• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Spider-Man: Homecoming has earned $257 million worldwide so far which is really nice. It hasn't opened in markets like China, Japan, France, Germany, or Spain yet either. And with this earning, the MCU has now passed $12 billion at the Box Office, although Marvel Studios and Disney doesn't earn anything on Homecoming besides merchandising.
Come on, Fox. You want free money, right!?

Wiped89

It still amazes me that Spider-man Homecoming actually happened. Seeing the Sony logos at the start, followed by the Marvel Studios one later, knowing Disney owns them... was weird.

Anyway, my ranking on the MCU now:

A* Tier:
Iron Man
Iron Man 3
Avengers Assemble
Doctor Strange
Civil War
Spider-man Homecoming

A Tier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor
Ant-Man

B tier
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Thor 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron

C Tier
Captain America: The First Avenger

D Tier
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk

Come on, Fox. You want free money, right!?
It’s such a no brainer I don’t know why they won’t do the same thing.

Marvel have proven they can always make a film that is at least enjoyable and more importantly make money.

Fox have shown that they cant do the same thing themselves with a FF movie (first one was fun at least).

Just let Marvel make your films for you and collect the payment afterwards simple.

The only reason I can think of for why Fox wont get rid of FF is that they are still hoping to create their own cinematic universe and hope that FF can be a big part of it.

Pachimari

Disney also need to be okay with Marvel producing yet another movie for another company who will reach the benefits of the box office earnings. The more movies Marvel produce for these other company's, the less movies can Marvel make in Disney's schedule.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I actually had more fun with IM2 than I expected. The CGI is miles ahead of the first one, RDJ is perfect as usual, and Sam Rockwell is wonderfully cheesy.

Dont get me wrong, its not good by ny means, but I didnt mind it this time around. Watching Thor now, and Hemsworth looks like a BABY, good lord.

Pachimari

Kevin Feige talks about the final scene in Spider-Man: Homecoming and how he wanted it ever since Spider-Man 2:
“J. Michael Straczynski did an issue when he was doing his run of Spidey many years ago where she discovered the secret. I think it was in the laundry or something, and they had a sit-down scene. And probably going back to Spider-Man 2, I would sort of carry that issue around and go, ‘We should do this someday, we should do this someday.’ And it was great luck that it hadn’t been done yet. That was always part of the plan."
Feige likened the move to when Marvel Studios chose to have Tony stark reveal himself as Iron Man in the 2008 film. "And very much like our instinct to say, ‘Let’s have Tony Stark say "I'm Iron Man"' at the end. Well, what does that mean for the next movie? I don’t know, but it will force us to do something unique. We did not want to do the secret identity thing at that point in the MCU. And now, same thing. The dynamic now is forced to be something fresh and something unique going forward.”

Disney also need to be okay with Marvel producing yet another movie for another company who will reach the benefits of the box office earnings. The more movies Marvel produce for these other company's, the less movies can Marvel make in Disney's schedule.

Basically this. People are naive if they think Fox is the only party holding up Marvel from making movies for them. Marvel is losing a lot in opportunity cost for making Spider-Man movies for Sony and the only way they can justify that is all the extra merchandising they would make for Disney (which is not something they can say for the Fox properties).

Has anyone seen this:

DEYaf4RUMAAPORP.jpg:large

James Gunn: This may be the greatest thing I’ve ever worked on - a #GuardiansInferno video coming with #GotGVol2 on home video.

BLACKLAC

I haven't done a ranking for a while.

Great:
Captain America: Civil War
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Spider-Man Homecoming
The Avengers

Good:
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Doctor Strange
Captain America: The First Avenger

Decent:
Thor
Ant-Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 3

Eh:
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Thor: The Dark World

I'd be surprised if Ragnarok and Black Panther aren't top tier.

Pretty much right there with you.

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
5. The Avengers
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Captain America: The First Avenger
8. Doctor Strange
9. Ant-Man
10. Iron Man 3
11. Iron Man 1
12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
13. Thor
----POWER GAP----
14. Iron Man 2
----POWER GAP----
15. The Incredible Hulk
16. Thor: The Dark World

Pachimari

The ending for Homecoming was fantastic. I loved Marisa Tomei's delivery.

I'm so glad we only have to wait two years for the sequel.

SpaceWolf

Banned
She's only less attractive in that particular book, and even then that's debatable since every character is rendered as goofy looking in unbeatable.

That's how I like her best, though. A less conventionally attractive looking version of the character helps cement her status as something of an outside in the wider world of superheroes, which is always invariably full of gorgeous, perfect looking people. It helps make her stand-out. That's why I was originally sort of rooting for a Kirsten Schaal type for the role (I was actually extremely keen on Kirsten Schaal for a while before having to face the fact that she's just too old now to play the character).

At the end of the day, it's always the talents of the actor in question that matters, not so much what they look like, but still...I feel that would have been a more interesting choice.

Pachimari

So what are they gonna use their powers for? What is Night Trasher's power even? What do the New Warriors typically deal with? What am I to expect from this superhero group?

Well, if they looked at Shannon Purser and Mae Whitman and still chose her, I really hope she nails the spirit of Squirrel Girl even if she doesn't really look the part.

shingi70

Banned
That's how I like her best, though. A less conventionally attractive looking version of the character helps cement her status as something of an outside in the wider world of superheroes, which is always invariably full of gorgeous, perfect looking people. It helps make her stand-out. That's why I was originally sort of rooting for a Kirsten Schaal type for the role (I was actually extremely keen on Kirsten Schaal for a while before having to face the fact that she's just too old now to play the character).

At the end of the day, it's always the talents of the actor in question that matters, not so much what they look like, but still...I feel that would have been a more interesting choice.

But Kirsten Schaal is hot.

fwiw, This is Us had the Squirrel Girl actress play the frumpy, less attractive option in a love triangle. Yeah. Maybe TV producers have whacked out standards.

Pachimari

So we might be getting a Black Panther trailer, Avengers: Infinity War trailer (probably for the atendees only) and some Ant-Man and the Wasp character art and such?

Wasp looks great!

Pachimari

Yeah, we almost just got a Black Panther trailer. And how could I forget about Thor. Can't believe we're only 3 months away from it. I wonder who's gonna be the villain in Ant-Man and the Wasp?

Top Bottom