• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooove X-factor lvl 3.

You think you can harm me? Bitch don't you know who I am?

n4hqS.jpg

Azure J

God's Beard said:
I LOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooove X-factor lvl 3.

You think you can harm me? Bitch don't you know who I am?

http://i.imgur.com/n4hqS.jpg

I *still* have a frothing desire to create Team "Juggs' gotcha". It requires Juggernaut DLC, Dante as Ketchup the candy selling, hair doing stripper & Phoenix (closest to Jamaican colors we can get in the roster).

Now, if someone came along with some pimp cane action, I'd be further set. :lol

NinajHeartless said:
Ok guys the time has come for my tournament! I am pretty confident going into it and I have a feeling I will come home with a 3DS tonight! :D Thanks to everyone on GAF who has helped me train (Shout outs to SolarPowered and Sloth in particular, <3 you guys!). Wish me luck! :D
Your next post better be a pic of a shiny new 3DS.

:)

DR2K

Banned
Ferrio said:
Relatively speaking.

All you really need to do is watch how most MVC2 matches went to understand why XFC is the way it is. Matches were mostly one sided, coming back was nigh impossible, character balance was totally messed up, and matches went on forever. XFC helps alleviate these things considerably; it can shorten a match, allow for a comeback, makes all characters lethal, etc. . .

It wont be nerfed, it does not need to be nerfed, and it's a great tool with tons of depth and utility.

DR2K said:
All you really need to do is watch how most MVC2 matches went to understand why XFC is the way it is. Matches were mostly one sided, coming back was nigh impossible, character balance was totally messed up, and matches went on forever. XFC helps alleviate these things considerably; it can shorten a match, allow for a comeback, makes all characters lethal, etc. . .

It wont be nerfed, it does not need to be nerfed, and it's a great tool with tons of depth and utility.

nerfing x-factor does not mean taking it away entirely. It's not black and white like that. comebacks in games should have an uphill factor to them or else you're just playing a fighting game version of mario kart.

and it being multipurpose does not mean it has tons of depth. it's pretty simple, actually.

DR2K

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
nerfing x-factor does not mean taking it away entirely. It's not black and white like that. comebacks in games should have an uphill factor to them or else you're just playing a fighting game version of mario kart.

and it being multipurpose does not mean it has tons of depth. it's pretty simple, actually.

It is an uphill battle regardless. Do you just let go of the controller and stare at the pretty red glow? So many ways around XFC. You can run away, learn to block, use your XFC for defensive or offensive properties, keep them locked in via DHC/assists, etc. . .

I can use Xfactor to save my character from chip, make my unsafe move safe, combine moves that can not normally be combined, power up my character for more options, etc. . . how on Earth does this not allow for more options?

Kimosabae

Banned
Everyone seems embedded regarding this issue for some reason. Regardless, my main problem with X-Factor's massive damage increase is that it puts the player with momentum at a definitive disadvantage, I think. If you have 2/3 characters and your opponent has an one X-Factored character, your opponent's damage potential outstrips all 3 of your characters combined for 30 seconds. That's a long fucking time and it doesn't take 10 seconds to kill a character when X-Factored.

This is a fighting game, where mixups and momentum win the day. X-Factor almost literally hands your opponent the latter. X-Factoring in response to that momentum shift still leaves you neutered if you're up characters and leaves you open to get mixed up if you wait until your final character to activate it - assuming you still have it. Remember, your new character comes in from the sky, and can't X-Factor until he/she hits the ground. The reserve-character-entry-system (best thing I could think to call it, lol) was designed clearly to leave new-entering characters open for mixups.

I'm not saying X-Factor lvl 3 is unbeatable or "broken", but I like my chances a little too much when down two characters and activating lvl 3. I'd rather see X-Factor foster uneven distribution of ingenuity through its speed increases and cancel capacities over brute damage - all combined, at any level of skill, XF lvl 3 rewards panicky displays way too often where a random hit can easily lead to: Magic Series -> Launch -> to Dead Character -> to Mixup -> repeat.

In competition, comebacks are more rewarding when players are forced to search within themselves for the means to climb uphill - the less means given to them from outside forces - the more rewarding the finish on top. X-Factor's damage bonus is the ski-lift that deprives you of any sense of accomplishment and any third-party witness' expression of admiration.

enzo_gt said:
1) Choose Ammy
2) Dash
3) Standing C
4) Forward C
5) Go to number 4.

I think I just need to use a lamer team. I can do all the harder combos and cancels, and I have a good understanding of frame data, and I even know a lot of good mixups, but I lose control so easily playing rushdown characters. With the exception of Wesker and Thor, I can't seem to do anything but go random and hope for the best. I don't have a good grasp of moving my guy into position, like how Clockwork tridashes around beams.

However, I do a lot better keeping people locked down, even if i can't use a lot of the techniques I like to think about.

I think for about the fifth time, I'm going to have to look at reality and play a team that doesn't just work correctly and have a lot of juice, but also fit my play style. I was doing alright with Arthur/Dormammu/Morrigan, but I don't like relying on gold arthur and Morrigan can become a liability. It's a team that asks to get hit.

I... I think I'm going to swap to Thor/Sentinel/Dormammu.

QisTopTier said:
D: I was afk, if you are still around we can play.

Sure, let me turn my ps3 back on.

Threi

notag
yeah i can't say I mind xfc too much, even admitting that i've been killed by 1 char ocving my team with it (lolz easy-mode taskmaster) but hey what can you do.

personally from what i've experienced the people who are most desperate for changes are those who want their gimmicks to overpower other gimmicks as if their gimmicks aren't gimmicks too.

Ammy, Zero, Taskmaster, Wesker, Sentinel/Hulk easymode damage, Akuma/Tron bailout assists, Morrigan, Wolverine/X23 button mashing, Phoenix/Dark Bitch, Deadpool/Trish runaway, Chun-Li legs spam, Bionic Arm, Hidden Missles, Golden Hsien-Ko, Lariat assist, She-Hulk resets...its all cheap shit.

in the end every single fucking one of you abuses cheap shit in this game. If someone managed to cheese you out with cheaper shit than you managed to cheese them with, well then tough luck. Hold the L.

shaowebb

God's Beard said:
I like X-Factor. It makes it feel like I'm playing 2 different games at once. Same thing With Dark Phoenix. In Street Fighter, the pace never really changes. It changes constantly in Marvel. When new characters come in, during long, difficult combo strings, when someone triggers x-factor or Dark Phoenix. It's like in MMA, you exchange a few blows, then you get tied up on the floor, then someone escapes and you both try to find an opening again. the pace changes. Street Fighter is like watching Tae Kwon Do at the olympics. They tag each other a couple time, then the ref calls and they walk back to their starting point.

I like games where the rules rapidly change.

And who cares about infinites? The damage is so high anybody can kill with a good combo, and half the infinites take x-factor anyway. And hello, anybody can kill with 5 buttons in x-factor.

2ari9y.jpg

The man sums it up so purely. It ain't broke like you guys are trying to make it seem. It takes skill and timing to pull off anything in this game and even with infinites, someone who spams a setup for one is likely to get ate (case in point Cap's shield).

For the record I don't like getting caught in infinites, but most aren't doable easily and the bulk of them are ONLY possible during X-factor so it's kind of something you may never even have a chance to use with that character anyways. Retard simple ones like tatsu akuma no meter no x-factor had to go, and I can see Cap shield being tossed, but for the most part a lot of these infinites are not really things you will ever see during a heated battle easily.

Comeback allows for never ending excitement and it never feels unfair when YOU use it. The fact is I am bored to tears with playing poke poke in SSFIV and Marvel is like going from watching arm wrestling to watching Jackie Chan vs Tony Jaa in a 30 minute choreographed fight.

The game is edge of your seat and the match is NEVER over no matter what thanks to X-factor. I now enjoy Sentinel Nerf because his glass cannon nature seems to provoke a more controlled air style out of players and make this fragile beast style on people more than spam on people.

Everyone can god tier, no one is shit tier, and everything has a billion ways to deal with it because the game has so many options in it.

In other words, if you're losing to the same things maybe you should learn to play something other than rush down when an X-factor activates from an opponent and maybe you should learn how to move around more than just sling attacks into the furnace. Triangle jumps, dashing, teleports, ziplines, swinging, sliding, and superjumps are everywhere in this game.

If you don't want to lose, learn how to avoid being hit and how to punish hits you block/advance guard, because in a 99 second match with 6 lifebars you have got to expect to see a lot of insane damage coming out of combos or every match would end in a lameout and most of your nerfs would create just such a scenario.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
shaowebb said:
The man sums it up so purely. It ain't broke like you guys are trying to make it seem. It takes skill and timing to pull off anything in this game and even with infinites, someone who spams a setup for one is likely to get ate (case in point Cap's shield).

Comeback allows for never ending excitement and it never feels unfair when YOU use it. The fact is I am bored to tears with playing poke poke in SSFIV and Marvel is like going from watching arm wrestling to watching Jackie Chan vs Tony Jaa in a 30 minute choreographed fight.

The game is edge of your seat and the match is NEVER over no matter what thanks to X-factor. I now enjoy Sentinel Nerf because his glass cannon nature seems to provoke a more controlled air style out of players and make this fragile beast style on people more than spam on people.

Everyone can god tier, no one is shit tier, and everything has a billion ways to deal with it because the game has so many options in it.

In other words, if you're losing to the same things maybe you should learn to play something other than rush down when an X-factor activates from an opponent and maybe you should learn how to move around more than just sling attacks into the furnace. Triangle jumps, dashing, teleports, ziplines, swinging, sliding, and superjumps are everywhere in this game.

If you don't want to lose, learn how to avoid being hit and how to punish hits you block/advance guard, because in a 99 second match with 6 lifebars you have got to expect to see a lot of insane damage coming out of combos or every match would end in a lameout and most of your nerfs would create just such a scenario.
I agree with this and the aforementioned. I can understand love for some straight up SF, but really, this is what I like.

When people inquire about the game to me, and ask who is top tier and who is underpowered and who is overpowered, there's a certain excitement in saying "everyone is overpowered, life is good." Life is good. I honestly think it's the most entertaining fighter to watch, and has long surpassed MvC2 in excellence outright.

Kimosabae

Banned
Honestly, if it were up to me, we'd all be playing Accent Core and Melee. AC is the perfect marriage of the two styles and Melee is just iiilllll.

shaowebb

enzo_gt said:
I agree with this and the aforementioned. I can understand love for some straight up SF, but really, this is what I like.

When people inquire about the game to me, and ask who is top tier and who is underpowered and who is overpowered, there's a certain excitement in saying "everyone is overpowered, life is good." Life is good. I honestly think it's the most entertaining fighter to watch, and has long surpassed MvC2 in excellence outright.

Agreed.

I think Top Tier lists in this game should only be made on a personal level. Like how your gamer card does it. That's why I like checking licenses. You can see who someone else's top tier are.

Mine is pretty fun for me same as yours is likely different and equally as fun and useful to you.

My "current" Top Tier:

Wolverine
Spiderman
Taskmaster
Ryu
Deadpool
She-Hulk

My "current" Bottom Tier:
Hsien Ko
Thor

And those last two I just put in some practice on today and can easily see swinging all the way to the opposite side in a week. Especially Thor as I practice his moves and learn there ranges more ( some are suprising!)

You see...it's just that relative in this game. There is no true top or bottom tier. Everyone could potentially turn into your most useful tool in the span of just a few tricks that open them up as a character to you.

Next week or sooner my lists will likely change again as I play more and more. Stuff is perma-hype and it stays exciting no matter what because anyone in the cast could be your ticket to comeback or to some new setup that beasts for you.

Im loving it, and if you're not then you're probably just tired of how much faster this game moves compared to other fighters. If you want a cerebral slower match than what you can get in MVC3 play SSFIV otherwise stop complaining when you lose or win too fast because something works the way it was meant to.

Xfactor lvl three is way too strong. Some people just need to admit that. Every level under it works pretty well though.
shaowebb said:

For the record I don't like getting caught in infinites, but most aren't doable easily and the bulk of them are ONLY possible during X-factor so it's kind of something you may never even have a chance to use with that character anyways. Retard simple ones like tatsu akuma no meter no x-factor had to go, and I can see Cap shield being tossed, but for the most part a lot of these infinites are not really things you will ever see during a heated battle easily.

I'm down with everything except the part in bold. Teach me how to be God tier with Hsien-Ko and I'll be your goddamn slave.
Kimosabae said:
Honestly, if it were up to me, we'd all be playing Accent Core and Melee. AC is the perfect marriage of the two styles and Melee is just iiilllll.
This is awesome. You are awesome.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kimosabae said:
Speaking of this.. anyone else notice Melee/Brawl players make the transition to MvC3 much easier than SF players? All of my Melee-focused friends who go into MvC3 immediately start wrecking shit. Perhaps it's the ability to understand space control more vertically as well that SF players aren't as easily attuned to?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
enzo_gt said:
Speaking of this.. anyone else notice Melee/Brawl players make the transition to MvC3 much easier than SF players? All of my Melee-focused friends who go into MvC3 immediately start wrecking shit. Perhaps it's the ability to understand space control more vertically as well that SF players aren't as easily attuned to?
It's cause melee is fast as fuck, and sf is slow as fuck. Guess which guys are used to the game speed? ;P

enzo_gt said:
Not to mention dealing with multiple characters at the same time. Us melee players have gotten used to fighting in the middle of a goddamn warzone full of pokeballs, clapping apes, wavedashing Italians and bomb crazy elves.

That has got to do something for the twitch reflexes in a game chocked full of assists like this one.

Wallach

QisTopTier said:
It's cause melee is fast as fuck, and sf is slow as fuck. Guess which guys are used to the game speed? ;P

Pretty much this. Learning to control (and counter) extremely fast movement is rewarded greatly in both games.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
enzo_gt said:

It's funny, I love 3rd Strike to death, but find SSFIV a bit staid now. I only really enjoy playing as Juri anymore. Don't care much for the other new characters and the rest of the cast is too SF2 / Alpha heavy for me, and I'd rather play Super Turbo than pick up Guile or Ryu in SSFIV. On the other hand I wasn't crazy at all about Marvel 2, but fucking love Marvel 3 lawl. I guess I'm just weird.

Also:

Yeah. Agreed 100%.

Solune said:
Careful guys, you're going to attract all the "lulz Smash isn't a real fighting game" crowd any second now.
It feels kinda nice to see Smash being talked about in such a positive manner. I just don't get the hate for such a fun and engaging fighting game.

Threi

notag
SSB is the concept of footsies taken to the extreme. Positioning in SSB is far more important than any other fighter, but damage conversion via combo execution is something it lacks.

Despite what people say it can build a solid foundation for fighting game mechanics, and also a lot of good fighting game players originated from Smash.

Solune said:
Careful guys, you're going to attract all the "lulz Smash isn't a real fighting game" crowd any second now.
I would like to think that we have already established on GAF that people who bash that game rarely have a logical reason to do so, and usually have some overlap with the type of crowd that bashes anything that isn't SF4. Basically idiot stream monsters, and I hope that GAF (in this instance at least) is smarter than that.

Kimosabae

Banned
Assuming there's any credence to the observation, I think it's the freedom of movement Marvel allows more than speed, purely. I haven't truly dedicated myself to this game yet, but comparing myself to others - I focus on movement way more. I was plink dashing day one, and obsessing over backwards wavedashes and tri-dash patterns to explore every movement option I have. Dante's Box Dash -> aerial: the aerial is a means of Fast Fall for me.

Too bad I'm still in the growing pains of stick adoption.

*edit*

If this game adopted a Fast Fall mechanic it would be godly.

Solune

Threi said:
SSB is the concept of footsies taken to the extreme. Positioning in SSB is far more important than any other fighter, but damage conversion via combo execution is something it lacks.
Despite what people say it can build a solid foundation for fighting game mechanics, and also a lot of good fighting game players originated from Smash.
This is what irritates me with the transition from Melee to Brawl the most.
I would like to think that we have already established on GAF that people who bash that game rarely have a logical reason to do so, and usually have some overlap with the type of crowd that bashes anything that isn't SF4. Basically idiot stream monsters, and I hope that GAF (in this instance at least) is smarter than that.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20265926

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Those all seem like really logical reasons why people make the transition so well.

Man, really what stands out to me in Marvel, now that we're in a fun loving mood in this thread, is the creativity and options. Literally, in the vast majority of situations, you have soooooooo many options at your disposal, between assists, super jumps, tri-dashing and so many more mechanics that all keep everything unexpected. And from there, into my second point, can combine into an endless amount of different kind of combos, that can end in different was or take so many different routes. Seth really wasn't messing around when he said that this is the ultimate fighting game sandbox.

I kinda want to see Seth or some of the testers get behind the controller and just bring us some godlike alien technology to marvel at.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
I think my problem is that I have no experience playing people.

*jumps and air grabs you 10 times*

Play more though, knowing combos should honestly come last, battle experience and knowing how to block shit gets you way more wins.

QisTopTier said:
*jumps and air grabs you 10 times*

I wanted to make sure the startup was throw vulnerable, cause the guide just says invincible. that's why I kept air dashing, seeing if I could get out of the way. Nope. Also, the last time I fought you was the last time I fought another person, so yeah.

I kept trying to block, but I kept getting hit on the way in even though I'd hold back :-(

shaowebb

SolarPowered said:
I'm down with everything except the part in bold. Teach me how to be God tier with Hsien-Ko and I'll be your goddamn slave.
Her stuff is pretty good and she can start combos from a variety of positions and keep them going from a lot of peculiar ranges too. She usually requires at least 1 meter but in marvel that's not so big of a deal to achieve. A lot of these show off how boss she is with 2 meters and I'm practicing them because there are options with her character to force people out and build meter with her.
If she ever gets up to 3 meters its pretty damned ridiculous how much she can do. She pairs well with cast that either dash in or protect like tron, or chun or someone who will just pop up and hit someone for a few to extend her combo so she can reset herself to keep it going.
Give her a high pressure assist to help her set up these or time your jump ins and you can hit them surprisingly easy in a lot of real game scenarios.

For the sake of keeping your options open these vids show just how scary she can be without having to use certain assists to extend her combos. I threw one in that does show off what I meant by my assist advice since it showed her use both cap and chun to extend one combo pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYk6CtOoW7w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24HChYxGhbE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWOc7a_lQao&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x_-j-Nfkso&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUEubybsLIs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5uxlPCHfM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxeEIbQovuA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5taAa2CDXM&feature=related

Also
http://shoryuken.com/f365/hsien-ko-combo-thread-267240/
http://shoryuken.com/f365/got-enough-up-yours-hsien-ko-frame-data-266191/
http://shoryuken.com/f365/i-see-dead-people-hsien-ko-video-thread-268547/

My combos don't matter because I never hit you with anything i practiced. I just revert to random once the match starts. I just can't get the feel of movement right, just feels so awkward. I'm too used to playing jojo.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LeMaximilian said:
After 16 hours of shooting, $600 worth of rental equipment and costumes, a blown out 300Watt spotlight, fried wall circuit in my bathroom, and a completely roasted motherboard from the light blowing up...my latest episode of 'Marvel vs Capcom 3: The Online Warrior' is done.

I don't think the term 'art through adversity' could be used any harder. I'm putting my all into this one guys. Hopefully will be ready by the end of the week.
I was checking today and got all excited when I saw ep 3, then realized I had already watched it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
My combos don't matter because I never hit you with anything i practiced. I just revert to random once the match starts. I just can't get the feel of movement right, just feels so awkward. I'm too used to playing jojo.
Just keep playing, I rarely sit in training mode outside trying to get a combo down even then lag online makes me not even want to bother with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom