• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

xiQ1KVQ.jpg

This is the only Spider-Man: Homecoming poster outside of the Mondo one and the yellow jacket one that I have seen that I have liked.

Finally one outlet (ComicBook.com) talking about the timeline screw up in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I hope more report on it and that somebody asks Kevin Feige about it.

MCU is getting so big that we will likely have to let a few things go lol

Continuity is gonna be a mess but at least we are nearing the end of the first MCU timeline with Infinity War

Thats going to be a huge sigh of relief as they figure out where to go next

The Kree

Banned
I think you people are overstating the problem. It's one number they got wrong. The continuity doesn't fall apart because of it. It can easily be fixed in the home release. Relax.

okdakor

Are we really trying to rationalize comic-book continuity ? They've done a good job keeping a chronology, but I don't give too much attention to this criticism...

exYle

Finally one outlet (ComicBook.com) talking about the timeline screw up in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I hope more report on it and that somebody asks Kevin Feige about it.

I did some thinking and I'm pretty sure the timeline makes sense if Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Avengers all take place throughout 2008 (which also means Thor is in that year). The fact that IM2 is six months after IM1 is basically what I'm basing it all off of.

jph139

I did some thinking and I'm pretty sure the timeline makes sense if Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Avengers all take place throughout 2008 (which also means Thor is in that year). The fact that IM2 is six months after IM1 is basically what I'm basing it all off of.

It's definitely workable if you push back and consolidate pretty much all if Phase 1. But that also means that you have to tag Iron Man 3 to pre-2010 as well.

Weirdly enough this actually doesn't break Agents of SHIELD much, if at all, and makes the Defenders timeline a LOT more reasonable. It just makes it kind of odd that, for example, Winter Soldier takes place 5+ years after Avengers.

Do any Phase 2 movies reference other films' events with any specificity? Beyond "they happened before this one" and all.

El Topo

Of course it's not all perfectly and meticulously planned out. How could it be, given how much they have shifted movies around?
I don't think these are huge issues though. One can easily work around them.

SpaceWolf

Banned
For me, that dream is dead.

The movies are really starting to look like a completely different universe to the stuff on TV.

Oh, the dream is absolutely dead, especially now that Infinity War is approaching the end of filming. Occasionally though, I just like to slip back into a deranged form of denial that will no doubt turn me to madness.

El Topo

We already know that Captain Marvel is going to be in it.

My memory isn't the best. I remember the Russo brothers talking about it, the casting call, but I think that's about it, no? On the other side, we also have Feige sort of implying she would not appear prior to her movie.
Don't recall if Brie Larson was spotted on the set for Infinity War either.

Pachimari

Brie Larson haven't been spotted at the set of Infinity War, and I also don't think she's gonna be in it. We will see her first in Captain Marvel and then Avengers 4.

Oh, the dream is absolutely dead, especially now that Infinity War is approaching the end of filming. Occasionally though, I just like to slip back into a deranged form of denial that will no doubt turn me to madness.
The only flicker of hope that remains is Daredevil appearing in a Spider-Man movie.

Honestly the only crossover I care about.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Speaking about The Defenders and the other TV characters, I was actually thinking about this particular quote from the Russo's a few days ago:

In March 2016, the Russos explained that they were exploring new ways to deliver additional material to audiences for the films, usually reserved for physical home media releases. Given the declining sales for Blu-ray and DVD, Anthony stated, "We're just in the beginning phases of figuring [this] out. Yes, DVDs are gone but there is this wonderful internet platform out there called YouTube." One example he provided was creating "more elaborate versions of trailers ... that are shot specifically for online that will never appear in the movie but that may appear as a kind of short film."

Next year, I could potentially anticipate Marvel Entertainment releasing a lot of online content to help promote Infinity War, sort of like how a lot of online stuff was released to promote the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary, where Paul McGann shot an elaborate mini-story, along with some other in-universe content. I could see Marvel adopting a similar strategy, placating fans of the TV shows by releasing an online mini-movie, in conjunction with Netflix, which could reveal what the Defenders were up to during the events of the film, which could perhaps even find them interacting with one of the more minor movie characters, like Hawkeye. That way, even if the TV characters didn't get to physically appear in the film, they would still feel at least tangentially connected to the event. It could be a really nice marketing strategy, releasing a short film to Netflix and their online channels, involving the Netflix characters, in a way that would actively promote Marvel's upcoming movie.

Again though, given the widening divide between Marvel's film and television departments, even that would be something of a deranged hope.

The only flicker of hope that remains is Daredevil appearing in a Spider-Man movie.

Honestly the only crossover I care about.

I mean, at least there's this...

But if we believe Spider-Man: Homecoming producer Eric Carroll, getting Daredevil (Charlie Cox) to show up on a future Spidey movie is just a matter of time. After all, as New York City-based street-level superheroes (and friends), Spider-Man and Daredevil often join forces in the pages of the Marvel comics to take down various thugs and supervillains threatening the Big Apple.

In a recent article over at Cinema Blend, Carroll revealed Homecoming won't feature a specific reference to the Man Without Fear, but if it were up to him, Matt Murdock would cross paths with Peter Parker (Tom Holland) "sooner rather than later." Here's what the producer said:

”[He's] not specifically referenced in this movie, no. I think that's something we all think would be really fun, and it's definitely a card I would love to see played, if not sooner rather than later. But as of now, it's not referenced in this movie."

If that ever happens though, watch Charlie Cox get recast in the role.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It can't be too much to ask for a scene in Infinity War where they're going over the roster of heroes to gather and someone calls out, "Hey, what about that devil guy in Hell's Kitchen?" and Tony just brushes him off as being too low level or something. Like, that's all I need. Pretty please Marvel, pleeeeeeeease!?!?!?

SpaceWolf

Banned
It can't be too much to ask for a scene in Infinity War where they're going over the roster of heroes to gather and someone calls out, "Hey, what about that devil guy in Hell's Kitchen?" and Tony just brushes him off as being too low level or something. Like, that's all I need. Pretty please Marvel, pleeeeeeeease!?!?!?

Bury your hopes, my son.

uel6q8A.png

Yeah, I've pretty much gotten over any hope of the TV side intersecting with the movie side. Maybe, maybe, we got some AoS reference if they ever get Coulson back, but I doubt we see Netflix side. I just treat it like MCU fanfiction at this point.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Got two of the best MCU movies to date with Guardians 2 & Homecoming and we ain't even gotten to Thor yet. Such an insane year for Marvel.

The Kree

Banned
If the MCU moves in real time how will they keep Peter in high school?

That's the conclusion people seem to keep coming to. They've modified the timeline so that they can squeeze more high school stuff out of him. The next few movies are going to have to happen over a very short time frame.

MCU is getting so big that we will likely have to let a few things go lol

Continuity is gonna be a mess but at least we are nearing the end of the first MCU timeline with Infinity War

Thats going to be a huge sigh of relief as they figure out where to go next

It's just weird, because this wasn't some huge screw up. It's a title card. The year the movie takes place is wholly inconsequential to the plot. It's weird that that slipped through the cracks lol

curb

Banned
Just for back from Homecoming and I loved it. Loved it.

Before this year, I was coming out of MCU movies a little undecided and then they'd grow on me after later viewings but I came out of both this and Guardians 2 super pleased. Bring on Ragnarok (and maybe a second showing of Homecoming)

Lawd, I soooo want to see
that Avengers Spidey suit in action at some point.

Pachimari

It's weird how they messed up with the "8 years later..." since they got it all so carefully laid out.

I hope they fix it for the home release.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird how they messed up with the "8 years later..." since they got it all so carefully laid out.

I hope they fix it for the home release.
I'm in 100% agreement with you on that. I'm a continuity whore so seeing that 8 years later thing really pissed me off.

I'm glad that the movies and Netflix shows don't intersect. Can't have the stench of Scott Buck tarnish the MCU. This way I still might get a good Iron Fist in my lifetime.

Top Bottom