• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimoo said:
I'm saying that if your combos work midscreen using a beam assist and Zero OTG, then sweet, but I thought it was good because Chris G was using an OTG to extend his buster and throws mid-screen, and I had never seen it before.
Yeah, but then I'd need to use Wesker or someone. I'm just trying out basic assist combos cause I wasn't using them with Zero before.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ultimoo said:
What? If you get caught with Healing Field, it's very hard to kill Phoenix unless you use a level 3 hyper or an x-factor. Tokido has some really good combos with Phoenix so I don't know how advantageous it is to use her, not sure if she builds a lot of meter or does a lot of damage. I'm just saying, it's not completely insane to think about it.
Phoenix' health regenerates that quickly? Keep in mind she's losing red life as well. Wouldn't your average 500K BnB finish her off? Isn't that even still a detriment to the team for having such a low health character on point that can't make up for it in damage output unless she has 5 stock?

Neki

Parallax Scroll said:
Yeah, but then I'd need to use Wesker or someone. I'm just trying out basic assist combos cause I wasn't using them with Zero before.
Sorry, I think we're arguing about different things. I was talking to Grecco mainly who was saying that Zero doesn't need an OTG to combo off his throws and mid-range busters, but I said that I hadn't seen anyone actually do it without an OTG assist. Proceed! :p

Phoenix' health regenerates that quickly? Keep in mind she's losing red life as well. Wouldn't your average 500K BnB finish her off? Isn't that even still a detriment to the team for having such a low health character on point that can't make up for it in damage output unless she has 5 stock?
Yes, she regenerates very fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=426KADLrTPs#t=8m20s
I'd say it basically doubles her health at the expense of red health, as long as the opponent is near you during a combo, which means beam hypers or ranged hypers would be very strong against it, not sure about cinematic hypers though. X-factor increased damage would also nullify it, but you're trading x-factor for a character so not sure. Once she's very low, tag her out and hope you get 5 bars, I think it could work.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
enzo_gt said:

Her red life heals almost immediately when she has healing field up and you're comboing her. So her life almost doubles unless she's being hit by something that doesn't leave her right next to the other character. Like ice storm or something.

Ultimoo said:
Sorry, I think we're arguing about different things. I was talking to Grecco mainly who was saying that Zero doesn't need an OTG to combo off his throws and mid-range busters, but I said that I hadn't seen anyone actually do it without an OTG assist. Proceed! :p
In that case I think you're right. Using Zero's own OTG is only easy if he lands near the opponent (such as in the corner).

I'm having good early results with launcher, M M Buster, teleport down, Shippuga into launcher. I find it easier to execute than Buster > Raikousen L > S.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow okay that really is fast as hell. Much faster than I remember. Okay you win, I reconsider my point about Phoenix being completely useless on point.

Solune

Parallax Scroll said:
In that case I think you're right. Using Zero's own OTG is only easy if he lands near the opponent (such as in the corner).

I'm having good early results with launcher, M M Buster, teleport down, Shippuga into launcher. I find it easier to execute than Buster > Raikousen L > S.
But it's so much more stylish!

Solune said:
But it's so much more stylish!
Which one, the Raikousen? Everyone does that.

I honestly don't know which followup is better, but I wasn't even aware of the teleport->shippuga option until I saw ChrisG do it.

Also, watching ChrisG is another reminder that I need to learn to play with my Buster charged. For practice, I'm trying to do Zero's 3x ground loop and start charging on the first hit so I can fire it for a relaunch when I'm in the air. I haven't quite gotten it yet.

Solune

Parallax Scroll said:

I honestly don't know which followup is better, but I wasn't even aware of the teleport->shippuga option until I saw ChrisG do it.

Also, watching ChrisG is another reminder that I need to learn to play with my Buster charged. For practice, I'm trying to do Zero's 3x ground loop and start charging on the first hit so I can fire it for a relaunch when I'm in the air. I haven't quite gotten it yet.
Nah Marn's been doing variations of that stuff since before Chris G picked up Zero like linking MMH Buster tele down loop into Buster again. And by stylish I just mean it looks cooler.

Solune said:
Nah Marn's been doing variations of that stuff since before Chris G picked up Zero like linking MMH Buster tele down loop into Buster again. And by stylish I just mean it looks cooler.
I actually haven't been watching a ton of Marn lately. Also his Magneto steals like half the show. And I guess the obvious difference is that teleport down requires the corner, while Raikousen works anywhere I think.

I played a few rounds of Zero vs Deadpool at long range, using charged buster shots and the occasional sent drones vs Deadpool's guns and grenades. We were generally about even on life loss, but Deadpool still tends to give me trouble when I run Zero/Haggar/Sent.

Solune

Parallax Scroll said:
I actually haven't been watching a ton of Marn lately. Also his Magneto steals like half the show. And I guess the obvious difference is that teleport down requires the corner, while Raikousen works anywhere I think.

I played a few rounds of Zero vs Deadpool at long range, using charged buster shots and the occasional sent drones vs Deadpool's guns and grenades. We were generally about even on life loss, but Deadpool still tends to give me trouble when I run Zero/Haggar/Sent.
Nope, MM Buster tele down works anywhere.

Neki

Parallax Scroll said:

I think the Buster - > Teleport down does a little less damage, but you make up for it on way less hit stun deterioration.

Speaking of Justin Wong, every time I see this it amazes me:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Evolution (2001) - 1st
Evolution (2002) - 1st
Evolution (2003) - 1st
Evolution (2004) - 1st
Evolution (2006) - 1st
Evolution (2007) - 2nd
Evolution (2008) - 1st
Evolution (2009) - 2nd
Evolution (2010) - 1st

Neki

God's Beard said:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Evolution (2001) - 1st
Evolution (2002) - 1st
Evolution (2003) - 1st
Evolution (2004) - 1st
Evolution (2006) - 1st
Evolution (2007) - 2nd
Evolution (2008) - 1st
Evolution (2009) - 2nd
Evolution (2010) - 1st

9 more years!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
God's Beard said:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Evolution (2001) - 1st
Evolution (2002) - 1st
Evolution (2003) - 1st
Evolution (2004) - 1st
Evolution (2006) - 1st
Evolution (2007) - 2nd
Evolution (2008) - 1st
Evolution (2009) - 2nd
Evolution (2010) - 1st
Brings up a good question, who do y'all think has the potential to make it to top 3 in Evo this year for MvC3?

I'm having difficulty figuring out myself, there are SO many good players. Wong is one for sure.

God's Beard said:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Evolution (2001) - 1st
Evolution (2002) - 1st
Evolution (2003) - 1st
Evolution (2004) - 1st
Evolution (2006) - 1st
Evolution (2007) - 2nd
Evolution (2008) - 1st
Evolution (2009) - 2nd
Evolution (2010) - 1st
Justin is on another level.

Neki

enzo_gt said:
Brings up a good question, who do y'all think has the potential to make it to top 3 in Evo this year for MvC3?

I'm having difficulty figuring out myself, there are SO many good players. Wong is one for sure.

Only problem is Marvel vs Capcom 3 is so much more crazier, some really high seeds could get knocked out by XF3/Dark Phoenix, it just sounds insane.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Grecco said:
Yipes, Marn, Justin and Combofiend. Top 4.
I was tempted to say Yipes too, and I think he's holding back showing what he's got because the little we've seen so far has been some of the most solid play ever. But alas, we haven't seen him in enough matchups. I would say possibly Remix being up there too.

Ultimoo said:
Only problem is Marvel vs Capcom 3 is so much more crazier, some really high seeds could get knocked out by XF3/Dark Phoenix, it just sounds insane.
Yeah I agree completely. That's why I didn't place Marn immediately because he seems susceptible to this stuff. Not even choking, just bad luck.

Nobody worthy of top 32 will get randomed out by Dark Phoenix. If a Phoenix player makes it that far, it will be purely on skill. Nobody gets that far at EVO for nothing. It's like Skill said, using Phoenix is a gamble, using her over and over in a tournament will make it really difficult to get consistent results.

By the time EVO rolls around, people will be more than prepared for anything people think is crazy. That's why it's the world championship. What I'm really interested in is how many people are going to show up for each game. Has to be at least a few thousand. If anything surprises people, I think there's going to be a lot of hidden Team Hyper Combo setups coming out of nowhere. That, and people using characters' 2nd or 3rd "best" assist for really specific teams. Marvel 3 is going to become a really scary game, really fast.

Grecco

enzo_gt said:
I was tempted to say Yipes too, and I think he's holding back showing what he's got because the little we've seen so far has been some of the most solid play ever. But alas, we haven't seen him in enough matchups. I would say possibly Remix being up there too.

Yeah I agree completely. That's why I didn't place Marn immediately because he seems susceptible to this stuff. Not even choking, just bad luck.

Was it Guard Crush that he won a couple of weeks ago? Yipes play was incredibly solid.

enzo_gt said:

He might actually try at EVO.

God's Beard said:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Evolution (2001) - 1st
Evolution (2002) - 1st
Evolution (2003) - 1st
Evolution (2004) - 1st
Evolution (2006) - 1st
Evolution (2007) - 2nd
Evolution (2008) - 1st
Evolution (2009) - 2nd
Evolution (2010) - 1st

Its crazy that those 2nds are to Yipes and Sanford respectively (2005 was Duc Do and Justin came 4th IIRC).

As for EVO its gonna be interesting since we got more people to look out for like Combofiend, Marn, Ryry, Chris G, etc and I'm glad to see Yipes is back in the game but i wish Sanford would do the same.

kirblar

enzo_gt said:

Marn needs to put Sentinel on point vs Phoenix teams. Magneto and Zero can both deal with her via their Level 3, while Sentinel just gets blown up by the zoning.

smurfx

get some go again
i beat a phoenix by doing what you guys recommend doing when fighting dark phoenix. i spammed my taskmaster special and i got her on the very first try too. as soon as he went dark phoenix i went x factor and it was enough to take her out on my special.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Grecco said:
Was it Guard Crush that he won a couple of weeks ago? Yipes play was incredibly solid.
I believe so, but really, Yipes came out of left field and never dropped a combo once. I think dude is intentionally playing low profile to catch people up from under during Evo. He's not entering tournaments where he is actually at and all. I really do think he never dropped a combo once.

Too many good players to remember. I would put Chris G up there too, in top 8. Chris G, Remix, Marn, perhaps Combofiend (yes he's godlike but we haven't seen much of him), Yipes, Wong, and two others I can't decide on.

Thing about Chris G is, he knows how to use X-Factor best and doesn't just leave it for the anchor. He'll X-Factor mid combo level 1 or 2, and carry it through to help kill 2 characters throughout the time its active.

I'm just excited for the next major here. When is the next Evo-linked tourney? Is it CEO?

enzo_gt said:
I believe so, but really, Yipes came out of left field and never dropped a combo once. I think dude is intentionally playing low profile to catch people up from under during Evo. He's not entering tournaments where he is actually at and all. I really do think he never dropped a combo once.

Too many good players to remember. I would put Chris G up there too, in top 8. Chris G, Remix, Marn, perhaps Combofiend (yes he's godlike but we haven't seen much of him), Yipes, Wong, and two others I can't decide on.

Thing about Chris G is, he knows how to use X-Factor best and doesn't just leave it for the anchor. He'll X-Factor mid combo level 1 or 2, and carry it through to help kill 2 characters throughout the time its active.

I'm just excited for the next major here. When is the next Evo-linked tourney? Is it CEO?

UFGT, May 27th. Oz's EVO seeding status was given to Shadaloo Showdown; a pretty magnanimous gesture by Oz's organizers.

God's Beard said:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Evolution (2001) - 1st
Evolution (2002) - 1st
Evolution (2003) - 1st
Evolution (2004) - 1st
Evolution (2006) - 1st
Evolution (2007) - 2nd
Evolution (2008) - 1st
Evolution (2009) - 2nd
Evolution (2010) - 1st

That's not amazing; what's really amazing is that JWong's mastery of the game is so complete that he can and will destroy people with every single character in the cast, a rarity in a game with 56 characters.

He effing won WCW MvC2 LOW TIER.

No bitching about old school Jill please.

Nose Master

Really wish you could save replays. I use Wolv/Hulk/Haggar (I know, sucks) and the other guy also had Hulk, so I put him on point. Started the round with the Mike Ross strategy, and so did he. Except I was in a trolly mood, so I kept hammering on throw, so did he. First 10 seconds the match was nothing but throws being tech'd from both sides.

Neki

Ogrekiller said:
UFGT, May 27th. Oz's EVO seeding status was given to Shadaloo Showdown; a pretty magnanimous gesture by Oz's organizers.

That's not amazing; what's really amazing is that JWong's mastery of the game is so complete that he can and will destroy people with every single character in the cast, a rarity in a game with 56 characters.

He effing won WCW MvC2 LOW TIER.

No bitching about old school Jill please.

Do assists not take as much damage in MvC2 or am I just seeing things? D: Also wow, anti-air assists are so prevalent in MvC2, wonder why it's not the same in MvC3.

smurfx said:
beat solarpowered again. :p
6znatz.gif

kirblar

Ultimoo said:
Do assists not take as much damage in MvC2 or am I just seeing things? D: Also wow, anti-air assists are so prevalent in MvC2, wonder why it's not the same in MvC3.
They do not. Assists having tissue paper for health was a great, great change.

Dang, I LOVED using Cammy and Jill on my team in MvC2. The memories came flooding back when I saw that video. Too bad Justin didn't go for the relaunch after Maximum Cammy.

I actually think a rushdown Phoenix on point, starting with a 0 second Healing Field would be amazing. Do you build meter during healing field?
Yes; a list:
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Marvel_vs_Capcom_3/Systems/Hyper_Meter_Attacks:_Hyper_Combos

It's not just that there are so many good players, but that a lot of players seem to be hiding things, or working on secret teams they haven't come out with yet. It's pretty hard to judge someone when they're not even playing their main team in public.

smurfx

get some go again
does wong and these other guys ever play such teams in public? how are they going to get good with them if they never play them against other good players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom