• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivals

I'll give that a shot next time I have a chance to play Marvel, maybe tomorrow night. Thanks! Definitely going to mess around with the DHC trick in the lab.

Why doesn't this game have some sort of training mode to teach you the basics? I'm getting so frustrated playing online because I'll just get pounded into a corner and will be unable to move and it happens all the time. I've also found that the lobbies labeled for beginners or requesting a tutor have experienced people just pouncing on amateurs that come in. Ffffff...

entremet

grap3fruitman said:
Why doesn't this game have some sort of training mode to teach you the basics? I'm getting so frustrated playing online because I'll just get pounded into a corner and will be unable to move and it happens all the time. I've also found that the lobbies labeled for beginners or requesting a tutor have experienced people just pouncing on amateurs that come in. Ffffff...
This is an area where Capcom has dropped the ball, especially with the resurgance of fighting games. Give us a robust training mode within the game! Why do I need to hunt down videos on YouTube?

VF4 EVO training mode should be the template, but even Sega dropped the ball and didn't include a similar mode in the sequel.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Really wish people would stop ignoring the god damn manual that came with the game when they bring up basics IT'S ALL IN THERE.

DR2K

Banned
grap3fruitman said:

You can buy the guide, look in the manual(that is the purpose of it), go on the internet, do the trial mode combos(they help), etc. . .

Ferrio

Banned
Man I'm an idiot eating that hard drive so often. Least I started finding out what works and doesn't work against an airbound sentinal backed up by annoyatron missles.

You know you love my day 2 Sentinel, Ferrio ;-)

GGs to the gaffers I played tonight, got about 30 player matches in and starting to feel comfortable moving around in a match :)

Sentinel and Doom are the two characters out of everyone I use regularly that I've put in the least amount of time in training mode with(maybe 15 minutes combined compared to like 15 hours with Thor), so it was fun learning how to use them in battle :D

Doom I think I was having more success with because I took some notes on how clockwork moves around from the last WNF. Sent I just kinda play like a bouncing Dhalsim...

As for my performance, I think I need to stay more patient with my point characters, they die pretty quickly and it takes me too long before I start calling in assists continuously. Doom I need to learn a BNB with so I can finish his combos, and Sent I need to work on mixing in the command grab, as well as my air combos. Dormammu is clearly my best character, but I need to focus on staying lame instead of tridashing all the time. Worry more about building levels and save the rushdown for a rainy day. That's the whole reason I've got such good lockdown assists.

Thor... my Thor is just rusty. It's been a month since I've used him in training so his moveset wasn't really in my head. There were a couple times tonight where I'd do cool stuff like xfactor blockstun and hyper grab into the dhc trick, but it was few and far between. I need to stop playing him like a one-legged Storm and more like Doom. rapid super-jump tridashes for movement and more zoning and falcon kicks. I also need to cancel a tridash with a fake H and go into command throw, which is a major weakness of my game right now.

I used Jill a couple times, but if I don't dedicate everything to learning her, the decision making process is too quick to use her effectively. She's either 100% or trash. Oddly enough, her ruishdown game is eerily similar to Doom's on steroids. The main thing if I were to stick with her is constant cancels into feral crouch after maybe 1 or 2 hits to stop pushblock and create an unending mixup that's nearly impossible to punish. I think I'll pick her back up once my hitbox arrives, shes one of the characters where being able to double tap a direction would make a world of difference. Instant Feral would be a game changer. Even though I haven't used her much, my muscle memory for her cancels was pretty spot on, I just couldn't keep up the pressure and got killed too quickly.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
USD said:
Results for this week's 8 on the Break, which wasn't streamed because of technical issues:

http://shoryuken.com/f6/8-break-weekly-102-a-270385/

1: MarlinPie (C. Viper, Magneto, Amaterasu)
2: Josh Wong (Dante, Wesker, Felicia)
3: Chris G (Amaterasu, Ryu, Wesker)

Kyohei got knocked out of the MvC tourney at GC14 pretty early, but he's still godlike. Sucks that Jaxel's PC broke, would have loved to watch this.

did marlinpie take it the week before that? tournament results were the last thing i was concerned with at the time. lol

jdub03

Played pgorath today. He lamed me out with phoenix. The match ended in a timeout so I'm satisfied he had to atleast work to get his win.

shaowebb

God's Beard said:
You know you love my day 2 Sentinel, Ferrio ;-)

GGs to the gaffers I played tonight, got about 30 player matches in and starting to feel comfortable moving around in a match :)

Sentinel and Doom are the two characters out of everyone I use regularly that I've put in the least amount of time in training mode with(maybe 15 minutes combined compared to like 15 hours with Thor), so it was fun learning how to use them in battle :D

Doom I think I was having more success with because I took some notes on how clockwork moves around from the last WNF. Sent I just kinda play like a bouncing Dhalsim...

As for my performance, I think I need to stay more patient with my point characters, they die pretty quickly and it takes me too long before I start calling in assists continuously. Doom I need to learn a BNB with so I can finish his combos, and Sent I need to work on mixing in the command grab, as well as my air combos. Dormammu is clearly my best character, but I need to focus on staying lame instead of tridashing all the time. Worry more about building levels and save the rushdown for a rainy day. That's the whole reason I've got such good lockdown assists.

Thor... my Thor is just rusty. It's been a month since I've used him in training so his moveset wasn't really in my head. There were a couple times tonight where I'd do cool stuff like xfactor blockstun and hyper grab into the dhc trick, but it was few and far between. I need to stop playing him like a one-legged Storm and more like Doom. rapid super-jump tridashes for movement and more zoning and falcon kicks. I also need to cancel a tridash with a fake H and go into command throw, which is a major weakness of my game right now.

I used Jill a couple times, but if I don't dedicate everything to learning her, the decision making process is too quick to use her effectively. She's either 100% or trash. Oddly enough, her ruishdown game is eerily similar to Doom's on steroids. The main thing if I were to stick with her is constant cancels into feral crouch after maybe 1 or 2 hits to stop pushblock and create an unending mixup that's nearly impossible to punish. I think I'll pick her back up once my hitbox arrives, shes one of the characters where being able to double tap a direction would make a world of difference. Instant Feral would be a game changer. Even though I haven't used her much, my muscle memory for her cancels was pretty spot on, I just couldn't keep up the pressure and got killed too quickly.

Ya know who I found works out great with Jill? SPENCER. Her arrow Kick and cartwheel bounces set him up for grabs all day. It's the first time I've used his assist as grabs instead of armor piercer outside of an ancient Haggar team I had him on. Best part is if he's out there playing, summon arrow kick or cartwheel sets up a nice bounce into his stuff. If he's outas an assist and your playing Jill an arrow kick with a spencer wire grapple assist means that even if you shouldn't land within range of your arrow kicked opponent Spencer pulls them into your landing strip for Jill to go into the madness.

She's tough to control because without practice she's too fast to consistently work for me. Like you said...100% or pure trash.

Ya know Spencer may work to set up your Thor too Beard. I haven't tried them together yet but It's feasible since you can knock them out of wiregrapple anywhere from an arms length past your face into a combo. It'd be awesome if you could wire grapple assist into mighty hurricane.

Glad to see you gettin in there and finding who you can control against players Beard. You make me wish I had a PS3 for once because I'd love to play a mind like yours. All I tend to think of are baiting people in situations, assist covers and creating high pressure scenarios or unblockables. I control my opponents pretty well but I make sloppy combos and drop too many as well.

Dunno why but I get the feeling you'd be a scary fucking Magneto player Beard. Something about the way you mention your zoning, your flight game and tridashing tactics just makes me feel he may work out for you.

Ferrio

Banned
I think I brought down PSN.

I landed an X factored Raging demon for the game win... then instantly get disconnected and can't connect to PSN anymore...

Power of the dark hado...

Dahbomb

Man I wanna see more people use Liberation combos with Dormammu.

Also you gotta tiger knee the input of the Liberation arts if you wanna do them after the launcher right? I love Meteor Shower and Big Bang, especially Meteor shower with that ridiculous damage and air coverage.

Ferrio

Banned
Just got raped by Seph's modok team. Never played a modok so i was completely confused what was happening, especially when my inputs got reversed.... first thought my stick was dying... then noticed it kept happening.

Also I'm free to weskers. Teleports fuck me up, I don't know if it's online or not... but just teleport behind me no matter the char and I'll eat it.

Dahbomb

WHERE THE GOD DAMN MARVEL DLC AT???

Capcom why you tease us so? I know you got some at Captivate, let's see it already!!!

Dahbomb

USD said:
Marvelous Mondays #1B: Marn Analysis

Marn and Seb going over details from the Andre-Marn match.
Just goes to show how hype MARVEL is. Marn opens up the game with a ROM combo from Magneto, builds the two meters, gets him in the corner and only needs to land the final H xx L Hyper Grav xx Tempest into Zero Shadow clone for the DHC glitch which would've killed Wesker. He misses the H by a few centimeters and that allows Wesker to get the combo and along with the meter Wesker gained from being beaten up he could do the combo finisher into LVL3 for the character kill.

Part One of my MVC3 Assist usage article is up -- just the basics, more of the fun stuff is coming next week: http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/4/7...-part-one.html

Two things regarding this part:
You can call an assist:

* Standing
* Normal Jumping
* Flight
* During Normal Attacks, both on block and hit.
1) If you superjumped before starting flight, you can't use assists.
2) You can still use assists during command normals.

I think it's important to mention both of those situations, especially since this is gauged toward new players. Otherwise, they might think moves like Flame Carpet are specials.

You know what's weird, I don't think I've ever consciously used Advancing Guard in a game. I always think "Hey, you should use AG this time" and then the match starts and all thoughts go out of my head and I just act on instinct. I need to fix this.
I do the opposite - advancing guard everything, even when I shouldn't.

I'm curious, do you guys build your teams around the DHC trick or what?
I don't even use it; I'm not opposed to it, but I just don't intend to rely on a mechanic that might be patched out at a later date.

And that Dorm combo into chaotic flame is sick. Fuck it I'm learning Dorm. How long does Flame Carpet stay out?
180 frames.

Speaking of Dormammu combos, someone discovered an awesome new way of comboing with Dormammu; I added the videos to the guide if anyone is interested.

Really wish people would stop ignoring the god damn manual that came with the game when they bring up basics IT'S ALL IN THERE.
ROFL, reading?! Q, this isn't the 1800s! I want pictures to talk to me!

Man I wanna see more people use Liberation combos with Dormammu.

Also you gotta tiger knee the input of the Liberation arts if you wanna do them after the launcher right? I love Meteor Shower and Big Bang, especially Meteor shower with that ridiculous damage and air coverage.
Yup. If you TK 2D1C, you can make all 46 meteors hit, which fills a full bar and does 600K damage with level 1 X-Factor. It also brings your opponent back down for a relaunch! This also happens to be (AFAIK) 2D1C's only real use unless you want to guess at someone jumping in on you.

Dahbomb

Speaking of Dormammu combos, someone discovered an awesome new way of comboing with Dormammu; I added the videos to the guide if anyone is interested.
Link plz. Your Dorm guide is GODLIKE btw. So much insight in that stuff I x-copied that into my own Dorm game.

Meteor shower is just too bad ass. It's Dorm's only real way to "style" on opponents and it does great damage too.

Link plz. Your Dorm guide is GODLIKE btw. So much insight in that stuff I x-copied that into my own Dorm game.

Meteor shower is just too bad ass. It's Dorm's only real way to "style" on opponents and it does great damage too.
Thank you. I have to revamp a lot of the information, because there's so much being discovered every day.

Anyway, I think these will change your mind about Dormammu being able to style on opponents without liberations (it did for me); they're very practical, though probably not for online play, haha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhfUbzi-CPU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3nfsc3loM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32gIzeNEcKI

Dahbomb

OMG tri-dashing after a wall bounce for the follow up. Though I don't know if I will be able to link the tri-dash L, seems really tight.

But this has great implications for Dorm. Now his f+H leads to a full BnB combo from generally anywhere on the screen.

I also like the reset option at the end of the Chaotic Flames in the corner.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Karsticles said:
Thank you. I have to revamp a lot of the information, because there's so much being discovered every day.

Anyway, I think these will change your mind about Dormammu being able to style on opponents without liberations (it did for me); they're very practical, though probably not for online play, haha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhfUbzi-CPU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3nfsc3loM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32gIzeNEcKI

Gdlk. I'm hitting the lab with him after my sessions with Magnus. Dorm is probably my fav character in the game, and I despised Blackheart. lol

Dahbomb

Blackheart's Inferno xx Heart of Darkness is still the pimpest hit confirm ever.

I just used him for my Sentinel/Storm team as a ghetto replacement to CapCom. He had the 2nd best anti-air assist in the game. Other than that he had a LAME play style and it was so hard to combo with him because his st.L, st.M launcher hardly ever connected cuz it was too slow. You basically had to jump demon, air dash demon all day long with him.

Dormammu is 10x better than Blackheart, just with not as good an assist.

Gdlk. I'm hitting the lab with him after my sessions with Magnus. Dorm is probably my fav character in the game, and I despised Blackheart. lol
It might have something to do with the fact that Blackheart and Dormammu have two things in common: they are big, and they can make a pillar of energy appear under you. That's about it.

Blackheart for MvC3.

I used Sentinel/Blackheart/Captain Commando in MvC2. The first day I pulled off Blackheart's infinite in a match, I was ever so pleased with myself.

Dormammu is 10x better than Blackheart, just with not as good an assist.
My heart broke a bit when I found out his Purification assist wasn't tracking. I should have known then that Sentinel/Dormammu simply would not feel the same.

Dahbomb

If Purification assist tracked and had better start up time, it would be pretty godly.

Blackheart has a hyper that's also very similar to Dorm's Chaotic Flame. He spews demons from his chest in a straight line.

Though there are like 20 other characters I want in MVC3 before Blackheart.

Playing with a friend last night I found it odd I couldn't land Zero's Rekoha after knocking him down from an air combo while I could easily land Taskmasters jumping down arrow hyper every time. I guess there's some trick or I'm just not that fast.

Dahbomb

You gotta hit the hyper as soon as you land. Like you should be doing the motion as you are dropping and hit the 2 attack buttons with the forward as soon as you land. Has to be instant and you need to be within range too of course. It has some start up time that's why you have to do it as early as possible.

syztem

Neo Member
Dahbomb said:
You gotta hit the hyper as soon as you land. Like you should be doing the motion as you are dropping and hit the 2 attack buttons with the forward as soon as you land. Has to be instant and you need to be within range too of course. It has some start up time that's why you have to do it as early as possible.

Thank you, I've been missing this pretty consistently and I thought there was something I was missing. I'll try buffering it as I land and see if that helps.

If Purification assist tracked and had better start up time, it would be pretty godly.

Blackheart has a hyper that's also very similar to Dorm's Chaotic Flame. He spews demons from his chest in a straight line.

Though there are like 20 other characters I want in MVC3 before Blackheart.
Having "stuff go forward" is not similar enough to say they share a quality. Chaotic Flame is a beam hyper. Blackheart's hyper is only useful as a combo ender.

No one in this game plays anything like Blackheart, and his mode of fighting would be very welcome to the already diverse roster. I understand he's not a popular choice, but of all the potential returning veterans, he is no doubt the most unique in gameplay style (aside maybe from MvC2 Sentinel - lolz).

Playing with a friend last night I found it odd I couldn't land Zero's Rekoha after knocking him down from an air combo while I could easily land Taskmasters jumping down arrow hyper every time. I guess there's some trick or I'm just not that fast.
I always use his shadow double hyper on accident. Stupid Captain Corridor animation...

shaowebb said:
Ya know who I found works out great with Jill? SPENCER. Her arrow Kick and cartwheel bounces set him up for grabs all day. It's the first time I've used his assist as grabs instead of armor piercer outside of an ancient Haggar team I had him on. Best part is if he's out there playing, summon arrow kick or cartwheel sets up a nice bounce into his stuff. If he's outas an assist and your playing Jill an arrow kick with a spencer wire grapple assist means that even if you shouldn't land within range of your arrow kicked opponent Spencer pulls them into your landing strip for Jill to go into the madness.

She's tough to control because without practice she's too fast to consistently work for me. Like you said...100% or pure trash.

Glad to see you gettin in there and finding who you can control against players Beard. You make me wish I had a PS3 for once because I'd love to play a mind like yours. All I tend to think of are baiting people in situations, assist covers and creating high pressure scenarios or unblockables. I control my opponents pretty well but I make sloppy combos and drop too many as well.

Dunno why but I get the feeling you'd be a scary fucking Magneto player Beard. Something about the way you mention your zoning, your flight game and tridashing tactics just makes me feel he may work out for you.

That's actually a really good observation, I never considered Spencer for any assist but his wallbounce. his wire grapple is basically a longer range hyper grav, right? That'd actually be really interesting. Unfortunately, Jill and most of the other characters I like I just can't use online. I don't know why, but other people can do crazy Dante combos on me, but I can never get air play to come out of the jumping H, so I wind up trying to beat people with really basic magic series combos online, which I wind up dropping anyway because I only practice the BnBs that I make for myself.

I did play Magneto for a while, and he's probably the best overall character in the game. Builds meter well, can get in easily and has a lot of mixups, great zoning and the best lvl 3 in the game. I think he's really fun as an all-around character, but he's a little too clean for my tastes. I don't think I could beat other magneto players with him.

Karsticles said:
I do the opposite - advancing guard everything, even when I shouldn't.

The thing that gets me is the wait time between assist calls. I'm a Jojo player so I know how to use advancing guard and call assists, but I'm used to being able to throw them out whenever I want, and have them appear instantly.

Karsticles said:
My heart broke a bit when I found out his Purification assist wasn't tracking. I should have known then that Sentinel/Dormammu simply would not feel the same.

You know what would be the most baller shit ever? if his assists were stocking two levels of destruction/creation/mixed, respectively, then using liberation. So you could tag him out with 1 lvl and get a lvl 3, or tag him out with 3 and get an instant liberation. As long as there was a lot of vulnerability, I think it'd be pretty fair. Then again, faster characters like Jill and X-23 running around constantly shielded by meteors would probably be broken.

You know what would be the most baller shit ever? if his assists were stocking two levels of destruction/creation/mixed, respectively, then using liberation. So you could tag him out with 1 lvl and get a lvl 3, or tag him out with 3 and get an instant liberation. As long as there was a lot of vulnerability, I think it'd be pretty fair. Then again, faster characters like Jill and X-23 running around constantly shielded by meteors would probably be broken.
That's actually a really cool idea, and I don't think it would be overpowered, since you have to call him 4 times before actually getting a desired effect.

Alternatively, I wonder if it would be too much to let him keep his charges when called as a liberation assist, but the assist has something like a 20 second cooldown to balance that out. It might create an interesting situation that is the opposite of Phoenix: instead of holding off as long as possible to build meter, you play Dormammu on point to get three charges ASAP so you can utilize the assist as much as possible.

The thing that gets me is the wait time between assist calls. I'm a Jojo player so I know how to use advancing guard and call assists, but I'm used to being able to throw them out whenever I want, and have them appear instantly.
So in Jojo, there's no cooldown on assist times at all? I can imagine how much rage that would cause if the game had Hidden Missiles or Sentinel Force, haha.

Dahbomb

Capcom really has to re-think that Liberation assist. They HAVE to make it more practical to use more than once in a game.

Karsticles said:
That's actually a really cool idea, and I don't think it would be overpowered, since you have to call him 4 times before actually getting a desired effect.

Alternatively, I wonder if it would be too much to let him keep his charges when called as a liberation assist, but the assist has something like a 20 second cooldown to balance that out. It might create an interesting situation that is the opposite of Phoenix: instead of holding off as long as possible to build meter, you play Dormammu on point to get three charges ASAP so you can utilize the assist as much as possible.

No, I meant if his 3 assists were stocking 2 levels and using liberation. So his assists would basically be Creation 2/Destruction 2/Mixed. But the thing is, if you call him, he has to come out, do the animation for two stores and then the liberation. But, if you put him on point, store levels and then call him, you just get the liberation assist. If you only store one or two points, he'll max out the stores then liberate according to what assist you chose. So if you stored 2 destruction and chose creation 2, he'd come out, store 1 creation point then summon the volcano.

Karsticles said:
So in Jojo, there's no cooldown on assist times at all? I can imagine how much rage that would cause if the game had Hidden Missiles or Sentinel Force, haha.

Well, Jojo's is a unique game. Basically, the majority of characters are actually two characters. In Marvel, you have ABCS, A1 and A2. In Jojo, it's just ABCS. S basically swaps between your "characters", but what you're actually doing is activating a power called Stand that varies wildly from character to character. But what it means is, you can press S+A/B/C to instantly get the stand's normals, or some characters have stands that they can throw out like Chun's lightning legs assist, then jump to the other side then attack. You and your Stand share the same health, and if you let your stand get hit to much, it can be momentarily broken.

The best is an ability called tandem attacks that some characters have, where for one meter you can pause the game for a few seconds, and input a series of moves, including specials and supers, that your stand will carry out while you move around freely, giving you added pressure, unblockables or the ability to link otherwise uncomboable moves.

Even though you can't choose your assist, the things you can do with them are much crazier than in Marvel, and the game is unbelievably execution heavy, with lots of unplinkable 1-frame links and 15-20 second BnBs, despite being a 1v1 game. Jojo basically has everything other 2d fighting games have, taken to exaggerated levels. Half screen footsies, full screen teleports, zoning characters that can cut the screen in half, rushdown characters that can freeze time. It's kind of like Darkstalkers plus Marvel, with no chain combos. And throw techs are like 2 frames.

It's also the most hype thing you'll ever see.

thinking of picking up haggar, looking for a new team(s) to utilize lariat assist.

i was hoping you guys could help narrow down the most effective team from: deadpool/spencer/haggar, spencer/hulk/haggar, deadpool/haggar/akuma, spencer/akuma/haggar.

thoughts? thx.

Dahbomb

I don't play Spencer much so I am going to be a bit biased but Deadpool/Haggar/Akuma seem like a decent pick.

Deadpool on point covered by Haggar for anti-air + rushdown and Akuma Tatsu assist to mount an offense, teleport shenanigans and overhead mix up. You can also probably play with Haggar as second character if he is backed up by Akuma. Akuma does fine as anchor/last character so keep him there. Haggar by himself can't do much.

I wouldn't go with that Hulk team either. Haggar won't really benefit much from Spencer's assists.

The meta game of Marvel is evolving rapidly, it used to be Battery/Point/Assist then Point/Utility/Assist and now Point/Utility/Anchor in which you have 2 very good assists. You want a Point character who is just damn good at doing his job, 2 good/great assists backing him up with a second character that changes up the play style from the first character while continuing to control the flow of the game. The 3rd character should be a character with a good assist, good overall game so he can handle most match ups and have good to very good X Factor bonuses.

Examples of this include MarlinPie's C.Viper/Magneto/Amaterasu team or ChrisG's Wesker/Ryu/Amaterasu team or Andre's Wesker/Dante/Trish. Hell I would say that even ClakyD's She Hulk/Tron/Sentinel team fit this criteria. Since there are so many good characters in this game and good assists, you are going to want at least 2 specialists and one all around good character for anchor with at least 2 good assists.

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
I AM THE BEST... I AM THE BEST.......

Right?

Oh man great episode.

Problem with Gootecks is that he isn't playing Marvel he's playing Street Fighter. As Wolverine, you don't give your opponent time to think you always need to be in his face. When Gootecks is playing Wolverine, he just chills back waiting for the opponent to make a mistake and then goes in for the combo. Wolverine has such nice priority and safety on his normals that he can just pressure the opponent and maintain the distance with Berserker Slash + assist.

You can't give the other player any space or time to think in Marvel. You can't wait for them to make mistakes, you have to make them play by your game plan. Go in, start a block string, call assist, Berserk Slash, maintain pressure, instant overhead, dive kick, block string, call assist, Slash.... repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom