• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Prototype-03 said:
The best part is gootecks' face when he talks about option selects
And Mike Ross in the back like OH SNAPPPPP.

Reminds me of that guy who plays all his PC games with the mouse and had the whole thing with Visceral. Just truly inspiring.

El Sloth

Banned
robut said:
Not gonna lie, started tearing up halfway through. That guy is more badass than anyone in the community.
Well, there is that one blind Mortal Kombat player. Who is pretty damn good by all accounts.

Phoenix should really be selectable without her dark form for 840k 600k-750k health.

Also how to nerf Dark Phoenix:
1. Raise Hyper gauge cap to 6
2. Make DPh cost 6 hyper bars
3. If you have Phoenix on your team you start with no hyper meter

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ogrekiller said:
Phoenix should really be selectable without her dark form for 840k health.

No

DR2K

Banned
Ogrekiller said:
Phoenix should really be selectable without her dark form for 840k health.

While we're at it. . .

4. Everyone gains the ability to combo break any Phoenix combo for 1 meter.
5. She loses 1 bar whenever she gets hit.
6. When DP comes out all opponents dead characters are also revived.
7. Healing sphere also heals opponents red health.
8. DP rising pulls the opponent towards her and doesn't interrupt anything.
9. Lower DP's health to 1.
10. Upon loss Phoenix player has to watch the 3rd X-Men movie.

smurfx

get some go again
God's Beard said:
Why do you think that? I spend all day making combos and building teams, not fighting people.
sent you a friends request. lets play sometime. just finished beating salva in a best 3 out of 5 match. once i learn how to better my low attack game i think i will be much harder to beat.

God's Beard said:
Why does Dark Phoenix need nerfs? You lose an assist and a ton of meter if you want to transform, and then you roll the dice.

Because no one uses regular phoenix. All those fancy combos with phoenix are worthless because everyone uses her for dark phoenix. And healing super is worthless because of xfactor and people would rather use super on phoenix rage.

Also, giving up an assist slot and 5 meter for the best character in the game seems better than giving up a character slot and 1+ meter for a great assist.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ogrekiller said:
Because no one uses regular phoenix. All those fancy combos with phoenix are worthless because everyone uses her for dark phoenix. And healing super is worthless because of xfactor and people would rather use super on phoenix rage.

Also, giving up an assist slot and 5 meter for the best character in the game seems better than giving up a character slot and 1+ meter for a great assist.
Clockwork uses regular phoenix

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ogrekiller said:
Only in 3 situations:

1. When she gets snapped in.
2. When he has max hyper gauge.
3. When both other characters are dead.
A good Phoenix player will never put her on point voluntarily if she doesn't have 5 meters, even if they're confident with normal Phoenix. Best to make the opponent expend the effort and meter to snap her in.

Sixfortyfive said:
A good Phoenix player will never put her on point voluntarily if she doesn't have 5 meters, even if they're confident with normal Phoenix. Best to make the opponent expend the effort and meter to snap her in.

Clockwork is the only Phoenix player I respect. You can tell he's actually going for actual combos with DP and X-Factor instead of pressing buttons and teleporting. His two other characters are also not trash. He actually plays a very different ammy from other players. Mad respect for the guy. He also got the same hate for using Strider in MvC2 since it's basically Phoenix Jr.

Sixfortyfive said:

A good Phoenix player also doesn't actually play Phoenix unless they're forced to, even if he/she takes the time to learn her.
Phoenix is like ZOE: A legitimate game that got ditched because of the awesome extra it came with.

Oh, and I should clarify, I meant to say Dark phoenix should not be nerfed, just harder to get out.

Kimosabae

Banned
Ogrekiller said:
A good Phoenix player also doesn't actually play Phoenix unless they're forced to, even if he/she takes the time to learn her.
Phoenix is like ZOE2: A legitimate game that got ditched because of the awesome extra it came with.

Oh, and I should clarify, I meant to say Dark phoenix should not be nerfed, just harder to get out.

The fuck???

Sixfortyfive

Ogrekiller said:
Wut? You should always switch her in (safely) once she has 5 meters and make as much use of her as you can.

Sixfortyfive said:
Wut? You should always switch her in (safely) once she has 5 meters and make as much use of her as you can.

Which more often than not means playing hide and seek with the opponent without using super, until they get fed up and beat you up, which means you aren't playing phoenix anymore.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Sixfortyfive said:
840K + Healing Sphere (and all of her other tools) = lol

Yeah. If she has that shit up and you're hitting her with a combo, her health basically doubles because she regens her red life almost immediately. So if Phoenix had 840k hp, you'd have to do a combo that does about 1.6 million damage to kill her if I understand it correctly. Unless the field drops mid combo I guess, which is kinda likely if you do a combo that lasts a while and you don't hit her right after she puts it up.

Zissou

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah. If she has that shit up and you're hitting her with a combo, her health basically doubles because she regens her red life almost immediately. So if Phoenix had 840k hp, you'd have to do a combo that does about 1.6 million damage to kill her unless the field drops mid combo. If I understand it correctly, anyway.

If you could theoretically play so that you always regenerated every bit of red health you ever had with any character, their life would effectively double. With healing field, she regains health fast, but it's not instant- it would depend on the rate your combo does damage. Also, certain parts of certain combos wouldn't be affected- if I end my Storm combo with her OTG hail storm, she's not close enough for the healing field to have any effect. But yeah, I think 840k health regular Phoenix would be pretty insane.

def sim

Raising meter cap to six just to balance one character is silly.

Anyway, at 840k health she'll just be another Magneto that can turn into a bullshit character. How is that balanced?

Zissou

rance said:
Raising meter cap to six just to balance one character is silly.

Anyway, at 840k health she'll just be another Magneto that can turn into a bullshit character. How is that balanced?

I think they meant she wouldn't turn into Dark Phoenix ever if you chose the higher health version.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Did you mean ZoE1 instead and the MGS demo? I don't get the ZoE2 line otherwise.

My bad. I did mean whatever ZOE game that came with the MGS demo. Another example would be Crackdown/Halo 3 beta I guess.

My problem with xfactor and dark phoenix is not only can she do a lot of damage; it's that xfactor ALSO negates the damage it constantly does to her and prevents you from chipping her out. It also gives you no real reason to use the healing super during those 5+ seconds you have from xfactor, and removes one of the major disadvantages the devs put in to cripple dark phoenix for 5+ seconds.

My problem with phoenix is that she's simply not viable as a main character. The problem is buffing her also buffs DPh. And I want to play phoenix as point and everything without using Dark Phoenix, but she dies far too fast and putting up healing shields every 10 seconds is pretty much necessary, which cuts into meter usage, which means I have to save meter even though I don't ever plan on getting crazy red out.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ogrekiller said:
My problem with phoenix is that she's simply not viable as a main character. The problem is buffing her also buffs DPh. And I want to play phoenix as point and everything without using Dark Phoenix, but she dies far too fast and putting up healing shields every 10 seconds is pretty much necessary, which cuts into meter usage, which means I have to save meter even though I don't ever plan on getting crazy red out.
Why the hell would you put up a health shield, pretty much if you get hit you are dead. Everyone in the game can one combo kill her.

QisTopTier said:
Why the hell would you put up a health shield, pretty much if you get hit you are dead. Everyone in the game can one combo kill her.

Because the healing field regenerates health fast enough that most normal combos only do half damage on her.

Can anyone tell me why it's so freaking hard to finish air combos? Especially in mission mode when you have to end with a light hit, I can't make it happen consistently.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
QisTopTier said:
I'm saying healing shield is pretty useless

What it seems like you're saying is that there isn't a difference between having 800k hp and 400k hp since both can be done in one combo, but in general, doing 400k in one shot and 800k in one shot are two different things.

Plus, DHC glitch and all that. I have a Mag/Phoenix combo that does 1.1mil for 1 bar.

Dahbomb

Actually, Phoenix with Healing Shield can survive most BnBs in the game (which are past 800K). I have tried it with Sentinel and she survived the entire basic BnB into Plasma Field hyper.

Problem with Healing Shield comes from taking attacks from long ranged characters like Ryu/Dormammu who can basically just kill her in one hyper plus some chip damage from a far. Your Healing Shield becomes worthless then because it only heals if the opponent is within the shield. Teleporting after eating the hyper deals with it but how are you going to teleport after you are dead?

Against rushdown, you can definitely survive a combo with the shield activated. Also depends on length of combo because chances of dropping the shield during a long combo are high.

Long story short: You need some insane skills, luck, character match ups going your way and meter management to make regular Phoenix work in her current state.

Also on the note of removing DP and giving Phoenix the 800K+ health... she would still be a really powerful character only now people will play her on point instead of anchor. Phoenix with 2 assists = Godly. Playing against Dark Phoenix team is usually a toss up. Even if they somehow get their DP out, they can mess up and press the wrong button and eat a hyper combo which will kill them. It's a high risk vs reward strategy whereas a Phoenix with 800K health is a very low risk/high reward strategy because she beats out over half the cast easily on character match up strength.

DAT ARTHUR

Sixfortyfive

I'm testing some stiff with regard to character height. Phoenix Rage has a deceptively smaller hitbox than you'd expect; Morrigan, Amaterasu, and Phoenix (lol) can crouch under it cleanly.

Axis

i think phoenix at 750k with no dark phoenix would be about as good as it gets...she's a great char without DP just held back by a severe lack of health

Dahbomb

Meh... best to keep everything the way it is for now and just scale XF back to where LVL3 is LVL2 and LVL2 is LVL1 etc. It would automatically take out all the LVL3 XFC bull shit in the game and nerf Phoenix to a more acceptable level.

After that go for specific speed reductions to take out all the LVL2 XFC loops and broken stuff. Most of the broken stuff in the game comes from increased speed during XFC and that's mostly during LVL3. There is no reason to be giving characters like Wesker increased attack speed during XFC, that gun loop should never exist.

Phoenix is a powerful character but X Factor takes precedence right now. Scaling back XFC is an automatic nerf to Phoenix. No one is going to complain about an X Factor nerf.

Magneto
C.Viper
Jill
MODOK
Amaterasu

best utility characters:
Wesker
Storm
Zero
Dormammu
Trish

best anchors:
Dante
Amaterasu
Morrigan
Chun-Li
Sentinel

I would make the list more like this:

Best Point Characters (Rushdown edition - These characters are some of the best at rushdown, build meter like crazy and don't rely on meter to do high damage. They do however rely on assists to be at their bests. )

*Magneto
*Wolverine
*C. Viper
*She Hulk
*Jill
*X-23

(Honorable mentions to Felicia, Thor, Viewtiful Joe and Spider Man. These guys have potential and Felicia can be played as Anchor for her X Factor boosts too)

Best Point Characters (Zoning edition - Same as rushdown but these characters like to zone and control space while building meter and punishing mistakes)

*Deadpool
*MODOK
*Chris
*Arthur
*Ryu

Best Utility Characters (Safe DHC option, always good to DHC into, great user of meter, generally good all around game)

*Dormammu
*Storm
*Trish
*Zero
*Shuma Gorath

Best Anchor Characters (Absurd X Factor bonuses, good assists, good users of meter, comeback potential and other special properties)

*Phoenix
*Sentinel
*Chun Li
*Akuma
*Morrigan

Best All Around Characters (these characters can play at any of the 3 positions because of their versatility. These characters have good/great assists, safe DHC options, comeback potentials, meter building ability and can play solo as well as being better with assists in the bag).

*Wesker
*Dante
*Amaterasu
*Taskmaster
*Iron Man
*Spencer
*Super Skrull

Best Assist Characters (these characters have assists that are so good that you want them on your team for their assists alone)

*Tron
*Dr Doom
*Haggar
*Hsien Ko
*Hulk (IMO his Anti-Air Gamma Charge is really good for its "get off me" potential)
*Arthur (Gold Armor Bottle toss)

I don't know where to put Captain America but I am really digging his Shield Slash assist. It's so underrated, people are totally sleeping on it. Too bad he sucks without assists, you have to play him either at Point or at 2nd Utility character but there are better options at that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom