• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferrio said:
Who cares about knockdowns? Not like your opponent isn't going to pick you up off the floor soon as you hit it.

You do run out of DHCs and OTGs at some point. If they're still alive, then hitting an opponent after they get up is probably important.

Ferrio

Banned
God's Beard said:
You do run out of DHCs and OTGs at some point. If they're still alive, then hitting an opponent after they get up is probably important.

By that time hit stun deterioration has kicked in big time, and you usually air recover.

Ferrio said:
By that time hit stun deterioration has kicked in big time, and you usually air recover.

What are you talking about? I'm saying when the combo ends and they're on the ground, you attack them after they get up, right? That's fighting games 101. You're saying it doesn't matter?

Solune

Ferrio said:
I think you're thinking about it the wrong way Ferrio. I'm pretty sure God's Beard means is after alls said and done in your combo, who has the best mixup game after a knockdown. I would vote for characters with strong reset abilities and can combo off throws like She-Hulk, Wesker, Dante, Taskmaster etc.

Ferrio

Banned
Solune said:
I think you're thinking about it the wrong way Ferrio. I'm pretty sure God's Beard means is after alls said and done in your combo, who has the best mixup game after a knockdown. I would vote for characters with strong reset abilities and can combo off throws like She-Hulk, Wesker, Dante, Taskmaster etc.

But like I said, you are usually never in knockdown state after someone has done their BnB on you.

Azure J

Best fucking conversation ever on the spooky stream on Hanna Barbara vs. Capcom. And wtffff I missed some epic Chun posting this. D'X

Solune

Ferrio said:
But like I said, you are usually never in knockdown state after someone has done their BnB on you.
Eh... It really depends. It's part of the strategy, can you kill someone without super, do you want finish your combo off with super, do I want to DHC to kill this guy, what if I drop a combo?
Not trying to put Proto on blast but, out of the games I played with him and won I'd look at the results and I'd have 5 meters and he'd have 0 - 1.

Edit:
It really depends on the character you're using and what happens after you use a hyper or not, or what you consider your BnB.
I never use Wesker's Maximum Wesker in a combo because well, it sucks. But he has an amazing mixup game after OTG pistol, command grab, ambiguous tele and it all leads to massive to damage.

Grecco

kirblar said:
You see him get KTFO'd by Dark Phoenix?

Heh actually no, i read in the spooky stream about it and switched out to the ark one. Justin won the next 2 handidly with his she hulk.

Korigama

Dahbomb said:
Speaking of Gill, I hope Capcom adds a Capcom equivalent of Phoenix in the game (character who comes back at LVL5). It's not fair that only one character can do this.

Personally, I'm much more bothered by the fact that no one on the Capcom side has a beam special (special, not hyper) while Marvel's side has six people with one, along a seventh with such attacks as normal moves with Sentinel.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Korigama said:
Personally, I'm much more bothered by the fact that no one on the Capcom side has a beam special (special, not hyper) while Marvel's side has six people with one, along a seventh with such attacks as normal moves with Sentinel.
ammy's ice shit might as well be a beam, also arthur lances rape beams.

Enk

makes good threads.
Wish I had known an Arkansas tourney was going to happen. I might've actually driven out there to participate since there's rarely ever any tourney's around these parts.

Threi

notag
DryEyeRelief said:
You didn't have a hatred of cammy until super.
double LOL

I hated SF4 Cammy day one in vanilla, complained about her the whole time before people started hanging off her vagina after sako picked her up.

Threi said:
double LOL

I hated SF4 Cammy day one in vanilla, complained about her the whole time before people started hanging off her vagina after sako picked her up.

whatever. point is tiers for every game are relative to the characters that currently exist. An S rank character in AE isn't at the same level as an S rank character in vanilla. We give compliments to Fei Long for getting 200 damage off his uppercut for 1 ex bar right now, when that was the standard damage for any uppercut in vanilla without meter! If SF4 anniversary edition ever comes out, I'll take challenges from any of you guys with Yun using vanilla Rufus.

Threi

notag
thing is there's more to character rank then just raw damage output. You have to account for a character's toolset as well, not to mention risk/reward ratio.

I don't think the negative reaction towards Yun right now is because "he does too much damage".

Korigama

QisTopTier said:
ammy's ice shit might as well be a beam, also arthur lances rape beams.

Those are decent solutions when playing those characters on point (Cold Star can come out fast enough to stuff such attacks, and the first standard lance can negate most but not all beams while gold armor lances go through everything), but still don't offer a solution for their side in respect to a projectile assist to lock the enemy down from a distance and allow other characters to close in. Ammy's Cold Star assist fires at an angle and is only effective when called no more than 3/4 of the screen away, and Arthur's lances aren't available as an assist option. Still, Chris' machine gun assist seems to be one option for that purpose.

Admittedly, this observation is just an excuse for me to hope they add Saki as DLC (pretty much the only TvC character omitted that I'd press Capcom for but personally wouldn't count on seeing, even if she'd be more useful than Frank in this game).

Threi said:
thing is there's more to character rank then just raw damage output. You have to account for a character's toolset as well, not to mention risk/reward ratio.

I don't think the negative reaction towards Yun right now is because "he does too much damage".

next you're going to be telling me life doesn't matter.

damage output is tied directly into risk/reward. it isn't just about utility, safe vs unsafe, because damage determines how many successful "exchanges" you need to perform in order to win against your opponent. guile's sonic boom recover time only became a problem when he had the damage to back it up. (vanilla vs super) and remember, guile didn't receive damage nerfs, with the exception of backhand. that's to give you perspective.

and in AE terms, Yun is a hard hitting character.

damage output means more than what you're giving credit for. it's the big reason why traditional matchups that were in sim's favor in vanilla (ryu and sagat) were even at best.

Stop with the SF chatter in this thread guys, tier list are utterly pointless in most cases anyway given they assume people can play characters perfectly which nobody can, the only exceptions are when somebody's as broken as Yun is in AE or SNK bosses.

On the topic of MvC could anybody help me with Ammy's H spam? Is there an opportune moment to push-block it and punish?

Spirit of Jazz said:
Stop with the SF chatter in this thread guys, tier list are utterly pointless in most cases anyway given they assume people can play characters perfectly which nobody can, the only exceptions are when somebody's as broken as Yun is in AE or SNK bosses.

I'm not talking about tier lists.

If you want to bring this back into MvC, I'd say that people are quick to say that some character is too strong without understanding why. If you guys can't differentiate between what's strong in different games, then I argue that you do not understand why Yun is currently the best character in AE. You are just proving Kimosabae right about the contradicting attitudes regarding this game and sf4.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yes I love trish some great play on the stream right now.

Is this ricky?

Did they play some WWE allstars earlier today? People were talking about it on the stream im trying to see some high level Big Show.

Is no one watching the stream?

MThanded

I agree with them phoenix makes me salty even if she's not beating me. Seeing her beat someone else increases my sodium levels.

MThanded

Everyone on that stream is drunk as hell lol

"We BLOOOOOOOOOWED DIS ISH UP MOFOSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

I play winner stream chat has turned into an episode of to catch a predator...

NinajHeartless said:
Shout outs to SolarPowered!

Good games, though I think my quality of play was not up to snuff at all once I returned from the break (that or you figured me out after the 20 matches we played previously). I was also getting some lag on my end, I know in the end I was the one fucking up constantly <:)

Thanks for the training! I greatly appreciate it and I hope I wasn't too terrible for you! :3

Oh oh oh and if you have any tips please feel free to post them ^_^
My bad on the super late response, but I was absolutely consumed by my EV training. I just finished going through eight pokemon or so and I've got the time to post.

You've improved a massive amount in a short time in my opinion. Your Dormammu is much better than the last time and fighting the guy honestly scares the shit out of me now. The only tip I've got regarding him is to time your teleports. They're on point most of the time, but one mistake on those and you could be eating some serious damage on your best character(that happened a few times).

Your Hsien-Ko is better than before, but I'm still not seeing improvement in her solo use. You're gold pendulum strategy is a lot better than before, but it's still lacking. You've got to time it so that she gets hurt as little as possible. If you cannot learn her assist properties inside and out while you play X-23 and Dormammu you'll be stuck with an anchor in the end.

The one thing I really wanted to get into was your X-23 usage. You were annoying the shit out of me with the pendulum assist and her air slashes. It's a pretty ingenious strategy, but it's not going to hold up if you're X-23 is still so frail. She seems be your worst character when it's just her and you definitely need to fix that. You've got to get a handle on her other combos. I see a lot of untapped potential. She is invaluable for her ability to get in on people and she pairs well with Hsien-Ko's assist. Don't be afraid to switch her out after a nice combo. Her well being is absolutely something to aware of throughout the match.

I've got to hand it to you when it came to your DHC usage. It was definitely one of your shining moments when it came to preserving X-23. I just wish that you'd use it more. Your pendulum/air slash traps are pretty smart, but dangerous depending on the character you are facing(Ammy punished it hard a few times and Morrigan's uppercut hyper stuffs it). You've improved a great deal in your defense as well. I have not seen anyone defend against my Ammy up close so well(maybe one other person).

I think you'll do pretty well in that tournament if you keep a cool head. Just try to remember that your strategy may not hold up against other characters who have better hitstun/recovery and way faster hypers. Getting used to my playing style and team will not cut it no matter how good I get. I was getting salty as fuck during a few of those matches if that helps.

El Sloth

Banned

Neki

god I hate playing q some days, makes me rage with his zoning and the delay we get, almost impossible for me to ever get in. also that he manages to hit confirm like a mofo in the lag is even more annoying. you hear me q, I DESPISE YOU. D:

edit: can someone tell me the inputs for the buktooth loop (think that is what it is called) for doom?

Ultimoo said:
god I hate playing q some days, makes me rage with his zoning and the delay we get, almost impossible for me to ever get in. also that he manages to hit confirm like a mofo in the lag is even more annoying. you hear me q, I DESPISE YOU. D:
I wish I could play the guy on the 360. I get so much lag when fighting gaffers on the PS3 and it frustrates me to no end. He only gets to see the tip of the iceberg on the PS3.

It makes me wonder how BlazBlue will run when it arrives in a few days...

Degen

So I just realized today that Hulk doesn't need an assist to OTG... I've been using the Rocket Punch assist when I could've had dem dronez this whole time...

worst. hulk user. ever

El Sloth

Banned
^Which reminds me, I still need to pick up one of those Broken Tier shirts.

God's Beard said:
Nice, I used to play 3s at SFSU between classes before I knew there was even a competitive fighting game scene. I always saw tournament flyers around and just lumped all those people in with anime clubs.
Haha, that's actually the situation on my campus. The anime/sc-fi guys seem to be the only ones running tourneys. I've never been though so I can't say for sure.

Wesker was the first character I played way back at the Gamespot tournament, and the more I play him, the more I think he's good, and the more I think he's shit. He's kinda like Guile, very straight forward and safe but not a lot of moves, but what he does have works really well at what it does. He doesn't have to worry about push block or projectiles, but his anti air options are among the worst in the game. All you can really do is repeat his left/right/command grab mixup, but at the same time there's almost no risk to doing it over and over, and every hit is a potential 550k+.

I really want to replace him since I think Jill does what he does better, but he has the best unity with her, and he's one of my two best characters along with Dormammu. I'd need a character with a quick OTG assist and good DHC options(ie combo after Raven Spike), but I can't think of anyone like that. She-Hulk and X-23 would technically work, but they aren't really characters I like, and I really don't want to jump on the shulkie train. The other option is give up my Doom missiles and give my second character the cover assist and the third the OTG, but I really think that Doom is the best lockdown for Jill and Wesker, teleporters with relatively poor anti-air game.

However, that would open up the anchor for Akuma, Deadpool, C.Viper and Iron Man, all arguably better anchors than Doom. Then my utility character slots could be Thor, Taskmaster, Dante or Amaterasu.

I could also use Hulk as an anchor, who combines OTG and lockdown assists, leaving me free to use Zero, who has the second best unity with Jill and far better options than Wesker. But then I'm stuck with Hulk as an anchor, which has obvious problems.

I want to do similar things with my other team and replace Arthur so I can put Dormammu on point with the liberation assist, but Gold Fire Bottle is by far the best assist for Dormammu.

So many decisions.

SolarPowered said:
<Bunch of kind words and valid criticism>

Thank you so much :) The matches were really fun and reading your analysis of my scrub tactics is really awesome!

I really appreciate you taking time away from your Pokemon to post all that stuff and I hope to train with you and some other Gaffers before the tournament on Tuesday! ^_^ *hug*

/endgushingabouthowniceandawesomeSolarPoweredis

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems sometimes Hulk's command throw can be extended. I've seen on streams he keeps spinning people longer somehow. Is there a trick to this?

Most batshit insane combo I've come up with so far:

Jill/Wesker-
jMHS, MH4H(feral crouch cancel), Flash Kick(jump cancel), jHS, MHS, jMMHS, Low Shot assist, Jumping Roundhouse, Raven Spike DHC Rhino Charge, Low Shot, 2MHS, jMMHS, Low Shot XFC Ghost Butterfly, Raw tag to Jill, MH4H Cartwheel Kick, Raven Spike DHC Rhino Charge, Low Shot, 2MHS, jMMH xx Rhino Charge DHC Machine Gun Spray

Damage: several million

robut said:
Maybe I'm crazy but it seems sometimes Hulk's command throw can be extended. I've seen on streams he keeps spinning people longer somehow. Is there a trick to this?
Mash buttons while you throw. It has to be urley though.
Basically, know the throw will land first and mash.

shaowebb

Hey God's Beard, I have an odd thought and I'm too swamped with animation assignments to play anything for awhile (30+ panel storyboard + 26 weekly detailed environmentals = no MVC3 ever...my luck blows)

Anyhow here is my question.

Doesn't Jill use her dash kick (the H special not the cartwheel) as an assist? If so couldn't that be used as an assist to wall bounce people INTO Thor combos?

I've decided that when I get outta this insane semester of nothing but pure art classes that I want to train up Thor because your posts have been so drool worthy and have brought back a lot of my pre-launch hype for his potential.

Let me know what you think about assists for Thor. I currently roll Wolverine/Ryu/Taskmaster on rushdown offense so if any of those are stand outs for Thor setups let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom