• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threi

notag
Dante has always been the most popular char online, since day one.

You mash buttons and amazing shit happens. How can anyone not like that? Also he doesn't have any major weaknesses to work around (which sent does, but online those weaknesses aren't as apparent.

Why wouldn't people use him?

Darkman M

Threi said:

You mash buttons and amazing shit happens. How can anyone not like that? Also he doesn't have any major weaknesses to work around (which sent does, but online those weaknesses aren't as apparent.

This, something about Dante reminds me of SF4 Ken, i think it's the smug smile on his face.

El Sloth

Banned
NinajHeartless said:
Good games Sloth and....other guy

Sorry I had to leave, my girlfriend wants to watch Star Trek: TNG and I am not one to turn down Star Trek watchin'

also I fucking love Random/Random/Phoenix

Best team in the damn game!
gg's dude.

Your Dormington is currently superior, but don't expect that to last very long!

And gg's to Enzo_gt

I have been taught to respect the invincibility on Iron Man's level 3. Random chaotic flames no more!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
NinajHeartless said:
Good games Sloth and....other guy

Sorry I had to leave, my girlfriend wants to watch Star Trek: TNG and I am not one to turn down Star Trek watchin'

also I fucking love Random/Random/Phoenix

Best team in the damn game!
I think that was me in that lobby, arvinater.

Good Games to all the gaffers I played today, definitely going to sharpen my super-free skills up. Putting in work is not just a saying goddamn, you gotta live by that shit.
El Sloth said:
gg's dude.

Your Dormington is currently superior, but don't expect that to last very long!

And gg's to Enzo_gt

I have been taught to respect the invincibility on Iron Man's level 3. Random chaotic flames no more!
Those random chaotic flames, I ain't even mad. Hell, if I was any good at Dormammu I'd spam purification and chaotic flame too :p

vg260

Threi said:

I have no problem w/ tons o' Dantes because he's an extremely popular character, and people would jump on him regardless of his power in-game. He's a signature Capcom character now, he is the star of a game series that redefined the action genre, and people have been dying to play him in a fighting game. He's finally in one and has all his signature moves from all his games, so of course everyone wants to use him. Got no problem with that. Sentinel on the other hand only became widely used because of how overpowered he was in MvC2, and while he's been around for years in Marvel, he's in no way a marquee character in Marvel. If he was merely ok in MvC2, people wouldn't give a crap about him in Marvel 3. To me, that difference makes facing tons of Sentinels 100 times more annoying.

sleepykyo

AzureJericho said:
Richard N introduced the new Dante technology so of course Dante's gonna get a lot more exposure. Of course, it's not like he wasn't before though.

Classic. :lol

Magus' Dante on iplaywinner stream is pretty stylish as well. How could he not be popular? High damage even without meter, large variety of moves that are actually viable, good mobility. And lastly, the last white haired incarnation of Dante for a while. :(

Korosenai

Lol, I played this kid in GB tonight, and 2-1'd him with Sent, and he got mad salty saying he was gonna hack my account.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Just went 50 rounds in an open lobby and went 49-1. Really starting to feel Wesker Doom Dante. Either 3 of them I can put on point and I don't feel like one is an Commando type of character. Each can hold their own pretty well solo.

With Dante assist, Doom can pull off 850,000+ in a corner 1 meter. So so so bad.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Hmm ok, this game is all about finding the strategy that works... forget about using the chars you like you will loose like no end. Dormanmu with Haggar assist is retarded!

Toski

Duelist said:
This has to be the funniest thing I've seen in a while.
For all of DSPs bitching about the netcode, some of the time I feel his pain. Trying to do Spidey's UWT setups is more trouble then its worth online which is driving me to learn a new main for XBL.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Hmm ok, this game is all about finding the strategy that works... forget about using the chars you like you will loose like no end. Dormanmu with Haggar assist is retarded!
After playing this game I have to disagree with you. I think the biggest fucking problem in this game is the broken online component. The lack of decent features has made the chances of finding a ranked match so bad that we have to pick settings at any rank to find a game. This has made the ranked section a regular free for all where beginners(fighters and 9th judges) butt heads with second lords who have played over five hundred matches.

I've just been to busy playing and raging to notice it. I've never seen this in BlazBlue, Street Fighter IV or even Dead or Alive. This system is so fucked up that people have no choice, but to game with friends or acquaintances if they actually like winning a match every once in a while instead of watching themselves get pummeled to death. I know that Qistoptier and Prototype have spent tons of time in BlazBlue and they have to agree somewhat. It would have been insane to pair a beginner in BlazBlue up against someone who is the equivalent of a second lord(think level 70+ with hundreds if not thousands of matches here guys).

It is a real shame that a lot of people are getting the idea that the fundamentals of game are broken when the online system deserves the blame...

TP

Im going to drop Hsien-Ko for now, she feels...limited. And pairing her with two other meter hungry characters isn't a good idea. Im going to replace her with a meter building character

Wesker, Tron (?), Zero (?), Taskmaster, or Chun Li (?)
Surely one of these will work out for me

Dropping the avatar too

Es3GU.jpg

Razor210 said:
How do you punish Chun Li lightning legs?

As assist or on point? with which characters?

projectiles do the job well

sleepykyo

SolarPowered said:
After playing this game I have to disagree with you. I think the biggest fucking problem in this game is the broken online component.

My first four attempts to find a match failed and booted me back to the menu. Fifth attempt lead to a game so laggy that I was walking hypers. There was no way to avoid this as there is no option to back out, not that it would be of any use, seeing as there is connection/ping indicator. I'd play in lobbies instead, but when I want card battling, I want actual battling cards like Magic or Culdcept Saga.

Jeo's old avatar has been taken.
sleepykyo said:
My first four attempts to find a match failed and booted me back to the menu. Fifth attempt lead to a game so laggy that I was walking hypers. There was no way to avoid this as there is no option to back out, not that it would be of any use, seeing as there is connection/ping indicator. I'd play in lobbies instead, but when I want card battling, I want actual battling cards like Magic or Culdcept Saga.
I honestly experience very little lag in this game. The biggest problem by far is the lack of balance in the matchmaking experience. If you know the game in and out then continue looking for matches with the settings set to find a match against someone of any rank. I think I'm going to try my hand at player matches next to see if the experience is any better.

Ploid 3.0

MVC3 is a lonely game. It feels like it's 1 year after launch and I'm hopping on trying to find some random to play, and turning it off after 2 fights. Glad I didn't buy the CE or the Guide. For fighting games I'll stick to streams now until they catch up with basic online quality of shooters. Heck I'd take a Socom 2 online system. G^

I think fighting games will start to decline in popularity again. They are still putting the commercial on tv so it must be doing good.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SolarPowered said:
I've just been to busy playing and raging to notice it. I've never seen this in BlazBlue, Street Fighter IV or even Dead or Alive. This system is so fucked up that people have no choice, but to game with friends or acquaintances if they actually like winning a match every once in a while instead of watching themselves get pummeled to death. I know that Qistoptier and Prototype have spent tons of time in BlazBlue and they have to agree somewhat. It would have been insane to pair a beginner in BlazBlue up against someone who is the equivalent of a second lord(think level 70+ with hundreds if not thousands of matches here guys).

It is a real shame that a lot of people are getting the idea that the fundamentals of game are broken when the online system deserves the blame...

Pretty much I stoped playing rank cause I got tired of running against people that don't know shit, just been playing proto for a few hours on this too.

Nyx

SolarPowered said:
Jeo's old avatar has been taken.

I honestly experience very little lag in this game. The biggest problem by far is the lack of balance in the matchmaking experience. If you know the game in and out then continue looking for matches with the settings set to find a match against someone of any rank. I think I'm going to try my hand at player matches next to see if the experience is any better.

I'm a beginner (no ranked matches yet), and in player matches I always end up fighting other beginners, or amateurs/rookies, so it's pretty good tbh.

My current team is Cap/Chris/Doom. Cap's shield beats everything, Chris is my favorite zoning character and Doom's missile assist interrupts like half the combos I fall into and extends a good deal of my own.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
SolarPowered said:
After playing this game I have to disagree with you. I think the biggest fucking problem in this game is the broken online component. The lack of decent features has made the chances of finding a ranked match so bad that we have to pick settings at any rank to find a game. This has made the ranked section a regular free for all where beginners(fighters and 9th judges) butt heads with second lords who have played over five hundred matches.

Its not really that I think its broken, but if your team is made around rush you are going to get blown up when some assists are invincible... hard to pressure, crossup and fake out when the guy just presses a button and brings out the mayor of earth's invincible cyclone of death. Unless you are J wong and can touch of death any char ;P.

You really have to choose your team very carefully and include some rush down, some keep away and some brute force meat shield. Much like mvc2, if you choose your chars based on what you like you are going to get blown up pretty hard... or be ready to counterpick.

Duelist

DarkoMaledictus said:
Its not really that I think its broken, but if your team is made around rush you are going to get blown up when some assists are invincible... hard to pressure, crossup and fake out when the guy just presses a button and brings out the mayor of earth's invincible cyclone of death. Unless you are J wong and can touch of death any char ;P.

You really have to choose your team very carefully and include some rush down, some keep away and some brute force meat shield. Much like mvc2, if you choose your chars based on what you like you are going to get blown up pretty hard... or be ready to counterpick.

That's how it is right now because the game is new. Give it some time and people will figure out ways to bait assists and punish accordingly. With that, people will be afraid to mash it while they block and thus openings are created for rushdown.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I found 360 ranked custom match more reliable than ps3 for some reason.

360: It constantly gave me same ranks opponents which I like the most.

PS3: It kept sending me to very strong opponents that I am not good enough to fight. Literally, My ass has been handed to me. SO MANY TIME.

Edited: If anyone want to know what setting I used for custom matches;

Language: English
Region: Same

DarkoMaledictus said:

I agree to a certain extent. I think this is just the result of the evolution of the competitive/online at a much more rapid pace than any other fighting game has ever seen. The bad online system makes it even worse because ranked is completely unfiltered. The best of the best are eating the scrub's lunch all day and night.

There are definitely going to be characters that suffer more than others(Hsien-Ko for example), but it seems much worse because the information is appearing at a rapid pace in an unusually mixed environment.

I think this is the first time we've ever had such a gigantic pool of beginners fighting against seasoned players.

Hmmm...

Dreavus

God they need to start showing network connections before you head into an online match. Played a ranked one where it was terribad, and I could tell the other guy was struggling a lot too. Those choppy games are no fun for anyone.

Interestingly, thanks to the slowdown from the lag, when I did Wesker's phantom dance, he actually says "mortals are so weak" during the start up, but in normal game speed the "weak" gets cut off but his other quote when the move actually starts ("you are nothing to me!"). Pretty funny how he cuts himself off every time, and under normal circumstances you wouldn't ever hear him say that. :lol

I was also leveling up my Spider-man today and found that the crawler assault hyper is actually pretty nice if you have an OTG assist. I think it does slightly more damage than maximum spider, which is awesome because it means this hyper actually has a purpose! Also I think I have the web swing BnB's down for training mode, but in an actual match I need more practice pulling that stuff off. Really fun character to play so far!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dreavus said:
Interestingly, thanks to the slowdown from the lag, when I did Wesker's phantom dance, he actually says "mortals are so weak" during the start up, but in normal game speed the "weak" gets cut off but his other quote when the move actually starts ("you are nothing to me!"). Pretty funny how he cuts himself off every time, and under normal circumstances you wouldn't ever hear him say that. :lol

Speaking of that, the fact that Wesker's "Mortals are so weak" line gets cut off just gets on my nerves every time. How the hell did that get through QA? :lol

Dreavus

Seraphis Cain said:
Speaking of that, the fact that Wesker's "Mortals are so weak" line gets cut off just gets on my nerves every time. How the hell did that get through QA? :lol

Yeah, it sure seems like a lazy cut. Super Skull's torpedo hyper gets cut off a little bit but at least he gets all of his lines in. For this one we're missing a whole word to the point where what he says doesn't really make sense! ><

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just went 7-0 against a guy online. I used Doom/X-23/Haggar against his Dante/Wolverine/Akuma. We were right about on the same skill level, so it was really fun. I think the only thing that gave me the edge was my Haggar training from yesterday. Loving Haggar so much lately. Actually really enjoying this whole team. Doom for zoning, X-23 for rushdown, and Haggar for the big damage.

AzureJericho said:
Richard N introduced the new Dante technology so of course Dante's gonna get a lot more exposure. Of course, it's not like he wasn't before though.

Edit: The best moment in this chat was when Lee started talking about money matching people at wiping their ass only to flip it on the Winter Brawl participants.

"From the smell of it, I know a bunch of people lost that game, where's my money?"

Classic. :lol

He did not introduce new Dante technology, Isedelica is the one who showed everyone all that wild fancy stuff, Richard is just incorporating some of those of combos in to his game

Full Metal Jacket said:
He did not introduce new Dante technology, Isedelica is the one who showed everyone all that wild fancy stuff, Richard is just incorporating some of those of combos in to his game
I'm sure other players would have figured them out eventually. A bunch of players probably did so concurrently.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing Dante my last couple of matches too. I normally dislike picking the guy everyone's picking, but he genuinely is one of my favorite characters. The amount of recognizable moves from DMC and the stylishness just make it hard not to pick him for me. On the other hand I will never touch Sentinel regardless of how good he is, because I think that's a way more boring character personally.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Btw how long does that morigan double super last, seems like it lasts forever and the only thing you can do is block. Any tips of blowing that up?

Damn I suck at this game... sf is looking mighty tempting, just seems to go against all my regular tactics and fighting fundamentals. Lol at getting blown up for pressing buttons while blocking!

I fully understand Gootecks... I think I'm getting blown up by scrubs using simple mode and mashing... lol at my suckage!

Edit: Oh yeah.. F*** air blocking, that just kills my anti-air game!

IntelliHeath said:
Edited: If anyone want to know what setting I used for custom matches;

Language: English
Region: Same

That how I do it. Also, put that in training mode and you will have a match within 30 seconds.

Moofers

Had a 14 win streak last night that would have been more like a 20 win streak if I hadn't been matched against so many damn quitters. Man its so frustrating. One guy even went to far as to send me hate mail after he quit on me. I told him "Just keep quitting games and telling yourself you're the best, dude." His record was 103W 8L and now I guess I know why. The worst part is that he was just a fucking beam spammer too. So frustrating.

I realize that I'm decent/slightly above average at this game, but I play it very old school. I guess with my Dante I chain specials together and rely heavily on those rather than getting in and performing launchers into air combos into character swaps (which I know builds meter). I also need to perform more advancing gaurd (again, building meter). Its hard to start doing that though when what I'm doing now seems to work 75% of the time.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I think a guy failed at quitting on me yesterday. Got a connection has been lost message almost right after I landed the last blow, but I still got the win. Still no hate messages, though I've only played like 25 matches in total, of which 10 ranked. Am I doing something wrong?

You mean Cap's X factor infinite?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7S4qbTvLWw

It may or may not loop out eventually, but the poster claims it goes forever.

I think a guy failed at quitting on me yesterday. Got a connection has been lost message almost right after I landed the last blow, but I still got the win. Still no hate messages, though I've only played like 25 matches in total, of which 10 ranked. Am I doing something wrong?
I'm like 150-30 ranked with a keepaway team and have only received three or four hatemail, six or seven ragequits. I think people just exaggerate. I've even received a good dozen "lovemails" complimenting me.

Moofers

Karsticles said:
I'm like 150-30 ranked with a keepaway team and have only received three or four hatemail, six or seven ragequits. I think people just exaggerate. I've even received a good dozen "lovemails" complimenting me.

I didn't exaggerate. I had abut 5 rage quits last night in about 2 hours of play time, robbing me of much deserved rank wins. And of my 50 or so ranked games on PSN, I've only got 1 "lovemail" message. Just one. And on XBL I've got maybe like 4 or 5 lovemails over the course of 70-some matches.

Nils said:

More sentinel, more phoenix.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Karsticles said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7S4qbTvLWw

It may or may not loop out eventually, but the poster claims it goes forever.

I'm pretty sure I fought you the other day. You happen to use Phoenix with the "fire TK Shots from the upper corner of the screen" strategy? If so, GGs. Even though I'm sure I was raging at the time. :lol

So is there any patch planned for the dodgy (especially PS3) ranked matchmaking? Never matches up with similar rank for me, there is no way of knowing the connection reliability of who you're about to fight (it just goes straight to character select...really? Why are we de-evolving from BB/SFIV lobby setup?).

edit: Also, if they do add Venom, it better be MVC2 Venom...not that human commando shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom