• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zissou

I think they play against other top players, just not on the streams. Justin could be playing against floe or whoever with some new team that we'd never see until evo.

Grecco

smurfx said:
does wong and these other guys ever play such teams in public? how are they going to get good with them if they never play them against other good players?

You are right in a way, Justin plays with Chen and Floe but if he doesnt face every matchup that might hurt him a little. But hes still Justin Wong. Dont think it will hurt him that much.

Ultimoo said:
Do assists not take as much damage in MvC2 or am I just seeing things? D: Also wow, anti-air assists are so prevalent in MvC2, wonder why it's not the same in MvC3.

No, but there were double snaps for free assist kills. Anti-air was everything because all the best characters in the game fought from the sky, flight was way better, and the screen height was much higher while width also being thinner. Assists were also much stronger all around for blowing through things. In MVC3, there are much much longer combos, but I think point characters and assists have been toned down in terms of power in favor of flexibility.

Masamuna

Fooling around in training mode and just found that Task can consistently followup after the DHC reset with Dante (only grapple unfortunately). Good to know since it will give me some extra juice if my Mags gets taken out. Also thinking about doing something like Dante/Task/Dorm which sounds like a good team.

X23 is really fun, and having a player like Deviljin01 break her technology down is extremely useful. His info for Viper back in Vanilla was very solid, so I expect no less here. I like playing her on point for now, but later on I do see her potential rising in the second spot.

Speaking of Deviljin01, his video on anti-divekick strategy/chicken blocking looks to be very useful. Looking forward to implementing it.

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
Speaking of Justin Wong, every time I see this it amazes me:

Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Evolution (2001) - 1st
Evolution (2002) - 1st
Evolution (2003) - 1st
Evolution (2004) - 1st
Evolution (2006) - 1st
Evolution (2007) - 2nd
Evolution (2008) - 1st
Evolution (2009) - 2nd
Evolution (2010) - 1st
JWong is the Federer of MVC3. He was pretty much the poster boy of MVC2

Though I don't think he will remain as dominant in MVC3. He will be top 3 for sure.

Marn, Floe, Combofiend, ChrisG, Yipes, Josh Wong, Clockw0rk, Viscant, PRBalrog, RogueYoshi, MarlinPie... a lot of people have been stepping up their game for MVC3.

Yesterday I spent almost 24 hours playing MVC3, didn't go to college because of strike/protest there. Been in the lab with Zero/Dorm as well as playing a lot of matches with my sparring partner. My Dorm is good enough for regular matches and I have the most actual wins with him.

I think Zero is top 5 worthy (in the top 5 that doesn't include Phoenix so it's basically the top 6 if you want to get technical). In fact I have just started "mastering" and I am attempting to incorporate ways to bolster his throw game which is in my opinion his only real weakness. Zero demands respect like Wolverine demands respect, it's plain and simple.

Oh and as to why people prefer that Down teleport into relaunch over the lighting streak attack (I am so bad with Zero's name lol) into relaunch, the lightning streak basically causes you to be like right below or a bit ahead of the opponent which will cause your follow up to be a bit messier as you need to jump straight up to do the follow up. With the teleport down you can just dash up and do the launcher and trajectory isn't affected. I still like the lightning as I was used to that, it gets the job done for me.

Nobody worthy of top 32 will get randomed out by Dark Phoenix. If a Phoenix player makes it that far, it will be purely on skill. Nobody gets that far at EVO for nothing. It's like Skill said, using Phoenix is a gamble, using her over and over in a tournament will make it really difficult to get consistent results.

By the time EVO rolls around, people will be more than prepared for anything people think is crazy. That's why it's the world championship. What I'm really interested in is how many people are going to show up for each game. Has to be at least a few thousand. If anything surprises people, I think there's going to be a lot of hidden Team Hyper Combo setups coming out of nowhere. That, and people using characters' 2nd or 3rd "best" assist for really specific teams. Marvel 3 is going to become a really scary game, really fast.
I agree with the first part, no legitimate players loses to a Phoenix scrub now and the Phoenix player will have to fight it out on pure skill. Which means playing absolutely perfect so he doesn't get random hyper'd.

MVC3 EVO should be GODLIKE. It's really going to be some high level stuff, expect lots of early X Factors to kill danger characters on particular teams. I expect to see snapbacks, I expect to see TODs gotten down to perfection and I expect a few players blowing it up with unexpected team combination/set ups that other people can't seem to block/negate. In the end I expect that team to win in which all 3 characters are amazing combined with a really amazing strategy holding them together, which only a few people seem to have right now.

Dahbomb said:
JWong is the Federer of MVC3. He was pretty much the poster boy of MVC2

Though I don't think he will remain as dominant in MVC3. He will be top 3 for sure.

Marn, Floe, Combofiend, ChrisG, Yipes, Josh Wong, Clockw0rk, Viscant, PRBalrog, RogueYoshi, MarlinPie... a lot of people have been stepping up their game for MVC3.

Yesterday I spent almost 24 hours playing MVC3, didn't go to college because of strike/protest there. Been in the lab with Zero/Dorm as well as playing a lot of matches with my sparring partner. My Dorm is good enough for regular matches and I have the most actual wins with him.

I think Zero is top 5 worthy (in the top 5 that doesn't include Phoenix so it's basically the top 6 if you want to get technical). In fact I have just started "mastering" and I am attempting to incorporate ways to bolster his throw game which is in my opinion his only real weakness. Zero demands respect like Wolverine demands respect, it's plain and simple.

Oh and as to why people prefer that Down teleport into relaunch over the lighting streak attack (I am so bad with Zero's name lol) into relaunch, the lightning streak basically causes you to be like right below or a bit ahead of the opponent which will cause your follow up to be a bit messier as you need to jump straight up to do the follow up. With the teleport down you can just dash up and do the launcher and trajectory isn't affected. I still like the lightning as I was used to that, it gets the job done for me.
Teleport down is nice in the corner because you can go straight into f+H when you land. I haven't made it work midscreen yet but I'd guess you'd have to dash, skip the f+H, and go straight into launcher.

Dahbomb

Ogrekiller said:
The opening title lives up to the name: Technology.

Now THAT is some MVC3 technology that I like to see. People finally being made aware of the beast that is C Viper in this game. I just wished I had the execution to play C Viper, I tried hard as fuck to player her in SSF4 and I tried hard as fuck to player her in MVC3 but to no avail.

But I still BELIEVE... just like I believe in Phoenix on point.

She's subpar at rushdown, average at damage output, is meter dependent for DP and has subpar health. Doesn't seem like a winning combination for a point character.
It's not always about rushdown it's about match ups and Phoenix (Jean) has some of the best matchs ups in the game. While on paper, Zero and Wolverine are superior rushdown characters to Phoenix thanks to their right/left mix ups and high priority moves, they also have no way to get in on Phoenix when she is on the far upper corner of the screen throwing out fireballs. She will condition these types of characters to play more defensively and that's her que to teleport in and do mix ups, which are very strong for Phoenix. You are safe no where from Phoenix but she can be safe from a lot of characters.

Her rushdown and keep away is so solid because she has all the tools one could want meaning a proper Phoenix player is always going to be playing the match up (rushing against characters weak to rushdown and zoning out characters weak to zoning).

On the issue of health, a Phoenix on point player is going to try to have Healing Field on at all time. Of course a Phoenix player has basically made the choice of Dark Phoenix not even existing so now Phoenix's very powerful LVL1 hypers come at the forefront. With Healing Field, characters like Zero will do next to no damage to her when that thing is on and if they attempt to do a combo it will just build more and more meter for Phoenix (seriously Zero trying to combo a Phoenix with Healing Field is laughable, she regens life faster than he can damage her). Aside from long ranged hypers/beams, which Phoenix can get around easily with teleports, Phoenix's health gets grossly inflated while in Healing Field.

On the issue of damage, Phoenix's damaging hyper (Phoenix Rage) is one of the most damaging LVL1 hypers in the game (3rd only to Gamma Crush of Hulk and MODOK's LVL9 HPB which no one practically use in a match consistently). Not only is it insanely damaging, it is very invincible, very fast and causes a wall bounce which allows you to link 2 of them back to back. Phoenix with meter is a nightmare for assists as she can body assists in the blink of an eye. She builds good meter and does solid damage on her combos but tagging on that hyper at the end of each combo makes her a very high damaging character.

Phoenix OG has some of the best LVL1 hypers in the game but it's like they are OP for a purpose, you basically have to make a choice. Use them early and have a potent character up front to command the pace of the battle or save it all for Dark Phoenix at the end. You have no idea the damage regular Phoenix can do if she has 5 meters that she can actually use.

Of course while this is mostly just theory fighting talking, I have experimented greatly with Phoenix on point. Basically, when you have Healing Field active you go in for combos and take risks and when you have it off you play it REAL SAFE and run away until you get the meter. She can easily build the meter for a Phoenix Rage in a combo. It's a very "Strider-esque" style of play.

Ferrio

Banned
Hrmm I believe Evo won't be too special. I'm guessing lots will fall back on the same old teams once they get higher in the brackets.

Ferrio said:
Hrmm I believe Evo won't be too special. I'm guessing lots will fall back on the same old teams once they get higher in the brackets.
They put the late matches up on a big screen, right? The crowd hype should be good if nothing else.

Trying out Mags a bit... here's my awesome combo!

cr.LMH > S ^ H > fly > LMH > ad > MASHBUTTONS > drop combo

It gets up to 14 hits in some cases!

Dahbomb

Magneto's limbs are very combo friendly.

It will still be stuff that is cream of the crop, not scrubbish day 1 stuff. And high level MVC3 match is always hype to watch.

Do assists not take as much damage in MvC2 or am I just seeing things? D: Also wow, anti-air assists are so prevalent in MvC2, wonder why it's not the same in MvC3.
Anti-air attacks were prevalent in MVC2 because:

1) Most of the top tier anti air assist either had ridiculous priority or were invincible or both. They basically ran through stuff like no tomorrow even catching other assists in their patch leading to character deaths. Why do you think people are so hype on Haggar and Tron assists? While they aren't labelled as such they are essentially "anti-air" assists and very MVC2-ish.

2) Most characters in MVC2 had shit assists and their only good ones were their Anti-Air ones. They basically either had a projectile or an expansion assist, both usually sucked. No one in their right mind will ever pick CapCom/Psylock's Projectile assist over their Anti-air. This generally applies to the lower tier characters as well but there were a few exceptions.

3) The other assists weren't as good, like assists that basically locked down or "expanded" across horizontal. Akuma's Tatsu in MVC2 PALES in comparison to his MVC3 counterpart and that falls true for most other assists as well (like Chun Li's). Projectiles assists also weren't as good as they are in MVC3.

4) Biggest threats in MVC2 came from the skies as God's Beard mentioned. Storm/Magneto/Sentinel/Doom/Iron Man etc. Tri-jump and general air game was superior in MVC2 and highly abusable. Sacrificing an entire character slot for a godly Anti-air assist usually won you the game and it got to the point where teams were "counter" each depending upon their assists.

And yeah assists took less damage in MVC2.

Ferrio

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Magneto's limbs are very combo friendly.

It will still be stuff that is cream of the crop, not scrubbish day 1 stuff. And high level MVC3 match is always hype to watch.

Of course it'll be good. I'm just dubious of all these claims we'll see tons new teams and new tech.

Dahbomb

Ferrio said:
Of course it'll be good. I'm just dubious of all these claims we'll see tons new teams and new tech.
New tech yes, new teams not really.

By new tech I mean it can generally be anything on a previously used character/team like a reset, a new type of combo, team synergy, play style etc. Hell I have seen crazy ass stuff go down at smaller tournaments so it's natural to expect some really high level tech stuff at EVO.

And I expect the real evolution of MVC3 to happen AFTER EVO, not at or before. It would be a culmination of various technologies coming together at a big format for everyone to see. People will learn, be inspired and will have a new outlook on the game. Like if something like a C Viper player ends up in top 4, it's going to turn heads and by the time of next EVO there might be more C Viper players running around with better and deadlier technology.

Grecco

Im pretty damn sure Justin will run a new team. Hes clearly stated in his twitter that he has a secret Evo team, but that hes gonna use Wolvie/storm/akuma every major till then.... So in Chicago this month and CEO next month its gonna be more Wolverine.

I kinda wish he brought his she hulk team back its fun to watch

I think a couple more pros will run new teams.

Dahbomb

I am pretty sure it's going to be Zero/Dante/Akuma. It's a solid team with team synergy plus he has shown that he knows how to DHC glitch with Crazy Dance move which is a feat in of itself (it's a just frame move for those who don't know).

Problem is that his Dante/Zero game are behind a lot of players and he might get blown up with it. Maybe he wants his skill/tech to be up to par before he runs it.

His Phoenix/Dormammu/Skrull team was pure troll though. It's not that Phoenix on point is a LOSING strategy or that he is shit with Skrull, it's because all 3 characters are insane meter hogs. Plus there is lack of a good solid assist in the team.

Ferrio

Banned
Dahbomb said:
His Phoenix/Dormammu/Skrull team was pure troll though. It's not that Phoenix on point is a LOSING strategy or that he is shit with Skrull, it's because all 3 characters are insane meter hogs. Plus there is lack of a good solid assist in the team.

It is a losing strategy, you can't claim it's not! There's not a single advantage having her on point. Name one. (actually there is one, i'll let you name it)

Dahbomb

Grecco said:
Im pretty sure hes gonna use Dante but the others i dont know. His Zero is pretty basic.
So is his Dante. :/

But he has some time to improve. He says that his team is "very stylish" so that seems to fit the bill.

It is a losing strategy, you can't claim it's not! There's not a single advantage having her on point. Name one. (actually there is one, i'll let you name it)
You aren't crippled in the early segment of the game and are free to use X Factor and meter to gain an advantage in the match early on, which is what the metagame of MVC3 is evolving into. Your other teammates are also not nerfed to hell. Phoenix backed up by 2 assists is also extremely potent. Oh and if Phoenix dies you don't lose the match. In the off chance that you body your opponent with Phoenix (first 2 characters die easily) and have meter stocked up you can save that up for the DP transformation.

Playing regular Phoenix is more flexible than playing Dark Phoenix.

Phoenix on point is only a losing strategy right now because 90%+ of Phoenix player can't even use Phoenix all that well.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
New Shadow Battle and Events are up.

Win 1 match with an all female team/Win 10

Ferrio

Banned
Dahbomb said:
You aren't crippled in the early segment of the game and are free to use X Factor and meter to gain an advantage in the match early on, which is what the metagame of MVC3 is evolving into. Your other teammates are also not nerfed to hell. Phoenix backed up by 2 assists is also extremely potent. Oh and if Phoenix dies you don't lose the match. In the off chance that you body your opponent with Phoenix (first 2 characters die easily) and have meter stocked up you can save that up for the DP transformation.

Phoenix on point is only a losing strategy right now because 90%+ of Phoenix player can't even use Phoenix all that well.

Again I'm not saying that playing Pheonix like a regular character is losing, just putting her on point is. Building meter first and having her DHC in is a much better option than setting her on point with a low bar. Also having her in the wings plays a mind game with your opponent, since they fear dark pheonix. Having her in on point instantly alleviates that pressure. Let them try and tag her in, then start blowing them up with her.

Even with that, I think without dark phoenix she's still not that good. Anything she can do in regular phoenix mode other characters can do just as well.

Dahbomb

Ferrio said:
Again I'm not saying that playing Pheonix like a regular character is losing, just putting her on point is. Building meter first and having her DHC in is a much better option than setting her on point with a low bar. Also having her in the wings plays a mind game with your opponent, since they fear dark pheonix. Having her in on point instantly alleviates that pressure. Let them try and tag her in, then start blowing them up with her.

Even with that, I think without dark phoenix she's still not that good. Anything she can do in regular phoenix mode other characters can do just as well.
1st or 2nd is about the same although I certainly like that 2nd spot strategy (more meter to use, DHC glitch possibility and "fake out" Phoenix strat). But 1st and 2nd characters are usually point characters too, 2nd being like an alternative to the first one if he dies early. Also Phoenix doesn't have great assists that's why she is better at first spot.

Last part I don't agree with. I mean, yes other characters have what she has but they don't have it all like Phoenix does. Flight mode, 8 way air dash/tri-jumping, tracking projectiles, pseudo-dive kick (that causes a ground bounce if hit in the air), traps, great LVL1 hypers, teleports, an overhead attack... that's a lot of tools on one character meaning she outright beats most of the cast one on one. Only thing she lacks compared to other top tiers is insane high priority on attacks but her normals are solid enough.

Dahbomb said:
So is his Dante. :/

But he has some time to improve. He says that his team is "very stylish" so that seems to fit the bill.

I used Phoenix online once for the lulz, and even though I got DP out I don't know any of her moves so I lost anyway.

I was trying out Dante, but I kept fucking up his teleport input. Switched my TE back to a balltop, problem solved.

Masamuna

Does Dorm have any applicable dark/light spell combos? Or should I just save it for 3D0C and 1D2C?

And whats the best combo for Dante off of Hammer. Can't seem to pull off the volcano BnB since characters seem to fall out of prop shredder.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Dahbomb said:
And I expect the real evolution of MVC3 to happen AFTER EVO, not at or before. It would be a culmination of various technologies coming together at a big format for everyone to see.

Evolution vs Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Technologies

Super Scrub incoming!

Since PSN is down and will probably be down forever and I can't get my fix just losing to random people in Ranked, I decided that I should trying learning the game somewhat seriously in the meantime.

So, first things first, I want to learn Morrigan. I am a mostly blank slate, teach me please.

Master Milk said:
Super Scrub incoming!

Since PSN is down and will probably be down forever and I can't get my fix just losing to random people in Ranked, I decided that I should trying learning the game somewhat seriously in the meantime.

So, first things first, I want to learn Morrigan. I am a mostly blank slate, teach me please.
Put her second or third and use her meter building assist. Bring her out with a ton of meter and do her shadow super (down, down+PP). Spam fireballs and air fireballs while she's powered up. When it runs out, activate again. Repeat till you win!

This is basically all I know how to do with Morrigan

Azure J

Parallax Scroll said:
Put her second or third and use her meter building assist. Bring her out with a ton of meter and do her shadow super (down, down+PP). Spam fireballs and air fireballs while she's powered up. When it runs out, activate again. Repeat till you win!

This is basically all I know how to do with Morrigan

Addendum: fly/unfly.

I still want to believe that there's a lot more to find out/play around with using Morrigan, but I see no one using her anymore... Floe, why'd ya stop man. :'( :lol

AzureJericho said:

I still want to believe that there's a lot more to find out/play around with using Morrigan, but I see no one using her anymore... Floe, why'd ya stop man. :'( :lol
Yeah, Morrigan's fireball spam is way way better if you do this. I haven't really learned it.

AzureJericho said:

Oh seriously? I haven't had the chance to watch too many streams so that's sad to hear. So this wasn't just the joke advice until someone that knows actually comes along?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Messing around with some new characters. X-23 and Dormammu currently interest me a lot. I tried X-23, Hulk, Dormammu in training mode just now and if anything they DHC pretty well but other than that no idea about the synergy. Any other logical characters that work well as a third?

As for assists, I'm guessing ankle slice is best for X-23, Dark Hole for Dormammu?

Master Milk said:
Oh seriously? I haven't had the chance to watch too many streams so that's sad to hear. So this wasn't just the joke advice until someone that knows actually comes along?
Not entirely. If you learn to do fireballs with fly/unfly you can really increase your rate of fire. And I believe with X-Factor you can actually fire them so fast that you create an inescapable blockstring. And since she can fire in multiple directions both on the ground and in the air, she's one of the most versatile fireball characters in the game.

The strategy I posted will get you some wins, but obviously a well-rounded Morrigan should know how to do more than just that.

Kimosabae

Banned
Finally got that "Auto Pilot" combo down with Iron Man. First thing I've had to learn so far that gave me trouble. Feels good.

Love this game.

Kimosabae

Banned
I originally had problems with executing Fly from a j.DH - just conceptualizing it and turning it into one action for efficiency. When I originally thought it was just a neutral j.H, I had no problem conceptualizing and executing the sequence at all (I thought I just had the circumstances of the combo wrong, or something), but once the j.DH was introduced - it put a wrench in the whole thing for two days.

It was weird.

Anyways, once I got over that hurdle, yeah, I had slight problems with getting Exchange after Fly/Unfly or going into ADDF. I quickly solved those problems by simply focusing on quickly going Neutral after doing the Unfly motion, then performing ADDF.

As a general execution principle, I find going back to Neutral after doing any motion (whenever possible) solves a ton of problems, because it helps to compartmentalize the actions in your brain.

Kimosabae said:
As a general execution principle, I find going back to Neutral after doing any motion (whenever possible) solves a ton of problems, because it helps to compartmentalize the actions in your brain.

The combos that you are talking about with Iron Man are well beyond me. But this bit of advice that you have here is something that I realized in the last few days and it's really helped out my (still bad) execution.

I had a habit of, especially when jumping, continuing to hold a direction even when not needed. So if I started with a UF jump I'd still be holding UF all the way in the air until I came down to hit my opponent. Now in SSFIV I didn't play many characters with mid-air moves so I guess that I got away with this slop, but it's killing me in marvel. I pretty much can't do any DP motions in the air and even air fireball / super motions were pretty hard for me. But now that I'm bringing it back to neutral whenever I can I feel like I'm getting much better execution and I can see some improvements down the pipe if I actually put the time in.

TheFightingFish said:
The combos that you are talking about with Iron Man are well beyond me. But this bit of advice that you have here is something that I realized in the last few days and it's really helped out my (still bad) execution.

I had a habit of, especially when jumping, continuing to hold a direction even when not needed. So if I started with a UF jump I'd still be holding UF all the way in the air until I came down to hit my opponent. Now in SSFIV I didn't play many characters with mid-air moves so I guess that I got away with this slop, but it's killing me in marvel. I pretty much can't do any DP motions in the air and even air fireball / super motions were pretty hard for me. But now that I'm bringing it back to neutral whenever I can I feel like I'm getting much better execution and I can see some improvements down the pipe if I actually put the time in.
I'm teaching myself the same habit. Turns out a lot of the time I'd follow up a cr.H, S with a tiger knee motion to start the air combo. This works fine for some characters, but it was making Akuma do an air fireball after he jumped.

smurfx

get some go again
Ultimoo said:
I hate you 360 MvC owners. >_>
2vluuy9.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Enk said:
Oh god not this shit again. :lol He makes some good points, they're veiled in ignorance though. Only this motherfucker would send shots at the People's Champ Rawse the Bawse.

TheFightingFish said:

Hey! I have this really, really bad habit too! It murders double jump combos for me too. You seem like you really are like me at Marvel, we should get some games in sometime :D
Once I finally get around to adding you.

Seriously though, it's shit like this and actual execution of combos that kills me. I can't OTG into Proton Cannon cause I rush it. Same with whiffing Dark Dimension. My trouble in fighting games in general really, and is what's capping me skill-wise. I can't perform relaunch combos for shit with Iron Man. I know it's just building up muscle memory, but really things of this sort that are really keeping me back no matter how much time I spend in the lab, I fuck it up online or in practice. I'm just generally not a great gamer at any particular genre or "skill" of games when it comes to things like reaction time in FPSs, resource management in RTS. Another really, REALLY bad habit of mine is forgetting to call in assists, and calling them in at wrong times leaving gaps where I don't have an assist to back me up. Literally on my like 15 game losing streak or what have you, I realized that in two of the past games I somehow never called an assist once because I was too busy dealing with the pressure the other player was bringing by calling in their assists. That kind of knowledge of the metagame within a match along with the core execution and lack of built up muscle memory I've identified long ago as my problems with being competitive in fighting games, but I have trouble finding clear cut routes to improving such, which I'm guessing is just practice, practice, practice.

Oh and the time investment I can't always put in like I'd want to due to life, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom