• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark of the Ninja |OT| The Art of Stealth

lIFG4l.png

• Title: Mark of the Ninja
  • Developer: Klei Entertainment
  • Format: Xbox LIVE Arcade
  • Release Date: September 7th 2012
  • Price: 1,200 Microsoft Points
  • Xbox Marketplace Page

SI654.png

z63CR.png

The game is about a ninja clan called the Hisomu that has survived past the sengoku jidai—Japan’s warring states period where ninja were the most prolific—into the modern era. This was possible because they acquired an exotic flower whose leaves could be made into ink for tattoos. Receiving these tattoos grants the bearer certain abilities. By utilizing these tattoos and otherwise sticking to their traditional practices the Hisomu quietly exist in present day.

The tattoo ink actually has the side effect of driving anyone who receives the tattoos insane. After discovering this the hard way, the clan ritualized the tattooing such that it’s only utilized during times of crisis, when the clan’s very survival is threatened. Once the threat to the clan has been resolved, whoever received the tattoos is asked to commit ritual suicide. And so, of course, the game begins during one of these moments of crisis where the player’s character is chosen to receive the tattoos.

HWcDR.png

Mark of the Ninja is a 2D stealth game. Like a ‘You can get through the entire game without killing anybody’ type of stealth game. Stealth is achieved not only through the cover of darkness, but also by using sounds and silence to your advantage. The audible volume of your actions - from footsteps, to broken scenery - are represented via sound ripples that increase in circumference depending on how loud your actions are. For example, treading slowly across a hall will create tiny ripples that can only be heard by enemies in close proximity, while running across that same space will create larger ripples that can be heard through walls, floors, and even ceilings.

Players can grapple through the air, cling to walls, and slink around in vents. Time can be slowed down, revealing a thrown object’s trajectory or a sound’s circumference, allowing the player to set up a string of actions.

The game incorporates an upgrade system. By finishing levels, completing side objectives, and finding scrolls, players acquire upgrade points that they can use to unlock more stealth kills, abilities, and equipment.

There is also a separate system that’s all about implementing different ‘Styles.’ Each level in the game contains three side objectives, two of which are themed toward a particular play style and encourages the player to experiment with different mechanics. Every time a side objective is completed, a seal is earned. Finishing three seals will unlock a new ‘Style,’ which is a type of load-out that provides a different set of weapons and abilities (i.e. The Stealth Style silences your character’s footsteps, but doesn’t come equipped with a sword).

v5QTx.png

Csdqb.png

Debut Trailer

E3 2012 Trailer

Launch Trailer

05ZIC.png

IGN 9/10

Mark of the Ninja illustrates how Xbox Live Arcade continues to be a breeding ground for some of today's most creative content. This is stealth done right, with the presentation prowess to match. It's easily a contender for Xbox Live Arcade Game of the Year and it absolutely deserves a place in your digital game collection.

EuroGamer 9/10

A game that never rests on its laurels and offers ample replay value, Mark of the Ninja is a much-needed shot in the arm for Live Arcade's lacklustre summer offering.

EDGE 8/10

Klei Entertainment's latest XBLA release is a slick, striking stealth game with a blackly comic heart.

OXM UK 9/10

A game this smart and surgical can't help but inspire perfectionism in turn. The stealth subgenre's troubles need no further elaboration, but Klei's work shows that a purity of focus gets results, and moreover, that challenge doesn't have to mean frustration. This ninja is marked for greatness.

VentureBeat 93/100

Even if you’ve never liked a stealth game, you shouldn’t miss Mark of the Ninja. It redefines the silent assassin. Klei said it looked to games like Thief and Tenchu when building Ninja. But the next time someone tries to make a game about sneaking around and killing from cover, they will have to take a long, hard look at Mark of the Ninja.

The Controller Online 8/10

Mark of the Ninja does a great job of bringing stealth based gameplay into the 2D space. It may seem simple at first, but you’ll soon be dangling from your grappling hook, shooting out lights and distracting guards with the best of them. If you’re looking for a new XBLA game to kill a few hours before the busy season starts, Mark of the Ninja will happily kill those hours for you. With a knife from behind, most likely.

God is a Geek 9/10

Mark of the Ninja is another outstanding game in what is turning out to be a golden year for XBLA titles. Its flawless mix of puzzle solving, combat, stealth and platforming add up to what is probably Klei Entertainments best title to date. The main story will keep you occupied for around 8 hours and there are enough challenges and unlockables to make you want to come back for more. Things get a little frustrating at the tail-end but, when all is said and done, Mark of the Ninja is a title you don’t want to miss.

GamesRadar 4.5/5

A lot of modern games sacrifice depth and playability in pursuit of other goals, but Mark of the Ninja enjoys an abundance of both. Fast yet measured, breezy yet deep, and above all highly replayable, it's a game that stands as a refreshing example of stealth action done right.

OXM 9.5/10

Stealth and sidescrolling rarely intersect; after all, where are you supposed to hide in a 2D world? Mark of the Ninja seems wholly unfazed by this notion, effortlessly blending elements from both genres with fresh concepts for a dazzling concoction — one that shuns the blade-borne massacres and flashy maneuvers of other shinobi sims in favor of deliberate planning, unseen movements, and precise execution.

Polygon 8.5/10

Mark of Ninja is cohesive, a triumphant meeting of creative level design and well-executed controls. The story is memorable and rewarding. When the credits rolled, I wanted to go again, playing differently than the first time through. Mark of the Ninja feels like Klei's coming of age game, a more mature adventure that salvages the gore, guts, and grime that defined its previous work, and scraps the rest in a surgical maneuver — the work of game design ninjas.

I'm pretty excited about this one. I really enjoyed both Shanks and I'm hoping this one turned out great. Brad from GB seems pretty keen on it, and that's about all the buzz I've really heard on it this week.

Lima

2D game with a beautiful art style and stealth gameplay. What more do you need to know?

Will download when I wake up later.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yes. I have a good feeling this is going to kind of come out of nowhere to be great. Hope I'm right.
Yeah, you're right. I played this at E3 and it's hard to believe it's even from the same devs. And I usually hate stealth games but they pull it off well here.

Adam J.

Don't care what anyone says--Shank (especially 2) is good, shallow fun.

Can't wait to see Klei's take on a stealth game.

Fletcher

What's going on with these XBLA friday releases? I'm not complaining.
What time do these tend to go up? Same time as their wednesday releases?

legbone

Don't care what anyone says--Shank (especially 2) is good, shallow fun.

Can't wait to see Klei's take on a stealth game.

hell yeah. i really enjoyed the first shank. i got the second one for free from ps plus just haven't played it yet.

Shank became too shallow and annoying for me to actually finish it so I didn't look much into Shank 2.

Now this is different. I've been very interested in this ever since I watched the full Giant Bomb Quick Look and heard it praised from the guys at 4pp.

I have a feeling that Klei changing up the speed and genre of gameplay from the transition of Shank to this is what's going to make this click for me. It just looks like they put that much more thought and effort into this. I can't wait!

El-Suave

This isn't published by EA as the Shank games were?
I'm hoping this comes to PSN but if they have an exclusive deal with Xbox I may be out of luck.

teraMEL0S

Excited for this. Although I wasn't huge on Shank, this looks really great. Ninjas and stealth are right up my alley. Now I am just sitting here waiting for it to hit the marketplace.

Edit: Thanks for the link!

Count me in the 'Shank games weren't appealing or very fun' crowd. This, however, looks awesome as hell! Something about 2D treatments of stealth that make 3D ones feel clunky and cumbersome.

Launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0knqt0qSds

Edge 8: http://www.edge-online.com/reviews/mark-ninja-review
Klei’s Saturday morning cartoon style visuals intersect smoothly with your ninja’s slinky animation and flowing moves, and the range of visual effects (position-betraying lightning strikes, a blurred fog of war-style filter on activity beyond your sight line) folds neatly back into the game’s light-and-shadow based stealth systems. The result is a slick and striking game, one with presentation worthy of the potent and flexible set of powers at its core.

Venturebeat 93%: http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/07/m...of-the-stealth-action-genre/#s:screen1_patrol
Like John “Hannibal” Smith of the A-Team, I love it when a plan comes together. Not only does Mark of the Ninja give me the opportunity to devise and execute cool and deadly plans, but the game itself is a supremely executed creative effort. Everything about it fits together flawlessly, and the result is one of my favorite games of the year so far.

Even if you’ve never liked a stealth game, you shouldn’t miss Mark of the Ninja. It redefines the silent assassin. Klei said it looked to games like Thief and Tenchu when building Ninja. But the next time someone tries to make a game about sneaking around and killing from cover, they will have to take a long, hard look at Mark of the Ninja.

OXM (UK) 9: http://www.oxm.co.uk/45617/reviews/mark-of-the-ninja-review/
The campaign lasts around ten hours, but there's some scope for replay thanks to optional Seal challenges, like disposing of a certain number of bodies or killing a certain number of guards while shadowing a key NPC. You'll want to replay Mark of the Ninja, I suspect. A game this smart and surgical can't help but inspire perfectionism in turn. The stealth subgenre's troubles need no further elaboration, but Klei's work shows that a purity of focus gets results, and moreover, that challenge doesn't have to mean frustration. This ninja is marked for greatness.

Median

Played the first level. Wow!

Yeah, it's a pretty good intro to the game. Sea like there's a bunch of different ways to get through a level, and at the end of the level you can get a pretty good score bonus for not killing anyone. Seems pretty good so far.

ShogunX

Was going to wait a few weeks to pick this up but after reading a few of the reviews and watching a few more videos I think this many now be a day 1 purchase.

Surprised by the lack of activity in this thread for a supposed very good game though.

Klei's best XBLA game, and one of the most 'stealthy' stealth games i've ever seen.

If you like Stealth games, or awesome fun games, or both... this is not something you think about buying. This is something you buy and immediately feel good about buying.

Huge congrats to my friends at Klei.

Also, ninjas.

legbone

wow, i'm not even really a fan of stealth games and i'm having a blast with this. it's a sign of good game design when someone like me that doesn't like (and isn't good at them, which is probably why i don't like them) stealth games is having so much fun. great game klei. i loved the shank games but this one is on another level. i can't wait to see what these guys do next. this may be my favorite xbla game of the year so far.

Top Bottom