• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
El Sloth said:
I thought this was a good read and figured you guys would enjoy it too:

The Salty Runback: Occam's Razor?

It touches on the recent Sentinel nerf, Jessica Chobot, and X Factor.

Oh, and fuck Wolverine.

Seems it is mainly about Sentinel nerfs being pointless when X Factor is Our True Enemy.

Fair enough, but I must stand by the position that the Sentinel "nerf" isn't really a nerf but just removing the character as the lame pick for scrubs and noobs. That is what the article misses, because it's from the PoV of a skilled player who takes for granted his ability to take out a Sentinel. Plus, he's talking about Taskmaster, who can already do a load of damage before burning meter.

For lots of team combinations, Sentinel was just a awful chore to take out due to their damage output / having to burn lots of meter to do it.

traveler

Not Wario
I guess it's time for me to give up on fighting games. I've spent somewhere around 200 - 300 hours and hundreds of dollars trying to get decent at this genre but I just can't seem to do it. I've played VF4, SC2, SC3, SC4, SFII, SFIV, SSFIV, and now MvC3 across various types of pads and sticks and I'm still lucky if one in 10 attempts at a dragon punch motion actually comes out. I've read so many tutorials and guides, but they're completely useless as they mainly address character strengths/weaknesses, strategies, and mechanics and the hardest part of this genre is battling the damn controls. I really do like the genre from a subjective standpoint; I guess it's just physically impossible for me to actually play it.

I will say the combo strings in this game are much easier than any of those from any of the others I've played, but I can't tolerate the idea of playing a game where I can't reliably perform a fundamental action like a fireball or shoryuken. It's the equivalent of trying to play an FPS and not being able to force your fingers to shoot most of the time.

I am posting here for a reason, though. I don't wish to rant or derail the thread, but I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar situation to me where you've actually put in a lot of time and tried lots of different games and control methods, improved only slightly from the very first day of play, and then somehow had a breakthrough. And, if so, how? I managed to actually start improving at RTSes last year, after years of spending so much time and money on the genre only to have the same level of skill for hundreds of hours so I've seen it happen before but this genre seems so demanding when it comes to dexterity that I have to wonder if everyone is cut out for it.

Rorschach

El Sloth said:
I thought this was a good read and figured you guys would enjoy it too:

The Salty Runback: Occam's Razor?

It touches on the recent Sentinel nerf, Jessica Chobot, and X Factor.

Oh, and fuck Wolverine.
It is the blue shell of Marvel... if the blue shell knocked the lead racer out of first place and replaced him with the scrub that launched the shell.
So true.

I think we've all had a moment where we let characters die, that we could easily save with plenty of health, to have access to the easy button. Feels shitty, but I know I've done it. :(

hitsugi

Rorschach said:
So true.

I think we've all had a moment where we let characters die that we could easily save with plenty of health to have access to the easy button. Feels shitty, but I know I've done it. :(
I'm general, people aren't working to save their characters as they did in mvc2... At least, not many people are.

Toski

Kaijima said:
Seems it is mainly about Sentinel nerfs being pointless when X Factor is Our True Enemy.

Fair enough, but I must stand by the position that the Sentinel "nerf" isn't really a nerf but just removing the character as the lame pick for scrubs and noobs. That is what the article misses, because it's from the PoV of a skilled player who takes for granted his ability to take out a Sentinel. Plus, he's talking about Taskmaster, who can already do a load of damage before burning meter.

For lots of team combinations, Sentinel was just a awful chore to take out due to their damage output / having to burn lots of meter to do it.
One of Sentinel's best uses was as a damage sponge though, it especially makes sense with his giant hitbox. What they should've done was touch some of his damage output, take off armor on his cr. M, and lower his x-factor bonuses. The real problem with the nerf is that not everyone agrees on what should've been lowered. I don't think his health was the right thing to take off, especially that amount for a character his size.

traveler said:
I guess it's time for me to give up on fighting games. I've spent somewhere around 200 - 300 hours and hundreds of dollars trying to get decent at this genre but I just can't seem to do it. I've played VF4, SC2, SC3, SC4, SFII, SFIV, SSFIV, and now MvC3 across various types of pads and sticks and I'm still lucky if one in 10 attempts at a dragon punch motion actually comes out. I've read so many tutorials and guides, but they're completely useless as they mainly address character strengths/weaknesses, strategies, and mechanics and the hardest part of this genre is battling the damn controls. I really do like the genre from a subjective standpoint; I guess it's just physically impossible for me to actually play it.

I will say the combo strings in this game are much easier than any of those from any of the others I've played, but I can't tolerate the idea of playing a game where I can't reliably perform a fundamental action like a fireball or shoryuken. It's the equivalent of trying to play an FPS and not being able to force your fingers to shoot most of the time.

I am posting here for a reason, though. I don't wish to rant or derail the thread, but I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar situation to me where you've actually put in a lot of time and tried lots of different games and control methods, improved only slightly from the very first day of play, and then somehow had a breakthrough. And, if so, how? I managed to actually start improving at RTSes last year, after years of spending so much time and money on the genre only to have the same level of skill for hundreds of hours so I've seen it happen before but this genre seems so demanding when it comes to dexterity that I have to wonder if everyone is cut out for it.
Have you tried BlazBlue?

It's pretty different from the ones mentioned above. Maybe Tatsunoko vs Capcom would be right up your valley.

JeTmAn81

Rorschach said:
So true.

I think we've all had a moment where we let characters die, that we could easily save with plenty of health, to have access to the easy button. Feels shitty, but I know I've done it. :(

That doesn't make sense to me since you could just continue to pour on the damage with your remaining characters and still X-factor once you're down to your last fighter. Why waste the opportunity to hurt your opponent?

traveler

Not Wario
QisTopTier said:
So you want him to play a harder game?

Also stop pressing the buttons so fast or so slow

I have more problems with joystick motions than buttons or the speed at which I input commands. I always found Akuma's ultra the easiest to perform for that specific reason.

I have moved back to trying the d-pad after spending a while trying a stick and I am finding it a little easier, albeit more painful on my thumb. My hands tend to shake a bit so I have a hard time controlling precisely with devices that rely on hand centric motion. (I have the same problem with most mice; it's much easier for me to control FPSes using dual analog- where my fingers are in control- than mice, where hand movement has a much higher level of influence.)

Obviously, Smash Bros. has been the easiest thing to play for me period in the genre, as long as you consider it part of the genre. I was actually somewhat competitive at it within my circle of friends. I realize there's a little bit less depth in it as a result of not having as many move options due to the limited ways in which the game requires inputs, though. (When all your moves are variants of a single stick direction + button, they're pretty easy to do.)

And, no, I haven't tried BlazBlue. I don't really know too many people that play it, though, and I'm more interested in getting better at the games that I know of a community for. (In person, I mean. Obviously, there's an active contingent of players for nearly every current fighting game on GAF)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
JeTmAn81 said:
That doesn't make sense to me since you could just continue to pour on the damage with your remaining characters and still X-factor once you're down to your last fighter. Why waste the opportunity to hurt your opponent?
You're doing it wrong.

QisTopTier said:
You could always play me or proto to make it not feel like that :D

edit: no it's to the guy who can't do a fireball
My PS3 copy is on the way.

Challenge_Accepted_You_Laugh_You_Lose-s329x270-125393-580.png

dralla

damn, i tried to x-factor block stun into trons level 3, but i push blocked instead and whiffed, got beamed by akuma for the ko.

:[

Ferrio

Banned
Rorschach said:
So true.

I've done it a lot. Usually happens when I'm down to a full character and a half, my opponent hasa big lead, and time is running out. Realizing it'll be next to impossible to bring them down fast enough to win in the remaining time, I'll sacrifice my char and bring out my anchor.

edit: I really wanna try the hitbox, but thing is my stick execution is much better than my button execution.

El Sloth

Banned
traveler said:
I have more problems with joystick motions than buttons or the speed at which I input commands. I always found Akuma's ultra the easiest to perform for that specific reason.

I have moved back to trying the d-pad after spending a while trying a stick and I am finding it a little easier, albeit more painful on my thumb. My hands tend to shake a bit so I have a hard time controlling precisely with devices that rely on hand centric motion. (I have the same problem with most mice- much easier for me to control FPSes using dual analog- where my fingers are in control- than mice, where hand movement has a much higher level of influence.)

Obviously, Smash Bros. has been the easiest thing to play for me period in the genre, as long as you consider it part of the genre. I was actually somewhat competitive at it within my circle of friends. I realize there's a little bit less depth in it as a result of not having as many move options due to the limited ways in which the game requires inputs, though. (When all your moves are variants of a single stick direction + button, they're pretty easy to do.)
Sounds like the Hit Box is made for you.

P1gIZl.jpg

traveler

Not Wario
Ultimoo said:
Either that or you don't like fighting games, maybe you should cut your losses, lol.

I definitely like them. I've probably watched more hours than I've played. Love the mechanics and mindgames of the genre and think there are some really well designed games.

But, yeah, it might be time for me to take it up as solely a spectator sport. I'll see if anyone I know in my local fighting game community has one of these that I could try. Plopping down that much dough on yet another unproven (at working for me) controller seems unwise.

El Sloth said:
Well, I remember there being another thread on SRK where a guy was making custom metal faceplates for TE sticks with different layouts, one of which was a Hit Box layout. That might be cheaper.

I have a Hori RAP3 currently, but I suppose I could do some reading on modding and see if it's possible to convert it into a hitbox.

El Sloth

Banned
traveler said:
:O

Never seen any thing like that before. $160 though. And after pouring so much money into other sticks. Hmm. If it actually works, I suppose it might be worth a try. Thanks for the link!
Well, I remember there being another thread on SRK where a guy was making custom metal replacement panels for TE sticks with different layouts, one of which was a Hit Box layout. That might be cheaper.

Edit: Here it is.

SuuUU.jpg

blklightning21 said:
the options will be
1. bare panel - $27
2. bare panel with lexan top $43 = $53
3. bare panel with lexan top and laser printed arwork. $53-$63

Basic Lexan - $18 covers the steel panel area
Extended Lexan - $21 covers the bezel area(may change)
Full Lexan - $25 - covers the entire face of the stick.
---
traveler said:
I have a Hori RAP3 currently, but I suppose I could do some reading on modding and see if it's possible to convert it into a hitbox.
The guy also makes HRAP panels, although I don't see one with a Hit Box layout in the thread. You might be able to custom order one though.

Or you could get one of the DIY panels and try it yourself.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
El Sloth said:
You fool! Now that you've posted this I won't have the edge in the Dorm mirrors with NinajHeartless. :(

Lmao.

Before throwing down money on a hitbox, would it be a good idea to test if he could get DP motions down on a keyboard? Like try SF2 on virtualsupernes, or something of that nature?

mannerbot

traveler said:
I definitely like them. I've probably watched more hours than I've played. Love the mechanics and mindgames of the genre and think there are some really well designed games.

Have you tried switching up your grip on the joystick? That might help with giving your fingers more control as opposed to your hand.

traveler said:
:O

Never seen any thing like that before. $160 though. And after pouring so much money into other sticks. Hmm. If it actually works, I suppose it might be worth a try. Thanks for the link!
It's probably worth it because MvC3 allows you to block both ways if you use one

El Sloth

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
Before throwing down money on a hitbox, would it be a good idea to test if he could get DP motions down on a keyboard? Like try SF2 on virtualsupernes, or something of that nature?
No clue, maybe? I know there are some dudes who played fighter on PC with a keyboard and they seem real interested in the Hit Box. Certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

If you plan on doing something like this, Traveler, and want to play against other folks then I'd suggest looking into GGPO.

_dementia said:
It's probably worth it because MvC3 allows you to block both ways if you use one
Speaking of which, I had been wondering if the patch had fixed this. Forgot to check for myself yesterday.

Edit: Wasn't the blocking both ways thing limited only to TE's with Hit Box layouts not the ones the Husser brothers make?

Reading this thread, that doesn't seem to be the case. Also the last post in the thread says that is wasn't patched.

Zissou

traveler said:

I haven't really had the same issue, but I feel your pain- everybody hits execution barriers, just at different points. Did you ever have someone, in person, watch you trying to use a stick or whatever and give you advice? If you know somebody local who is good at fighting games, that could help.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Event mode tomorrow. Who's hyped? I'm so hyped. Hope its like MK9 or Smash events, and has lots of wacky shit in it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
enzo_gt said:
Event mode tomorrow. Who's hyped? I'm so hyped. Hope its like MK9 or Smash events, and has lots of wacky shit in it.
I actually am looking forward to this. It'd be nice to have some worthwhile singleplayer content.

Rorschach

JeTmAn81 said:
Because it would require meter time and I can take out a couple of characters with XF3 easily. If the dude comes in pushing buttons, I cross him up, or I don't even let him touch the ground, I win. It's a horrible system that rewards the guy getting his ass handed to him by a disproportionate amount. As the article said, comebacks should still be an uphill battle. They shouldn't be so easy.

McNum

enzo_gt said:
I'm looking forward to seeing what it is, too. I hope for Smash style weird setups, too. Like "defeat Magneto as armorless Arthur" or "Fight three Spider-Man clones as Spider-Man" and so on. Hopefully ending with you fighting Dark Phoenix and Galactus at the same time. I am also curious if we'll get a new phase for the Galactus boss fight for an event. "I now must squash you like the bug that you are!" doesn't sound like something a truly defeated planet eater would say...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
McNum said:
I'm looking forward to seeing what it is, too. I hope for Smash style weird setups, too. Like "defeat Magneto as armorless Arthur" or "Fight three Spider-Man clones as Spider-Man" and so on. Hopefully ending with you fighting Dark Phoenix and Galactus at the same time. I am also curious if we'll get a new phase for the Galactus boss fight for an event. "I now must squash you like the bug that you are!" doesn't sound like something a truly defeated planet eater would say...
Don't hold your breath for a new Galactus, but yeah simple stuff like Pro-Registration vs. Against-Registration, defeat 3 sentinels with a single member of the X-men, and stuff like that would be cool too.

But I would love it if they brought in props and objects beyond just the character models to manipulate in events. Not exactly a sandbag, but say you had to superjump and dash over something, then slide down low (using a character has slide like moves like She-Hulk or X-23) into a tiny space where there is a character you have to launch into a goal into a certain amount of time. Stuff like that would be cool (and perhaps even helpful in getting in).

Or say you had to reflect certain coloured projectiles and take the grunt of others with Ammy based upon their colour, on some Ikaruga shit. *imagination goes wild*

I expect stuff like, just beat so and so with only projectiles, only physical moves, only air combos, only hypers, only assists damage the opponent.

I am actually looking forward to event mode too. I hope they get creative with it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Today I got a Disconnector who thought it was a good idea to call me a "f*g" over the mic multiple times. I don't even use the mic but I heard it through the speaker on my tv. The weirdest thing about it was it was a player match and up until that point we were pretty even. He got hit by haggars pipe and decided to go bat shit insane over the mic and disconnect. He still had 2 full life characters.... We already played one match and it was not a blowout by any means.

Anger management may be in order.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
MThanded said:
Today I got a Disconnector who thought it was a good idea to call me a "f*g" over the mic multiple times. I don't even use the mic but I heard it through the speaker on my tv. The weirdest thing about it was it was a player match and up until that point we were pretty even. He got hit by haggars pipe and decided to go bat shit insane over the mic and disconnect. He still had 2 full life characters.... We already played one match and it was not a blowout by any means.

hey man I was having a bad day sorry about that.

Rorschach

MThanded said:

I wanted to try out Nerfinel and the first match I came across, the guy yelled, called me a "Sentinel f-g" and quit. All this before we even started.

*Capcom gives Sentinel Phoenix health*

Zissou

God's Beard said:
quick work does not hit low as an assist. I tested it. That's why I said he'd be top tier if it did.

Are you sure you're not thinking of a different assist? I just went into training mode and set the dummy to block all (high/medium) and the assist hit just fine.

LakeEarth

McNum said:
Or just make him remotely difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom