• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

USD

I feel sorry for Gootecks.

emperorknight17thlordndep.gif

iamsogoodnfix.gif

uforgottobutter1hkj.gif

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
That Cross Counter viscant guide is AMAZING. For someone like me that doesn't have a lot of experience with the philosophy in high level play, the guide taught me a lot about decision making. Forcing people to act certain ways, changing up to go for the win, these are things that I think will help me a lot. In fact, based on the information I got, I'm going to try changing my team order to Amaterasu/Magneto/Doom. I'll start by focusing on making new mixup situations. The guide showed me that character competence and team structure aren't as dominant as I thought, and why guys like Clockwork lose even though they have much higher skill levels than other players.

Good good, this really helps reinforce my belief that Marvel 2 and 3 are RTS games and not fighting games.

Except that some of the most important information about the game in general comes from those sections...
Mix ups and solid play are more important than having godly powerful combos, even in MVC3. With a really solid reset/mix up game, you can body so many people even at high level play with just basic combos. Although team synergy is still important to have in this game.

Don't know about MVC2/MVC3 being more RTS than fighting games, I would say that they are a nice hybrid.

And that video Karts posted in the last page WAS MAD FUCKING HYPE! Holy shit I can't believe I missed out on that match all this time. I don't want to spoil it but now I know where the origin of the whole "Phoenix does not want to be against Dormammu" came from.

I worded that bad, I meant DHC harmony, not team structure. Of course where the assists are, who gets x-factor and such matter a lot. That's why I'm looking at changing to Ammy/Magneto/Doom, this way Ammy can control the pacing and mix people up, when when she gets low on health, slow down time and tag in magnus. Then, Magneto can DHC trick to Ammy for guaranteed character kills, or if she dies early, he can DHC trick to Doom.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay here we go:

Power Up 2011. Honestly, the entire video. But timestamps of note:

14:25 - Justin Vs. Humbag and Humbag laying down serious pressure on Keits, and then Noel's comeback.
22:15 - Big Marcus's godlike Dormammu keepaway and some hype Skrull vs. Wesker matches dispersed throughout. WHY DOES THAT WORK?
31:35 - Big Marcus goes into clutch mode for two games.
41:21 - The incredible Humbag Gravity Squeeze game.

I played about 25 matches on random team. Did surprisingly well with Dormammu, C.Viper, Viewtiful Joe, and Doctor Doom (not as a team, just individually). I may mess around with those characters some more. I never even played as C. Viper in SF4 much, but she seems pretty fun in mvc3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Karsticles said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ZD-AUebpE

Seriously hype matches, I've never been so excited. Showing the power of 3D0C in those matches.
After finishing Marvelous Adventures, I'm watching this now and wonder why I haven't seen this before. Execution and resets are S Rank right here. That Dormammu combo with the teleport and overhead into Wesker OTG for the extra hits is so RAW.

And Smexy's Dante is legitimately one of the best Dante's provided he doesn't use meter.

DahBomb said:
Mix ups and solid play are more important than having godly powerful combos, even in MVC3. With a really solid reset/mix up game, you can body so many people even at high level play with just basic combos. Although team synergy is still important to have in this game.

Don't know about MVC2/MVC3 being more RTS than fighting games, I would say that they are a nice hybrid.

And that video Karts posted in the last page WAS MAD FUCKING HYPE! Holy shit I can't believe I missed out on that match all this time. I don't want to spoil it but now I know where the origin of the whole "Phoenix does not want to be against Dormammu" came from.
No kidding, holy SHIT. Okay definitely one of the most hype moments I've ever seen. Those last two games.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God's Beard said:
That Cross Counter viscant guide is AMAZING. For someone like me that doesn't have a lot of experience with the philosophy in high level play, the guide taught me a lot about decision making. Forcing people to act certain ways, changing up to go for the win, these are things that I think will help me a lot. In fact, based on the information I got, I'm going to try changing my team order to Amaterasu/Magneto/Doom. I'll start by focusing on making new mixup situations. The guide showed me that character competence and team structure aren't as dominant as I thought, and why guys like Clockwork lose even though they have much higher skill levels than other players.

Good good, this really helps reinforce my belief that Marvel 2 and 3 are RTS games and not fighting games.

Except that some of the most important information about the game in general comes from those sections...

You over think everything, stop trying to make the game more complicated than it is. It's fairly simple :)

QisTopTier said:
You over think everything, stop trying to make the game more complicated than it is. It's fairly simple :)
"I’m not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are."

Grecco

h3ro said:
Is that the PDP tourney? It isn't being streamed?

yes but its mk9 only. A bunch of pros will be there, almost all of them. So no MVC3 stuff this weekend. Next big MVC3 stuff is the last weekend of may with the UFGT in Chicago.

JeTmAn81

God's Beard said:
I worded that bad, I meant DHC harmony, not team structure. Of course where the assists are, who gets x-factor and such matter a lot. That's why I'm looking at changing to Ammy/Magneto/Doom, this way Ammy can control the pacing and mix people up, when when she gets low on health, slow down time and tag in magnus. Then, Magneto can DHC trick to Ammy for guaranteed character kills, or if she dies early, he can DHC trick to Doom.

The team system is an enormous part of what makes MVC3 so great. The ability to mix and match characters and assists in any order lets players make creative choices and generate nearly limitless play possibilities. I've crunched the numbers and if you factor in assist types, I believe the number of possible unique teams in the game is over 200,000. When I was doing that math, I didn't even factor for team order, which can actually be surprisingly crucial to the effectiveness of your team.

With options like this, it's no wonder I feel so cramped and boxed in when I go back to Street Fighter.

Neki

Only thing that sucks is Ammy as a DHC starter/ender will generate zero meter for as long as the slow combos, makes DHC tricking with her very meter intensive. >_>

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just watched the rest of the Viscant Marvel guide. A lot of neat stuff I picked up, even though a lot of what hes saying is just really, really well articulated stuff about the game that people have picked up on. He's really right, in Marvel, as well as other fighting games, a risk/reward equation comes into play at some point, whether it's at the footsies level or combo execution. Some really good stuff in there. Props to Cross Counter.

Anyone got a good example/video of Viscant putting in work?

I wonder if Gootecks will mix up his team after this.

Neki

jdub03 said:
I just learned that destruction points x3 owns phoenix. GGPO phoenix.
you honestly just have to survive 20 seconds of XF3 DP, and then spam random hypers/high priority moves all day to win.

jdub03

Ultimoo said:
you honestly just have to survive 20 seconds of XF3 DP, and then spam random hypers/high priority moves all day to win.

Yeah that's what I tell myself whenever I face her but it never seems to work. I play dorm now so storing destruction points and releasing them when she does air fireballs might be easier. I'm gonna test it out when I play that douchebag velox. He switched from wolverine/akuma/sentinel to spencer/taskmaster/phoenix.

Dartastic

SolarPowered said:
I'd be willing to play a few games today if you are still bored.
I'm working today and tomorrow, but I'd definitely be down in the future. Send me a friend request. My XBL tag is the same as my GAF name.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Been working on some friend networks to find later content for 'Assist Me', regarding actors. Have a possibility, but she's not local. Would have to make arrangements.

sQK8R.jpg

And shit, I'll have to ask Cl0ckwork how to use Jill...

I know how to use Jill and only live 200 miles further away!

Also, I kinda hate learning a new character right after having a team I finally completed. Feels like I'm going backwards, but I know that it'll benefit me. After finals I'll have to go nuts in training mode before Revelations.

jdub03

enzo_gt said:
Watch the gameplay Karticles linked to.
Specifically the last two matches.

That's where I got it from. I watched this video earlier but wasn't using dorm at the time. Watched it today after you posted it and had a moment of phoenix destroying enlightenment.

Wallach

LeMaximilian said:
Been working on some friend networks to find later content for 'Assist Me', regarding actors. Have a possibility, but she's not local. Would have to make arrangements.

http://i.imgur.com/sQK8R.jpg

And shit, I'll have to ask Cl0ckwork how to use Jill...

You just want to get her in your place.
I don't blame you...

Doom needs a pimped-out chair while he's staying at your place, though!

Any Ammy users wanna give me some tips on my combo construction?

This is the combo I'm in the process of working on:

(Thunder Edge)jH(charged), MH(stance change Solar Flare), MH->H+A2(Hidden Missiles)S, jHHS, (last missile OTGs), Glaive Chop, Thunder Dive + A1(Hyper Gravitation), S, jS(offscreen mixup)

I'm sure there's better combos out there, this is literally the first day of me constructing my own Ammy combo. Any tips would be much appreciated.

jdub03

Professor Beef said:
Ammy's flowchart is still good, despite what Ken has done to the reputation of flowcharts everywhere.

That's not the Meep from Smash.

I rock the "flowchart time" icon in marvel. With Ammy all I do is the flow chart HHHH and one weapon change combo. I need to learn how to construct my own combos.

Just got in a few quick matches with Parallax Scroll, really fun. For all the salt online Marvel can be so good when you can run a set of matches with players at close to your skill level. I gotta just wait until I see folks online that I can play with more often and let off on trying to find matches in Ranked / Player modes.

I actually like my current team that I'm trying to learn, Chris-B / Arthur-B / Hulk-B but Parallax's Zero was exposing it pretty well when he was on point. My goal was that Chris and Arthur would do the crazy chip zoning work and control forward space, while Hulk would assist both of them by using his AA attack to knock out opponents attacking from the air and could Level 3 hulk up as anchor. And while it works sometimes I still get cornered too often. Even with advancing guard Zero can still get back in there really quick and when I would time the Hulk assist correctly and hit an aerial attack with it the character would still air recover in a good position to fall down with an attack and keep me cornered. Might just need to learn to burn meter to push fast characters back out or something.

enzo_gt said:
If your still up for a few games I can get on.

Heh, I'm actually the one who ditched on more matches already. I'm an old married fart with two kids so staying up late to play Marvel is just something that doesn't happen that often. I'll be looking to catch you sometime though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheFightingFish said:
Just got in a few quick matches with Parallax Scroll, really fun. For all the salt online Marvel can be so good when you can run a set of matches with players at close to your skill level. I gotta just wait until I see folks online that I can play with more often and let off on trying to find matches in Ranked / Player modes.

I actually like my current team that I'm trying to learn, Chris-B / Arthur-B / Hulk-B but Parallax's Zero was exposing it pretty well when he was on point. My goal was that Chris and Arthur would do the crazy chip zoning work and control forward space, while Hulk would assist both of them by using his AA attack to knock out opponents attacking from the air and could Level 3 hulk up as anchor. And while it works sometimes I still get cornered too often. Even with advancing guard Zero can still get back in there really quick and when I would time the Hulk assist correctly and hit an aerial attack with it the character would still air recover in a good position to fall down with an attack and keep me cornered. Might just need to learn to burn meter to push fast characters back out or something.
If your still up for a few games I can get on.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LeMaximilian said:

http://i.imgur.com/sQK8R.jpg[IMG]

And shit, I'll have to ask Cl0ckwork how to use Jill...[/QUOTE]
[spoiler]I could use some assistance after seeing that pic[/spoiler]

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Got some games in with ParallaxScroll.

dat slideshow lag. There was one point where my Skrull did 4 tenderizers in a row, hilarious.
No that actually wasn't mashing either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom