• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

How the scaling works in this game?

Like why you guys are fighting against level 400 heroes?

they keep tweaking it but in general scaling works something like this.

you have a background win loss counter that effects your overall rating (getting attacked in pvp counts as a loss)
there is also something tracking what enemies you are taking down and how long you are taking to take them down. Thus if you are using spiderman to beat up level 230s repeatedly then you are more likely to face level 230s.
finally each node in an event has it's own stupid counter... basically the more people that play a given node in an event the harder it gets overall... so usually the more you wait to join an event the harder it will be period.

oddly enough, as far as I have read, your actual roster doesn't effect your rating at all.... so if you were to sell your roster off for the sake of restarting with a challenge you would still have to deal with high level enemies as if you had your original roster :p

I hadn't read any Marvel in years and years, and just recently bought a Marvel Unlimited subscription and have been devouring all the major events and arcs starting back in about 2004... I'm up to late 2006 now, having just finished Annihilation (which was SO good), and I'm now in the thick of Civil War.

Anyway, I've heard that Matt Fraction's Hawkeye is fantastic and I'm sure it'll change my opinion of him, but until I get there I can't help thinking Modern Hawkeye looks like a MEGA-DOUCHE every time I see him in MPQ, lol.

Anyway, I've heard that Matt Fraction's Hawkeye is fantastic and I'm sure it'll change my opinion of him, but until I get there I can't help thinking Modern Hawkeye looks like a MEGA-DOUCHE every time I see him in MPQ, lol.

I haven't really consumed any Marvel stuff since I was a kid (I'm 32). I also think he looks like a mega douche

Grr, got all the way to #3 on the Hunt event that ended earlier this morning last night. Didn't get a ton of time to play this morning (darn work) but I thought I got back to #10. Ended up in the top 50. Now I am working on the portion that ends later today but work keeps getting in the way :).

So, for quite a while, I was running Classic Storm, MN Thor, and Astonishing Wolverine. Storm was there for her blue stun while Thor was the heavy hitter with pretty much all 3 of his attacks. Wolverine would come in with the occasional red or green attack but otherwise was just kind of there.

Well, I think it was with this new Hunt, but I found a combo I like even more - OBW and MN Magneto (I know, I'm kind of late to the party on this one). I use OBW mostly for the blue heal (this is less of an option against regular mobs) and Mags does his purple power of placing blue tiles. With this I can usually get two critical attacks, fill up on blue so I can heal at will, and do pretty good damage along the way since both of them have high purple attacks.

Who is the best third member to put with these two? I've been using MN Thor but I think I need to get a higher level 3* character in there. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of options there:

Iron Man Model 40 - 5/2/2
Hulk - 5/1/0
Loki - 3/0
Doom - 1/4
Spidey Classic - 3/0/3
Ragnarok - 2/4
and a bunch of others with just the initial power

Spoit

Grr, got all the way to #3 on the Hunt event that ended earlier this morning last night. Didn't get a ton of time to play this morning (darn work) but I thought I got back to #10. Ended up in the top 50. Now I am working on the portion that ends later today but work keeps getting in the way :).

So, for quite a while, I was running Classic Storm, MN Thor, and Astonishing Wolverine. Storm was there for her blue stun while Thor was the heavy hitter with pretty much all 3 of his attacks. Wolverine would come in with the occasional red or green attack but otherwise was just kind of there.

Well, I think it was with this new Hunt, but I found a combo I like even more - OBW and MN Magneto (I know, I'm kind of late to the party on this one). I use OBW mostly for the blue heal (this is less of an option against regular mobs) and Mags does his purple power of placing blue tiles. With this I can usually get two critical attacks, fill up on blue so I can heal at will, and do pretty good damage along the way since both of them have high purple attacks.

Who is the best third member to put with these two? I've been using MN Thor but I think I need to get a higher level 3* character in there. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of options there:

Iron Man Model 40 - 5/2/2
Hulk - 5/1/0
Loki - 3/0
Doom - 1/4
Spidey Classic - 3/0/3
Ragnarok - 2/4
and a bunch of others with just the initial power
IM40's recharge would work well with MN mag's red AP generator

zulux21

get home from work see we got top 100 so we got a heroic
open it to get a 3 star yay..
oh it's yellow spiderman... ok I guess... but I would like more of his other covers (mine is 5/1/1 now)

see I managed to get a top 200 in the event myself
open it up...
oh sweet another 3 star
i click again
8jrWT.jpg
yay I have at least one cover for every character that is 3 star or higher now.

lmpaler

I am saved! I have been on this game constantly lately, I joined some random alliance and currently I am rank 1 in the Florida event. My RL buddy and I play together. Is there a GAF alliance we can join(he isn't a GAF member)?

Puzzle Quest is the shit and while I am a DC guy, but don't read comics, this game has my interest in these stories high and I am thinking of picking up some.

I am saved! I have been on this game constantly lately, I joined some random alliance and currently I am rank 1 in the Florida event. My RL buddy and I play together. Is there a GAF alliance we can join(he isn't a GAF member)?

Puzzle Quest is the shit and while I am a DC guy, but don't read comics, this game has my interest in these stories high and I am thinking of picking up some.

Join Gaf-Kanda!

NomarTyme

get home from work see we got top 100 so we got a heroic
open it to get a 3 star yay..
oh it's yellow spiderman... ok I guess... but I would like more of his other covers (mine is 5/1/1 now)

see I managed to get a top 200 in the event myself
open it up...
oh sweet another 3 star
i click again

yay I have at least one cover for every character that is 3 star or higher now.

So freaking lucky... I rather have a black hulk cover.

Anyways Assault tokens been so shitty.

Askani

I guess I don't understand the point of making the game unplayable.

Level 234 Ares/Daken/Venom. Yeah I can maybe kill one char and that's if I'm lucky. So...ok? It's not like I'm wasting HP on health packs or ISO on boosts. I just quit playing that mission or the round all together. Doesn't make sense to me to drive people away from the game.

It's almost on FF XI level of how much the game hates players.

animus82

Banned
im surprised that there are so many people in gaf-vengers that haven't even done a single match in the punisher event yet.

I'm busying getting top 5 in the 10 day event and pulling the alliance into the top 100.

Priorities man, gots to get that Falcon, with Zero intentions of ever using him unless required.

Also, who really needs gray suit widow when everyone uses OBW or some beefier DPS char?

After over 60 regular tokens of nothin I finally got a gold one. Gray suit widow red....

zulux21

I'm busying getting top 5 in the 10 day event and pulling the alliance into the top 100.

Priorities man, gots to get that Falcon, with Zero intentions of ever using him unless required.

Also, who really needs gray suit widow when everyone uses OBW or some beefier DPS char?

After over 60 regular tokens of nothin I finally got a gold one. Gray suit widow red....

I suppose :p
I already am in a good spot in the 10 day event, and I mostly want more widow covers since they seem to allude me :p

so is it just on my end or are the servers down :/

zulux21

My stuff is down as well.

With less than an hour to go.... great.

ANd I was gonna help Zulu earn that GBW cover!

to be fair she isn't a big deal for me, she just is one of the older 3 stars that I don't have a lot of... most of my 3 stars in general aren't in usable shape (most are close though)

only my patch, punisher and hulk are truly in usable shape, most gimp others just gimp along :p

zulux21

im 34 points from a top 10...
6 min to go..
and the damn sever times out again...
I can do 2 matches in 6 min... don't know about 4 :/

animus82

Banned
Looks like it's down again. Why don't they push these patches/updates when there is nothing going on.

To be honest. There is something always going on for the most part.

Down again in the last 5 minutes.

Oh well, this last round has been crazy, dudes are gaining 450+ points every few minutes. My rank keeps going lower as I'm adding 450 points every few minutes. Crazy

Oh, I see:

S.H.I.E.L.D. command has long been proud of their Agents in regards to the work that they do battling H.A.M.M.E.R. and any other threats to the safety of mankind. Versus Tournaments are another way that Agents have been able to improve their skills and test their mettle against other Agents in a consequence free environment. To further this aim, S.H.I.E.L.D. is instituting a new feature to these Tournaments, a Season format.

Each Season will run about a month with all Versus Tournaments that take place adding to the running points total for the Agents that take part in them. If an Agent is a part of an Alliance, the Alliance will gain points as well. Each Season will offer prizes for progression for individual Agents as well as placement rewards for both Agents and Alliances. S.H.I.E.L.D. command believes that the introduction of this new meta-Tournament will allow Agents to train themselves to even higher levels of efficiency in the search for greater rewards before taking that experience to the real world in the battle against Osborn.

Sounds good to me!

zulux21

To be honest. There is something always going on for the most part.

Down again in the last 5 minutes.

Oh well, this last round has been crazy, dudes are gaining 450+ points every few minutes. My rank keeps going lower as I'm adding 450 points every few minutes. Crazy

there is... but 30min with in the end of an event is not a good time... they could idk... waited 30 min and done it right after the events ended so it was 12+ hours before the next thing ended.

Okay, the season 1 thing is up. Classic Spidey progression reward at 3,000... that's kind of nice.

EDIT: Woah... new character: NICK FURY! Top 100 alliance reward, event ends in TWENTY FIVE DAYS.

zulux21

so it seems lighting rounds won't count towards the season stuff (makes sense)
and it seems that the other pvp will as well as the new shield training thing.

Good, I'm glad lightning rounds aren't part of it.

Let's all hit that Grey Suit BW PVP hard... the alliance reward is L.Thor (as is the upper player reward).

zulux21

Good, I'm glad lightning rounds aren't part of it.

Let's all hit that Grey Suit BW PVP hard... the alliance reward is L.Thor (as is the upper player reward).

I don't think we managed a top 100 in the event for all of us to have an extra widow cover... but hey I won't be horribly off... though I am not a huge fan of the 3 star widow event since i can't use my two star widow and that really hurts my combo...

maybe I will just run patch and spiderman...
my spiderman can't stun very well but hey his heal is cheap (my spiderman is 5/1/1 lol)

NineH

Having the tokens not revert to heroic tokens sort of suck now since I don't need punishers, those tokens are worthless to me. At least if it turned into a heroic, I would have a miniscule chance of getting a character I need.

I got a yellow bagman out of the punisher token anyhow :(

zulux21

Having the tokens not revert to heroic tokens sort of suck now since I don't need punishers, those tokens are worthless to me. At least if it turned into a heroic, I would have a miniscule chance of getting a character I need.

I got a yellow bagman out of the punisher token anyhow :(

i got a red punisher from the token.. which was ok I guess..
I used it and got rid of a black one... as 3 black and 5 green and red seems a bit better for my play style with him :p (and I think is likely the better build in general)

I am still torn if I am going to leave my patch as 5/5/3 or switch him to 5/3/5 (only thing I am sure of is I want 5 green :p)

NineH

i got a red punisher from the token.. which was ok I guess..
I used it and got rid of a black one... as 3 black and 5 green and red seems a bit better for my play style with him :p (and I think is likely the better build in general)

I am still torn if I am going to leave my patch as 5/5/3 or switch him to 5/3/5 (only thing I am sure of is I want 5 green :p)

I made my Punisher 5/5/3 because I think that heroes that use black are pretty rare. Off the top of my head, the only heroes with black are storm, black panther and psylocke. Red would be better used with other characters too so that's why I made mine like that.

As for Patch, even though mine isn't leveled at all, I made it 5/3/5 because I wanted to cause strike tile mayhem and the heal at max hopefully mitigates the damage from the bad guy strike tiles.

zulux21

I made my Punisher 5/5/3 because I think that heroes that use black are pretty rare. Off the top of my head, the only heroes with black are storm, black panther and psylocke. Red would be better used with other characters too so that's why I made mine like that.

As for Patch, even though mine isn't leveled at all, I made it 5/3/5 because I wanted to cause strike tile mayhem and the heal at max hopefully mitigates the damage from the bad guy strike tiles.

see the thing is when ever I use punisher his countdown timer doesn't matter, the enemy is dead as soon as I launch his black (patch + punisher = lots of pain :p)

as for patch... well I team him with my widow most of the time so him not having full healing isn't a big deal... and the difference between 3 red and 5 red for damage is huge (likely 2-5k damage)

bwa ha ha I am in first

Note: I only got like 70 points on my own... the rest are people attacking me and losing lol.

animus82

Banned
Patch should be 5/3/5. I keep telling Zulu. That's what mine will be soon.

Also, My scores for the sub events are showing. Same for you guys?

zulux21

Patch should be 5/3/5. I keep telling Zulu. That's what mine will be soon.

Also, My scores for the sub events are showing. Same for you guys?

but patch never dies anyways and the extra damage is so helpful :p (I still haven't gotten a 4th yellow cover to truly debate the pros and cons)

also nice work guys
top 50... which of course means we get the crappier token then getting a top 100 but w/e :p

what do you mean scores for the sub events?
those normally show as it goes on do they not...
or can you finally see past performance (cause I still can't)
at least the rewards are finally coming in

NineH

top 50... which of course means we get the crappier token then getting a top 100 but w/e :p

Even though the event token says double the odds of a good pull, I have only gotten a 3 star once on a event token, which was a green hulk which I have already maxxed. You are probably right that a plain heroic might have been a bit better.

zulux21

Even though the event token says double the odds of a good pull, I have only gotten a 3 star once on a event token, which was a green hulk which I have already maxxed. You are probably right that a plain heroic might have been a bit better.

i'm looking forward to getting the 10 pack of heroic tokens from the season event... only to get only red captain americas :p

also... I wonder how long I will only see bot teams in the widow event... I am taking a tank team into the 100s lol

it's nice that the event points go to our overall progression right away though instead of having to wait for the event to end.

but yeah I am running a 41 widow boosted, a level 50 1 star storm and level 50 two star mags in the widow tournament right now lol.

it's an ok team to goof around with and hopefully a nice enough target that I am attacked a ton.

kswiston

So, if we don't place top 100 in Season 1, are we going to be screwed for all of the Season 2 PVE events?

Also, I was going to say that I have been getting really good luck on the Assault tokens, but then I received a classic storm, MN Thor, and Yellow Cap in a row...

Top Bottom