• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
shaowebb said:
Hey God's Beard, I have an odd thought and I'm too swamped with animation assignments to play anything for awhile (30+ panel storyboard + 26 weekly detailed environmentals = no MVC3 ever...my luck blows)

Anyhow here is my question.

Doesn't Jill use her dash kick (the H special not the cartwheel) as an assist? If so couldn't that be used as an assist to wall bounce people INTO Thor combos?

I've decided that when I get outta this insane semester of nothing but pure art classes that I want to train up Thor because your posts have been so drool worthy and have brought back a lot of my pre-launch hype for his potential.

Let me know what you think about assists for Thor. I currently roll Wolverine/Ryu/Taskmaster on rushdown offense so if any of those are stand outs for Thor setups let me know.

Ultimately, Thor can more or less max out his BnB by himself, he has a ground bounce and an OTG so he doesn't need much. What does help are assists that add hitstun after the OTG or lockdown assists that let you hit confirm your best combos. The main thing is getting a solid bnb that maxes out your damage and ends on Mighty Smash H. then you can use an assist to link to hypers or reset. That said, If you get the timing to hit Jill's arrow kick assist after the smash OTG, you get an untechable knockdown, giving you all the time in the world to decide what you need. Wall bounce assists in general can be invaluable to any team, and are among the best combo extenders in the game. Unfortunately, only Jill, Spencer and Skrull have them. For hit confirms, Arthur's Fire bottle, Chun's legs, spidey's web ball and anything that keeps people on the ground for a second all work well. Ryu's tatsu could probably fill both assist roles, freeing up the other slot for OTGs or whatever you like the most.

God's Beard said:
Most batshit insane combo I've come up with so far:

Jill/Wesker-
jMHS, MH4H(feral crouch cancel), Flash Kick(jump cancel), jHS, MHS, jMMHS, Low Shot assist, Jumping Roundhouse, Raven Spike DHC Rhino Charge, Low Shot, 2MHS, jMMHS, Low Shot XFC Ghost Butterfly, Raw tag to Jill, MH4H Cartwheel Kick, Raven Spike DHC Rhino Charge, Low Shot, 2MHS, jMMH xx Rhino Charge DHC Machine Gun Spray

Damage: several million

The only problem I see is that this isn't really viable in a real game. j.MHS isn't a good starter.

Prototype-03 said:
The only problem I see is that this isn't really viable in a real game. j.MHS isn't a good starter.
Well then you don't have to do it if you think instant overheads will never hit people. It has a magic series at the very beginning, so it's completely irrelevant how you start it.

The combo isn't viable because the other guy is dead long before the combo ends, and you don't need x-factor at all, not to mention the raw tag only works at specific ranges. there's a reason I labeled it batshit insane. It's combo video stuff. I'm not unaware of how to hit my opponent.

God's Beard said:
Well then you don't have to do it if you think instant overheads will never hit people. It has a magic series at the very beginning, so it's completely irrelevant how you start it.

The combo isn't viable because the other guy is dead long before the combo ends, and you don't need x-factor at all, not to mention the raw tag only works at specific ranges. there's a reason I labeled it batshit insane. It's combo video stuff. I'm not unaware of how to hit my opponent.

Have you tried it in a real match? It doesn't work on crouching opponents so it doesn't matter if it's overhead... Maybe it works on sent. That loop is used for combos usually after somersault.

Prototype-03 said:
Have you tried it in a real match? It doesn't work on crouching opponents so it doesn't matter if it's overhead... Maybe it works on sent. That loop is used for combos usually after somersault.

Like I said, it doesn't matter. If your only problem with a 6 bar x-factor combo and a raw tag that only works from exactly 2/5ths of the screen from the corner is that the optional instant overhead doesn't hit every character, you should probably be paying more attention.

God's Beard said:
Like I said, it doesn't matter. If your only problem with a 6 bar x-factor combo and a raw tag that only works from exactly 2/5ths of the screen from the corner is that the optional instant overhead doesn't hit every character, you should probably be paying more attention.

I guess we both agree that that combo sucks then

Dahbomb

Nothing wrong with having a "don't be mad cuz I be stylin' on you" combo in the bag for playing those casual games.

I have some of those too in my pocket. :)

Sometimes you are just facing one character with like 5 meters in the bag with X Factor on deck and you just want to waste a metric ton of stuff just to kill the last guy. I have finished matches with THCs as well, salty as hell.

Dahbomb

Did you guys see that JWong Thor play on that ARK III stream?

Dude ripped it up! He was doing resets and shit plus crazy air maneuvering with Thor made him look like fucking Storm. Godly stuff.

He raped with Chris too... DAT LVL3!!!

McNum

So today I was going to practice some Zero and try it out on some Player Matches and see if he was worth keeping around. But then I get around to it and I just don't care. I look at the Online Mode menu and just go "meh". I just don't feel like going online and playing MvC3 against random people. It's pretty much been that way since I got the game, really. I've gotten about 10 online matches in, and it pretty much feels like a chore every time. Find an opponent. Wait for opponent. Fight someone random. Win/lose. Repeat.

Am I the only one feeling this way? Just not caring about random online play?

Problem is, of course, that I don't know anyone else who's into MvC3, or fighting games in general, for that matter, so the only competition I can get is random online, and I just don't care for it. Especially if the opponent has voice chat, I really don't care to speak with someone I'll know for just 99 Marvel seconds.

On the Zero note, I don't think he's for me. He's good, yeah, but I lose track of him real fast. And the whole "D'oh! I should have used THAT move two seconds ago!" feeling I get with him is somewhat annoying. Sure, practice will get rid of that, but still. I can't play a character where half my time is spent second guessing my own actions. Pity, really, I like Zero. But I prefer Morrigan over him, it seems. Zero pretty much has to stay glued to the opponent, and I'm beginning to think I'm more comfortable at mid-range.

Eh, I think I'll just finish off Arcade mode instead today. A trophy's a trophy.

Dahbomb

People need to start respecting Chris. Seriously.

Right now in the current meta game, people just aren't that good at blocking and keeping away from rushdown. As people get better at defense, we will be seeing more zoning teams emerge (Deadpool/MODOK/Chris play will come forward). A good Chris backed up by a good assist can eat through teams. Seeing JWong play with Chris also made it clear to me, he almost made Chris look broken with the freakin' 200K+ damaging Revolver in X factor. Don't even get me started on the XFC Flamethrower plus Grenade chip damage insanity in corner against incoming character.

Some good Chris play

JWong in the lab with Dante, he wants to style too.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My poor friend is so discouraged; I keep kicking his ass with master Dorm:

I fucking Hate Dormammu, HATE. Worst thing is, I play mainly Wesker/Jill/Zero. All close range. Wesker has a teleport, but it's not "In front, above, or behind", it's based on enemy position, and with my bro here, he's always at the other end of the stage, throwin his traps, then his black holes, then his specials, then his arrows

He already says he won't be playing it very much now. I keep telling him he just needs to practice. He just got the game, whereas I've had it since it came out. I've been bugging him to get it since he enjoyed it so much when we played together at my house. :( Blah.

Jill/Dante seems to be pretty good. Dante doesn't need an OTG assist like Zero does to combo after Raven Spike, which helps, but I think Zero's clone is better than Devil Trigger. Neither one has assists that are particularly outstanding for Jill, though I might be able to reconstruct my Bnb so I can OTG with crystals, which would free up the 3rd slot to pretty much anyone I want. If I can do that, then Dante would be a solid replacement for Wesker since I'd be able to keep Doom.

A Human Becoming said:
Wesker is his favorite and best character though.
Wesker's my best character too. If he doesn't want a new character, tell him to put Jill up front. Raven Spike DHC counter is a free million damage.

Since neogaf has a lot of players that aren't long time fighting fans, here's some quick tips on building a team:

Point character: Should be able to deal with any sudden strategy, build meter quickly or not require meter. Characters with assists that can be powered up or give an advantage to your utility character are a good choice. Arthur, MODOK, Magneto, Amaterasu are great point characters.
Utility character: Should be able to DHC in and out safely, this is the character you have confidence in to keep alive while your other two are healing. Wesker, Dormammu, Zero, Trish are great utility characters.
Anchor character: This character's primary job is to have a great assist for your point and utility character, but should also be the character that can deal damage quickly or survive without assists. Sentinel, Dante, Iron Man, Akuma are great anchors.

On assists:
Generally speaking, you want a combo assist and a utility assist. For combos, an OTG or Wallbounce assist is a great help to any team, as is anything with a lot of active frames that allow you to link together otherwise impossible combos. Wesker's low shot, Chun's lightning legs, Spencer's Armor Piercer and Hulk's Gamma Wave are all good combo assists. For utility, anything that magnifys your characters' game plan is what you need. Lockdown assists like Iron Man's beam, Doom missiles or Sentinel Drones are great for mixup characters, while cross counter assists like Thor's Mighty Smash M, Tron's Gustav Flame or Haggar's lariat are very useful for runaway characters. There's unlimited potential when it comes to assists and most serve a variety of purposes, so this is the time to get creative!

Special teams:
There are other ways to create teams that build insane meter quickly or always have unblockable setups no matter who's on point, or teams that only want to fill the screen with projectiles at all costs. The main thing is to experiment with what feels best for you while iteratively climbing towards your perfect team. Remember, this is a strategy game, so use your brain more than your fingers!

Mumei

Dahbomb said:
Did you guys see that JWong Thor play on that ARK III stream?

Dude ripped it up! He was doing resets and shit plus crazy air maneuvering with Thor made him look like fucking Storm. Godly stuff.

He raped with Chris too... DAT LVL3!!!

Nope.

Is the stream archived somewhere?

Edit: And never mind. Found it. Thanks for mentioning it, though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
RS4- said:
Was wondering how long it'd take before people starting using the mine assist for Redfield.
I kinda like the pew pew gun one more. Mine one isnt bad though, it's like a ghetto flame carpet.

Ok, so I remade my combo to fit Dante, it's kinda weird but it does the job and I won't have to rely on Wesker anymore. So for those of you who can't tell the difference between style and old reliable, here's my main bnb:

2L2MH(feral crouch cancel), Flash Kick(jump cancel), jHS, MH4H, A1(Jam Session), Cartwheel Kick, Raven Spike DHC Devil Trigger, Volcano(Jump cancel), jMH xx Killer Bee, A1(Arrow Kick), dash forward, S, jMMH xx Sky Dance xx Million Dollars/H reset

As far as I can tell so far, it works on every character anywhere on the screen. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Dante because he's one of the few characters I never tried to for a team with before, so I'm sure I can figure out some extra juice with his side of the combo, probably jump cancel the launcher into Acid Rain or something. Could probably cancel Volcano into something else as well, and the Jill side is a little more constrained than what I was able to do with Wesker because I can't really OTG. Still, with a little tweaking here and there, this combo should kill every character in the game, and if I'm lucky I won't need to use the Million Dollars.

God's Beard said:
Ok, so I remade my combo to fit Dante, it's kinda weird but it does the job and I won't have to rely on Wesker anymore. So for those of you who can't tell the difference between style and old reliable, here's my main bnb:

2L2MH(feral crouch cancel), Flash Kick(jump cancel), jHS, MH4H, A1(Jam Session), Cartwheel Kick, Raven Spike DHC Devil Trigger, Volcano(Jump cancel), jMH xx Killer Bee, A1(Arrow Kick), dash forward, S, jMMH xx Sky Dance xx Million Dollars/H reset

As far as I can tell so far, it works on every character anywhere on the screen. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Dante because he's one of the few characters I never tried to for a team with before, so I'm sure I can figure out some extra juice with his side of the combo, probably jump cancel the launcher into Acid Rain or something. Could probably cancel Volcano into something else as well, and the Jill side is a little more constrained than what I was able to do with Wesker because I can't really OTG. Still, with a little tweaking here and there, this combo should kill every character in the game, and if I'm lucky I won't need to use the Million Dollars.

"English motherfucker, do you speak it?"
Sorry, I just had to :p

For all his moves, Dante doesn't seem to have a lot of variety in move properties. Lots of cancels, but no wall bounces or staggers, just a ton of ground bounces and OTGs. It's not really an issue, but it is kind of funny. Then again, I forgot Dante could double jump until about 15 seconds ago. Hmm... I should probably end the Jill section at the Jam Session, then save the ground bounce for Dante, or at least find a way to use Jill's wall bounce in a way that works consistently. Or use both with Dante, assuming I can get that far without killing my hitstun. Hmm... Skill wasn't kidding, this thing really is a sand box. I don't even use the character forums, the stats in the guide have been more than enough to keep me busy.

Masamuna

God's Beard said:
For all his moves, Dante doesn't seem to have a lot of variety in move properties. Lots of cancels, but no wall bounces or staggers, just a ton of ground bounces and OTGs. It's not really an issue, but it is kind of funny. Then again, I forgot Dante could double jump until about 15 seconds ago. Hmm... I should probably end the Jill section at the Jam Session, then save the ground bounce for Dante, or at least find a way to use Jill's wall bounce in a way that works consistently. Or use both with Dante, assuming I can get that far without killing my hitstun. Hmm... Skill wasn't kidding, this thing really is a sand box. I don't even use the character forums, the stats in the guide have been more than enough to keep me busy.

Stinger after any gun trick is a wall bounce. I.E. OTG coldshower (df+HHH) xx f+H.

edit- IIRC the wall bounce only activates during combos (doesn't work on a standing opponent).

QisTopTier said:
I kinda like the pew pew gun one more. Mine one isnt bad though, it's like a ghetto flame carpet.

I use the pew pew one myself. Does really massive chip if someone is blocking lots.

God's Beard said:
Since neogaf has a lot of players that aren't long time fighting fans, here's some quick tips on building a team:

Or alternatively you can use the patented TheFightingFish team construction method. It goes something like this:

Point: Some character that you like
Mid: Some other character that you like
Anchor: Some other character that you like

Could just me be who's odd like that though. I didn't really enjoy SSFIV until I started maining Dan. I like the challenge of working with odd tools. I pick my MvC teams just on whatever whim strikes me and then I try to make it work out as best as I can
Yeah, I don't win very much, big surprise there.

Masamuna said:
Stinger after any gun trick is a wall bounce. I.E. OTG coldshower (df+HHH) xx f+H.

edit- IIRC the wall bounce only activates during combos (doesn't work on a standing opponent).

Good to know. thanks!

enzo_gt said:
When is Captivate this year?
This weekend, we get the info in two weeks.

TheFightingFish said:
I use the pew pew one myself. Does really massive chip if someone is blocking lots.

Or alternatively you can use the patented TheFightingFish team construction method. It goes something like this:

Point: Some character that you like
Mid: Some other character that you like
Anchor: Some other character that you like

Could just me be who's odd like that though. I didn't really enjoy SSFIV until I started maining Dan. I like the challenge of working with odd tools. I pick my MvC teams just on whatever whim strikes me and then I try to make it work out as best as I can
Yeah, I don't win very much, big surprise there.

Yeah I play Marvel more sciencey than most. That's what I find fun, though, experimenting and revising.

God's Beard said:
Yeah I play Marvel more sciencey than most. That's what I find fun, though, experimenting and revising.

I actually really respect that. I like seeing the crazy odd combos that you post in this thread. And I'm always impressed by the folks who really get into the game engine mechanics. But for me, at least with character selection, feel and looks just matters more. Once I assemble my team I try to get them to work together in the best way, but I just can't be bother to try to play characters who don't appeal to me visually or in playstyle. Plus my slight hope is that unexpected teams might help me out a bit at the scrub levels where I play as opponents might not know how to play versus my characters as well as they would know how to play against Sentinel, Wolverine or Dante.

Ashkeloth

So Marvel-GAF, I've run into a bit of a dilemma.

Since this game came out, I've been using a team of Viewtiful Joe/Spencer/Amaterasu. Now that the perople are starting to understand it more, though, I'm slowly starting to realise how utterly inadequate Viewtiful Joe is at most things related to this game. I love the midget superhero style he has going on, but his gameplay is lacking, and with the netcode this game has, landing that H after his c.M, M, H, c.H, 243M seems impossible sometimes, especially when I'm dealing with someone triangle jumping like a madman or throwing out random supers, and that's not even taking into account how short his limbs are or how low his health is.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement character that would have some good synergy with my other two team members? As it is, Ammy is my anchor, Spencer's just the middle character, and I guess Viewtiful Joe is my point character even if he's terrible at it.

I'm not terrible with Iron Man and Thor, but I personally believe no matter how cool the suit is, Tony Stark is pretty much the biggest asshole ever, and Thor is... lacking in options.

Ashkeloth said:
So Marvel-GAF, I've run into a bit of a dilemma.

Since this game came out, I've been using a team of Viewtiful Joe/Spencer/Amaterasu. Now that the perople are starting to understand it more, though, I'm slowly starting to realise how utterly inadequate Viewtiful Joe is at most things related to this game. I love the midget superhero style he has going on, but his gameplay is lacking, and with the netcode this game has, landing that H after his c.M, M, H, c.H, 243M seems impossible sometimes, especially when I'm dealing with someone triangle jumping like a madman or throwing out random supers, and that's not even taking into account how short his limbs are or how low his health is.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement character that would have some good synergy with my other two team members? As it is, Ammy is my anchor, Spencer's just the middle character, and I guess Viewtiful Joe is my point character even if he's terrible at it.

I'm not terrible with Iron Man and Thor, but I personally believe no matter how cool the suit is, Tony Stark is pretty much the biggest asshole ever, and Thor is... lacking in options.

If you like Iron Man, have you tried Magneto?

Spencer/Magneto/Amaterasu would be a solid team. Cold Star would really help both characters, or you could use bloom and try for Bionic Arm DHC Gravity Squeeze.

Neki

god on most days, I enjoy watching marvel than actually playing it. playing online is all fine and dandy but all the combos I can do offline are virtually useless online. :(

edit: I just realized there is a stream today, yay! my needs are fulfilled.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ultimoo said:
god on most days, I enjoy watching marvel than actually playing it. playing online is all fine and dandy but all the combos I can do offline are virtually useless online. :(
I've found this too, I whiff combos I've practiced offline over and over when I go up against online opponents so often. I do enjoy matches with people of equal skill regardless though.

Akuma, Amaterasu and Wolverine, in that order are the most annoying characters to play online.

enzo_gt said:
I've found this too, I whiff combos I've practiced offline over and over when I go up against online opponents so often. I do enjoy matches with people of equal skill regardless though.

Akuma, Amaterasu and Wolverine, in that order are the most annoying characters to play online.

This man speaks the truth

Oh wow, KillerKai uses the exact same team style that I do. I don't agree with his team order or putting Wesker and Zero on the same team, but maybe he just chose them because they're characters he likes. Still, in terms of archetypes, he might as well be using the same characters.

edit: This commentator is kind of ignorant. Dormammu bad for zoning because he has trouble keeping people off of him? The hell do you think the flame carpets are for? Combos? this guy is doing a pretty solid job with Dorm, but I'd like to see him stock more levels. then again, he might not have much time because the other dude keeps flying into all his attacks like they were bug lanterns.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
wtf is jwong doing using Chris?!

I was just about to unleash Chris on point!

Fuck you Justin! First, he didn't even respond when I said "hey, it's Justin Wong!" at PAX2010. Then he uses Tronn. Then he uses Chris! Justin Wong is ruining my life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom