• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Mister Wilhelm said:
There is no way Chris belongs towards the bottom of a tier list.

He can break 500k damage WITHOUT hyper meter from anywhere on the screen and can kill 90% of the cast in the corner in one combo.
What you said describes just about every character in the game.

Chris is solid but needs assists to get his game up. He has no mobility in the air and his ground mobility is average at best. He is entirely a zoning character and for that he has nice projectiles but not that great hypers to hit confirm with which is like key for a zoning character like Chris. No real damage off of throws either without assists.

His pros include very high chip damage game, damaging BnBs which if linked into a LVL3 will usually kill a character and decent meter building game. His assists are good, the mines are good and the machine gun shot is also decent. His Magnum is good too, so is his flamethrower. Above average health too. He doesn't have mix ups or ways to cross up or ways to open up a player with a good defense, his best method of offense is to keep the player away from him and dish out the long range damage.

Again, all of this describes a Mid tier character. He is almost exactly like Ryu, but with better projectiles and worse hypers. In this game, solid = mid tier. You have to remember, this is a MARVEL tier list. Don't got a teleport, 8 way air dash, 40+ moves, broken ass hit boxes, loops, touch of death, flight combos, traps, godlike XFC bonuses, high priority assist or full screen safe hypers? You ain't close to being TOP.

Ferrio said:
Q runs him with Haggar and Sent.

Sent assist + Arthur projectiles are a pain, then when you get in lariet... ughh
So does Floe, seen him wreck shit with that team.

In fact I used that team too early in the game's life but dropped Arthur cuz he's too lame. I did keep the Haggar + Sent combination and still am trying to find a 3rd for it. Probably Dante because Sentinel with that Commando assist is good MVC2 shit.

def sim

Mister Wilhelm said:

He can break 500k damage WITHOUT hyper meter from anywhere on the screen and can kill 90% of the cast in the corner in one combo.

The amount of damage a character can do by him or herself doesn't count much towards their tier placing. Sure he can do damage but how will he open someone up with his limited offense? Dude isn't tridash high low mix up city or anything.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So much salt in that latest Marvelous Adventures hahaa. Been really feeling the urge to pick up Thor, just cause that reset is so godlike.

kitzkozan

Good to see the love fest toward MvC3 on GAF, as even on SRK there is far less bashing on the game versus SFIV. So the conclusion is that it's a good game that is going to see plenty of tournament play for the next five years at least? :)

Make me curious as to how Capcom is going to approach Street fighter V now that plenty of newer gamers prefer the gameplay and the pace versus SF.

Dahbomb

kitzkozan said:
Good to see the love fest toward MvC3 on GAF, as even on SRK there is far less bashing on the game versus SFIV. So the conclusion is that it's a good game that is going to see plenty of tournament play for the next five years at least? :)

Make me curious as to how Capcom is going to approach Street fighter V now that plenty of newer gamers prefer the gameplay and the pace versus SF.
Why would you bash Marvel? Game itself is almost GODLY it's the feature set on the disc that is lacking. Already discussed that to death but stuff like features is fixable if Capcom wants to do that. Most people will jump back on the MVC3 hype train when Capcom announces Spectator/Replay mode DLC.

I don't know about next 5 years, I feel like the game is going to change quite a bit in the following year. DLCs and stuff mostly. Game has mad potential for sure and right now I am digging it far more than MVC2, which I dug a lot.

I respect SF4 a lot and I hope they keep SFV similar in terms of core mechanics. SSF4 is fighting game par excellence in terms of refinement, feature set, solidity of the core game play and roster. I am expecting the same for SFV. No need to go over the top, faster paced or any of that. When I want technical, I will play SF... when I want OVER THE TOP ACTION IN MY FACE AWESOME I will play MVC3 (and SMVC3 whatever Capcom releases).

shaowebb

SolarPowered said:
You've been thinking more about matchups and team synergy than everyone here put together in the last five pages or so.

Maybe you should just play and play and play until it clicks. Throw an invite my way if you ever want to fight someone you actually have a chance of beating if you like.

I just checked out these vids and I was underwhelmed by the early ones. The last ones are beautiful though. Not a single person has mentioned that positive aspect to her teleporting dash. It takes all the work out of trying to keep your opponent in the middle and lets you work your pressure. I was also impressed by the use of x-factor and her Chiretou as well. There were a lot of clever ideas being applied. Thursday is going to be a busy lab day for me now that I've got all of this stuff to sink my teeth into.

Thanks

Edit: It's kind of silly, but I was watching the videos while listening to this song and it sounds like it could be an awesome orchestral theme for Hsien-Ko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GUvmiGiHdQ

Glad that helped your Hsien Ko. I didn't know what level you were starting at so I just threw a little of everything at you with that big post of combos. And yeah that teleport dash is actually really handy for her. Keeps her a threat in a lot of ways.

Good luck buddy.

BTW I go by Dynasty Penguin on 360 and I would love to matchup with some GAFers. Whats everyone's tag? God's Beard I hope you're playing 360 so we can hook up on some matches sometime. If so I'll set a private lobby up and we can practice stuff that's bugging your team. It's not the same as me being local but at least we can have you experiment versus tactics for awhile and get you used to your problem matchups and how to approach them.

Solune

Mister Wilhelm said:

Indeed, there's no way Chris is worse than RYU LOL. I wreck shit with Chris all day everyday.

Dahbomb

No one is saying he's worse than Ryu. And you can wreck shit with any character in the game. That's why they are both Mid tier and not Low tier.

def sim

Dahbomb said:
Wesker the new Sentinel according to Mike Ross.

Expect 200K health nerf in 2 weeks. LOL

A lot of people have been complaining about Wesker for a while now. I joke about him being the next to be nerfed and all, but a part of me feels like it's going to really happen. :(

Dahbomb

Wesker complaints are a bit more valid than Sentinel. But still I am not for balancing this early in the game's life cycle.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you nerf Wesker, then you have to nerf Thor next, and then you have this domino effect of depowering that will cascade throughout the rest of the cast.

Dahbomb

Which is exactly why you shouldn't be nerfing characters. Though Thor wouldn't get nerfed next, probably be Phoenix, Amaterasu, Magneto or Dante.

No balance changes until at least EVO. After that if they wanna change anything, buff the other characters so that everyone is Top tier. This is Marvel bitches, I want overpowered stuff only.

That last match on Marvelous Adventures was hype as fuck. That Shuma player totally deserved the win, he almost came back against 3 characters without X Factor.

Neki

mike ross proves why I think gamma crush is the best hyper ever, so satisfying when you land it. too bad the double crush glitch isn't in mvc3. :D

Dahbomb

Ultimoo said:
mike ross proves why I think gamma crush is the best hyper ever, so satisfying when you land it. too bad the double crush glitch isn't in mvc3. :D
Shuma Gorath just has the momentum by killing off 2 characters and lands that hit for the Chaos Dimension form. He only needs to touch Hulk (block or otherwise) for the Chaos Dimension finisher. Mike Ross goes ballistic and tries to chip him to death. First Crush misses, second catches the greedy bastard in the chin and Mike wins claiming "I AM TEH BEST!!!!!". Classic Marvelous Adventures moment there.

If they nerf "America's Favorite Combo" I am done with this game. Seriously.

Most of my wins are with Wesker in this game. Him, Akuma and Storm. Don't hate.

Neki

Dahbomb said:
Shuma Gorath just has the momentum by killing off 2 characters and lands that hit for the Chaos Dimension form. He only needs to touch Hulk (block or otherwise) for the Chaos Dimension finisher. Mike Ross goes ballistic and tries to chip him to death. First Crush misses, second catches the greedy bastard in the chin and Mike wins claiming "I AM TEH BEST!!!!!". Classic Marvelous Adventures moment there.

If they nerf "America's Favorite Combo" I am done with this game. Seriously.

Almost as good as the Marn magic pixel Sentinel comeback, godlike.

Solune

Dahbomb said:
No one is saying he's worse than Ryu. And you can wreck shit with any character in the game. That's why they are both Mid tier and not Low tier.
Your list directly corresponds the best to the worst in descending order, which indicates Chris as lower than Ryu.
I'll just repsond to your post regarding Chris.
Chris is solid but needs assists to get his game up. He has no mobility in the air and his ground mobility is average at best. He is entirely a zoning character and for that he has nice projectiles but not that great hypers to hit confirm with which is like key for a zoning character like Chris. No real damage off of throws either without assists.
You don't need supers to hit confirm from long range to make a good zoning character. See Magneto, Arthur (Arthur does have hitconfirmable supers, but aren't required),MODOK etc. Moving on. And as long as it's a back throw, Chris can do a BnB off throw. You are definitely right about mobility though
His pros include very high chip damage game, damaging BnBs which if linked into a LVL3 will usually kill a character and decent meter building game. His assists are good, the mines are good and the machine gun shot is also decent. His Magnum is good too, so is his flamethrower. Above average health too. He doesn't have mix ups or ways to cross up or ways to open up a player with a good defense, his best method of offense is to keep the player away from him and dish out the long range damage.
This is all correct.
Again, all of this describes a Mid tier character. He is almost exactly like Ryu, but with better projectiles and worse hypers. In this game, solid = mid tier. You have to remember, this is a MARVEL tier list.
Again I agree.

def sim

To nerf that combo, they have to weaken either his X-Factor or his level 3 hyper. It's probably going to be the former and that's whatevs if it does happen.

Shit will still be one hit kill, no way they're going to take away an x-factor kill combo from him when everyone already has one.

Neki

honestly everyone would be so much happier with nerfed level 3 XF. I'm so much more angry when I lose XF3 than when I win with it.

Dahbomb

Solune said:
Your list directly corresponds the best to the worst in descending order, which indicates Chris as lower than Ryu.
Oh NO it doesn't. The characters are in no particular order within the tier list. Like it's top 12 (there is no ranking within that top 12), then next 12 and then next 12.

So even though someone like Dante might be ahead of C.Viper in the list, it doesn't mean Dante is better than C.Viper or vice versa. But they are both in Top meaning they are SLIGHTLY better than someone like Dr Doom who is in the next tier (again, emphasis on the slightly as someone like Doom is still extremely valuable on a team because of his mobility, zoning, meter building and godly assist package).

Sorry for the confusion. Making an exact list like that would be next to impossible but tiering characters in 3 category is much easier.

People need to realize that the difference between tiers is almost paper thin in this game. Like the top half of High tier can easily be in Top tier (She Hulk/Dormammu for example) and the top half of Mid tier can easily be in High tier. The only difference is between TOP 5 and BOTTOM 5, everything in between (which is almost 30 characters) is real messy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ferrio said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkNC0MAhHsU

Awesome

Anyone got a good video that shows shehulk's win pose that doesn't cut out? Thinking about making a new avatar.
That's pretty awesome. I love the soundtrack and the character dialogue in this game. If it's not awesome, it's awesomely bad.

CapAm: YOUR NAME ZERO? HOPE YOU DON'T FIGHT LIKE ONE.

Ryu: .........................FIGHT!

Karsticles said:
Well, outside of one or two situations, the game has no infinites, and I have never been caught by one in my ~1600 matches. MvC3 is about getting that first hit in - think of it as high stakes fighting.

Also, FYI, 9th Lord is just a step above Fighter. It's not a high rank at all. 1st Lords are high.

not real infinites, but you know, one hit = 70% of your health gone stuff. You come out of that phased, so they get the next hit and you're dead. I'm finding ways around this though. When I play guys who do this in player matches, I always do much better on the runback.

I'm confident I'll level up though, so I'm not salty about the way game is played :)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Oh NO it doesn't. The characters are in no particular order within the tier list. Like it's top 12 (there is no ranking within that top 12), then next 12 and then next 12.

So even though someone like Dante might be ahead of C.Viper in the list, it doesn't mean Dante is better than C.Viper or vice versa. But they are both in Top meaning they are SLIGHTLY better than someone like Dr Doom who is in the next tier (again, emphasis on the slightly as someone like Doom is still extremely valuable on a team because of his mobility, zoning, meter building and godly assist package).

Sorry for the confusion. Making an exact list like that would be next to impossible but tiering characters in 3 category is much easier.

People need to realize that the difference between tiers is almost paper thin in this game. Like the top half of High tier can easily be in Top tier (She Hulk/Dormammu for example) and the top half of Mid tier can easily be in High tier. The only difference is between TOP 5 and BOTTOM 5, everything in between (which is almost 30 characters) is real messy.
I dislike the notion that we *have* to have finite tiers to assess superiority and inferiority of characters as a whole, especially in a game where synergy means more than individual characters.

"Wesker is better than She-Hulk." What does this tell you? In a 1v1 without assists, he would be the victor? How is this relevant? She-Hulk with Gustaff can wipe the faces of many characters off of the earth. Why must we assess something in terms of absolute better as a whole instead of actual elements that matter such as zoning, creating frametraps, dealing with mixups, resets, etc.

It all seems so.. irrelevant when tiers are "God-tier" and "Demi-god-tier." I remember pre-release Dahbomb made this list of why every character is awesome and deadly in the game, and that's still my mentality with this. I fucking love everyone in the cast. Except Ammy. She can eat a dick with those easy hit confirms. /salt.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Arthur with assist = Trolololololo DO YOU HATE ME tier
Arthur with no assist = Turtle all day and go for air throws tier

It's tempting to use Deadpool so Arthur can combo off his stupid air throws (Seems like Arthur's gauntlets got magnetized by Magneto or something) but in the end it's not really worth it

Masamuna

My current team of Mag(a)/dante(a)/task(a) has been working wonders but now i've got the urge to experiment.

I want to do something like joe(a)/dante(b)/morrigan(harmonizer). The overall gameplan is to ensure i have a huge meter pull with joe in order to pull off god hand and snapbacks. Dante's crystal allows me to pull use god hand without sacrificing full damage from joes combos. Then of course if all else fails morrigan as anchor for lulz. The question is, how much will it hurt that I don't have an assist that doesnt cover joe's offense? I understand joe has pretty solid mobility but will it be enough?

Oh, and would harmonizer be worth it for this scenario?

def sim

One button dog should be nerfed into three button dog, for real. At least make them work those fingers when doing long, simple combos that they never finish right. (not a real suggestion)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
rance said:
One button dog should be nerfed into three button dog, for real. At least make them work those fingers when doing long, simple combos that they never finish right. (not a real suggestion)
That's how it is in okami though, just kept her true to her game :p

Dahbomb

enzo_gt said:
I dislike the notion that we *have* to have finite tiers to assess superiority and inferiority of characters as a whole, especially in a game where synergy means more than individual characters.

"Wesker is better than She-Hulk." What does this tell you? In a 1v1 without assists, he would be the victor? How is this relevant? She-Hulk with Gustaff can wipe the faces of many characters off of the earth. Why must we assess something in terms of absolute better as a whole instead of actual elements that matter such as zoning, creating frametraps, dealing with mixups, resets, etc.

It all seems so.. irrelevant when tiers are "God-tier" and "Demi-god-tier." I remember pre-release Dahbomb made this list of why every character is awesome and deadly in the game, and that's still my mentality with this. I fucking love everyone in the cast. Except Ammy. She can eat a dick with those easy hit confirms. /salt.
Everyone is still awesome and everyone has their niche. You are right in saying that this is a team game and synergy means more than strength of individual characters. It's why characters like She Hulk, Taskmaster, Spencer are now respected as legit characters when before they were laughed at and everyone picked Sentinel. Team synergy > Tier list.

Still some stuff is definable in the game and some stuff is objectively better than other stuff. Like Gustaff Flame is good, Wesker Low shot is the best low hitting OTG assist in the game, teleports cause problems and among other stuff. When stuff like this gets solidified we start coming up with match ups and what not.

On the topic of why Wesker is Top tier and She Hulk isn't, it's quite simple. Wesker can runaway more efficiently and if he has to he can easily play down the order. She Hulk is point character class mainly, she needs to be backed up by assist. She Hulk with Gustaff is a monster but so is everyone on that Top tier list if backed up by that same assist, including Wesker who is deadlier with stuff that takes up the screen like any beam assist or zoning assist. She Hulk without assists isn't much of a threat, Wesker still is and at LVL3 he remains one of the biggest threats to the team. Coupled to the fact that he has a very fast low hitting OTG move, She Hulk's comes out later than Wesker's. If it ever came out to Wesker vs She Hulk 1 on 1, She Hulk would be at a huge disadvantage because Wesker can just shoot teleport/run away all day from her.

Now if it was Wesker vs She Hulk backed up by 2 assists each starting off the match, who the hell knows who would win. She Hulk would be able to pressurize Wesker, get in his comfort zone and there she has the edge because of the huge range on her crouching normals which she can hit confirm into crazy damage. Conversely, Wesker might have a beam assist to zone around with and he can use that to hit confirm from mid screen into a big combo.

P.S. She Hulk was on the borderline too along with Dormammu, Wolverine, Taskmaster and C Viper. It was very hard to come up with a Top 12 but I can defend it at the very least.

Ferrio

Banned
QisTopTier said:
That's how it is in okami though, just kept her true to her game :p

In that case a match should an hour, then when you think you're about to win your opponent gets all their teammates back.

enzo_gt said:
Ryu: .........................FIGHT!

I'm curious how they managed to give Ryu less of a personality, quite a feat. His vs spiderman quote is pretty damn lame too.

USD

Ferrio said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkNC0MAhHsU

Awesome

Anyone got a good video that shows shehulk's win pose that doesn't cut out? Thinking about making a new avatar.
Made this a while back (never posted it though):

she-hulkwin7up1.gif

Pretty sure I got it from here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl1mpTVg4aQ

enzo_gt said:

This game is really hard to do a tier list just because of that reason. It's basically gonna come down to a tier list based on teams just like in MvC2 but it's going to be harder to balance since the whole cast is viable instead of just... 6-10 or so from MvC2.

Dahbomb

Masamuna said:
My current team of Mag(a)/dante(a)/task(a) has been working wonders but now i've got the urge to experiment.

I want to do something like joe(a)/dante(b)/morrigan(harmonizer). The overall gameplan is to ensure i have a huge meter pull with joe in order to pull off god hand and snapbacks. Dante's crystal allows me to pull use god hand without sacrificing full damage from joes combos. Then of course if all else fails morrigan as anchor for lulz. The question is, how much will it hurt that I don't have an assist that doesnt cover joe's offense? I understand joe has pretty solid mobility but will it be enough?

Oh, and would harmonizer be worth it for this scenario?
I don't get it, you want to slow their entire team?

See here's what I don't get about VJ. Why would you waste two meters to slow and snap back a character when you can easily KILL that character with those 2 meters? It doesn't make much sense to me.

That's not to say VJ is bad, he has potential with that slow because it can lead to some REALLY SICK combos on that character but I don't understand why you have to snap him out. Basically the way I see that VJ is supposed to be played is: Get a combo in, do Mach Speed, air combo, OTG (see you need an OTG assist for VJ) and then V God Hand as finisher. Now that person is crippled and has taken some decent damage as well. If they switch out, they are fucked. They will just have to sit there and take it which allows them to fall into another combo easier and this time that combo will be deadlier because of the slow.

Prototype-03 said:
This game is really hard to do a tier list just because of that reason. It's basically gonna come down to a tier list based on teams just like in MvC2 but it's going to be harder to balance since the whole cast is viable instead of just... 6-10 or so from MvC2.
MVC2 had a very definitive tier list but again that was because very few characters were viable and there were only a finite amount of teams you could make among those characters. In MVC3 the viable character pool is 3 times larger and thus the team ratio is also much higher. We are years away from tiering this game based on teams.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Everyone is still awesome and everyone has their niche. You are right in saying that this is a team game and synergy means more than strength of individual characters. It's why characters like She Hulk, Taskmaster, Spencer are now respected as legit characters when before they were laughed at and everyone picked Sentinel. Team synergy > Tier list.

Still some stuff is definable in the game and some stuff is objectively better than other stuff. Like Gustaff Flame is good, Wesker Low shot is the best low hitting OTG assist in the game, teleports cause problems and among other stuff. When stuff like this gets solidified we start coming up with match ups and what not.

On the topic of why Wesker is Top tier and She Hulk isn't, it's quite simple. Wesker can runaway more efficiently and if he has to he can easily play down the order. She Hulk is point character class mainly, she needs to be backed up by assist. She Hulk with Gustaff is a monster but so is everyone on that Top tier list if backed up by that same assist, including Wesker who is deadlier with stuff that takes up the screen like any beam assist or zoning assist. She Hulk without assists isn't much of a threat, Wesker still is and at LVL3 he remains one of the biggest threats to the team. Coupled to the fact that he has a very fast low hitting OTG move, She Hulk's comes out later than Wesker's. If it ever came out to Wesker vs She Hulk 1 on 1, She Hulk would be at a huge disadvantage because Wesker can just shoot teleport/run away all day from her.

Now if it was Wesker vs She Hulk backed up by 2 assists each starting off the match, who the hell knows who would win. She Hulk would be able to pressurize Wesker, get in his comfort zone and there she has the edge because of the huge range on her crouching normals which she can hit confirm into crazy damage. Conversely, Wesker might have a beam assist to zone around with and he can use that to hit confirm from mid screen into a big combo.

P.S. She Hulk was on the borderline too along with Dormammu, Wolverine, Taskmaster and C Viper. It was very hard to come up with a Top 12 but I can defend it at the very least.
Matchups we can define, but see the assists change everything so much that I still don't see objective "better and worse" categorizations of characters. Especially this early. There were only a few people claiming Spencer's amazing capabilities until Combofiend showed us really whats up.

Right now I just think its premature, and a bit redundant to put characters into finite classifications where there are already so many variables that can turn a specific superiority/inferiority upside down.

I do however believe we can single out characters who are visibly very good, just not relative to eachother. Examples would be Wesker, Zero, Sentinel, Dormammu, etc.

USD

I love how 90% of the time Mike Ross says "Yo, check this out!" it backfires.

I also love how most of the episode was "Lose. Pass the stick."

passthestickunf8.gif

"THOR! FLY AWAY!"

thorflyawayvufd.gif

Dahbomb

Man I love that ChrisG team. DAT Team Synergy. The Ryu combos were hype as fuck.

Marn pretty much got blown up were it not for 2 Sent LVL3 XFC bull shit matches. Funny enough he lost all matches where he used up X Factor early.

Dahbomb

Seems like this guy was the one who told JWong to use the Captain America/MODOK/Thor team.

This is probably a widely known fact but Super Skrull and Sentinel Drone combination is like RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. Skrull gets scary as shit with those drones because his stuff becomes safe and he starts resetting you and command grab throwing you all over the place. What's more is that I am pretty sure his charged air H crosses up and covers like 270 degrees all around him. With the drones out he can abuse that shit and if he gets a hit he gets a really high damaging combo off of that which of course can lead to reset situation if you don't die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom