• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually remember there being more Storms being around before people knew about the DHC glitch and Magneto getting figured out because of hail storm chip damage.

As much as I like the DHC glitch, I have to admit that it removes a lot of incentives for slower-paced chip and zone-style strategies when one hit will always lead to character death with no meter decisions.

If they patch it, I hope they keep the reduced hitstun decay and just give it normal damage scaling. That way 2-meter 1.3 million damage combos that leave you with 2 extra bars will turn into 8-900k combos, which is really closer to where it should be. Personally, I'm a fan of longer games, and think most fighting games should have 300 second timers and several times the character health, but balancing would become a nightmare when smaller differences in character strength become magnified.

jdub03

Teknopathetic said:
"I really wanna know what the statistics actually mean. What is stability? D:"

Winning consecutively.

The reason why all the "top ranking" players are Lords is simply because they win many games consecutively which is how they reached the top ranks to begin with, that's probably where a lot of people get the misconception that Lord is a higher rank than the others. That and the fact that lord implies superiority.

Dartastic dropped to Ranger because he played 3 times against a guy and won once, meaning he lost twice which put a dent in his stability.

I think stability is your ability to keep your team members alive. Stability takes a hit because you lose all your team members. I remember reading somewhere that that is what stability is.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Parallax Scroll said:
I ended up switching in Ryu during some lobby games and did pretty well with Ryu/Zero/Sent. Ryu can put on some pretty good pressure with repeated air Tatsu L and Sent drones to back him up. That's practically all I an do with Ryu though so people usually catch on after a few games. What else does Ryu have for mixups? I guess crouching L?

A better way to pressure is to call an assist then j.f+H cancel into Tatsu L. If they try and grab you'll tech and they will get hit with the assist If you get the air grab you can otg Shinkuu Hadoken.

kirblar

God's Beard said:
I actually remember there being more Storms being around before people knew about the DHC glitch and Magneto getting figured out because of hail storm chip damage.

As much as I like the DHC glitch, I have to admit that it removes a lot of incentives for slower-paced chip and zone-style strategies when one hit will always lead to character death with no meter decisions.

If they patch it, I hope they keep the reduced hitstun decay and just give it normal damage scaling. That way 2-meter 1.3 million damage combos that leave you with 2 extra bars will turn into 8-900k combos, which is really closer to where it should be. Personally, I'm a fan of longer games, and think most fighting games should have 300 second timers and several times the character health, but balancing would become a nightmare when smaller differences in character strength become magnified.
http://shoryuken.com/content/4050-marvel-vs-capcom-3-developer-blog-translation-street11/comments2.html

I wish I had the ability to test my hypothesis, but I think Storm's chip damage on Hailstorm got stealth-nerfed with the Sentinal HP patch.

Dahbomb

Grecco said:
Anyone know the exact shenanigans Justin uses with Wolverine and akuma when he kills the first character? To essentially also kill the seccond one? Is it berserker slash and tatsu when the seccond charater comes in?
LOL it's like 5-6 different mix ups he does when Akuma is on screen.

Mix Up#1: Match starts goes for air throw. Follows it up with d/f+M slide and Akuma assist into BnB combo (you should know by know what the Wolverine BnB is). Character ends up near corner and ready for more mix ups. This is actually just him pressing f+H + assist which is an option select. He can either get a throw or the jump H will lead into Drill Claw Dive kick for a combo (this happens if they are mashing or if Wolverine is just out of range for the throw) albeit a shorter one since he uses up the ground bounce early. If the throw is teched, Akuma option select assist will come out and keep the pressure going.

Mix Up#2: Match starts goes for lows. Goes into full combo that will usually take like 70-80% combo. Also ends with character in the corner for additional mix up.

Mix Up#3: Match starts and if the character is big like Sentinel goes for instant overhead (j.S Drill Claw) or if it's a smaller character just got for the light instant overhead with assist call in. If this connects with Akuma out this leads to a full BnB as well and character in the corner.

Mix Up#4: Match starts goes for immediate Berserker Slash with assist call out. This is an immediate right/left mix up. If he does this raw (without an assist) he will combine it with Berserker Charge which upon impacting will allow for a full combo. If it's blocked, Berserker Charge or assist will make it safe. If combo connects character will end up in the corner.

Mix Up#5: Match starts goes for ground throw. Same situation as Mix up#1.

Mix Up#6: This is something that happens if some reason the other player is able to read all the mix ups and JWong uses up his Berserker Charge/Akuma assist. Now he can't throw out an instant overhead (will not combo) or a Berserker Slash. He will go for a throw but since he used up the assist to set up the throw (because they were in block string and JWong caught them with the throw after the assist) he will go into immediate X Factor to make sure he kills the character on the throw catch. Wolverine needs an assist to follow up the throw and when he can't use the assist he has to X Factor.

Basically all these mix ups he can do when the character comes in. He can go for the j.L, into air throw or H -> Drill Claw -> Dive Kick if they come in mashing. If they read all of this (or if they tech the throw) the option select will cause the Akuma assist to come out and that will cause them to stay in the corner long enough for like 3-4 mix ups. Right/left Berserk Slash mix up (which in fact he can also do while the character is coming in and he will Berserker Charge that to follow up), overhead/low mix up or throw after the assist which he can X Factor to follow up.

JWong essentially kills the first character with any of the mix ups mentioned AT THE START OF THE GAME and get him into a combo. You will notice that he never kills the first character in one touch, just takes him to the corner. He then does a mix up with Akuma assist and kills character. Next character comes in, goes for air mix up... if they block or tech they will get mix ups on the ground. If JWong connects with a throw he will X Factor and that will kill the character and the last character coming in if he doesn't guess right will die too because X Factor is still on.

Dahbomb

kirblar said:
http://shoryuken.com/content/4050-marvel-vs-capcom-3-developer-blog-translation-street11/comments2.html

I wish I had the ability to test my hypothesis, but I think Storm's chip damage on Hailstorm got stealth-nerfed with the Sentinal HP patch.
It got nerfed for sure. I remember it doing way more damage before in X factor, like you would do 2-3 of those to a character on block and they would die. And that was like LVL1.

It probably did need to happen though, it felt out of proportion before. Now it seems "about right" for the boost it gets.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Also shout outs to people finally realizing iron man's jump M is godlike, although if you used him for more than 5 seconds it's obvious as hell.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
QisTopTier said:
Also shout outs to people finally realizing iron man's jump M is godlike, although if you used him for more than 5 seconds it's obvious as hell.
I don't really understand why people say Iron Man has no air game, the range on his air normals is ridiculous, and he's got relaunch setups, fly and repulsor blast to combat people coming in.

QisTopTier said:
Yeah, when I was using IM on day one, all I would do is box dash jM into magic series over and over.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Chris G currently playing MK9 on the stream, for those who care. They're doing MK first, Marvel will be later. No more casuals.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yipes commentating MK9 now on stream. Went out and came back, hope I didn't miss Marvel on the stream. Chris G, Yipes and LI Joe and the rest of EMP being there means Marvel could have a good showing.

EDIT: LI Joe beat Tom Brady at his own game, lol. Tom Brady playing massive damage control on his loss, and that unblockable Cyrax setup in the game.

Razor210

You know something is really hard to get out of when the AI even refuses to block if you try to set it up.

Any time the AI brings in a character - if you have Taskmaster on point and call in Dormammu's Dark Hole assist as they fall in, they won't block it - even if you're halfway across the screen. You don't even have to go for the unblockable - they'll just not block as a precaution.

I lol'd

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even though I'm the only one watching the stream here it seems, they're starting up Marvel now finally, so yeah. SSFIV is afterwards.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ultimoo said:
I was watching it, but MK9 discussion doesn't seem like it would fit in here.
Yeah I didn't bring it up to start the whole shebang again.

Good to see people actually using Taskmaster's counter hyper.

Neki

enzo_gt said:
Yeah I didn't bring it up to start the whole shebang again.

Good to see people actually using Taskmaster's counter hyper.

Q abuses that crap against me when I play Hulk, so not cool. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
His Zero is blowing up Santhrax SO BAD right now. New team is hype.

Oh damn, both of those X-Factors in that last game were crazy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That Zero was pretty solid. I mean no one beats Marn, but that Zero/Wesker combo was very good.

Congrats to Chris G for taking it.

Neki

Ammy/Ryu/Wesker I'm pretty sure, Zero is just a way more solid character, and can really abuse the Wesker OTG though.

Ultimoo said:
Ammy/Ryu/Wesker I'm pretty sure, Zero is just a way more solid character, and can really abuse the Wesker OTG though.
Really? I haven't tried Zero/Wesker much yet.

Today's team for me was Haggar/Zero/Sent. Team order varies depending on the matchup.

Also, anyone still watching the stream? They're doing a Mortal Kombat "coliseum" tournament where if you die to a fatality, you're eliminated from the tournament immediately.

Neki

Yeah, with an OTG, Chris G was abusing his throws and fully charged blasters. He'd throw, dash up, OTG, and then magic series. Or he'd blast from about half screen (which usually doesn't lead to anything) and then OTG with Wesker, and combo. It was actually pretty neat. I'm sure you saw that though. :p

Ultimoo said:
Yeah, with an OTG, Chris G was abusing his throws and fully charged blasters. He'd throw, dash up, OTG, and then magic series. Or he'd blast from about half screen (which usually doesn't lead to anything) and then OTG with Wesker, and combo. It was actually pretty neat. I'm sure you saw that though. :p
I didn't catch much of the grand finals. Waiting for it to come up on archive. I'm always looking for ways to up my Zero game so I'm interested in seeing that.

Grecco

Ultimoo said:

You dont need an OTG assist to do those things. Dont think so anyways. Zero can OTG already.

Neki

Grecco said:
You dont need an OTG assist to do those things. Dont think so anyways. Zero can OTG already.
I guess it's the first time I've seen any Zero do it in a tournament setting. Marn certainly doesn't do it. Does Zero's OTG come out fast enough to work with a beam assist though?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Parallax Scroll said:
I guess between Zero's loops and Blaster relaunches, most Zero players don't bother with his OTG (qcf+M or H in the air, I think).
Your right. Marn definitely uses it, but I've never seen anyone else use it actually. A lot of other Zero players just go in for resets instead.

Dahbomb

Zero can OTG but he can't follow it up afterwards just like how it is with Wolverine (unless he is in Sogenmu mode). You basically just get the one hit, like Wolverine. With an assist Zero has an easier time following up his stuff.

I loved that Zero/Wesker combo, it fleshed out Zero's game much more. It definitely seems like in order to maximize Zero you need a "get in" assist like Cold/Drones and an OTG assist to bolster his throw/Buster game.

And it had to happen sooner or later, ChrisG replacing Ryu.

Dahbomb

Sentinel and Phoenix assist combined basically do what the Akuma assist did, lock down the opponent and allow Wolverine to combo off of OTG slide.

It's a really deceptive team, Wolverine is the main show on the team not Phoenix. If Wolverine gets going, Tokido has no fear to just go all the way with Wolverine burning meter and X Factor to do it. Same with Sentinel, if he catches 2 people he will burn stuff. Phoenix is a back up in case Wolverine or Sentinel get bodied early on.

Only real problem with the team is that Sentinel is essentially solo, he has no real assist backing him up. But Tokido's Sentinel is really good, he has some flashy combos up his sleeve with the robot.

Also Tokido takes huge ass gambles and is going to get blown up by a LVL3 XF character especially Dormammu.

And is Daigo playing MVC3 too? I heard something about this when the game came out. I guess we won't really know until EVO. Tokido certainly has been putting in serious time and effort into MVC3, he wants in on DAT HYPE action.

jns

Great to see Japan getting into the hype of MvC. Just from watching the youtube vids of that Kubosgarden tourney it was interesting to see some things I havn't seen before, there was a hulk doing some stuff with the dante assist which nearly makes me want to put dante in my team.

On another note, this game is KILLING me lol. Its my first vs game and I'm coming from a beginner SF background and when I can find a match online, all the basic stuff I've been learning gets totally exposed. I'm in Aus an because I work weird hours I play matches at weird times, so my ranked matches have been against mostly guys from Asia and goddamn have I got complete hidings. Its not the lag so much as either hitting buttons when I shouldn't and just not being able to get in the position where I can try and do some damage.

Im finding it real tough to transition from training mode to online. I gotta stop trying to throw out those SF pokes. They are getting me smashed big time lol. Still, I didn't think I would get into a game like SF (which I'm still learning) but there is something about the craziness of this game I cant get enough of.

Back to training/stream monstering for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom