• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

So, if we don't place top 100 in Season 1, are we going to be screwed for all of the Season 2 PVE events?

Also, I was going to say that I have been getting really good luck on the Assault tokens, but then I received a classic storm, MN Thor, and Yellow Cap in a row...

it seems unlikely, but there is a simple way to make sure that it doesn't matter...
we will just have to take a top 100 in season 1
which should be possible if we just take a top 100 in every pvp event :p

im surprised that there are so many people in gaf-vengers that haven't even done a single match in the punisher event yet.

I am sorry! My excuse is that I had to travel for work the last two days, coupled with a total loss of motor function in my right hand!

I know I shat the bed in the savage tourney too. Schedule will open up this evening.

animus82

Banned
TOOo much stuff going on!

This game is getting way too demanding. I play all day at work and a bit at home. And I finish only like top 25.

How much you guys wanna bet that the top alliances will just max out Fury also. Gonna be awesome.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

This game is getting way too demanding. I play all day at work and a bit at home. And I finish only like top 25.

How much you guys wanna bet that the top alliances will just max out Fury also. Gonna be awesome.
Yeah right now there is too much to know what to use heroes on. Sucks if you don't have a ton of viable heroes either :/

The Hunt in general is a massive slog. I hate it.

shaowebb

Nick. Fucking. Fury.

I'm in. I wanted black Nick Fury in Marvel pullin his kind of super spy mastermind trickery. Better believe I wants me one in my puzzle quests. Stupid finals week...

hitoman

Thread lurker here but are they are any open alliances I can join? I've been procrastinating in joining one but i'm an active player.

zulux21

They won't be able to max out fury... even spending money the best anyone will be able to do after season 1 is get max purple on him by spending 10k hp on him after you get a single purple cover.

ideally we will get some other chances to get him (aside from the one we will get by getting a top 100 because we are awesome :p)
Yeah right now there is too much to know what to use heroes on. Sucks if you don't have a ton of viable heroes either :/

The Hunt in general is a massive slog. I hate it.

I am not having a ton of issue with people.
Have a roster of 33 made up of every 3/4 star and most 2 stars (not the really crappy ones like bag man) and select 1 stars (not enough for lone star but still)

then just save up my iso for when I need to level someone.

full details on fury's purple move
8kXVv.png

details on falcon nerf

Yeah, I thought that Falcon "inspiration" move seemed a little insane when I first read it. 70% damage increase? He'd quickly be required to even compete, even moreso than OBW.

WIthout my precious OBW im having a bad time in the Widow PVP. Trying to get 300+ points and a top 100.

One Star Storm + Thor, and always pick the lower right desert fight. Use the first couple of moves picking up 5 red, if possible, then use Storm's red move, then Oasis, then her green move, then let the mayhem begin. Only use Thor's yellow, not his red or green, and only GSBW's purple. Until the end that is, and once the enemies are below 1500/700/700, shut it down with Thor's green.

With a little luck, they'll barely get any turns at all.

shaowebb

One Star Storm + Thor, and always pick the lower right desert fight. Use the first couple of moves picking up 5 red, if possible, then use Storm's red move, then her green move, then let the mayhem begin. Only use Thor's yellow, not his red or green, and only GSBW's purple. Until the end that is, and once the enemies are below 1500/700/700, shut it down with Thor's green.

At high level matches, though this still works, I'm finding its slow and people attack such teams rampantly as Widow/Storm are easy kills. Being a target people attack and taking forever to clear matches isn't cutting it.

I've been trying to use Daken/Ares in as many events as I can now. I generally toss them in with Widow to heal them over in a PVE outside of my matches every 4 or 5 to keep em fresh and so I dont run low on heals. No one attacks them and they snuff folks fast and hard. I'm thinking of Rocking Daken/Hulk/Ares now that Hulk has max green and at least 3 black covers. Guaranteed a team no one will ambitiously target.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
maybe I need to use Ares more. Mine is 1 green/0 red/5 yellow, though, so I don't know if he's super useful yet. What IS the optimal build for him?

I have mine on a 5/3/5, and it keeps people from attacking me as a deterrent more than being useful. His green is a 1-hit KO terror and even though I never use his yellow, it's also a 1-hit KO terror people don't want to get one of their people knocked out with. He's pretty wild, even if I just have him for looks.

shaowebb

maybe I need to use Ares more. Mine is 1 green/0 red/5 yellow, though, so I don't know if he's super useful yet. What IS the optimal build for him?

Anything so long as you have 5 green. 5 green covers means if he has two successful matches of green on the board and hits 6 green AP he can hit for around 1600+...however there is no upper limit to his damage with green. He simply KEEPS DOING MORE DAMAGE FOR ALL GREEN. You get him at 12 green AP to 20 green AP and you one shot folks with around 3000+ health. I maxed him at 30 green AP once and downed a ridiculously healthy Hulk.

Plus anything with his symbol on the board generally hits in the higher end of damage ranges when matched so pairing him with Daken ensures around 400 damage a pop with Daken's strike tiles...and you WILL have them as Ares WILL be fishing for green matches.

Plus Daken sits back and heals all day.

My Ares is a 5/5/3 build and the red hits whole teams for around 1300 or something near it at no cost. Thats why I chose it over his yellow as even though Sunder hits hard it has the following faults
  • its expensive
  • the computer OFTEN pops yellow and in spite of what people say its not easy to keep his countdown timer alive long enough for it to go off, deal damage and heal him
  • even if his timer heals him, at max level he still loses several hundred and is extremely vulnerable. Lets face it...you use Ares to fight rough battles and you cannot afford to lose health often in matches. If you use sunder you highly limit the amount of matches you can take before losing gas.

Yellow is alright. Hits for like 2300 and another 800 ish if the timer goes off but it wrecks your health and makes you a target in matches and makes you run out of gas before you can grind very far if you use it. I rely on Red/Green and it does well.

Askani

I actually do the 4/4/5 Ares.

Level 5 Green for Ares only lowers the cost to 5. Usually, I need to do a green attack immediately in the start of a match or I'm going to save up for the extra damage so the cost is moot. So If you look at making the first match, it's at most two matches. If you lower the cost to 5, it's still on average going to take you two matches to get there unless you get a lucky 5 green match on round one or a 4 green match that takes out another green in the row. Those instances are rare.

Level 3 in Red only changes the health percentage but Level 4 increases the damage. At level 85, the difference is 150 per char for 450 total. Level 5 only increase the percentage which isn't useful to me. Usually if I'm that far down in health I have bigger problems or I'm already on my way to a loss.

I feel like the extra red damage is worth it versus the rare chance that I can fire an Ares match maybe one turn sooner.

Level 5 Sunder reduces the countdown to 2 and makes it more viable.

It's all personal preference of course but that's the build that's been working for me.

GAF-kanda, I have to confess to something. I was looking at our alliance page because I saw someone asking about availability and saw that we were at 11/13 spaces. I also noticed there were 4 people who were pending (and most of them had even mentioned in chat that they needed to be accepted). I went ahead and accepted the first two in the list but it wouldn't let me accept the other two - I didn't realize that while they were pending they did not count in the alliance total.

The good news is we may have 15 members. The bad news is someone has to pony up the 1400 and 1500 to open those spots.

Anything I should do?

shaowebb

I actually do the 4/4/5 Ares.

Level 5 Green for Ares only lowers the cost to 5. Usually, I need to do a green attack immediately in the start of a match or I'm going to save up for the extra damage so the cost is moot. So If you look at making the first match, it's at most two matches. If you lower the cost to 5, it's still on average going to take you two matches to get there unless you get a lucky 5 green match on round one or a 4 green match that takes out another green in the row. Those instances are rare.

Level 3 in Red only changes the health percentage but Level 4 increases the damage. At level 85, the difference is 150 per char for 450 total. Level 5 only increase the percentage which isn't useful to me. Usually if I'm that far down in health I have bigger problems or I'm already on my way to a loss.

I feel like the extra red damage is worth it versus the rare chance that I can fire an Ares match maybe one turn sooner.

Level 5 Sunder reduces the countdown to 2 and makes it more viable.

It's all personal preference of course but that's the build that's been working for me.

Ares just plain works in general really. One of the highest damaging members of the cast and he's never too expensive. Pack him with a green boost at the start of a match or any competent battery character and it just gets insane. Man does he work well with Hulk Daken though...so much green and damage.

Askani

Ares just plain works in general really. One of the highest damaging members of the cast and he's never too expensive. Pack him with a green boost at the start of a match or any competent battery character and it just gets insane. Man does he work well with Hulk Daken though...so much green and damage.

I was surprised how useful he is. For awhile I liked him more than Thor. Now it's a toss up but I look at them as equals.

shaowebb

I was surprised how useful he is. For awhile I liked him more than Thor. Now it's a toss up but I look at them as equals.

Agreed. Though I find them an either/or thing and dont pair them much. I know Thor can battery green, but at that point you may as well call the storm so its either I go for a Thor team or an Ares team because they just sorta both cover their colors so well that I dont ever need both. I often pair Ares with MN Mags and Classic Storm since they rely on other colors. It works well, gives me a full spectrum spread of options and I have both team shots, stuns, board control and solid single character damage. Not as fun as Daken/Hulk/Ares, and more of a target but its pretty decent pairing Ares with any 2 man setup that works.

zulux21

GAF-kanda, I have to confess to something. I was looking at our alliance page because I saw someone asking about availability and saw that we were at 11/13 spaces. I also noticed there were 4 people who were pending (and most of them had even mentioned in chat that they needed to be accepted). I went ahead and accepted the first two in the list but it wouldn't let me accept the other two - I didn't realize that while they were pending they did not count in the alliance total.

The good news is we may have 15 members. The bad news is someone has to pony up the 1400 and 1500 to open those spots.

Anything I should do?

in general I just add people when I am around and the new player confirms they are willing to buy the next slot. the alliance needs more slots open and it makes sense for the people joining to pay to not only get in but support growth...
it would be nice if gaf-kanda could get to 20 members before the season is over so they have a small shot at getting a fury cover.

Agreed. Though I find them an either/or thing and dont pair them much. I know Thor can battery green, but at that point you may as well call the storm so its either I go for a Thor team or an Ares team because they just sorta both cover their colors so well that I dont ever need both. I often pair Ares with MN Mags and Classic Storm since they rely on other colors. It works well, gives me a full spectrum spread of options and I have both team shots, stuns, board control and solid single character damage. Not as fun as Daken/Hulk/Ares, and more of a target but its pretty decent pairing Ares with any 2 man setup that works.

heh... call the storm... more like call the lame :3
1 star storm's lightning strike is so much better :p
sure it takes longer but I only use thor on stages that have thorns or oasis anyways so it's not to bad.

my go to team right now...
max level patch, max level 2 star widow, max level 1 star storm lol.
In general I wish I could motivate myself to use the two star storm, but there are just better options in general (including the 1 star storm most of the time)

I suppose it doesn't help that 2 star widow or spider man tend to have to be on my team as I don't like using health packs :p

i see I killed the thread :p
anyways hot damn top 36

BJK

Anything I should do?

I'll buy one of the spots, in hopes that I might not be half of our alliance score in the Grey Suit Widow pvp event (my one character over level 85).

Askani

Three bad beats in a row on this Hunt that's ending. Number 2 in the overall bracket but I won't even be cracking top 50 in this sub event. This time I just had a level 85 Ares with 95% health killed on turn 3. It almost seems like if the AI launches an attack that destroys gems, it's going to make at least an additional two matches everytime. Combine that with its 150-200 level and it's ridiculous damage. Meanwhile I can drop Thor's yellow to make 9 extra tiles when there's 14 on the board and not make any free matches, which happened earlier today. Pathetic.

zulux21

Three bad beats in a row on this Hunt that's ending. Number 2 in the overall bracket but I won't even be cracking top 50 in this sub event. This time I just had a level 85 Ares with 95% health killed on turn 3. It almost seems like if the AI launches an attack that destroys gems, it's going to make at least an additional two matches everytime. Combine that with its 150-200 level and it's ridiculous damage. Meanwhile I can drop Thor's yellow to make 9 extra tiles when there's 14 on the board and not make any free matches, which happened earlier today. Pathetic.
that's a shame, my bad breaks are mostly me being stupid so far today...

aka not paying attention to the fact that i am facing a 2 star storm and killing everyone else with massive damage first... and taking a ton of damage myself :p

Askani

Holy crap!

FIVE active battle events and two overarching brackets?!

Seriously...this isn't my job. I'm not actively paid to play MPQ all day long. It's getting out of hand.

Update on GAF-kanda: It looks like someone left the alliance and one of the pending players dropped as well. Bairdsly is now the only one waiting to be accepted. I don't want to make the same mistake as before so does anyone else want to confirm him?

zulux21

i've done what I could in the widow event... any time I got to 800 I was instantly attacked for at least 30... so yeah I am done... 795 without getting the 800 reward is fine by me.

Classic Mags rewards on the Dr Doom event!

I will have to try seriously in this as well as those two mags rewards could make my mags usable... plus it's part of the season and the sooner i get to 5k points in the season the sooner I can stop caring :p

heh 3 whole min

glad i didn't get greedy

animus82

Banned
Holy crap!

FIVE active battle events and two overarching brackets?!

Seriously...this isn't my job. I'm not actively paid to play MPQ all day long. It's getting out of hand.

I feel you bro. I feel you. It's getting out of hand. If it wasn't for the alliance I wouldn't play this much. And if you don't play, you'll lose out on Char's you need for the next event.

They are going to kill the golden goose with these tactics.

I feel you bro. I feel you. It's getting out of hand. If it wasn't for the alliance I wouldn't play this much. And if you don't play, you'll lose out on Char's you need for the next event.

They are going to kill the golden goose with these tactics.

They don't really have a choice, though, with Hearthstone out. It's even curbed MY MPQ play. ME. The king of MPQ.

shaowebb

Classic Mags rewards on the Dr Doom event!

Going in for this.

God I love Wolverine/Daken. Over 600 points to start off without needing to heal or switch characters once.

Same...and I got just the team for it. I got a high level doom, Maxed Classic Storm and I've nearly Maxed Marvel Now Magneto.

Magneto makes a shitload of blue. Doom turns it to black to make his crazy buffed, hit for 1800 a turn attack tiles. Whats that? Not enough to kill? Fine...I'll use storm, hit their whole team and stun the troublemaker in the group and rebuild. Also Storm's got green to battery this shit.

People aren't going near me...

zulux21

Same...and I got just the team for it. I got a high level doom, Maxed Classic Storm and I've nearly Maxed Marvel Now Magneto.

Magneto makes a shitload of blue. Doom turns it to black to make his crazy buffed, hit for 1800 a turn attack tiles. Whats that? Not enough to kill? Fine...I'll use storm, hit their whole team and stun the troublemaker in the group and rebuild. Also Storm's got green to battery this shit.

People aren't going near me...
I wouldn't avoid you >.>
OBW steals all of your blue and black
Patch eats your characters for breakfast..
dr. doom brings the minions :p

to be fair though there are very few fights I avoid (typically a team of mags and spidey max level I will avoid... it doesn't take much for that team to go off @_@)

shaowebb

I wouldn't avoid you >.>
OBW steals all of your blue and black
Patch eats your characters for breakfast..
dr. doom brings the minions :p

to be fair though there are very few fights I avoid (typically a team of mags and spidey max level I will avoid... it doesn't take much for that team to go off @_@)

To be fair very few people have a patch as high level as yours. OBW doesn't bother me much, but Patch-lords...yeah them and those guys with max level Classic mags are just way too much.

However, my bracket...yeah no one wants any of what I put together. Lots of low level Dooms in my bracket for some reason. Makes it cake to cut their teams apart when they gotta play a bad hand. Doom's one of my back pocket guys though so Im set and I've been loading down levels on his best friends. Should do well here. Fucks up Falcon running though. Good thing I didn't enter the savage land yet. Should be healed up in about 3.5 hours to make a run.

zulux21

To be fair very few people have a patch as high level as yours. OBW doesn't bother me much, but Patch-lords...yeah them and those guys with max level Classic mags are just way too much.

However, my bracket...yeah no one wants any of what I put together. Lots of low level Dooms in my bracket for some reason. Makes it cake to cut their teams apart when they gotta play a bad hand. Doom's one of my back pocket guys though so Im set and I've been loading down levels on his best friends. Should do well here. Fucks up Falcon running though. Good thing I didn't enter the savage land yet. Should be healed up in about 3.5 hours to make a run.

the best part is I didn't use patch at all in the widow event... but sadly 795 doesn't seem like it will be enough to get a top 10 for me... I might unshield and try a mission at the end but it seems like I will need around 850 to get a top 10 in my bracket.

as for savage land... it seems the top in my bracket is only 4k... aka it's not high scoring in general so just entering and doing the required chracter events two times through should get you pretty high

shaowebb

the best part is I didn't use patch at all in the widow event... but sadly 795 doesn't seem like it will be enough to get a top 10 for me... I might unshield and try a mission at the end but it seems like I will need around 850 to get a top 10 in my bracket.

as for savage land... it seems the top in my bracket is only 4k... aka it's not high scoring in general so just entering and doing the required chracter events two times through should get you pretty high

how we doin on points for the alliance on Falcon anyhow? I dont know how to check that shit.

zulux21

how we doin on points for the alliance on Falcon anyhow? I dont know how to check that shit.

we are currently 68th and should have no issues getting in the top 100 with gaf-vengers

im currently in 42nd in my bracket which isn't to bad if i do say so myself :p

shaowebb

we are currently 68th and should have no issues getting in the top 100 with gaf-vengers

im currently in 42nd in my bracket which isn't to bad if i do say so myself :p

I go up and down depending on the day. Typically I only get to last hour run right now...last week or two of college means engineering finals and Im taking 20 credit hours. Not even supposed to be allowed to do that kind of shit but I aint waiting till fall to take one class just so I can wait till december to graduate. This dual degree will make 3 freakin' degrees already. Cant wait till this shit is over. I'm done after this. Well...unless the company requests I take that extra semester and abuse my substantial criteria overlap to pull in an instrumentation degree to add to the R&D group....

sigh...fuck its crazy in engineering. You go to college to get a degree and they get excited and keep paying you to go back in.

Askani

Christ!!!

Bad beat after bad beat! I don't know what the hell is happening?! I can't be any event team today. I've just lost 4 of 5 event matches.

I'm not even doing the matches with the horrible level scaled 250 stupid enemies because the programmers are lazy.

I know I'm bitching a lot today but god damn. I just need to get away from the game but I feel like I can't because then I'll be behind.

EDIT :::::

It's stupid this is stressing me out so much. I'm the dummy for letting it get to me. I need to find a way to relax and not care as much.

zulux21

C'mon GAF-Vengers... We're #107 in Hollowpoint Kiss with 35 min left; top 100 get Lazy Thors. Everyone dump in a couple hundred points and we're fine.

I can't do anything more...
I've been constantly attacked every 10 min or so for 30plus points... not gonna drop my shield (which I put up nearly 8 hours ago) and risk losing points... especially since there is no way I will get a top 10

i can post the wall of shame for the event though :p

also

Top Bottom