• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

I've been play Colossus recently and while I'm almost level 60 with him, I can't wrap my head around him completely. He's a tank, deals out significant damage, and has some hardy summons. Yet he doesn't seem superior in any category. I'm not sure how to be balance him. I'm not sure if I want to invest much time into him beyond level 60 if only because I can't stand his voice. However he is an excellent choice for taking on the Man Ape one shot.

Flat damage rating isn't *that* much worse off. If I get a high roll for damage rating, I'll just keep it rather than re-roll for a critical damage rating (Which could roll lower).
In general, one would think that a base damage increase would be better, since crit and brut damage calculations use it as a base and your non-crits would ve stronger.
Ex:
- Base of 1,000 with 50% crit would be 1,500.
- Base increase of 15% would be 1,150 * 1.5 = 1,725.
- Crit increase of 15% would be 1,000 * 1.65 = 1,650.

However, I assume the max ammount increased in base damage doesn't compare to the max ammount increased in crit damage, thus why that's preferred.

Critical damage is an amazing stat for almost every character. Anyone stating otherwise on the official forums was on crack.

Brutal damage is very undertuned and not something you should be stacking on almost any character.

Base damage isn't a bad stat, but it's harder to find large amounts of critical damage outside of costumes (and Gungnir).

If you are a summoner build, you should only focus on critical rating (NOT critical damage rating). Your pets get nothing from base damage rating or critical damage. They only work off of summon damage, critical rating, health, and defense.

GManDH

crit damage is very important and so is brut, HOWEVER brut damage has a HUGE diminishing return problem. ill edit and post but there is a post that i saw on other SG that shows you shouldnt try to get brut damage above a certain number because after that you arent gaining anything.

Crit damage & brute damage got no DR. crit rating & brute rating however suffer from DR

so i was wrong. but thats what i found.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
decided to take a break from this for few months, ive been playing consitently since last december and from the time ive spent ive enjoyed it but ive also come to realise how annoying every patch their is their is always loads of bugs either old ones popping back up or new ones creeping in.

i understand their will always be bugs ive played enough mmo's what amazes me is how its mostly always the same ones, or just really poor testing and missing things that shouldnt be.,

GManDH

decided to take a break from this for few months, ive been playing consitently since last december and from the time ive spent ive enjoyed it but ive also come to realise how annoying every patch their is their is always loads of bugs either old ones popping back up or new ones creeping in.

i understand their will always be bugs ive played enough mmo's what amazes me is how its mostly always the same ones, or just really poor testing and missing things that shouldnt be.,

go play another ARPG till u get sick of it then come back and repeat.

Blank!

crit damage is very important and so is brut, HOWEVER brut damage has a HUGE diminishing return problem. ill edit and post but there is a post that i saw on other SG that shows you shouldnt try to get brut damage above a certain number because after that you arent gaining anything.

Crit damage & brute damage got no DR. crit rating & brute rating however suffer from DR

so i was wrong. but thats what i found.

The issue with brutal damage is 2 fold. For one it only applies to a fraction of your total attacks. 50% crit chance and 50% brutal mears only 25% of all your attacks will benefit from that stat... and most people aren't going to hit those benchmarks.

The other problem is availability. On an insignia you can get 1000 crit damage rating or 1000 brutal rating but crit will affect far more of your total damage than brutals.

Brutal damage is 9 times out of 10 a "trap" stat to go for.

FeD.nL

The issue with brutal damage is 2 fold. For one it only applies to a fraction of your total attacks. 50% crit chance and 50% brutal mears only 25% of all your attacks will benefit from that stat... and most people aren't going to hit those benchmarks.

The other problem is availability. On an insignia you can get 1000 crit damage rating or 1000 brutal rating but crit will affect far more of your total damage than brutals.

Brutal damage is 9 times out of 10 a "trap" stat to go for.

I'm probably wrong here but in the example you gave aren't they both equally important, I mean the exact wording of Brut chance is that 50% of your crit hits instead will be brut. With a 50% critical chance it should come down to the following (right?)":

50% normal hits
25% critical hits
25% brutal hits

Blank!

I'm probably wrong here but in the example you gave aren't they both equally important, I mean the exact wording of Brut chance is that 50% of your crit hits instead will be brut. With a 50% critical chance it should come down to the following (right?)":

50% normal hits
25% critical hits
25% brutal hits

The difference is damage rating effects all 3. Crit damage effects critical and brutals. brutal damage only affects brutals.

Crit damage also tends to come in 3 to 4 times the value of damage rating for a given slot which makes it worth using over damage rating. Brutal damage rating doesn't come at a higher value than crit damage rating though.

When I get home tonight I'll be starting up a new hero. Still undecided. Unplayed I have the following:

Captain America
Daredevil
Doctor Strange
Thing
Hulk
Star-Lord
Taskmaster
Squirrel Girl
Black Widow
Storm
Cyclops

I've gotten to 60 with Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye now. Wouldn't mind someone that feels different than those. I thought Scarlet was great at AoE but slow on bosses and Hawkeye was essentially the opposite where I didn't like his AoE as much but was super quick on bosses. I really liked SW's mobility since she teleported through walls. Not too sure how many heroes do that over rolls and such (Doctor Strange I saw has a teleport and I would imagine Nightcrawler, who I don't have).

I'm thinking Squirrel Girl just to try a pet class. Or is she not considered a pet class since you're constantly using them and getting more?

Just up for some thoughts on who to go to next. After forcing my way through Hawkeye I'd like someone considered "fun" so I think that means I won't be doing Black Widow. Heard she's fairly terrible.

Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts towards these heroes.

Mupod

Definitely Strange. Very powerful and unique playstyle. This game's main strength is that they can throw tons of heroes at the wall and see what sticks, and Strange is one of the coolest characters I've ever gotten to play in this genres.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
updated power cosmic legendary

JkHsu7X.jpg

i cant tell what the nerf is if any

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think the nerf is rogue-specific, the tier 5 only stacks twice per power, as she has much easier access to all damage types than most characters.

JkHsu7X.jpg

I'm unsure what Level 1 and 5 was like before, but Level 2-4 were shuffled around with what grants what buffs. Before, each level corresponded to one damage type buffing both other types. Now, it's reversed where two types will grant a buff to the third type. At level 4, it still works the same as before, but it is a nerf if you only have it at 2 or 3.

Blank!

JkHsu7X.jpg

The nerf was rogue specific. It was possible for Rogue (and only Rogue) to proc ranks 2-4 and gain +3000 damage rating to all. They've altered it so that it's only possible to gain +1500 damage to all.

All (current) hybrid heroes could only get +1500 damage rating out of it. That has not changed.

EDIT: The prior wording was something like:

gain +1500 physical/energy damage rating when you hit with a mental power.
Gain +1500 energy/mental damage rating when you hit with a physical power.
Gain +1500 physical/mental damage rating when you hit with a energy power.

So a mental/energy hybrid like cable would gain +3000 damage rating to physical (effectively pointless outside of a physical-based teamup), +1500 energy damage, and +1500 mental damage. So I guess in a round-about way it's also a nerf to teamup heroes :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the female Thor costume that was teased a few days ago (along with angel team up, etc) is confirmed to be the new Thor, not Earth X lady Thor

this one

portrait_uncanny.jpg

earth X thor will be this

EarthX_05_Cover.jpg

10351515_513644142097957_5813975611023109089_n.jpg

Ploid 3.0

Before Rogue could get double buffs from the damage types. Two occurrences of +1500 Mental, Physical, and Energy. Rogue and Doom can still get 3 attribute points though, the +3000 damage to Physical Mental and Energy would have been nuts.

Volimar

I've gotten Punisher to low 40s. He's so meh. I feel like all you need out of him is his basic and an aoe skill, any of his aoe skills, and that's about as good as you'll get out of him.

He does okay damage, but I dunno...

Even his ult is meh.

meh

Drayco21

end of sept i think? because end of sept is also when they plan on getting her costume out

Her and Ghost Rider's QoL changes are coming in a "major patch" at the end of the month, alongside Right-Clops' 52 review, and a QoL revamp for Star-Lord's Element Gun tree.

And potentially Dick Rider, unless they delay him to early October before Magneto.

Rhaknar

Got a bad rolled GOK while farming with Declarius today and sold it for 8 blessings, 4 friggas for Rocket and 4 helas for whatever dps I put them in (probably Reed). I just need to get Rocket's slot 1 now and I'll pretty much have 2 heroes decent enough to raid if I ever decide to / find a group on my time.

Which means I can now buy all the legendaries I want for my heroes without having to worry about it, which makes me happy. Got a control rod for Storm, and almost enough stones for Power Cosmic for Rogue

It was a good day :)

Edit: i need that armor event artifact for rocket bad, can't wait for that event to return. It helps that Rocket is probably top 5 favorite heroes

Edit: I'm broke as shit now

Ken

Got a bad rolled GOK while farming with Declarius today and sold it for 8 blessings, 4 friggas for Rocket and 4 helas for whatever dps I put them in (probably Reed). I just need to get Rocket's slot 1 now and I'll pretty much have 2 heroes decent enough to raid if I ever decide to / find a group on my time.

Which means I can now buy all the legendaries I want for my heroes without having to worry about it, which makes me happy. Got a control rod for Storm, and almost enough stones for Power Cosmic for Rogue

It was a good day :)

Edit: i need that armor event artifact for rocket bad, can't wait for that event to return. It helps that Rocket is probably top 5 favorite heroes

Edit: I'm broke as shit now

the gok i got after yours must be the worst gok on the planet lol

Damn I would've totally bought that GoK from you. If you get another and want to sell it lemme know.

Moondrop

Banned
Test Center download speeds 3-4 mB/s...

I should test Rogue's DPS but I just don't care. Either you'll find her fun or not. And some people won't; I didn't love all that many stolen skills at first glance. But she will receive a new skill with every hero and villain release.

Instead I want to test drive some heroes I don't have. Psylocke, Silver Surfer, and Mr. Fantastic are first in queue.

Down to ~100kb/s... we used to live like this.

Rhaknar

Is the Odin event the next one? I need to start saving for a Nova legendary, I have a feeling I'll love him

Blank!

if I ever raid it will be on Reed so any other character its just for general play / cosmics / whatever

yeah I liked the cooldown on accorn coinciding with the others. also it looks awesome. im surprised you say the crit passive isnt a must, I thought all you dps nuts (no pun intended) always get all the dps passives :p

Kind of a late response but wanted to look at my hero to confirm some stuff.

The passive gives me ~250 crit rating (from leaving it at 1 point, to maxing it) which is just under a 2% crit rating increase for me. It also gives a pointless amount of spirit/deflection chance. If I was min-maxing for single target damage then I'd probably get it, but that's REALLY poor return.

Also note, I'm not even using crit rating for costume affixes for her and I'm at 43% crit (would be 47% if I owned Moonknight which I don't, but I don't think the physical crit would translate to squirrels anyway).

Final side note, in terms of single target damage Acorn Artillery > Hulkbuster > Death from trees when they're at the same level. I personally went with maxing Acorn/DFT and 1-pointing hulkbuster as the damage difference between hulkbuster/dft is incredibly close and dft has more utility overall.

(EDIT) Also, I respec'ed my Thing and went raiding. In case anyone was wondering, 1 point Endure assault lets you tank everything from twin meteors (I solo'ed one) to Surtur "take covers" with ease. Also comes with an empower ultimate and backhand smashes that brut for 1.2 million and have ~2 second cooldown on Surtur thanks to fire DoT's. Highly underrated.

Since Kepow is keeping tabs on my Rocket: all four blessings on solid artifacts, level 3 legendary, full item level 66 and 63 uniques, and I completed the raid on him last night.

Raiding on a summoner build Rocket is a total blast. He changes the way you do three of the fights, all for the better. I'm positive I'm not pumping out world-class damage compared to my Star-Lord, but he has infinite sustain and decent damage, plus a lot of utility.

We had one of the most hodge podge raid setups ever. You'd be proud, since our raid leader was playing Thing. We had two Cyclops, a Scarlet Witch, a Jean Grey, two Rockets, a Silver Surfer, a Doctor Strange, and a Nightcrawler. Somehow we managed to one-shot everything up through Surtur, and he bugged out on the portals the first attempt. We took him down the next try.

For the record, I tried playing Mr. Fantastic more today and he is the squishiest melee character in the game. He has to be. I didn't even have that much of an issue playing Nightcrawler. I'm using a defensive rune word, defensive artifacts, stacking health and dodge...all to no avail. He disintegrates instantly when anything hits him. We ran a Doop portal and I couldn't survive anything.

So he's fun to play, but I'm done with him unless he's given better survivability. I can't imagine taking him into a raid.

Next up: Psylocke!

Blank!

It's 9 weeks of raiding only (no SQ's/man-ape) to get everything. One complete raid a week. It's honestly not THAT bad, especially since the upgrade isn't anything amazing anyway.

It's a marginal increase in defense/damage/HP and +1 to any skill that isn't an entire tree/everything.

Indignate

This might be the main reason why I never got into MMOs.

I hate grinding for this shit and I knew that at some point I would have do it in those types of games.

At least this gives me a ton of characters to level when I get aggravated after my 100th Sinister run of the day.

Rhaknar

this is why SQs need to be done everyday and raids help. i dont raid but i might at the end of the year so i can upgrade all before end of year.

I don't care about upgrading except for 1 character, the "raid character" (which initially would be Reed but now it's looking more and more like Rocket) and I wanted to do it to be more "in shape" for a raid. But at those prices you need raids to do it, making my initial intention null and void :p

Volimar

I don't care about upgrading except for 1 character, the "raid character" (which initially would be Reed but now it's looking more and more like Rocket) and I wanted to do it to be more "in shape" for a raid. But at those prices you need raids to do it, making my initial intention null and void :p

You also get eyes for killing manape.

This might be the main reason why I never got into MMOs.

I hate grinding for this shit and I knew that at some point I would have do it in those types of games.

At least this gives me a ton of characters to level when I get aggravated after my 100th Sinister run of the day.

You definitely don't need those upgrades for any reason. They're really there for people who will do red level raids when those come out. There's no reason for them otherwise and that's whey they're tied so closely to raid currency in the first place.

Moondrop

Banned
I actually like Psylocke a lot, as a melee build. Psionic Projection is the exact power I asked to be implemented for Jean on the official forums. Constructs seem fun, if restrictive.

Mr. Fantastic is a triumph of animation and design. He really brings range into consideration with his first tree.

Silver Surfer seems cool and innovative with his ability to slip around the battlefield. I don't know if I want to sign up for that spirit management though.

All three are true to form, but the only one I'll be sure to pick up is Psylocke.

Top Bottom