• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa whoa whoa, lets not go crazy with the "Bayonetta is the peak of the action genre" business. It's a great Devil May Cry game, and it's one of the few good action games this gen, but come on.

1. Ninja Gaiden Black - smoothest battle system, smartest enemies
  2. God Hand - most creative, brilliant evasion system
  3. DMC1 - DMD Shadows, son
  4. Bayonetta - DMC3 1.5 with the best ice skates in a video game
  5. DMC3SE - Real time weapon switching, mostly great bosses

Whoa whoa whoa, lets not go crazy with the "Bayonetta is the peak of the action genre" business. It's a great Devil May Cry game, and it's one of the few good action games this gen, but come on.

1) I thought the camera angles were really frustratingly bad in this game. Bayonetta also has some camera issues, but it seems as though the AI doesn't attack you unless it's on-screen.

2) I think part of Bayonetta's excellence is the variation in weapon options. Ice skates, rocket launchers, bullet nunchucks, laser guns, claws, a whip, and the angel weapons. There's so much style to choose from in Bayonetta - I could never stick with anything just because there were so many styles to tinker with.

3-5) I hear a lot of people bicker over DMC1 vs DMC3...

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
God's Beard said:

This gen it is. If I was making a list, Viewtiful Joe 1 would probably be Numero Uno.

NG Black is easily up there, but stuff like it's horrible camera, ghost fish, and terrible last boss keep me from putting it anywhere near number one, battle system or not. The enemies are dope tho.

DMC3: SE has the worst regular enemies known to man. They wake up to add points to Dante's combo meter and nothing else. They aren't smart in the slightest, and even when they DT their health just gets larger and they take more time to kill. Wasn't an issue in DMC 1. No amount of weapon switching can keep me from thinking it's just a boss rush game. DMC 1 didn't have that issue.... >.>

God Hand is probably one of my GOATs of the Genre. lol. Clover was so good.

I would definitely put Onimusha on an action tier list too tho.

Honestly tho, the only thing that was missing from Bayonetta was the atmosphere from something like DMC1 and maybe a level system from GH. It does everything else as good, if not better than the old ones.

Oldschoolgamer said:
This gen it is. If I was making a list, Viewtiful Joe 1 would probably be Numero Uno.

NG Black is easily up there, but stuff like it's horrible camera, ghost fish, and terrible last boss keep me from putting it anywhere near number one, battle system or not. The enemies are dope tho.

DMC3: SE has the worst regular enemies known to man. They wake up to add points to Dante's combo meter and nothing else. They aren't smart in the slightest, and even when they DT their health just gets larger and they take more time to kill. Wasn't an issue in DMC 1. No amount of weapon switching can keep me from thinking it's just a boss rush game. DMC 1 didn't have that issue.... >.>

I get the same feeling from Bayonetta. The only part where I felt like I was really having fun was the secret boss, which redeemed the rest of the game for me.

I don't know about Onimusha and Viewtiful Joe, though, they were more like creative beat 'em ups than the sort of action game we're talking about. Loosen up too much and we'll have to include Ikaruga.

Karsticles said:
1) I thought the camera angles were really frustratingly bad in this game. Bayonetta also has some camera issues, but it seems as though the AI doesn't attack you unless it's on-screen.

2) I think part of Bayonetta's excellence is the variation in weapon options. Ice skates, rocket launchers, bullet nunchucks, laser guns, claws, a whip, and the angel weapons. There's so much style to choose from in Bayonetta - I could never stick with anything just because there were so many styles to tinker with.

3-5) I hear a lot of people bicker over DMC1 vs DMC3...
  1. I never had a problem with the camera once. then again, I did beat NG1 and 2 on Master Ninja, so I'm pretty comfortable with the system.
  2. That's why Bayonetta is DMC3 1.5. Slightly better normal enemies, slightly worse bosses.
  3. I like DMC1 better because it had normal enemies that fought back, which is something only Ninja Gaiden has in spades.

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:

Well in this generation it's easily the best. Comparing Bayonetta to games that were on the PS2 is an unfair comparison because even with all the stuff that Dante had in DMC3SE, he was bogged down by RAM issues so he couldn't have on the fly style switch (something that was rectified in DMC4 because of superior hardware). I can definitely agree on that top 5 list (not in any particular order though).

The fact that Bayonetta is DMC3.5 is compliment enough.

Also Tokido playing a MVC3 team WITHOUT AKUMA? And it has PHOENIX in it? DO NOT WANT!!!

If it was an insult the game wouldn't be on the list. Also, who gives a shit about Dante? I think we both agree that Vergil was the main character in that game.

Dahbomb

Like I said before, with all the stuff that Dante has in DMC3SE (6 styles, 10 weapons, undefined number of moves) he can still barely keep up with Vergil's highly effective method of fighting style. Substance over Style when it comes to Vergil.

When Vergil has Summoned Swords spinning around him while Devil Triggered, Dante cannot rush him down and can either run away like a pansy or UNLEASH THE BEAST with Royal Guard parries which only a handful number of people know how to just parry Vergil's Summoned Swords. Vergil's only problem was that he was controlled by an AI, it becomes really clear how powerful he is when you get control of him.

MVC3 Singles Top 8 start at 5 PM EST. Going to play Portal 2 until then.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
God's Beard said:
I don't know about Onimusha and Viewtiful Joe, though, they were more like creative beat 'em ups than the sort of action game we're talking about. Loosen up too much and we'll have to include Ikaruga.

Onimusha is easily an action game in the same category of the others. It was doing the parry shit way before DMC3 and UT type stuff before NG. If anything, GH wouldn't be included, because it is a straight beat'em up by definition.

VJ is a 2D DMC.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Onimusha is easily an action game in the same category of the others. It was doing the parry shit way before DMC3 and UT type stuff before NG. If anything, GH wouldn't be included, because it is a straight beat'em up by definition.
Sure, but I mean the enemies didn't really fight back like they did starting with DMC1.

I have Joe, but I guess the whoile 2d thing makes it hard for me to think of the game like that instead of comparing it to Strider or Streets of Rage or something.

Dahbomb

LOL @ the Wolverine bandwagoning at PowerUp tournament.

Wolverine is NOT the best character in the game. If the criteria for best character in the game is that he can do 600K+ BnB without an assist then there are like 25+ other characters who are the best in the game.

What makes him powerful is that when he is paired with a lockdown assist, he becomes scary as fuck because he makes you guess like 2-3 times and each of those mix ups leads to at least half life. Block low? Instant overhead. Block high? Low attack. Jump block? Throw into assist into air combo. Block straight? Berserker Slash into assist catch or Berserker Charge combo. Block behind? Hit from front. A very similar mix up comes up when a character is coming in because if they press a button -> high priority Drill Claw into combo. If they guess this right and not get air thrown, they will get pinned down in the corner with the assist and now Wolverine will start his ground mix up.

One more thing is that in the air Wolverine has the option select of f+H which leads to j.H, Drill Claw, Dive Kick or Air throw. Oh and high priority on Drill Claw and Dive Kick.

But all this stuff was figured out like day 3 of Wolverine and like no progress has been made in his game plan since then. After that it was Wolverine plus DHC glitch.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
Sure, but I mean the enemies didn't really fight back like they did starting with DMC1.

I have Joe, but I guess the whoile 2d thing makes it hard for me to think of the game like that instead of comparing it to Strider or Streets of Rage or something.
Strider is an action game, streets of rage is a beat em up.

God Hand is more of a beat em up than an action game. Joe is a straight up old school style action game.

You can't bandwagon an already popular character that gets played a fuck ton o.o *wolverine*

Dahbomb

It's not the "Wolverine is really good in this game and really easy to play" bandwagon that has been known for quite some time... it's the "Wolverine is far and away the best character in the game" bandwagon and this is coming from like "top tier" players of the game.

Really funny when they were talking about it on the stream and Wolverine was on "Yeah Wolverine is the best character in the game, watch him destroy this team" and as soon as the sentence finished Trish killed off Wolverine in one combo.

It's really more like just Noel Brown making a big fuss about it. I really hope he was kidding about Floe jumping the bandwagon as well because his team is already more than equipped to handle Phoenix and Wolverine (not even saying that Wolverine is comparable to Phoenix).

Another funny thing came from this tournament... characters that people were snapping back against.

Phoenix, Tron Bonne (these 2 were expected) and Super Skrull. Especially that one guy's Super Skrull on anchor, people were using X Factor early to kill his Skrull off.

smurfx

get some go again
Dahbomb said:
It's not the "Wolverine is really good in this game and really easy to play" bandwagon that has been known for quite some time... it's the "Wolverine is far and away the best character in the game" bandwagon and this is coming from like "top tier" players of the game.

Really funny when they were talking about it on the stream and Wolverine was on "Yeah Wolverine is the best character in the game, watch him destroy this team" and as soon as the sentence finished Trish killed off Wolverine in one combo.

It's really more like just Noel Brown making a big fuss about it. I really hope he was kidding about Floe jumping the bandwagon as well because his team is already more than equipped to handle Phoenix and Wolverine (not even saying that Wolverine is comparable to Phoenix).

Another funny thing came from this tournament... characters that people were snapping back against.

Phoenix, Tron Bonne (these 2 were expected) and Super Skrull. Especially that one guy's Super Skrull on anchor, people were using X Factor early to kill his Skrull off.
one on one i can handle wolverine but when paired with sentinels assist it becomes hard because those stupid drones make it hard to run around effectively and if you have to block the drones you are pretty much fucked. add to the fact that a lot of wolverines attacks go through many of your powerful attacks and it make it hard to beat him if the user is good.

Dahbomb

Yeah that is definitely very annoying but my point was that if you give something like Sentinel Drones to a lot of characters they become scary as well.

Zero, Magneto, Storm, She Hulk, Super Skrull, Amaterasu, Dormammu, Dante, Phoenix, Wesker... even Haggar or Hulk.

That is not a criteria to say "Wolverine is the best".

Nose Master

smurfx said:
one on one i can handle wolverine but when paired with sentinels assist it becomes hard because those stupid drones make it hard to run around effectively and if you have to block the drones you are pretty much fucked. add to the fact that a lot of wolverines attacks go through many of your powerful attacks and it make it hard to beat him if the user is good.

Just keep in mind that more or less every special in the game Wolverine has is punishable on block. (Drill claw if cancelled into dive kick is still a free throw if blocked.) He cant be using an assist to cover himself *every* time, or berserker charging.

kitzkozan

WTH, Noel Brown has been leveling up like crazy for some reason. Perhaps he draw his power from the heel heat he's receiving. :p Or it might be Wolverine factor, as I'm seeing him way more than usual in high level play. Some are saying he's the best character in the game, but I'm wondering why that might be even close to true?

Dahbomb

Noel was just using X Factor really early to kill the main point character. That strategy blew him up when he was up against teams that had all 3 characters that were good, like Floe's team of She Hulk/Dante/Dormammu. He got blown up by Dormammu reverse OCV 3 times in the grand finals.

His teams are scrubbish as hell, he only got to Grand finals because JWong clearly sand bags the losers final. Once I saw Justin Wong missing day 1 Tron combos, hitting Tenderizers with Super Skrull and using Phoenix on point, I knew he wasn't going to win this.

At least some nice new technology came out of the matches like that She Hulk reset.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Dahbomb said:
Noel was just using X Factor really early to kill the main point character. That strategy blew him up when he was up against teams that had all 3 characters that were good, like Floe's team of She Hulk/Dante/Dormammu. He got blown up by Dormammu reverse OCV 3 times in the grand finals.

His teams are scrubbish as hell, he only got to Grand finals because JWong clearly sand bags the losers final. Once I saw Justin Wong missing day 1 Tron combos, hitting Tenderizers with Super Skrull and using Phoenix on point, I knew he wasn't going to win this.

At least some nice new technology came out of the matches like that She Hulk reset.

I'm curious to see what jwong is hiding behind the sand bagging, just another reason to be excited for evo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:

Not to mention he IS just using a slightly modified version of Justin's original team, with a lot of the same setups and BnBs that Justin brought to the forefront.

hitsugi

jdub03 said:
Anybody know what I could be doing wrong. I always miss the hyper grav L after the air dash down, air H, standing H.

I replied to this question a while ago.. you're probably hitting the standing H when the opponent is already too low. You want to end up somewhat under them when you hit them with the stand H.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O9gmV7wRb4&t=1m15s

vid reference; perhaps hearing button taps will help you out.

Whether you jump straight up / down, diagonally forward or back doesn't really matter as it can be done jumping in any direction, but I would suggest trying every combination out to see which one works best for you. While the timing would be the same, sometimes it's easier to jump back and dash down-forward, etc.

there are also timing / distance variations on the initial set up for Mag's ROM loop in there as well as a couple of wesker bnbs

jdub03

hitsugi said:
I replied to this question a while ago.. you're probably hitting the standing H when the opponent is already too low. You want to end up somewhat under them when you hit them with the stand H.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O9gmV7wRb4&t=1m15s

vid reference; perhaps hearing button taps will help you out.

Whether you jump straight up / down, diagonally forward or back doesn't really matter as it can be done jumping in any direction, but I would suggest trying every combination out to see which one works best for you. While the timing would be the same, sometimes it's easier to jump back and dash down-forward, etc.

there are also timing / distance variations on the initial set up for Mag's ROM loop in there as well as a couple of wesker bnbs

Thanks. Right now I'm trying to hit it after one rep of the magnetic blast loop. I just got to the point where I can hit the opponent after the grav L but couldn't finish the rest of the combo I'll watch this vid and try to get a feel for the timing.

Grecco

Dahbomb said:
LOL @ the Wolverine bandwagoning at PowerUp tournament.

Wolverine is NOT the best character in the game. If the criteria for best character in the game is that he can do 600K+ BnB without an assist then there are like 25+ other characters who are the best in the game.

What makes him powerful is that when he is paired with a lockdown assist, he becomes scary as fuck because he makes you guess like 2-3 times and each of those mix ups leads to at least half life. Block low? Instant overhead. Block high? Low attack. Jump block? Throw into assist into air combo. Block straight? Berserker Slash into assist catch or Berserker Charge combo. Block behind? Hit from front. A very similar mix up comes up when a character is coming in because if they press a button -> high priority Drill Claw into combo. If they guess this right and not get air thrown, they will get pinned down in the corner with the assist and now Wolverine will start his ground mix up.

One more thing is that in the air Wolverine has the option select of f+H which leads to j.H, Drill Claw, Dive Kick or Air throw. Oh and high priority on Drill Claw and Dive Kick.

But all this stuff was figured out like day 3 of Wolverine and like no progress has been made in his game plan since then. After that it was Wolverine plus DHC glitch.

Yeah the Wolverine bandwagon is hilarious (And kind of disapointing to see how all the pros jumped on so quickly) It makes some of their play one dimensional. Kill Justins Wolverine and its pretty much game unless you fuck up, same with PR Balrog. Theres better characters and better teams.

Alucrid

Banned
Bayonetta? What? Did someone say that she should be in this game again?

Grecco said:
Yeah the Wolverine bandwagon is hilarious (And kind of disapointing to see how all the pros jumped on so quickly) It makes some of their play one dimensional. Kill Justins Wolverine and its pretty much game unless you fuck up, same with PR Balrog. Theres better characters and better teams.

At least Gootecks stayed loyal to him.

LakeEarth

No matter how good the character is, having such low health that you can be taken down in one combo with a DHC or two (850k or less) is a liability in the team. Pheonix is different though, cause she has a combo breaker.

That being said, if you can't get that hit, Wolvie fucks your shit. Last week I got weapon-x'd 3 times in one match.

Teknoman

Good lord. Take a break from MvC 3 for awhile and then get massacred online :p Either run into spammers or people that just 100% obliterate me. Guess I better get some more pratice in...especially since im getting into some crazy pincer assist traps.

LakeEarth said:
No matter how good the character is, having such low health that you can be taken down in one combo with a DHC or two (850k or less) is a liability in the team. Pheonix is different though, cause she has a combo breaker.

That being said, if you can't get that hit, Wolvie fucks your shit. Last week I got weapon-x'd 3 times in one match.
Every character in the game can be killed by the DHC glitch no problem. I think health matters more for assist vitality and chip.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Teknoman said:
Good lord. Take a break from MvC 3 for awhile and then get massacred online :p Either run into spammers or people that just 100% obliterate me. Guess I better get some more pratice in...especially since im getting into some crazy pincer assist traps.

Same here, LOL.

Teknoman

Lyte Edge said:
Same here, LOL.

Thats the only thing I dont like about liking multiple fighting games, I get good at one, decide to jump in another and get my ass stomped. Going to have to make sure to evenly rotate this, MK, and SSFIV AE.

That and I need to learn how to get in close with Chris.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Karsticles said:
You have an odd team. I feel like Felicia is kind of out there by herself.
Taskmaster likes a low assist. Felicia likes a projectile assist. Morrigan is the 5th wheel but makes a good XF3 closer. If anything, I need good defensive options that don't require meter. JWong demonstrated how badly I get fucked up by solid rushdown.

Solune

Teknoman said:
Thats the only thing I dont like about liking multiple fighting games, I get good at one, decide to jump in another and get my ass stomped. Going to have to make sure to evenly rotate this, MK, and SSFIV AE.

That and I need to learn how to get in close with Chris.
You don't really want to get in close with Chris though, he is best played by having the opponent come to you. His best tools in your opponents face are Shotgun when jumping in(This scales your combo damage massively though), or block string into mines, as that's pretty safe.

Neki

Sixfortyfive said:
Taskmaster likes a low assist. Felicia likes a projectile assist. Morrigan is the 5th wheel but makes a good XF3 closer. If anything, I need good defensive options that don't require meter. JWong demonstrated how badly I get fucked up by solid rushdown.
Tron/Dante/Haggar assist are good defensively. :O

Teknoman

Solune said:
You don't really want to get in close with Chris though, he is best played by having the opponent come to you. His best tools in your opponents face are Shotgun when jumping in(This scales your combo damage massively though), or block string into mines, as that's pretty safe.

Oh thats my problem then. I keep trying to catch people with combination blows and the stun rod/shotgun + smg. Thanks for the heads up, going to give that strategy a shot tomorrow.

Bayonetta? What? Did someone say that she should be in this game again?
No, but if we had a guest character, she would be my #1 pick.

She might be the guest character in the next Soul Calibur.
Wishful thinking or...?

That's kind of my point though - your team is constructed on the assumption that Taskmaster will still be around when Felicia comes in. It's very likely (as we witnessed) that Felicia will come in because Taskmaster gets downed, and then she's entirely alone. I don't think it's a good idea to construct a team on the assumption that you'll have your point character around to assist your secondary character.

Grecco

Judging from his recent tweets, (And the fact that Wong pulled that dance macabre into dhc glitch yesterday) i get the feeling Justin Wong will be using Dante at Evo.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Newbie Question:

What is the "rule" for the timing on using an assist OTG attack after an Aerial Combo?

I find that sometimes after my Air Magic series, if I try to use an Assist OTG it will come out too late, and it will miss. But other times it will hit OTG. What is the thing that I need to do to make this happen every time?

For example: With Wolverine, I use Deadpool OTG assist and sometimes it will connect after certain combos, but not others. And with Hulk I can usually get the Deadpool OTG to connect every time after an aerial combo. I don't understand why one works more consistently than the other.

Also, I haven't once been able to land the first bottle OTG attack as Arthur. I've seen it happen on combo videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom