• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ogrekiller said:
Only specific normals do chip.
Dark Phoenix? I forgot about her.

enzo_gt said:
D:

this changes EVERYTHING. Well I was wondering though cause normals chip in SF too. But yeah MvC3 is incomparable really, mechanics-wise.
Normals don't do chip damage in Street Fighter.

marvelb.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Feels good to go back to this game. Completely ignoring SC2 for the next couple of months.

Ugh, really wish there were more OTG moves and assists in the game. Really limits team options for certain characters COUGHspidermanCOUGHcapCOUGH

Wesker , b (Samurai Edge)
Sentinel , y (Rocket Punch)
Dormmamu, b (Purification)
Super Skrull, a (Stone Smite)
Taskmaster, y (Aim Master[Vertical Shot])
C.Viper , b (Seismic Gunner)
Hulk , a (Gamma Wave)
Deadpool , b (Katanarama)
Iron Man , y (Smart Bomb)
Dante , b (Crystal)
Viewtiful Joe , y (Shocking Pink)
X-23 , b (Ankle Slice)
Arthur , y (Fire Bottle Toss)
She Hulk , a (Torpedo)
Dr.Doom , b (Hidden Missiles)
Shuma Gorath , a (Mystic Ray)

Seriously that's it? Hidden Missiles? Vertical Aim Master? SHOCKING PINK? Who the fuck would actually pick these for their otg properties?

Characters without OTG moves (those with OTG supers in parenthesss)

Chun-Li
Ryu (Air Shinku Hadoken OTGs)
Trish
Morrigan (Shadow Servant OTGs)
Hsien-ko (Chireito and Tenrei Ha OTGs)
Haggar (Giant Haggar Press OTGs)
Captain America
Magneto (Shockwave and Gravity squeeze OTG)
Storm (Hailstorm and Elemental Rage OTG)
Spider-Man

Not too crippling for those with OTG supers- in fact Storm and Magneto arguably don't really need them given their loops, but Spider-Man and Cap definitely suffer. Ryu could also benefit from one, as do Morrigan and LeiLei.

Special mention goes to Jill, whose Fallen Prey OTGs but is totally worthless for continuing combos. Also Viewtiful Joe, whose OTG move (Shocking Pink) potentially hurts himself and takes 2 seconds minimum to activate.

Dahbomb

Joe's Shocking Pink might not be a bad OTG option for characters who need it for throw. Someone like Jill.

Mr. Soulstar putting that Viewtiful Joe/Dormammu/Captain America team to work!!

Dahbomb said:
Joe's Shocking Pink might not be a bad OTG option for characters who need it for throw. Someone like Jill.

Mr. Soulstar putting that Viewtiful Joe/Dormammu/Captain America team to work!!

Considering that the assist version is the heavy version (aka 5 second timer), that doesn't seem too likely.

Dahbomb

LOL what was Capcom thinking with that shit. It's probably supposed to be used like a trap more than anything. Just throw that out there and the opponent has to be careful with it lying around.

Joe is a lot of unexplored technology. People don't even have BnBs for him yet. He might be the DAN of this game.

SmokeMaxX

Shocking pink is definitely usable in the right situation (although kinda off-topic from the OTG discussion). I was playing around in the lab with Tron... You can combo into Giant Servbot, hit yourself with the shocking pink, and recover faster than you normally would, which lets you extend the combo further than you would normally be able to. I'm curious if this could trick the engine into resetting the scaling on damage/stun since you're getting hit mid-combo. Not too optimistic on that, but you never know.

Dahbomb

SmokeMaxX said:
Shocking pink is definitely usable in the right situation (although kinda off-topic from the OTG discussion). I was playing around in the lab with Tron... You can combo into Giant Servbot, hit yourself with the shocking pink, and recover faster than you normally would, which lets you extend the combo further than you would normally be able to. I'm curious if this could trick the engine into resetting the scaling on damage/stun since you're getting hit mid-combo. Not too optimistic on that, but you never know.
My guess it would but no one has ever used it that way. Like I said, Joe technology is totally unexplored. Most people don't even know that you can A) get an air combo after Mach Speed and B) V. God Hand continues the DHC glitch.

Oh man you can knock yourself out of hypers? That might be pretty bad ass for some hypers, like Zero's which once you activate will stay there. Or Dorm's Stalking Flare.

My bad on the assist version of shocking pink; I was somehow looking at the tvc version of joe and didn't notice. The mvc assist version of SP is in fact the light version according to the guide and explodes after 2 seconds.

Dahbomb said:
LOL what was Capcom thinking with that shit. It's probably supposed to be used like a trap more than anything. Just throw that out there and the opponent has to be careful with it lying around.

Joe is a lot of unexplored technology. People don't even have BnBs for him yet. He might be the DAN of this game.
There's really only one BnB for Joe, and it involves his rejumps during aerial raves ending with one or two dive kicks into Six machine Cannon. You can also do it out of a H SRK and replace the jumps with air dashes, but it's a bit trickier to pull off.

SMZC

Ok, so I live in Europe and for the first month after release I was having no problem finding matches from my region using the region filter, but now it's gotten ridiculous (PS3 version, by the way). I can only find people at a very specific time in the day, and I've noticed that I'm usually put with the few guys over and over. How is this possible? Are people moving on from this game already? Has it just sold poorly in Europe and/or more specifically on the PS3 version of the game?

I'm really annoyed with this, because playing against people of other regions is usually unplayable due to lag, and if this is happening just 2 months away from release I can't imagine what I will have to go through to find matches a year or two from now. For a fighting game that comes out that I actually feel like investing time on, and this happens -_-

Dahbomb

People in Europe play Marvel? LOL...

MVC3 did really well in the USA but I don't know how well it did outside USA. It has always been a game that was popular more in the US.

And there are tricks to get better match up, like changing the language or something. I am not sure I don't play online at all so I don't know.

If I were you I would put those regular guys on Friends list if they were same level or above me.

What this generation is missing though, is the MVC2 arcade experience. Like I have been used to the Versus series for quite some time but I wasn't really aware of a MVC2 coming out. I liked MVC1 but it wasn't like "OMG HYPEST GAME EVAR!!!11" I walk to my local arcade one fine afternoon and they have not one but two MVC2 machines and people playing on that. Even back then people were like crazy good, I remember seeing the Psylocke tri-jump combos and that shit blew my mind. Then I saw the AHVBx3 and that shit blew me away.

I used to come there every day just to see what crazy teams people had. These were the times when Guile was top tier because he could jab you and you would eat a Sonic Hurricane. Ice Man got NO respect. Juggernaut was hella broken. Ken and Akuma were broken because if you got them into an air combo ending with Tatsu kicks that was almost a dead character. One guy used to run Omega Red and he was totally beasting on people. For quite some time I ran Ken/Guile/Jin (mostly for the godly assist) and did decent.

Then the scene started to change and people started being good with other characters like Blackheart, Cyclops, Storm, Cable (Psylocke was always popular at my arcades, even as a point). When Sentinel, Magneto and Captain Commando players started owning that's when the game got real hype. The game totally took off as now the game was being played at a totally different level. So many people at my arcade picked MSPs, Team Scrub, Santhrax and one guy totally beasted with Magneto/Sentinel/CapCom. I had to adapt so I slowly started picking up Storm as my main and used the godly CapCom assist. GOOD TIMES... and best of all were times when some random dude would come in and beast with a random team. I still remember this Cammy player raping everyone's top tier team (he had Doom and Cable too).

Now though everything is on the Internets and that "surprise" of seeing some new technology live in front of you is gone. Still game is mad hype.

Korigama

Dahbomb said:
People in Europe play Marvel? LOL...

MVC3 did really well in the USA but I don't know how well it did outside USA. It has always been a game that was popular more in the US.

I wouldn't know about the sales in Europe, but based upon the Media Create threads, MvC3 sold less than 100k in Japan after accounting for both PS3 and 360 sales.

Dahbomb

VJ has a godlike spinning kick, ridiculous priority on that shit and crosses up so well. And you can easily combo off of it.

Jump and throw Voomerang on the way down and it comes at a really ambiguous angle/path that can really open the opponent. Joe can definitely get in and start a combo, he also has mad floating time on overhead attacks giving him easy unblockable set ups.

The problem is that he is lacking in damaging combos. Even with the jumps/diagonal kicks/groovy uppercut combos he is nowhere near a touch of death combo. I am having severe trouble crossing the 700k-800k mark which is a must for a viable point character.

I am going to try for a modified BnB where you do his regular BnB and knock him down, OTG assist into Mach Speed relaunch combo.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a European playing this game, but I'm playing the Xbox version. I don't use the region filter and lag usually isn't too bad. I'm almost always playing Americans it seems. Marvel doesn't seem to be all that big in Europe and I think that's mainly because comics aren't popular at all outside a very specific niche. The characters have some brand recognition because of the old cartoons and in recent years the movies, and I think Mortal Kombat will probably do better over here. As a kid it was always about Mortal Kombat and rarely ever about Street Fighter. Promotionwise they held a pretty big European Mortal Kombat tournament using the demo in a bunch of different locations in different countries that'll culminate in a huge grand final.

I want to build a Magneto team, but I think I need an otg assist, and I don't really want to use Wesker.

any suggestions? Keep in mind my execution is only above average

LordAlu

viewtiful_dru said:
I want to build a Magneto team, but I think I need an otg assist, and I don't really want to use Wesker.

any suggestions? Keep in mind my execution is only above average
Deadpool?

LordAlu

btw, if anyone wants some LIVE matches with someone who ain't that good but is willing to learn, check me out on XBL (LordAlu). I'm in the UK for people who want that same region goodness.

I've been trying to do player matches online but the lag completely throws off my timing half the time! :(

Ogrekiller said:
Special mention goes to Jill, whose Fallen Prey OTGs but is totally worthless for continuing combos.

Come on son, let's think a little bit before we say stuff like this. First of all, Jill has more wall bounce, ground bounce and relaunch moves than any other character in the game. The only time an OTG matters is when again? Oh yeah, if you smash them after a launcher. The fact that Jill can't really do anything after a launcher and her standing hard doesn't combo into it should be enough incentive to NEVER FUCKING USE IT. She can easily max out her damage without needing to ground an opponent. She doesn't need it to hit confim into hyper after a long combo. She doesn't need it for anything. That said, you might not have noticed because you were too busy being annoyed, but Fallen Prey throws them to the perfect distance for a wakeup mixup.

And the cool think about Jill is, if you really want to, you actually can use hidden missiles as an OTG because her combos being so long that it's actually more consistent than calling an assist after you land. Because if you didn't notice, the air combo timing for Jill has to normally be really delayed to even get Wesker to OTG.

God's Beard said:
Come on son, let's think a little bit before we say stuff like this. First of all, Jill has more wall bounce, ground bounce and relaunch moves than any other character in the game. The only time an OTG matters is when again? Oh yeah, if you smash them after a launcher. The fact that Jill can't really do anything after a launcher and her standing hard doesn't combo into it should be enough incentive to NEVER FUCKING USE IT. She can easily max out her damage without needing to ground an opponent. She doesn't need it to hit confim into hyper after a long combo. She doesn't need it for anything. That said, you might not have noticed because you were too busy being annoyed, but Fallen Prey throws them to the perfect distance for a wakeup mixup.

And the cool think about Jill is, if you really want to, you actually can use hidden missiles as an OTG because her combos being so long that it's actually more consistent than calling an assist after you land. Because if you didn't notice, the air combo timing for Jill has to normally be really delayed to even get Wesker to OTG.

It's not that great. It's good if you just need to finish a combo without a super but outside of that, it's just... okay. There's a reason why she's based on loops instead of repops.

Prototype-03 said:
It's not that great. It's good if you just need to finish a combo without a super but outside of that, it's just... okay. There's a reason why she's based on loops instead of repops.

Well yeah, that's what I just said.

Dahbomb

That RAMnation final was hype as fuck. Phoenix got bodied. That guy had the fucking balls and the defense to run the clock on Dark Phoenix's X Factor. That Amaterasu hyper buys so much time.

Taskmaster/Amaterasu/Doom is a solid team. Taskmaster can do free unblockables from these assists and zone all day long. And so much chip it's ridiculous.

It's really interesting that different areas have like different characters that are used more often. This tournament had A LOT of Taskmasters and not that many Zeros/Akuma. Then Guard Crush where like everyone was using Magneto/Wesker. Then of course we got SoCal where it's She Hulk on like the team of 4 best players there (Justin, Combofiend, Floe, ClakyD). Where Filipino Champ is from he says that Phoenix is like on every top player's team.

shaowebb

Dahbomb said:
That RAMnation final was hype as fuck. Phoenix got bodied. That guy had the fucking balls and the defense to run the clock on Dark Phoenix's X Factor. That Amaterasu hyper buys so much time.

Taskmaster/Amaterasu/Doom is a solid team. Taskmaster can do free unblockables from these assists and zone all day long. And so much chip it's ridiculous.

It's really interesting that different areas have like different characters that are used more often. This tournament had A LOT of Taskmasters and not that many Zeros/Akuma. Then Guard Crush where like everyone was using Magneto/Wesker. Then of course we got SoCal where it's She Hulk on like the team of 4 best players there (Justin, Combofiend, Floe, ClakyD). Where Filipino Champ is from he says that Phoenix is like on every top player's team.

Yeah I occasionally pop out either Ryu or Wolverine on my team for She-Hulk. She's just so good at getting damage out of nothing combos. Crouching LLMHS jump LMHS land runners stance torpedo into dealers choice is like half their health or more and a blind man with no thumbs could do it.

Thing is I use her for a different assist than most. I use her flashkick. It's less punishable than her Torpedo or clothesline assists and it covers you for jump ins/ cross up attempts and does great at protecting your approach without getting punished itself.

Since the day when I way over reacted at how easy it was to skip runners stance I have been playing her and she just keeps getting better. Big damage, fast, OTG, tons of dizzy moves and grabs everywhere? Easy to take to the top on any team.

I like throwing Tatsu assists for her and using She-Hulk's slide (crouching H) to screw with people. If it misses I usually enjoy the freedom to stand up and go for a grab afterwards because Tatsu coverage lasts so long. Though I'd like to see what would happen if I popped Jill cartwheel assist at the same time as my Torpedo someday.

God's Beard said:

All that is great, but I'd really like a good option after a throw, and Fallen Prey doesn't quite cut it.

Dahbomb

She Hulk with those huge range on crouching normals. It's fucking ridiculous.

Also big WTF @ that girl on stream getting teased. Worst was the constant trying to ram that mic down her throat.

I hope that guy gets beat by a girl in SSF4 one day.

Dahbomb said:
She Hulk with those huge range on crouching normals. It's fucking ridiculous.

Also big WTF @ that girl on stream getting teased. Worst was the constant trying to ram that mic down her throat.

I hope that guy gets beat by a girl in SSF4 one day.
I kind of want her dad to beat him up IRL

Ogrekiller said:
All that is great, but I'd really like a good option after a throw, and Fallen Prey doesn't quite cut it.
The reason that she can't easily combo after a throw is because of how easily she can land one. She can throw so quickly out of a teleport that most people won't even realize what side she was on when they got tossed. Same with her command grab's 1-frame link with a stand L. Your best bet is to get an OTG assist that works with the throw and learn the timing. If you can do that, then she becomes the mad beast.

I'm 100% certain that for someone that can take advantage of Jill's options, she's the hardest character to block in the game.

God's Beard said:
The reason that she can't easily combo after a throw is because of how easily she can land one. She can throw so quickly out of a teleport that most people won't even realize what side she was on when they got tossed. Same with her command grab's 1-frame link with a stand L. Your best bet is to get an OTG assist that works with the throw and learn the timing. If you can do that, then she becomes the mad beast.

I'm 100% certain that for someone that can take advantage of Jill's options, she's the hardest character to block in the game.

Gotta teach me those tricks sometime then.

On another note: NEW CROSS COUNTER! WOOHOO!

NeoUltima

Ogrekiller said:
Ugh, really wish there were more OTG moves and assists in the game. Really limits team options for certain characters COUGHspidermanCOUGHcapCOUGH

Wesker , b (Samurai Edge)
Sentinel , y (Rocket Punch)
Dormmamu, b (Purification)
Super Skrull, a (Stone Smite)
Taskmaster, y (Aim Master[Vertical Shot])
C.Viper , b (Seismic Gunner)
Hulk , a (Gamma Wave)
Deadpool , b (Katanarama)
Iron Man , y (Smart Bomb)
Dante , b (Crystal)
Viewtiful Joe , y (Shocking Pink)
X-23 , b (Ankle Slice)
Arthur , y (Fire Bottle Toss)
She Hulk , a (Torpedo)
Dr.Doom , b (Hidden Missiles)
Shuma Gorath , a (Mystic Ray)

Seriously that's it? Hidden Missiles? Vertical Aim Master? SHOCKING PINK? Who the fuck would actually pick these for their otg properties?
Yeah, very disappointed with this as well. Many of the otgs are just too damn slow to even work viably.

Yoshichan said:
Lots of dislikes in this video.

Why? It's on Machinima and it's not a Call of Duty video.

"Oh man, these guys again?"

Fucking morons, how about not watching the vids?
Yeah, I kind of auto-liked it to offset this.
Well, it got 20+ likes and 0 dislikes since I started watching, so maybe haters are leveling off.

I've played that Honzo Gonzo kid (he's only 18) online a couple times and while most high ranked players I could at least kill a character he made me look completely free. Good on him for going right into the fire and killing Phoenix like it's nothing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
_dementia said:
Yeah, I kind of auto-liked it to offset this.
Well, it got 20+ likes and 0 dislikes since I started watching, so maybe haters are leveling off.
Yeah hope so! Auto-like for me too~

Yoshichan

Threi said:
"I'm married....to the game"

also: gootecks laugh is so addicting
:looooooool just saw that bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom