• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Grecco said:
AE looks faster than SSFIV and Vanilla.
Yeah thats what I have thought in the all the footage but I was not sure if it was just my eyes playing tricks on me or not.

hitsugi

MThanded said:
Yeah thats what I have thought in the all the footage but I was not sure if it was just my eyes playing tricks on me or not.
It isn't faster. It's just the effect of Yun blowing people up so hard.

I've played the game since release, and if there was an actual difference it'd be documented by now.

I might drop my MODOK/Thor/Deadpool team, my other two teams(Jill/Wesker/Doom and Arthur/Dormammu/Morrigan) are too good. Everything about them works perfectly and just using them is more fun. MTD works when it has breathing room, but gets killed when people go apeshit. My other two teams always seem to work like they should.

Dahbomb said:
Just about everyone has at least one good assist. I would say Jill's assists aren't all that but I could be wrong because I don't actually have the character
Jill's arrow kick assist is amazing. Max out your hitstun then call arrow kick and you get all the time in the world for more hits :)

Plus, it comes out really fast.

shaowebb

God's Beard said:
I might drop my MODOK/Thor/Deadpool team, my other two teams(Jill/Wesker/Doom and Arthur/Dormammu/Morrigan) are too good.

B-b-but...Thor combos. All those nice Thor combos. You're our only one!

Neki

God's Beard said:
I might drop my MODOK/Thor/Deadpool team, my other two teams(Jill/Wesker/Doom and Arthur/Dormammu/Morrigan) are too good. Everything about them works perfectly and just using them is more fun. MTD works when it has breathing room, but gets killed when people go apeshit. My other two teams always seem to work like they should.

Jill's arrow kick assist is amazing. Max out your hitstun then call arrow kick and you get all the time in the world for more hits :)

Plus, it comes out really fast.

I want to see your Thor technology though. :(

shaowebb said:
B-b-but...Thor combos. All those nice Thor combos. You're our only one!

Ultimoo said:
I want to see your Thor technology though. :(

Thor is a good character. Or more accurately, he's almost a good character. Right now he's T.Hawk trying to be Abel. There's no reference for his playstyle, so I think capcom just started giving him moves for the hell of it. There's no definition for his game plan, only what to do once it's been executed. For a strategy game like Marvel, that's a problem.

The only thing they would need to do to fix Thor is to give him full projectile invincibility on frames 20-42 of a charged Air Mighty Strike, and super armor for the same frames of the ground version. That's literally the only change Thor needs to compete against the rest of the cast.

McNum

Sixfortyfive said:
Please Help Me! has adjustable range.

My mind has been blown.
It does?

Isn't it projectile invincible on startup, too? Well this is a nice surprise. A Felicia with 3 bars suddenly becomes something you don't want to be predictable with projectiles against now. I wonder if she can counter some Hypers with it. Can't see why not.

smurfx

get some go again
finally became a 7th lord. renewed my fate in haggar. love doing haggars double larriot assist into zeros rekkoha. lots of people never see it coming. i may not play very pretty with combos but i'm getting the wins right now.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
McNum said:
It does?

Isn't it projectile invincible on startup, too? Well this is a nice surprise. A Felicia with 3 bars suddenly becomes something you don't want to be predictable with projectiles against now. I wonder if she can counter some Hypers with it. Can't see why not.
It has full invincibility for 59 frames. Hold H after activating and the cat jumps 3/4 across the screen instead of a couple feet.

McNum

Sixfortyfive said:
It has full invincibility for 59 frames. Hold H after activating and the cat jumps 3/4 across the screen instead of a couple feet.
Yeah, just took it into Training Mode to learn how to aim it. I can actually DHC into Please Help Me! now. It's a colossal waste of Meter in most cases, but it's good to know if I end up 600k damage away from victory and with Meter to spare.

I have an obnoxious idea now. Full invincibility means she doesn't get interrupted by Dark Phoenix transforming... So a projectile assist against an online opponent fishing for Dark Phoenix. "I can't control it!" ... "EVERYBODY! HELP!" Won't work on everyone, they can just block, but it might catch a few Phoenixes off guard. Now that is a hatemail generator right there.

Chozo

Man I really have a love-hate relationship with Super Skrull right now.

"Damnit Skrull, you're the weak point on my team. Your normals are slow as shit and it seems like when I go online every button press is interpreted by the game as 'use Tenderizer'."

*KO an opponent by repeatedly Elastic Slamming his last character out of jump after jump*

"Super Skrull you're kind of awesome!"

So...yeah. Mashiness is something I'm going to have to fix myself (although not helped by the fact that I have Amaterasu on point), but I could use some advice. Any Skrull players have advice on how you can actually use most of his normals without getting reamed?

shaowebb

Okay I have no idea what's going on with my rank. I'm beating 9th lords, I'm getting win streaks, and I've stayed right at the verge of having enough xp to level up for 2 weeks.

I'm playing with match request on in arcade because if I go to ranked match quick match or custom match it NEVER gives me a match.

Please say these aren't the only matches that will change my rank...

Also, I found some interesting things lately and I'm not certain how they might be used. One is that jumping L Spencer has surprising speed and priority over a lot of moves and the other is just an interesting usage of Taskmaster's Vertical Shot assist.

I must've accidentally summoned Vertical Shot and when I hit my launcher it caught them over head as I caught them on my jump up from below. There vertical momentum halted and I eventually soared up past them but for a moment they froze in place. The whole thing was obviousy combo, but seeing as I kept going up as they were driven down by vertical shot they fell out and it ended.

I'm trying to come up with characters that might benefit from any sort of force downs from this...generally anyone who loses a character during a long combo because they are too high up to keep the combo rolling (like spencer combos that leave your opponent to high to Bionic Arm and count it as part of the combo). Either this or see if can create an unblockable setup with this on jump ins using good grabbers like Hulk, She-Hulk, or Thor.

I just don't know how to use this or if it's even worth it, but it's pretty interesting that you can redirect someone and have it not meteor them out of combo.

Suggestions?

smurfx

get some go again
damn just got destroyed by some guy using wesker and dante. damn near infinite combos and i wasn't ready for weskers low attack. kept getting caught. wish the game had a replay request when you are playing ranked. there was a couple of guys who i wanted to play again after they beat me.

Dahbomb

My exams are coming up and I am sad because I am still no where as good as I want to be. :/

Just when I started getting the Doom Buktooth combo down my exam dates loom over me. Now that Pak has lost to India in Cricket and WNF/Guard Crush tournaments are over, I think it's a good time to start my exam prep.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to Karsticles who gave me a thorough lesson in ownership last night.
I really need to learn how to deal with those assists and crossups. Your brilliant Dormammu was just making it a little tricky ;)

Any tips for a total noob in general? You mentioned push-blocking, so I guess I should learn when to get you off me and when to stay as close as possible...

Also, I'd quite like to stick with my current team (in the futile hopes that one day I can rock team Clover with Joe, Ammy and Gene), but am open to suggestions if you noticed any glaring trends that would be more suited to a different character.

Thanks again!

You get a lot more meter, and most likely bring them to the corner which sets up Trons double hyper, and allows for easier DHCs.

Also I do two reps of the s.M, f.M, j.M, j.M, j.H before the launch.
I did say that the latter gives substantially more meter, and I realize the positional advantages, I just think it's funny that they do the same damage. I generally have trouble canceling the s.M into f.M fast enough to do two loops, but I just started playing Tron on Friday.

Yeah, I think they're stressful in a good way. I think one-on-one games like this are really good at providing an outlet for competition and challenge to people who might not be able/interested in doing so in other contexts (sports, etc.). I actually don't even mind losing, as long as I'm learning something. If I'm just getting annihilated by some vastly superior player, I'm not getting any better. But I played about 20 matches straight with somebody the other night, despite winning only 6 times. I really didn't mind losing, because we were both improving, adjusting to each other's play styles and strategies. I think I even sent that guy a friend request.
I've been here a few times; a guy went 20-5 against me (I am the 5, if it's not clear), and now we're frequent sparring partners. At the start of our match series, I usually lose 10-1, but then a little later it becomes 20-10, because I'm learning and adjusting. Unfortunately, I tend to play with other friends after that, and they don't push me as hard, so I tend to slack after a while. They've really been picking their game up recently though, so maybe it won't be such an issue.

I definitely love the stress induced by games.

On the point of Phoenix, she is hard to deal with and that's no lie. I have tried to incorporate Snap Backs into my game but I run into some problems with that. First is that when I do get a combo in, I want to actually kill that character rather than snapping them in. Usually I can't really do a really long ass combo and end in a snap back, it misses usually so I have to do it early in the combo.
I know exactly what you mean. It doesn't help that my current running team (soon to change out of boredom) is Dormammu/Tron Bonne/Sentinel. If I did get Phoenix on screen, none of those can really open her up like like many of the mix-up kings can.

Speaking of Phoenix on point, it's my goal to make Phoenix work without using Dark Phoenix sometime in my MVC3 career. Basically it involves a lot of rushdown with Healing Shield activated almost all the time. Works well against certain teams and not so well against others. Might even try her on 2nd place so I can DHC glitch into her healing shield. Man the more that I think about it, the more I KNOW that the DHC glitch is going to get taken out.
I don't mind the DHC glitch too much; it's pretty low on my list of things I would want to be changed. I would use Phoenix if she had 650K health and 200K as Dark Phoenix - I want to use Phoenix, not just Dark Phoenix. I want more than a gimmick on my team.

Reminds me that I need to finish working on my height chart. I'm trying to catalog which characters can just stand/crouch/walk under various moves.
This would be awesome.

Please Help Me! has adjustable range.

My mind has been blown.
ROFL, really? Like with Storm's Gaia's Rage? It's amazing how the community sometimes just doesn't care enough about a character to figure these things out.

Thanks to Karsticles who gave me a thorough lesson in ownership last night.
I really need to learn how to deal with those assists and crossups. Your brilliant Dormammu was just making it a little tricky ;)

Any tips for a total noob in general? You mentioned push-blocking, so I guess I should learn when to get you off me and when to stay as close as possible...

Also, I'd quite like to stick with my current team (in the futile hopes that one day I can rock team Clover with Joe, Ammy and Gene), but am open to suggestions if you noticed any glaring trends that would be more suited to a different character.

Thanks again!
GGs, aside from pushblocking more, I'd suggest never letting up on Dormammu. His happy place is having the space to charge Dark Spells. I noticed a few times you would back off with Amaterasu, and it just doesn't lead to anything that helps you in the long-run.

If you're not aware, you can double air-dash with Joe by doing a normal dash input, and then plinking another one; the game reads it as an attack input, and Joe can cancel his air attacks into dashes, so it just comes out as two air dashes. I find it hard to use, but you might find it more useful.

Play that Q guy he sucks
Clearly. :p

GGs; I'd like to try it out again sometime, maybe the connection will be smoother for me.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Karsticles said:
GGs, aside from pushblocking more, I'd suggest never letting up on Dormammu. His happy place is having the space to charge Dark Spells. I noticed a few times you would back off with Amaterasu, and it just doesn't lead to anything that helps you in the long-run.

If you're not aware, you can double air-dash with Joe by doing a normal dash input, and then plinking another one; the game reads it as an attack input, and Joe can cancel his air attacks into dashes, so it just comes out as two air dashes. I find it hard to use, but you might find it more useful.
Ta very much. The input lag screwed me over mostly when trying to make a move on Dorm, but I'll try to keep an eye out for those openings and stay in there.

That Joe air-dash tip sounds useful, but I'm not sure what you mean by plinking another one. I've seen people do double Voomerang in the air; does that have something to do with it?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sixfortyfive said:

Argh, stupid non-mentioned move modifiers. Taskmaster has different buttons to press to aim his Legion Arrows, Chris can aim his level 3 for differnt spawn by holding different buttons after it (Making it combo from anywhere on screen from his heavy knockdown combo punches), Super Skrull can aim his lvl 3 with different button combos... argh.

Why is there so little consistency for these things? And the strat guide also rarely list such details.

Thanks for the info! Annoyed to know I missed such a thing, lol. I've tried to see if PHM! had any special properties to it's activation, because it generally is one of the most rigid, odd LvL 3's in the game...

Grifter said:
does spencer have any good tools vs. phoenix? working on a new team.

Bionic ARMMMM will destroy and ground-started fireball zoning, AA wire grapples will help keep her grounded. If you're quick, you could armor piercer her teleports for favorable trades vs sloppy movement, and don't forget that move will eat fireballs if used pre-emptively. If they try to punish you with grounded move for doing that, BIONIC ARMMMM away.

Try to keep ziplines tossed towards her body, it'll stop some of her fireball pressure, since it counts as a hit upon tossout. You can annoy her with ziplining almost as much as she can you with fireballs.

The fight VS Dark P though... more wire grapple reliance. If you can ever reel her in/wallbounce, spencer can pretty much kill her, but you can't move and zip as freely as you'd like. Zipping left and right and try to make her ful after you, I'd say.

That Joe air-dash tip sounds useful, but I'm not sure what you mean by plinking another one. I've seen people do double Voomerang in the air; does that have something to do with it?
Plinking means you hit both buttons a fraction of a second apart.

So, you hit LM together to dash, then you hit LM again, but this time the button pushes are spaced out a fraction of a second from each other.

Argh, stupid non-mentioned move modifiers. Taskmaster has different buttons to press to aim his Legion Arrows, Chris can aim his level 3 for differnt spawn by holding different buttons after it (Making it combo from anywhere on screen from his heavy knockdown combo punches), Super Skrull can aim his lvl 3 with different button combos... argh.

Why is there so little consistency for these things? And the strat guide also rarely list such details.

Thanks for the info! Annoyed to know I missed such a thing, lol. I've tried to see if PHM! had any special properties to it's activation, because it generally is one of the most rigid, odd LvL 3's in the game...
The only inconsistency that bothers me is QCF level 3s. WHY CAPCOM, WHY?! If I had a dollar for every full-screen Chaos Dimension I DHCed into...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Karsticles said:
The only inconsistency that bothers me is QCF level 3s. WHY CAPCOM, WHY?! If I had a dollar for every full-screen Chaos Dimension I DHCed into...

Outside of showboating, I'm not even sure why you need level 3's.

MvC2 has every character use 1 bar of hyper for their hypers. And no two hypers were in the same motion. EG: Jill's Tyrant summon wasn't the same as her hyper shoulder charge and rocketlancher.

LakeEarth

TheSeks said:
Outside of showboating, I'm not even sure why you need level 3's.
Already said, but after a 30 hit combo Magneto's magnetic shockwave would do ~40-50k damage due to scaling, while gravity squeeze will still do 400k+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom