpacks with a purchase of M&L4, does anybody know what it looks like? My little brother needs a backpack for kindergarten and my mom might just get me the game and give him the backpack for the $35 or so it costs :p

If the backpack is lame though I'd rather her not do that though. Thanks.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally got back from out of town. Gonna play this later tonight hopefully while I download the Wonderful 101 demo.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to admit, so far, I really like how the game looks.

Yes, there is a tradeoff in backgrounds having flawlessly placed pixel art because these are constructed of polygons. But the presentation value and animation compensates.

The main thing though is all the work they put into making sprites that blend with the 3D world and do not look pasted on seems to have paid off in spades. As is so common with 3DS games, blown up screen shots can lie about what it looks like on the actual screen.

I agree with what someone else said a while back, they finally got Mario and Luigi's animation timing exactly right with this set of sprites. 16 directional animation also pays off.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

HOLY SHIT, that's what TRU stands for? I've seen this on gaf for years but didn't realize until today. why don't you jerks just say TrU? I would be able to understand it better then.

=/

Teknoman

So Target gives out free Mario backpacks with a purchase of M&L4, does anybody know what it looks like? My little brother needs a backpack for kindergarten and my mom might just get me the game and give him the backpack for the $35 or so it costs :p

If the backpack is lame though I'd rather her not do that though. Thanks.

They have several so maybe you get to choose?

Lkr

so i just glanced at the review scores. why is it doing so poorly? i remember paper mario was criticized for a new play style, but isn't this the same gameplay mechanics i am used to?
i also haven't played M&L3, but since these games aren't really continuous, i don't need to play it first, right?

subwilde

Played 2 hours so far. All tutorials. That's ok for me since I haven't played since SNES. Loving the soundtrack and art. I can tell the dream world is going to be a lot of fun.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
so i just glanced at the review scores. why is it doing so poorly? i remember paper mario was criticized for a new play style, but isn't this the same gameplay mechanics i am used to?
i also haven't played M&L3, but since these games aren't really continuous, i don't need to play it first, right?

Supposedly it's not as charming because Bowser isn't playing (one category of complaint), otherwise griping that our busy lives have no room for games with tutorials. Even though allegedly it isn't any worse than Bowser's Inside Story in this regard. I guess I'll see myself shortly.

The actual quality of the production seems as high as ever for the series.

romulus91

Because - tutorials/hand holding never ends, battles can become tedious after 40 hours and quite a bit of gimmicky stuff thrown in. Dont get me wrong- i love this game but i can understand the valid criticisms ......

Gartooth

I remember Starlow trying to explain something to me, but I said no and then she bothered to actually ask me a second time to see if I was sure.

Wish tutorials were just relegated to the menu so that players who don't understand concepts have a quick encyclopedia to check stuff out rather than the game wasting it's breathe to explain shit all the time.

Sorian

Banned
I remember Starlow trying to explain something to me, but I said no and then she bothered to actually ask me a second time to see if I was sure.

Wish tutorials were just relegated to the menu so that players who don't understand concepts have a quick encyclopedia to check stuff out rather than the game wasting it's breathe to explain shit all the time.

Are you SURE you want it relegated to the menu?

MYeager

You don't need to play Bowser's Inside Story first, though you should at some point if you enjoy these games. Part of the reason this game is under such a harsh light is that it comes after Bowser's Inside Story, because switching between Bowser and the Bros added variety to the game and provided different types of humor. M&L Dream Team is unfortunate in that it's judged against BiS, it doesn't contain the additional character or variance of game style. Plus it has a less interesting antagonist.

Still a good game though. I've played the prior games and remember just as much in the way of tutorial stuff.

Gartooth

Are you SURE you want it relegated to the menu?

I've played Mario and Luigi games before so at least more than half of the tutorial crap doesn't need to be explained to me. They could have entries in a "tutorial" page dealing with what different context sensitive buttons do to activate abilites, what the different battle functions are, and even allow players to demo different aspects if they don't understand similar to practicing Bros. attacks.

Only a few things the game told me actually felt helpful such as how the battle system changes in the dream world, or how to use Luiginary abilities.

Sorian

Banned
I've played Mario and Luigi games before so at least more than half of the tutorial crap doesn't need to be explained to me. They could have entries in a "tutorial" page dealing with what different context sensitive buttons do to activate abilites, what the different battle functions are, and even allow players to demo different aspects if they don't understand similar to practicing Bros. attacks.

Only a few things the game told me actually felt helpful such as how the battle system changes in the dream world, or how to use Luiginary abilities.

I was just mimicing Starlow in asking you a second time after you made a decision :p

pariah164

So, impressions as of four hours in (early game spoilers):

I love it. People here in the OT complaining got me a bit weary, but my fears were unfounded. The game is excellent. Audio is catchy, visuals are stunning, and the gameplay is clean and crisp. The bosses are challenging (I used Easy Mode on Bowser and the bat just because I'd died four times and was frustrated), but the fights are so smooth and streamlined that I don't mind extended battle.

As for the dialogue and story, I am digging it so far. There have definitely been some moments that had me laughing. ("It's bumpin' my rump! DAT AIN'T RIGHT!") Also I think the Pi'illo people are adorable as fuck. This game is awesome, and if the quality stays this way, I will definitely play through a second time. It's rekindling the magic of SS in the best way.

TWILT

Banned
About half an hour in. While I'm still really enjoying it (music/visuals are great, battle system is fun as ever), damn the tutorials suck. Does it really need to ask me twice if I know how to jump...?

zroid

Banned
About half an hour in. While I'm still really enjoying it (music/visuals are great, battle system is fun as ever), damn the tutorials suck. Does it really need to ask me twice if I know how to jump...?

once for each brother, obviously

definitely should have something at the beginning asking 'have you played a mario luigi game before????'

but with how much tutorials is coded in this thing, probably not easy to toggle off and on.

good thing that you can speed through all of them by mashing B.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
definitely should have something at the beginning asking 'have you played a mario luigi game before????'

but with how much tutorials is coded in this thing, probably not easy to toggle off and on.

good thing that you can speed through all of them by mashing B.
Yeah, this is something that would really nice considering this is the fourth game in the series, meaning there's a good chance someone getting this played one of the previous games. At the very least, for most of it, they allow you the choice for most of the mechanics by answering "no".

Played until the boss in the first dreamy world. Wow, REALLY liking the additions made to battles in the dreamy world. It allows for more creative ways for dodging attacks and changes things up nicely.

Yuterald

Quick question; can you revisit dream scenarios? I didn't get all the Expert Challenges completed in the first/intro dream sequence and I don't see a way to go back there yet. Other than that, digging the game despite the ridiculous tutorials (telling me how to jump/jump at the same time as both bros. was pretty player-insulting, even if this was your first Mario & Luigi game).

ffdgh

Quick question; can you revisit dream scenarios? I didn't get all the Expert Challenges completed in the first/intro dream sequence and I don't see a way to go back there yet. Other than that, digging the game despite the ridiculous tutorials (telling me how to jump/jump at the same time as both bros. was pretty player-insulting, even if this was your first Mario & Luigi game).

Yeah you can revisit them anytime.

I just finished playing the demo.

I have a weird relationship with M&L games because I think they're really awesome, but at the same time, I don't like them. (I like Paper Mario, though.) However, I really liked the demo. I really enjoyed the Dream World fights, fighting with the power of multiple Luigis on my side. I was very surprised when I realized that the characters weren't actually 3D. All this time, I thought they were 3D models...

I really don't like the standard M&L long, long boss fights. It's one of the main things that turns me away from the series. In the demo, I actually died against the Dream World boss after fighting for quite a while.

Of the M&L games, I did like Superstar Saga the most, and this game reminds me of it. Of the gimmicks they added since Superstar Saga (Baby M/L, Bowser and his stomach), I like the Dream World gimmick the most by far, so I definitely want to give the full game a shot one day.

Top Bottom