• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
God's Beard said:
Well I just looked up the best event title in the guide and completed that one.

All according to plan.

What are the titles? All the ones I've seen/arcade mode ones have been lackluster so far. :/

TheSeks

God's Beard said:
Well, Event 4 is Fight Like Gentlemen.

Oh, that's an online one. :/ "Event 3/4" the arcade ones unlock 8/9 titles and not the 3/4 titles. :/

the_log_ride said:
I'm down. Won't be home until later tonight, though.

Cool, I'll shoot you a message if I see you on tonight then.

GuardianE said:
Well, I hope it's player matches. I got 10 Ranked win in a row yesterday, but I don't want to stress about maintaining the streak.

EDIT: Confirmed it works for Player matches.

I could kiss you on the mouth right now.

Mit-

How do you finish arcade mode by only dealing damage with Hyper Combos? Fire off one hyper combo and then run away the rest of the match?

Same thing for Team Aerial Combos.

TheSeks

Mit- said:
How do you finish arcade mode by only dealing damage with Hyper Combos? Fire off one hyper combo and then run away the rest of the match?

HADOKENHADOKENHADOKENHADOKENBEAMATTACKHADOKENHADOKENHADOKENBEAMATTACKHADOKENHADOKENHADOKENASSIST1BEAMATTACK...

You can set the AI to very easy, rounds to 30, and highest damage if you want.

Morris

Disco Devil
5t9Al.jpg

This is the title i've always wanted. So pretty *-*

Ploid 3.0

God's Beard said:
PS3 needs party chat bad.

We have a great chat it's just that there's no reason to go to it since we don't do rooms to watch cards bump and grind. The first few days we pretended to commentate on the bars dropping and that got old fast.

----

How much HP does Shuma have? I only play this game with one person pretty much and he planted this idea that I should try Shuma. I looked at the videos, and tried to imagine how he would fit for me, but I doubt just watching videos would be good enough (Iron man looks good in videos but I don't like him at all). I guess I'm trying to justify throwing away $5 against what I think is bad online.

Anyway even if I don't get shuma I want to know his HP anyway. Google keeps bringing up HP Lovecraft when I add it with Shuma.

P.S. these dlc characters really need to be unlocked in training mode. At least make it so you can't choose Player for them or pick the character as player 1 so people can't steal them.

Edit: Gratz on pimp title and icon Floyd. It looks fetching.

Ferrio

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
We have a great chat it's just that there's no reason to go to it since we don't do rooms to watch cards bump and grind. The first few days we pretended to commentate on the bars dropping and that got old fast.

----

How much HP does Shuma have? I only play this game with one person pretty much and he planted this idea that I should try Shuma. I looked at the videos, and tried to imagine how he would fit for me, but I doubt just watching videos would be good enough (Iron man looks good in videos but I don't like him at all). I guess I'm trying to justify throwing away $5 against what I think is bad online.

Anyway even if I don't get shuma I want to know his HP anyway. Google keeps bringing up HP Lovecraft when I add it with Shuma.

P.S. these dlc characters really need to be unlocked in training mode. At least make it so you can't choose Player for them or pick the character as player 1 so people can't steal them.

Edit: Gratz on pimp title and icon Floyd. It looks fetching.

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Marvel_vs_Capcom_3/Character_Comparisons

JeTmAn81 said:
Anybody currently on psn who can add me? Id like to get into chat. Handle is jetman81.

Friend invite me, I'll do it later tonight if no one else has.
PSN: Ferrio

Ploid 3.0

I'll get on, it's not popular though. You might find people hanging out in ssf4 chat but they are actually playing ssf4 most likely.

nvm and thanks for the health points.

Ferrio

Banned
Don't know why the hate with the chat, great place to ask people for 1v1s. Ya sometimes people might be afk or in other fights, still no reason not to take 5 seconds time to join the room.

LakeEarth

Mit- said:

Same thing for Team Aerial Combos.
I assume you can still build meter and combo with your normals, they just don't do any damage. You can probably combo into your hypers, though I'm not sure if the damage still gets scaled.

The team aerial combos sounds annoying. I wonder after aerial exchange, does the damage occur until the combo is done (so you can OTG into more damage) or if it stops the second he hits the ground.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ferrio said:
Don't know why the hate with the chat, great place to ask people for 1v1s. Ya sometimes people might be afk or in other fights, still no reason not to take 5 seconds time to join the room.
This is exactly what everyone did for sf4 when it came out *hell I wasn't even part of gaf at the time I just randomly got invited to the chat :lol*

Seeing everyone bitch about how they can't watch so there is no point in going to a chat MADE FOR FINDING MATCHES is fucking stupid.

If you really want to watch go watch a stream there are high level streams on at least three times a week now most of the time. Sure it sucks, but you don't get better by WATCHING you get better by getting your ass handed to you over and over til you can figure out wtf it is you are doing wrong.

Ferrio said:
That is the problem. Most people didn't buy Marvel to play 1v1 matches with mimes. I like that every once in a while, but it can get a bit grating without voice chat and singles rooms.

Everyone is always playing 1v1 games so it's very likely to see someone left as the odd man out.
QisTopTier said:
If you really want to watch go watch a stream there are high level streams on at least three times a week now most of the time. Sure it sucks, but you don't get better by WATCHING you get better by getting your ass handed to you over and over til you can figure out wtf it is you are doing wrong.
I just had a strange sensation. It felt like you were channeling my very thoughts.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

TheSeks

Ferrio said:

It's horribad compared to SSF4's. Why? No spectator mode to let people watch and chat during matches.

(I also wish Sony would fix the XMB/game lag that happens with the chatroom pop-in/-out of it)

Log Ride said:
Med. Rare please.

The "R" key continues to elude me. *frysquint.jpg*

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
TheSeks said:
It's horribad compared to SSF4's. Why? No spectator mode to let people watch and chat during matches.
Please stop posting irrelevant bitching that is already addressed by the person you are quoting

SolarPowered said:
I just had a strange sensation. It felt like you were channeling my very thoughts.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The problem with most people that only want to watch and see what happens most of the time are the people that improve the LEAST over time, why did you buy a fighting game to WATCH? Get your feet wet and try to get better, the people you like watching just didn't magically end up good.
I still suck ass myself.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Event mode is reminding me a lot of that one mode in vanilla SF4 that I also didn't care about.

Grifter said:

In between matches last night I was debating which one to snap in, because either way I'd have to deal with an annoying-ass assist. Then when the match actually started I'd completely forget about it because I'm still not used to thinking about this game in the way I should.

I guess it should've been Akuma though because he has low health. I should've put Trish out first too because she's probably my best character atm and she has completely ambiguous setups off of a snapback.

Good shit though, you don't give yourself enough credit. You were pulling out all kinds of fancy combos and Doom loops and shit while I could barely get my basic Magneto stuff off half the time.

Sblargh

Banned
This game on Very Hard has the worst AI I ever saw in a fighting game. EVAR.
First it magically counters everything. If you are fighting against wesker or taskmaster that actually have super counters, you will press a button and after that, it will activate the counter making you eat it. So it is unavoidable unless you range them the entire battle, because at some point it will decide that now it wants you to eat it.
And then there are super hard fights against fast characters and super easy fights against slow character. Again, all about reacting after you press the button. You play with spiderman and x-23, you can poke your combos away because the AI will eat it trying to counter you, with slower characters, they will be magically invencible and good luck trying to cause any kind of damage because it will counterpoke everything you do at a close distance. (unless when it clearly wants to be hit so the game don't be virtually impossible).
-
And then comes captain america, where you can blindly hyper chargin star and will hit 90% of the time, half of them the AI will actually call the assist after you started the super just so they can be hit too.
So in a fight against Chun Li, she is impossible. You jump, she counters, you poke, she counters, you shoot, she dodges. Comes captain america and the goddess of reaction forgets how to block the super you are just spamming randomly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
QisTopTier said:
The problem with most people that only want to watch and see what happens most of the time are the people that improve the LEAST over time, why did you buy a fighting game to WATCH? Get your feet wet and try to get better, the people you like watching just didn't magically end up good.
I still suck ass myself.

I think spectating is really important, though. Marvel has always been a group game, one to be enjoyed with a bunch of friends. Spectator mode recreates the Arcade mentality, where you can trash talk, poke fun, and just laugh with friends.

And spectator mode CAN help people get better... especially very fresh people. You learn things by watching others. In a game like Marvel, you can die 25 seconds into the match, but not really understand why. For someone just starting out, they can feel lost. This is why they can watch their friends fight while they're waiting, and get a grasp of game fundamentals while having fun with friends.

GuardianE said:
I think spectating is really important, though. Marvel has always been a group game, one to be enjoyed with a bunch of friends. Spectator mode recreates the Arcade mentality, where you can trash talk, poke fun, and just laugh with friends.

And spectator mode CAN help people get better... especially very fresh people. You learn things by watching others. In a game like Marvel, you can die 25 seconds into the match, but not really understand why. For someone just starting out, they can feel lost. This is why they can watch their friends fight while they're waiting, and get a grasp of game fundamentals while having fun with friends.

Spectating only helps me out when I'm trying to find specific counters and usually when it's a character I use (unless it's a broad counter). Watching, especially when I start out, doesn't really help me because I don't know what button does what yet. I do agree that trash talking and having a big room is a good way to socialize and have fun, but as far as getting better, I find that going 1 on 1 is the best choice (and helps that if the other person gives you pointer when you need the help).

edit: If I want a room, I usually limit to 4 players max.

LakeEarth

Sblargh said:
Sounds like Capcom AI to me. SF4 was the exact same way. If you just want to beat the game with every character on very hard, just pick two range characters, and your third being the person you kill Galactus with. Doom missles usually make the AI just stop dead in its tracks, which allows for more chipping.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Prototype-03 said:
Spectating only helps me out when I'm trying to find specific counters and usually when it's a character I use (unless it's a broad counter). Watching, especially when I start out, doesn't really help me because I don't know what button does what yet. I do agree that trash talking and having a big room is a good way to socialize and have fun, but as far as getting better, I find that going 1 on 1 is the best choice (and helps that if the other person gives you pointer when you need the help).

edit: If I want a room, I usually limit to 4 players max.

There's really no question that playing is the best way to get better. I wasn't trying to argue otherwise. I guess what I mean is, most people play this game to play with and beat their friends. People sit in lobbies because this is a social game. If you're going to be sitting in a lobby, spectating a match is certainly a better learning tool than watching two cards bump against each other.

I think watching can be incredibly productive if there are good people playing, and you're starting out. You can notice strengths and weaknesses of various characters, counters you didn't think were possible, team-ups that work in ways you didn't imagine... lots of new players don't watch streams, or youtube combo videos.

Here's an example. Even in a four person lobby, if one person is dominating then it would be beneficial for the players waiting to be able to watch his fights and see how he plays before their own match.

Ferrio

Banned
You know.. I wanna try playing a match using assists only (No modifications ie hsein super armor, zero clone etc). Would be stupidly hilarious.

Ploid 3.0

QisTopTier said:
This is exactly what everyone did for sf4 when it came out *hell I wasn't even part of gaf at the time I just randomly got invited to the chat :lol*

Seeing everyone bitch about how they can't watch so there is no point in going to a chat MADE FOR FINDING MATCHES is fucking stupid.

Once you had a hamburger it's tough going back to spam and stale crackers.

I love the streams. One of the best side things to come from MVC3. The streams are different from gafchat random talk or commenting on something someone did in a fight though. "Bionic Arrrrrmmm!" "Panda Hakkkkkkan!!!!"

The reason I don't get in random fights in gafchat much is because I'm not as good as you guy and I just waste your times. With SSF4 I didn't mind because it was a chance to maybe win by luck then watch you guys go at it on the sidelines. I think I entered a 1 v 1 in SSF4 from gafchat (without the rooms ending up in 2 people left) enough times to count on one hand.

I'll still join rooms with 3+ people in mvc3 though.

Edit: My She Hulk learned new tricks watching the streams. I no longer only use Cr. L to confirm into combo and just go with slide Cr. H into S and do the stuff. Also I learned that santon bomb air exchange glitch was from the steam. So glad Justin, and the others picked She hulk. Justin was the first I saw using on the streams (WNF).

Grifter

Lost Fragment said:
In between matches last night I was debating which one to snap in, because either way I'd have to deal with an annoying-ass assist. Then when the match actually started I'd completely forget about it because I'm still not used to thinking about this game in the way I should.

I guess it should've been Akuma though because he has low health. I should've put Trish out first too because she's probably my best character atm and she has completely ambiguous setups off of a snapback.

Good shit though, you don't give yourself enough credit. You were pulling out all kinds of fancy combos and Doom loops and shit while I could barely get my basic Magneto stuff off half the time.
I can't help but panic when somebody's snapped out, but then Akuma would come in and I'd laugh cuz he's my best by far (SF4 training paying dividends). Still, probably a good idea for you cuz he's a beast in L3, but his tricks are magnified when I still have assists. Although I dunno why you'd want to snap out Tasky! He's endlessly entertaining and happens to be my newest character (that Chris I used briefly was my main). I kept forgetting to snap in Tron too, mainly so I don't eat your grab super and cry inside.

I do still play like it's 1v1 tho, except I'm training myself to just call an assist at specific points but that also gets my team blown up. Your mix-up game was sick! Really confusing. I should be setting that up more too but am zoning too much due to my SF mentality

I was dropping Task stuff and thought the lag subtly affected the tighter combo points so I figured that lag would be twice as bad for you going for Mags loops. Still the connection felt great and somehow our games are always smoother than people I play in my own town.

El Sloth

Banned
Re-posting this from earlier 'cause I think it's worth it:
The IPW SSIV guide really helped me out when I was first starting out with the game, so I wanted to post about the status of their MvC3 guide on here:
Hey guys, I wanted to make a quick post to update everyone on the status of our Marvel vs Capcom 3 Strategy Guide. I know many of our long time readers understand that we take our guides here very seriously, with our Super Street Fighter IV Strategy Guide being one of the absolute best on the internet. We are working on an in depth guide for Marvel vs Capcom 3 as well, consulting with some of the best players in the country in the process. Beyond that, the MVC3 guide will have some new interactive features that I'm sure many of you will really enjoy.

Obviously, you might be wondering why it isn't out already and the answer is fairly simple: Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a new game and ground breaking strategies are still being discovered on a day to day basis. We wanted to spend some time with the game ourselves, see what works in competitive play, and put that into words once the game has had some time to simmer. We felt that if we just released a guide with a simple move list and a few descriptions many of you would be disappointed and not come back. That's the last thing we want, of course!

That being said, we also want feedback from our users on what you would like to see in our upcoming guide. What gives you the most problems in Marvel vs Capcom 3? What concept or strategy do you have a hard time wrapping your mind around? What sort of stand alone strategy articles or videos would you like to see?

As we continue to work on the overall foundation of this guide, we want to hear what our readers would like to see so we can slowly implement that into the guide as we move forward. Hit us up in the comments and let us know what we should get working on!
Thought this was a cool idea and figured some of you would be interested in giving some feedback on what you'd want to see.

Ferrio

Banned
I think a big (if not the biggest) part of the guide should be talking about the proper use, dealing with, and choosing assists. It's the biggest mechanic difference from any other fighting games, and probably the one I have the most difficulty adapting to and the reason I hated MvC2.

Sblargh

Banned
Ferrio said:
I think a big (if not the biggest) part of the guide should be talking about the proper use, dealing with, and choosing assists. It's the biggest mechanic difference from any other fighting games, and probably the one I have the most difficulty adapting to and the reason I hated MvC2.

Yes, the only bit of clue I got about assist was Mike Ross saying you have to learn to attack with two buttons, so you try to start your attacks with an assist covering you, but that's about it, most of the time I'm just afraid to call assists because they will eat a super and that's so much damage.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ferrio said:
You like this more cause now you can just mash tron assist :D
I kid

Ferrio

Banned
QisTopTier said:
You like this more cause now you can just mash tron assist :D
I kid

Tell you the truth I'd be happy if there were no assists in the game, but unlike mvc2 where I just bitched about it this time I'm just going to embrace it. And yes I mash the shit outta her, I need to stop doing that. I won't have that luxury if I ever get a secondary team. So far it will have spiderman/wesker/???. I tossed Thor... he just.. wow ya not going to deal with him.

Dammit, I'm supposed to be practicing with MODOK and Deadpool so I can fight people online, but I keep finding cool stuff with Thor ;_;

I'm never gonna get better like this.

I have like 3 pages of my scribblings on how to beat different characters, different tick throws, resets and block strings/mixups. I even have a couple gimmicks.

Too bad it's all useless unless I practice it against real people, and I need a team for that :-(

Ploid 3.0 said:
The reason I don't get in random fights in gafchat much is because I'm not as good as you guy and I just waste your times. With SSF4 I didn't mind because it was a chance to maybe win by luck then watch you guys go at it on the sidelines. I think I entered a 1 v 1 in SSF4 from gafchat (without the rooms ending up in 2 people left) enough times to count on one hand.

C'mon man play. I went 1v1 against proto and got dutifully destroyed. Afterwards he offered some advice on how I could improve. Let's go 1v1 next time. We should be on similar skill levels, which'll make for better matches.

Ploid 3.0

QisTopTier said:
I still suck ass myself.

I had fun playing SSF4 whether I won or lost. Watching was part of the fun, and chatting between or during watching. I don't plan on playing fighting games for money tournaments anytime soon/ever. That's not to say I don't try to improve, but it's still fun even though I know I'll never be able to fadc ultra with ryu, or combo into ex machine gun upper then ultra 2 with DJ (especially his other trick that require a walk forward into ultra2).

C'mon man play. I went 1v1 against proto and got dutifully destroyed. Afterwards he offered some advice on how I could improve. Let's go 1v1 next time. We should be on similar skill levels, which'll make for better matches.

Edit: Oh I played against Karsticles last. That dude's Dorm blew my mind. I got a lucky win the first fight due to level 3 akuma, after that I was a lemming walking into the grinder. I wanted to watch him play against other people in the chat.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Doom's Footdive can be cancelled with an Air Dash, neat-O.
You can pull some great combos since its possible to relaunch the opponent.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fersis said:
Doom's Footdive can be cancelled with an Air Dash, neat-O.
You can pull some great combos since its possible to relaunch the opponent.
Great, more reasons to be afraid of people who can actually play Doom. God damn.

RS4-

yeah about the event stuff where you have to complete arcade mode under certain conditions; for example the one where you have to do team aerial combos (I believe it's #17), only TACs do damage.

It can get pretty boring going through arcade mode x amount of times, so it helps just putting the timer down to the lowest possible, damage highest just to get it over with.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
QisTopTier said:
You guys didn't know that about dooms attacks? o_O People have been doing that since the game came out.
Most people just use Doom for his 'Hidden Missiles!!' assist.

Guilty as charged. ^__^¡

Come on Dizzy-4U! I need someone to play online!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom