• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
To be honest, the craziness and lack of correctness is the reason why I love MvC and the reason why it's difficult for me to go back to SF now that my holy grail of fighting games is here. I agree with God's Beard, the entertainment value is different from that of other fighting games, and they fill different niches. I'm not afraid I'll have to "re-learn" a character in MVC3 (and lets face it, a health nerf doesn't create a drastic change, it creates a reality check), I'm afraid they'll sterilize it.

That's why I'm still undecided on the patching idea. I do believe infinites have to go though, no matter how easy or hard they are to do. They make some hype if you get caught in them, but I don't see them benefiting gameplay at all.

Dahbomb

Well that's pretty much what I was talking about. :/

See Capcom put something called Hit Stun Deterioration in this game which has the sole purpose of negating infinites in the game. Infinites don't get me hyped, in fact they get me anti-hyped. And thing is that when you turn on X Factor, you get free infinites off of mashing H (true story, you can mash d/f+H with Dante in X Factor and that's an infinite).

Hell, keep the damage, the speed and the other buffs but don't allow it so that someone can mash to victory. That's just not hype.

I don't think it's too much of an ask and the community has generally been happy with most things in the game.

Then they should skullgirls that shit and use the DMC combo rating system to enforce infinites. Remove hitstun for similar attacks, add it for variety.

I think you are wrong God's Beard. ssf4 is not boring. Maybe to you it. But not to me and many other gamers. Do you find tekken boring? All you need to know if your frame data. Right? Are you saying ypu don't need to know hit boxes and frame data in VF too?

I am against nerfing for no reason. But tweaking of mechanics and glitches is needed and welcomed

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
Then they should skullgirls that shit and use the DMC combo rating system to enforce infinites. Remove hitstun for similar attacks, add it for variety.
That actually sounds epic.

SSF4 is entertaining to watch more so than play. You really have to grind out to be proficient at SSF4 and even then you will not be satisfied with your performance. Better to watch the pros and see the mind games/mix ups at work. It's a technical delight.

MVC3 has all that too with MASSIVE HYPE, X FACTOR, BLAZING SPEED AND 300% COMBOS!!!!

300% is for cowards and pansies. I want to see a combo that takes advantage of a minimum of 3 infinites and two hitstun/damage reset glitches all while juggling 3 characters.

Gimme that 30,000,000 damage.

Dark Phoenix/C.Viper/Dante, make it happen.

Crocodile

As far as I understand it, X-Factor was put in as a comeback mechanic and a "hype" generator. It's one thing to modify bonuses particular characters get at certain levels (does Sentinel need a 220% damage boost AND 130% speed boost? Does Dark Phenoix need to be so random?), but if we start taking out levels or drastically reduce the time duration, it loses its primary purpose. In all the streams I've watched, a level 3 X Factor RARELY OCV's a 3 man team; it will more often then not returns it to a 1v1 situation if the user doesn't just get blown up anyway. Time and time again, the best uses of X Factor have been to make yourself safe, create openings, or 2 for 1 your opponent if you catch an assist. No level of X-Factor has proven to be an auto-win button. The most skillful players are winning the big and local events, time and time again. I'm not convinced that the mechanic is innately a problem.

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
300% is for cowards and pansies. I want to see a combo that takes advantage of a minimum of 3 infinites and two hitstun/damage reset glitches all while juggling 3 characters.

Gimme that 30,000,000 damage.

Dark Phoenix/C.Viper/Dante, make it happen.
It's possible. I have seen a 4 million LVL3 X Factor combo on one character, so multiply that by 3 and you get 12 million. And that combo didn't even use an infinite nor did it use a powerful X Factor character.

Oh I'm sorry, is that a down medium kick?

sYlJL.jpg

Crocodile said:
As far as I understand it, X-Factor was put in as a comeback mechanic and a "hype" generator. It's one thing to modify bonuses particular characters get at certain levels (does Sentinel need a 220% damage boost AND 130% speed boost? Does Dark Phenoix need to be so random?), but if we start taking out levels or drastically reduce the time duration, it loses its primary purpose. In all the streams I've watched, a level 3 X Factor RARELY OCV's a 3 man team; it will more often then not returns it to a 1v1 situation if the user doesn't just get blown up anyway. Time and time again, the best uses of X Factor have been to make yourself safe, create openings, or 2 for 1 your opponent if you catch an assist. No level of X-Factor has proven to be an auto-win button.

It it was an auto win button then the game would be unplayable. Making the situation a 1 vs 1, after beating your opponents' two other characters, makes it too strong.

Aris said it the best. You don't know if you're winning in this game until you've already won.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Well that's pretty much what I was talking about. :/

See Capcom put something called Hit Stun Deterioration in this game which has the sole purpose of negating infinites in the game. Infinites don't get me hyped, in fact they get me anti-hyped. And thing is that when you turn on X Factor, you get free infinites off of mashing H (true story, you can mash d/f+H with Dante in X Factor and that's an infinite).

Hell, keep the damage, the speed and the other buffs but don't allow it so that someone can mash to victory. That's just not hype.

I don't think it's too much of an ask and the community has generally been happy with most things in the game.
C'mon son, that near infinite Wesker Lvl 3 X-Factor gun infinite is pure getting style son. That shit is hype.

The rest in practice, not so much.

Azure J

Dahbomb said:
That's so aptly MAHVEL.

Seriously, that needs to be a box quote. :lol

Edit: The gun loop can't get patched out, I will be so mad if it does. Styling against superhumans, deities, demons and regular strong as fuck guys with a regular ass gun is just too Mahvel. :lol

Ferrio

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
It it was an auto win button then the game would be unplayable. Making the situation a 1 vs 1, after beating your opponents' two other characters, makes it too strong.

Ya it really makes the person who was winning actions almost pointless. You can be beasting someone creating capitalizing on lots of and widdling someone down to one person. Then all it takes is that person just to find ONE/TWO openings (which is even easier do to speed increase) to even it back to 1v1.

Why even play the first half of the match if that shit's possible? It's all just filler.

Ferrio said:
Ya it really makes the person who was winning actions pointless. You can be beasting someone creating capitalizing on lots of and widdling someone down to one person. Then all it takes is that person just to find ONE/TWO openings (which is even easier do to speed increase) to even it back to 1v1.

Why even play the first half of the match if that shit's possible? It's all just filler.

MIGHT AS WELL JUST HIT RESET AT FIRST HIT LOL

smurfx

get some go again
DryEyeRelief said:
Aris said it the best. You don't know if you're winning in this game until you've already won.
lol don't i know it. freaking obliterate 2 of the other guys characters and then he comes at me with a level 5 phoenix and destroys me or i get my ass beat down by x factor sentinel.

smurfx said:
lol don't i know it. freaking obliterate 2 of the other guys characters and then he comes at me with a level 5 phoenix and destroys me or i get my ass beat down by x factor sentinel.
protip: kill phoenix first.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AzureJericho said:
Seriously, that needs to be a box quote. :lol

Edit: The gun loop can't get patched out, I will be so mad if it does. Styling against superhumans, deities, demons and regular strong as fuck guys with a regular ass gun is just too Mahvel. :lol
Thank god the gun-loop isn't an infinite :D

I had a tourney at my place on the weekend of release and when a friend accidentally chained 3 of those gun shots in a row it was the most amazing thing ever.

Oh and the grand finals concluded with a Sentinel reverse OCV.

Azure J

OH. MY. GODDDDD.

Finally saw the ending to that Marn vs. Andre first to 10.
*random gurglespeak* "Sentinel"
indeed. :lol

Grifter

gotta love the "leave everything as is, nothing's too overpowered, in my day..." crowd. they dominate fighter forums and are always glad to spell out their cred and imply that you're a puss.

gotta love the "nerf xxx, lets make it fair" crowd, they dominate forums and are always glad to spell out that casual fans make the money and imply that you're living in the past.

Grifter said:
gotta love the "leave everything as is, nothing's too overpowered, in my day..." crowd. they dominate fighter forums and are always glad to spell out their cred and imply that you're a puss.

God's Beard said:
gotta love the "nerf xxx, lets make it fair" crowd, they dominate forums and are always glad to spell out that casual fans make the money and imply that you're living in the past.
How can they both dominate!? OWMYHEAD

Kimosabae

Banned
Only thing that I disagree with on Beard's behalf is the ignoring of X-Factor. It's cancelling and speed-up elements are cool, but the damage definitely needs a nerfing IMO.

Kimosabae said:
Only thing that I disagree with on Beard's behalf is the ignoring of X-Factor. It's cancelling and speed-up elements are cool, but the damage definitely needs a nerfing IMO.

So what if it does a shit ton of damage? Everybody gets one.

dralla

Xfactor is my biggest problem with the gameplay. it's way too effective, it's called "x-factor" not "god mode". speed and damage boost, health regen and no chip? for 20 seconds?? that is an eternity in marvel. all 3 levels should last 8 seconds. 8 seconds is enough to swing momentum in your favor or land a big combo, or prevent chip death, or whatever you need it for.

but seriously the biggest problem in general is the ass online play. i can play someone who lives 20 minutes away from me and it feels like im playing underwater.

Riposte

God's Beard said:

It simplifies the game because it makes non-xfc stuff matter less.

EDIT: For example looking at andre and marn set, you see a lot of randomness in the form of easy comebacks.

dralla said:
Xfactor is my biggest problem with the gameplay. it's way too effective, it's called "x-factor" not "god mode". speed and damage boost, health regen and no chip? for 20 seconds?? that is an eternity in marvel. all 3 levels should last 8 seconds. 8 seconds is enough to swing momentum in your favor or land a big combo, or prevent chip death, or whatever you need it for.

but seriously the biggest problem in general is the ass online play. i can play someone who lives 20 minutes away from me and it feels like im playing underwater.
looks like someone needs to
167nucy.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
God's Beard said:
It's inconsistent across characters. At least make it uniform.

Though I would like it to be less damage, more speed for ridiculousness across the board.

Ferrio

Banned
Riposte said:
It simplifies the game because it makes non-xfc stuff matter less.

Exactly, it makes someone who works their ass off for their lead just to potentially have it taken away by someone with a single opening and combo.

I don't think Xfactor is a bad thing in concept mind you. If it wasn't for xfactor it would be the opposite way around. Due to assists in this game when it's 1v3, it's might as well be good game. So there should be *something* to offset the lack of assists... just in it's current form it is too powerful.

God's Beard said:

It's not really an argument of balance, it's an argument of it not being fun and lessening the importance of playing well.

Also making comebacks much more occurrent really lessens the awesomeness of when they happen. Big comebacks should be something people work their ass off for... not something that happens off of a single easy mode combo, or random hyper.

kirblar

Another issue with X-Factor balance has to do with how long it takes that X-Factor'd character to kill someone while in it. Part of the problem with Sentinel is that it takes him about .5 seconds to kill someone when boosted, making the X-Factor way better than on a character that has to take far longer to kill you and won't get as much traction out of it.

Ok guys the time has come for my tournament! I am pretty confident going into it and I have a feeling I will come home with a 3DS tonight! :D Thanks to everyone on GAF who has helped me train (Shout outs to SolarPowered and Sloth in particular, <3 you guys!). Wish me luck! :D

If Capcom's doing the whole balance thing I hope they're going for buffs instead of nerfs. This is Marvel. If something is overpowered, don't nerf it, give it to EVERYONE.

Except infinites. Keep that shit in Marvel 2, thanks.

Oh, and playing Phoenix without Dark Phoenix is incredibly stupid, but fun on its own. Sure, you have homing fireballs, tridashes, supers and teleports, but she really fucking sucks as an anchor if you're not going the Dark Phoenix route, and playing her on point blows too. So 2nd character she is.

Magneto/Phoenix/Dante. DHC trick FTW. TK Overdrive as assist is like mini Akuma. Still too risky though.

I like X-Factor. It makes it feel like I'm playing 2 different games at once. Same thing With Dark Phoenix. In Street Fighter, the pace never really changes. It changes constantly in Marvel. When new characters come in, during long, difficult combo strings, when someone triggers x-factor or Dark Phoenix. It's like in MMA, you exchange a few blows, then you get tied up on the floor, then someone escapes and you both try to find an opening again. the pace changes. Street Fighter is like watching Tae Kwon Do at the olympics. They tag each other a couple time, then the ref calls and they walk back to their starting point.

I like games where the rules rapidly change.

And who cares about infinites? The damage is so high anybody can kill with a good combo, and half the infinites take x-factor anyway. And hello, anybody can kill with 5 buttons in x-factor.

God's Beard said:
I like X-Factor. It makes it feel like I'm playing 2 different games at once. Same thing With Dark Phoenix. In Street Fighter, the pace never really changes. It changes constantly in Marvel. When new characters come in, during long, difficult combo strings, when someone triggers x-factor or Dark Phoenix. It's like in MMA, you exchange a few blows, then you get tied up on the floor, then someone escapes and you both try to find an opening again. the pace changes. Street Fighter is like watching Tae Kwon Do at the olympics. They tag each other a couple time, then the ref calls and they walk back to their starting point.

I like games where the rules rapidly change.

And who cares about infinites? The damage is so high anybody can kill with a good combo, and half the infinites take x-factor anyway. And hello, anybody can kill with 5 buttons in x-factor.

I like X-Factor too. The only one that I don't like is X-Factor 3 and I'm pretty sure that's where everyone has problems. It's an interesting idea where it gives you a blockstun cancel, a free "oh crap, I messed up" cancel, no chip dmg, etc etc, but why does X-Factor 3 last so damn long and why does it give you such a big boost in damage/speed? It should be either longer time or bigger damage/speed, not both. That's where I think they messed up.

Solune

dralla said:
X-factor makes it so I have 7 seconds, 7 seconds is all I can spare to play with you.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
NinajHeartless said:
Ok guys the time has come for my tournament! I am pretty confident going into it and I have a feeling I will come home with a 3DS tonight! :D Thanks to everyone on GAF who has helped me train (Shout outs to SolarPowered and Sloth in particular, <3 you guys!). Wish me luck! :D
Good luck homie!

Baww @ no break this week. Itching for another stream with this game.

rivals

NinajHeartless said:

Good luck dude, definitely report back.

DR2K

Banned
Ferrio said:
Exactly, it makes someone who works their ass off for their lead just to potentially have it taken away by someone with a single opening and combo.

There's no such thing as working your ass off for a lead in MVC, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom