• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor210

I would just love for Tron to get some frames of vulnerability right before she spits out fire. Then it wouldn't be as braindead as it is right now

Neki

Razor210 said:
I would just love for Tron to get some frames of vulnerability right before she spits out fire. Then it wouldn't be as braindead as it is right now
go tell that to haggar. :O

DR2K

Banned
Razor210 said:

Don't rush down against the assist, time your rush down for when the assist leaves, etc. . . it's pretty easy to get by considering it has no range.

Razor210

DR2K said:
Don't rush down against the assist, time your rush down for when the assist leaves, etc. . . it's pretty easy to get by considering it has no range.
I know, I know...Sepiroth was blowing me up using that assist in conjunction with MODOK. Real easy to get in a rhythm and forget that ignoring Tron = losing your character

I don't think that the assist would even lose that much by actually being vulnerable - it means that if I get an overhead, for example, and the opponent mashes out Tron before I hit, it just means that Tron gets blown up for a reckless assist call. Of the big 3 "get off me" assists - Hulk, Haggar and Tron - Tron is the easiest to use since its 99% invulnerable, it hits a crouching opponent, doesn't lose life for using, and is real easy to keep safe due to the fact it keeps the opponent in blockstun while she gets off screen. Hulk only gets super armour and is a lot harder to cover, and Haggar loses life and whiffs on a crouching opponent.

I'm not really that mad about it - I just think Tron would be a bit more balanced if she could be hit the instant before she spits fire.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Int3rsect said:
Anyone have any tips on how to use iron man? I've gotten most of his basic bnb's down, but just not sure on how to approach him yet.
Tri-dashing into down C into cr.M into S is your friend, L. Unibeam for zoning, and an AA assist helps. Though really, remember to scare/catch opponents with a Repulsar Blast, which is an easy setup into Iron Avenger or Proton Cannon.

Neki

DarkoMaledictus said:
Is there a reason why there are no viper players? Her mixup and crazy speed can really blow up defenses!
Execution needed to perform her combos is extremely high, a lot of characters do rush down equally as good with a lot less execution needed, and they have a lot more leeway to do it too. She is also squishy as hell and meter intensive. It'll be a while before people figure her out. Then again, people in Marvel 2 thought Iceman was top tier, lol.

also, iron man has the worst launcher in the game, what was Capcom thinking? The fact that it whiffs standing in a combo most of the time is hilariously bad. -_-

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ultimoo said:
Execution needed to perform her combos is extremely high, a lot of characters do rush down equally as good with a lot less execution needed, and they have a lot more leeway to do it too. She is also squishy as hell and meter intensive. It'll be a while before people figure her out. Then again, people in Marvel 2 thought Iceman was top tier, lol.

also, iron man has the worst launcher in the game, what was Capcom thinking? The fact that it whiffs standing most of the time is hilariously bad. -_-
Seriously, this launcher combined with lag/latency online just makes him whiff EVERY BnB. And then you get blown up. Still not giving him up though, despite minimal synergy with my ever-changing team. Never give up hope!

Solune

Ultimoo said:
also, iron man has the worst launcher in the game, what was Capcom thinking? The fact that it whiffs standing in a combo most of the time is hilariously bad. -_-
Also Crouch.H. Most useless normal in the game quite possibly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Solune said:
Also Crouch.H. Most useless normal in the game quite possibly.
You wouldn't believe how many people fall for random cr.C's, trying to do overheads, or trying to get close.

Though yeah, mostly pointless for actual comboing purposes.

Solune

enzo_gt said:
You wouldn't believe how many people fall for random cr.C's, trying to do overheads, or trying to get close.

Though yeah, mostly pointless for actual comboing purposes.
I wouldn't be surprised actually :lol. It's more the fact that your 700k BnB combo suddenly becomes 100k. And also for some reason they decided to not make it special OR super cancellable and only Team Super Cancellable. Does it even OTG? nevermind I'm just hurting my brain thinking about how bad this move is

Neki

crouch h on iron man is for trolling, you guys should know that. iron man does get to rape with repulsor blast though, anyone who tries attacking you from the air / dashing in always gets raped by it. best anti-air in the game imo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Solune said:
I wouldn't be surprised actually :lol. It's more the fact that your 700k BnB combo suddenly becomes 100k. And also for some reason they decided to not make it special OR super cancellable and only Team Super Cancellable. Does it even OTG? nevermind I'm just hurting my brain thinking about how bad this move is
I don't know if it's possible to line up an OTG setup 3/4 of the way across the screen :lol

God's Beard said:
Don't forget MODOK's crouch L :)
Thisi is by far the most hilarious move in the game when done in the air.

Yeah, X-23 has been a staple but deadpool and ironman are new to my team since 2 weeks ago. I've been juggling a lot of teams to try to find the one that matched me.
I hate having to do this while facing off against people who have used their teams since day 1... Ugh, so difficult to be happy with the characters we were given.

You mean when the input asks for down down button, I can do down, down + button and it comes out the same? ;o That'd be so helpful if true. :O
This is how you're supposed to input the move.

How do I kill Dormammu?

With Zero/Ammy/??? or just in general
Realize that if Dormammu is controlling the fight, you are losing. If you are defensive for even a moment, you are failing. Constant, yet safe, pressure.

His teleport is not the fastest, you can relyably punish on reaction.
I get so tired of hearing this. His teleport has the same startup and recovery as every other teleport in the game.

Could one of you guys at least please invite me to the PS3 GAF chat, if you get a chance thanks.
Send me a friend request and I will. PSN is Karsticles.

Dahbomb

Iron Man is the only character who you pretty much need to do a special move before doing his launcher, it's that shitty.

You have to do cr. L, cr.M, st.H Repulsar Blast, S. Repulsar pulls them in and puts it at a height that you can launch with. Or you can just tri dash in and try to launch after cr.M if the spacing is right. Normally you should just fish with the Repulsar as much as you can, it's probably his best move.

I have been saying this day 1, Iron Man has issues on his launcher and his cr.H is the most retarded thing in the game.

Dahbomb

I am thinking of buying MK9 but is the combat engine good?

Last MK I enjoyed was UMK3 (MK Trilogy) because of the hilariously overpowered roster and touch of death combos. Game hasn't been the same since it went 3D, pretty much one bad game after the next. Since it went back to 2D I hoped that the combat is good now and they pretty much keeping the roster to the UMK3 veterans.

What says Marvel-GAF? Also online play is irrelevant to me and so is the "story". MK story is laughable at best, I don't understand the people in the MK thread saying this game has a good story mode or whatever. Maybe they mean the content...

Grifter

MK's story has a huge following. Makes me scratch my head but I knew a dude who posted on SF canon threads and that's even worse. I played it vs. some friends last night and I'd sum it up as mostly resembling MK3 in feel - move properties, stiffness, dial-a-combo, etc. Also reminded me of a worse controlling Tekken, which I'm guessing is what the 3D versions play like.

When Dante's at full screen distance, what can he threaten with besides TP, super and air fireball and, rarely, rockets? I'm probably forgetting 10 moves.

I am thinking of buying MK9 but is the combat engine good?

Last MK I enjoyed was UMK3 (MK Trilogy) because of the hilariously overpowered roster and touch of death combos. Game hasn't been the same since it went 3D, pretty much one bad game after the next. Since it went back to 2D I hoped that the combat is good now and they pretty much keeping the roster to the UMK3 veterans.

What says Marvel-GAF? Also online play is irrelevant to me and so is the "story". MK story is laughable at best, I don't understand the people in the MK thread saying this game has a good story mode or whatever. Maybe they mean the content...
Download the demo. I don't want to go on a rant about how awful the game feels, so I'll just encourage you to experience it yourself.

Dahbomb

Grifter said:
When Dante's at full screen distance, what can he threaten with besides TP, super and air fireball and, rarely, rockets? I'm probably forgetting 10 moves.
*Hysteric missiles - Tracks location
*Grapple - Can use to start a combo
*Teleport
*Artemis Multilock, charged or uncharged. Charged version does insane damage and tracks but long to charge and he can't really do much with it unlike Zero's charge
*Fireworks (well not really full screen but it covers a large portion of the screen)
*Weasel Shot/Charged Shots
*LVL3 Hyper and Stinger ~ Bold cancel ~ Volcano cover about 3/4th screen which is pretty fucking insane. You would be surprised at the range that Dante can hit confirm into a combo using Stinger + Bold cancel.
*Air Guitar, charged version too but they both come out really slow
*LVL 1 hyper although it's stupid to use that raw
*Killer Bee although you should see it coming a mile away
*Jet Stream - Dante moves across the floor but no one is going to use it as a full screen punish because it has slow start up and is super punishable unless he cancels into Fireworks
*Air Raid. Probably his most devastating and reliable full screen attack but he has to be in DT to access this.
*Drive

He has more moves that can make him cover at least half screen or more (like Vortex). Even his normals cover so much space. Even with all these tools at his disposal to play a semi-zoning game, no one does it with Dante because he is all about the rushdown. Dante is always itching to land a combo on you, he doesn't want to play lame.

Neki

Karsticles said:
Download the demo. I don't want to go on a rant about how awful the game feels, so I'll just encourage you to experience it yourself.
Everyone loves dialing combos in though. D:

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Grifter said:

He can do Grapple Hook, Multilock, or Drive (completely worthless). He can also Killerbee, if he jumps and isn't FULL screen away (mostly unsafe). He can also cancel standing H into Twosome Time. The moves you listed are the better options, though.

Dahbomb

How much is the MK demo download? But I heard the demo is hella broken and unbalanced which is why I didn't bother with it. Plus it like features 2 characters? I wanna play with fucking Smoke and N00b Saibot.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dahbomb said:
How much is the MK demo download? But I heard the demo is hella broken and unbalanced which is why I didn't bother with it. Plus it like features 2 characters? I wanna play with fucking Smoke and N00b Saibot.

That's what buying the game is for. :p

There are four characters and a small ladder. The combat system is weird. I've never really been into Mortal Kombat, so it's a learning process for me.

The fact that there's dial a combo/buffering, but also juggle/canceling offers a strange combination of unresponsiveness and strict timing (not really strict, just cancel timing)... for example, you dial a combo with a character, and it doesn't matter how fast you press it, the combo will come out. Which means that the character will continue to hit when you're not pressing buttons. But you need to cancel those those moves with a command normal and dash cancel into a special... or maybe into another dial a combo... and that will require timing.

Dahbomb said:
The MK demo is free like most demos (this isn't dissidia lol)

hitsugi

basically if you're familiar with MK3 you'll have a feel for 9 but it's still very strange. If you aren't experienced at all with MK.. Well it's just going to be a very strange learning process.

Believe it or not, this is not among my issues with the game.

4 characters, and I don't remember the demo size. Yeah, some things have been changed since the demo (like being able to infinite by spamming standing punch, LOL), but it's not like you have a new engine. Think of it was TGS build vs full copy MvC3. Yes, there are plenty of changes, but it's not like you'd play TGS, love MvC3, and then hate the full game. It's still the same game.

I broke down and bought MK yesterday.
This is almost as bad as you wanting Sentinel's health to be nerfed.

basically if you're familiar with MK3 you'll have a feel for 9 but it's still very strange. If you aren't experienced at all with MK.. Well it's just going to be a very strange learning process.
Even having played UMK3 for years as a kid, I had to relearn a lot (except for Scorpion's inputs, I'll remember those forever). The most irritating thing is having to tap directions instead of having fluid motions like QCF. I think the game is actually harder on a stick than a pad.

Karsticles said:
I get so tired of hearing this. His teleport has the same startup and recovery as every other teleport in the game.

Teleports are hard to gauge... I'm not sure how the frame data works for them, because it says Wesker has the slowest teleport in the game, and Dorm and Phoenix are the same(phoenix starts up faster, recovers slower).

Ultimoo said:

I like dial combos more than chains. Reminds me of the good times with Virtua Fighter.

Teleports are hard to gauge... I'm not sure how the frame data works for them, because it says Wesker has the slowest teleport in the game, and Dorm and Phoenix are the same(phoenix starts up faster, recovers slower).
Phoenix's just seems faster to most people because she's usually in level 3 X-Factor when you see it happening, which gives her a speed boost, which reduces the startup and recovery. Yeah, Phoenix's is 3 frames faster on startup than Dormammu's, 3 frames slower recovery.

Honestly, if they dropped the speed boosts from X-Factor, it would solve a lot of problems in the game right now. Such a terrible idea.

Wesker's all have slightly different startup and recovery, but it's still within the same range (29 frames to 33 frames total, I think). Not really noteworthy.

Karsticles said:
Phoenix's just seems faster to most people because she's usually in level 3 X-Factor when you see it happening, which gives her a speed boost, which reduces the startup and recovery. Yeah, Phoenix's is 3 frames faster on startup than Dormammu's, 3 frames slower recovery.

Honestly, if they dropped the speed boosts from X-Factor, it would solve a lot of problems in the game right now. Such a terrible idea.

Wesker's all have slightly different startup and recovery, but it's still within the same range (29 frames to 33 frames total, I think). Not really noteworthy.
I play phoenix and dormammu, and phoenix's seems visibly faster. Maybe it's just the suddenness of the animation?

Neki

I wouldn't see why they'd translate.

I'd be so happy if speed was removed on XF, messes up so many combos usually. sometimes you get awesome better combos in XF because of the speed, but that's so much more situational. >_>

I don't care much about the speed boost, I use lvl 2 x-factor more than lvl 3 anyway, since Thor has the best lvl 2 in the game and his combos drop in lvl 3 and he really likes having an assist anyway.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
_dementia said:
As a Marvel fan, how are you liking it?
It feels more akin to a single plane version of soul calibur. The feel is more like a 3d game than a 2d game in that respect

I really like the game though. Best Mortal Kombat in a long time.

_dementia said:
Kinda off topic, but since we were talking about MK anyway, FADC posted some footage of EMP killers playing MK9. Looks like Marvel and SF skill doesn't easily translate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnJ0Fzgfjs&feature=channel_video_title
(yipes first-person commentary)
SF skills never translated well to MK. Having block on a button is a huge deal. Also MK always was dial a combo instead of cancels or links.

What bothers me most about Mortal Kombat are the universal jumps and the lack of cross ups. It just feels weird. and seemingly? universal walk speed. That and the fact that there's basically no footsies despite being a 1v1 game. It's definitely more like virtua fighter or soul calibur in that the speed and angle of your moves are more important than the range. No low forward fireballs to punish the sweep in that game.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
God's Beard said:
What bothers me most about Mortal Kombat are the universal jumps and the lack of cross ups. It just feels weird. and seemingly? universal walk speed. That and the fact that there's basically no footsies despite being a 1v1 game. It's definitely more like virtua fighter or soul calibur in that the speed and angle of your moves are more important than the range. No low forward fireballs to punish the sweep in that game.
Summary: It is not street fighter. Definitely a different monster.

Now that both of the games are probably going to be in the limelight I wonder what the chances are of a SF vs. MK (I know probably not likely at all)

MThanded said:
Summary: It is not street fighter. Definitely a different monster.

Now that both of the games are probably going to be in the limelight I wonder what the chances are of a SF vs. MK (I know probably not likely at all)

Never say never. I thought that Tekken vs SF would never be possible.

Dahbomb

SF x MK seems more obvious than SF x Tekken or MK vs DC. SF and MK both at least started their origin as 2D games and have continued that fighting engine. Both games have characters that can throw fireballs and do other fancy tricks that take advantage of the 2D plane.

Fatalities are a bit different issue. Would love to see Guile Sonic Hurricane someone and it rips them in pieces.

Grecco

I really dont want a SF vs MK. Keep them seperate plz.

If anything, Id love to see Capcom go to DC and get that licence (Should be available) and make Marvel vs Capcom vs DC.

Dahbomb

Dash assist trick

A little video explaining the momentum from the character on point dashing transfers over to the assist as well, extending the range of assists and useful for characters who can't OTG.

I am sure most of you guys knew this but still putting it out there for those who are new to this. It's a pretty tricky mechanic to get a grasp of and one you sort of only pick up from lots of experimentation with timing for combos + assists.

Alucrid

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Dash assist trick

A little video explaining the momentum from the character on point dashing transfers over to the assist as well, extending the range of assists and useful for characters who can't OTG.

I am sure most of you guys knew this but still putting it out there for those who are new to this. It's a pretty tricky mechanic to get a grasp of and one you sort of only pick up from lots of experimentation with timing for combos + assists.

Wait, so you just wave dash and press the assist button at the same time?

Dahbomb

Just dash (the 2 button method, not forward, forward) + assist. It's not really a "trick" or anything.

Though I normally press assist a bit later and it still works but yeah it is true that if you press an assist before dashing in he ends up behind you. Assist comes in relation to the point character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom