• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecco

My best friend plays Cap and its super frustrating to play against. Cause you get stuck in a loop and cant do anything, its kinda like those god awful tron combos.

Grecco said:
My best friend plays Cap and its super frustrating to play against. Cause you get stuck in a loop and cant do anything, its kinda like those god awful tron combos.
Hey maybe Super MvC3 will have Mega Crash

He is not as fast as Wolverine in that you can actually SEE his teleports and react to stuff he does. But you can't do anything about his priority, so if you are stuck in a corner against Zero you just have to block/super jump your way out of it if he allows it.
Everyone has priority over Dormammu close up, so Zero doesn't really phase me. It's not a particular aspect of him that scares me.

Although I don't know much about Captain America, haven't played enough good Caps. His normals are surprisingly good and his Shield Slash assist is solid as hell.
It's mostly just that he can respond to every single one of Dormammu's specials, including Flame Carpet, with Charging Star into Hyper Charging Star, and the shit works. There's literally no option for me other than to rush him down, because Dormammu's entire moveset is punishable on reaction.

Hey maybe Super MvC3 will have Mega Crash
No thank you.

Parallax Scroll said:
sQK8R.jpg

Hot damn.

Sup guys. Anyone down for some games later today? PSN Lobby tonight: we're staring at cards! be there or be low-tier Ryu.
Scrubs only?

LakeEarth

Yesterday I had another one of those "dominate entire team, get raped by x-factor Wesker" moments. I need to figure out how to get away from him when a new character comes in.

Dahbomb said:
That would require a different team for sure. :(

Recently I have gotten this mind boggling fear of Zero. I lose to him more often that I should. Back of my mind keeps saying "RESPECT THAT PRIORITY" which allows him to steam roll me.

I definitely have to step up my anti-Zero game. I am free to Zero.
Ahaha, that's exactly how I'd describe my feelings for zero. Fear. No other character comes close to evoking that emotion, either. I'd rather fight a team of three Dark Phoenixes than one great Zero. I've got 3k+ matches under my belt and the only perfects I've given away were to two Zero centric teams.

Goddamn Johnny Bosch.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
some salt:

you dont know how bad Proton Canon is till you play Tony(for a month now). its only good to end combos and DHC in. Horrible defense beam. I swear Cr H is just there to annoy and fuck up combos. And damnit Tony your Unibeam is better as an assist then when you're actually in. But hey, your flight combos are the coolest looking shit ever.

Gamma charge(forward) assist does not have armor? or maybe its the start-up is so slow. Lost my hulk while assisting like 10 times last night. SRK guide only has Up Charge with armor. And Wesker vs Hulk....ggrrrr SMASH.

Dahbomb

It's mostly just that he can respond to every single one of Dormammu's specials, including Flame Carpet, with Charging Star into Hyper Charging Star, and the shit works. There's literally no option for me other than to rush him down, because Dormammu's entire moveset is punishable on reaction.
As a Wolverine/Wesker player some of the time, Captain America is free as hell. Wesker counters every hyper of Cap (and gun shots him from across the screen) and Wolverine goes over and under shield slashes for free.
we're staring at cards! be there or be low-tier Ryu.
Ryu isn't low tier.

Bait and punish.
That's not why I said no. It's because it trivializes hypers, and characters like Dark Phoenix would become ridiculously powerful.

Yesterday I had another one of those "dominate entire team, get raped by x-factor Wesker" moments. I need to figure out how to get away from him when a new character comes in.
Superjump, fly, lolz.

Gamma charge(forward) assist does not have armor? or maybe its the start-up is so slow. Lost my hulk while assisting like 10 times last night. SRK guide only has Up Charge with armor. And Wesker vs Hulk....ggrrrr SMASH.
Only the anti-air has super armor.

As a Wolverine/Wesker player some of the time, Captain America is free as hell. Wesker counters every hyper of Cap (and gun shots him from across the screen) and Wolverine goes over and under shield slashes for free.
Oh, I know it's just a matchup think. I'm just trying to demonstrate that what you fear is relative to what you play.

LakeEarth

Karsticles said:
Superjump, fly, lolz.
I did. I came in with Spencer, grappled across the screen, when I landed he was still able to get under me and cross me up and take him out in one combo. I then air dashed up with Doom, did the air super to get him off me, but before I hit the ground he got me again, done in one combo. I need to figure out a safer way to get on the ground when the pressure is on.

I'm thinking when I feel a cross-up coming I should air S with Spencer since that hits behind me. And with Doom, air-dash forward then foot dive away.

I did. I came in with Spencer, grappled across the screen, when I landed he was still able to get under me and cross me up and take him out in one combo. I then air dashed up with Doom, did the air super to get him off me, but before I hit the ground he got me again, done in one combo. I need to figure out a safer way to get on the ground when the pressure is on.

I'm thinking when I feel a cross-up coming I should air S with Spencer since that hits behind me. And with Doom, air-dash forward then foot dive away.
I don't know what to say other than work on your blocking. I've been playing BlazBlue recently as Tager, and it's doing wonders for my blocking ability. I literally had a match last night where I did nothing but block for the first 30 seconds against an opponent while I learned his attack string flow. Also, I wouldn't use air Photon Array naked, it tends to whiff and put you in an awkward situation. With Doom, I would superjump, f.H, and if my opponent catches up, enter Flight, Photon Shot L, f.H, etc. I don't use Spencer, so that's more difficult to comment on.

so the Guide book lied?

HULK FUCKIN SMASH!!!!!!!
The book has a lot wrong, unfortunately. Most recently, the Dante forums on SRK discovered that the frame data on Air Trick has been wrong all this time.

Dahbomb

Threi said:
Wesker's ground S beats Spencer's air S clean.

Dat top-tier priority
Wesker's ground S beats a lot of stuff from the air clean. Like Tron's j.H.

And it's -1 on block (basically unpunishable).

Oh and Singapore getting in on DAT Mahvel hype.
Dante forums on SRK discovered that the frame data on Air Trick has been wrong all this time.
What about it is wrong? I don't have the guide on me so I don't know the frame data on that move.

Kimosabae

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
some salt:

you dont know how bad Proton Canon is till you play Tony(for a month now). its only good to end combos and DHC in. Horrible defense beam.

Wrong!

Proton Canon has a 3 frame-physical-attack startup with a hitbox that circles Iron Man's entire body and extends beyond a character length away (in front of him).

Shit's stupid.

Don't think of it as a long-range punish Beam Super like Ryu/Akuma.

I swear Cr H is just there to annoy and fuck up combos.

Wrong again! It's there to distinguish itself from 90% of the roster's generic and relatively useless cr. Hs by allowing you to setup Okizeme using the Soft Knockdown, combo using your assist, or zone with a slow-moving-homing-projectile (or anything else you manage to innovate). Don't get salty because it his Magic Series isn't Wolverine herp derp - just get conscious.

And damnit Tony your Unibeam is better as an assist then when you're actually in.

3 strikes, you're outta there!

Light Unibeam, is 0 on block. Medium is +4 and Hard is + 5. Basically, if an opponent makes contact with Unibeam in a zoning war, you're winning. You can even get mixup setups with a lock down assist and using it med-close range.

Furthermore, all versions can be comboed out of - particularly TK Unibeam.

But hey, your flight combos are the coolest looking shit ever.

Yah.

Kimosabae said:
Wrong again! It's there to distinguish itself from 90% of the roster's generic and relatively useless cr. Hs by allowing you to setup Okizeme using the Soft Knockdown, combo using your assist, or zone with a slow-moving-homing-projectile (or anything else you manage to innovate). Don't get salty because it his Magic Series isn't Wolverine herp derp - just get conscious.

Naw, cr. H is pretty bad. If there were a soft knockdown, and using an assist, why wouldn't I use something like unibeam or even smart bombs?

Kimosabae

Banned
Prototype-03 said:
Naw, cr. H is pretty bad. If there were a soft knockdown, and using an assist, why wouldn't I use something like unibeam or even smart bombs?

This makes no sense. Unibeam and Smart Bombs don't knockdown.

Do you actually play Iron Man?

Let's remember we're talking about a game were most normals only facilitate chain combos and are garbage on their own. Again, relative to most of the cast's cr. H, Iron Man's is great, because you can actually do something outside put it in a magic series.

That's the point.

*edit*

I think I see what you're saying. If you gain a soft knockdown, you'd rather spam more projectiles? Fine. That's you're inclination. I like to rushdown and mixup for damage.

Kimosabae said:
I think I see what you're saying. If you gain a soft knockdown, you'd rather spam more projectiles? Fine. That's you're inclination. I like to rushdown and mixup for damage.

How does cr.H help you rushdown and mixup? That actually slows me down. It has a slow start up and is punishable (without an assist). It also breaks your momentum.

edit: I'm one of the few who thinks ironman is hidden top tier, but I also think that cr.H should never be used. Outside of his funky hitboxes, he's awesome. Someone who invests a lot of time in him will make him ridiculous.

Kimosabae

Banned
Prototype-03 said:
How does cr.H help you rushdown and mixup?

Because it knocks down, giving you the chance to get in. Plus, it gives advantage on block. Yeah, the start up time is slow. Just means you have to deliberately work it into your game.

Karsticles said:
That's not why I said no. It's because it trivializes hypers, and characters like Dark Phoenix would become ridiculously powerful.
Mega Crash wasn't free. It came at the cost of 2 meters. And if you blocked it, the opponent was open to a free combo.

Dahbomb

I have come up with my personal top 5 characters VS Phoenix/D. Phoenix. Of course for the sake of "match up" it is assumed that these characters also have access to LVL3 X Factor and some meter.

1) Dormammu - Hands down, the best anti-Phoenix character in the game. If Phoenix is without 5 meters and is in the air (as in coming after a character kill), Dormammu has the easiest time chipping her to death. If she attempts a teleport punish against Stalking Flare, Dorm can X factor punish that for the win. Against Dark Phoenix, Dormammu has the greatest chance of taking down D Phoenix especially with the might that is 3D0C (Big Bang). Flame Carpet, Chaotic Flame, Pillars and teleports, Dormammu pretty much has everything he needs to take on Phoenix. Phoenix player has to respect a Dorm player with 3D's charged up. As long as Phoenix remains a viable tournament character in MVC3, Dormammu is going to stay tournament viable as well.

2) Magneto - 2nd in line to Dorm is Magneto. 7 frame beams is tough even for Phoenix to over come. With a considerable speed boost in LVL3 X Factor, even Phoenix has a hard time keeping Magneto in check. Phoenix cannot approach Magneto from the front, she will get Magnetic Shockwave to the face. If Magneto has 3 bars, then he has effectively won the match against Phoenix as long as he doesn't get opened up. Gravity Squeeze puts Phoenix player on MAXIMUM ALERT, it's just too bad you might not always have those 3 bars. Magneto also never sees much play against Phoenix because most people use him up the order (exception being MastaCJ who uses Magneto as anchor). Phoenix also can't teleport as Magneto's anti-air jab can snuff her teleports (of course she will never do it naked, always does it with fireballs/traps).

3) Dante - No one can run away from Dante and Phoenix is no exception. Phoenix again has to be extra careful about choosing which moves to use against Dante because he can teleport on command to punish her from any range. In addition, Dante has access to 2 invincible moves both of which he can use to hit confirm into a death combo for Phoenix. Hammer at close range and Vortex (Devil Trigger move) for long range. Dante also has homing projectiles to keep Phoenix in check. Jam Session means Phoenix is not even safe high in the screen and Dante can just Jam Session infinite her to death (in X factor) or Devil Trigger DHC into something like Taskmaster up Legion arrows or up Shinkuu Hadouken. There is also some very secret technology that allows Dante to by pass the "blast" created by the Phoenix transformation and kill her while transforming but this is too situational/gimmicky to be of use in an actual match.

4) Akuma - Akuma can also very easily chip out regular Phoenix but against D. Phoenix he is no slouch. Sporting one of the fastest (if not THE fastest) beam hyper in the game, any wrong button press by a Phoenix player is death by the hands of Akuma. Phoenix players also much respect the priority of the Tatsu kicks. Akuma also has the invincible Shoryuken hyper which ends up doing work if you need it. Of course there is the Raging Demon trap you can attempt to do (not advisable) upon Phoenix's transformation but like the Dante trick, it is too situational and gimmicky to use in a real match.

5) Super Skrull - This was a wild card. After doing a lot of soul searching and putting it to the test, I think Super Skrull is a very good anti-Phoenix character. Skrull can touch any corner of the screen and has very high damage attacks (well in X Factor he just needs a touch on Phoenix). Skrull on anchor is some scary shit and Phoenix is just as scared of a Skrull in X Factor. The long ranged grabs, teleport meteor smash and quick start up Inferno hyper are just enough tools the Skrull needs to kill off Phoenix. A Phoenix player is already taking a huge gamble just putting Phoenix on their team and Skrull is also another character that loves to gamble.

If you have some good anti-Phoenix characters, please share.

And another thing... is it possible for Daigo to be salty over MVC3? If he loses of course. Seeing as how just about everyone has experienced that in MVC3 already, I wonder if Daigo is immune to it.

Iron Man's cr.H is not that bad actually. If you are going in for a block string and you know you will not hit confirm, you can add that at the end of it and maintain pressure (and chip). It's just not for combo strings. Iron Man is hidden "high" tier, I don't think he is going to be top tier unless some really absurd technology comes up for him. He has damage, he has meter building capacity, he has nice specials, good air to air normals, decent damage off of throws, good to great mobility, he can zone it out, his LVL3 gets the job done and you can follow it up for more damage if needed, comes with a very good beam assist as well as a good anti-air assist and he has mix ups (2 different kinds of overheads)... his problem? Magneto does everything that Iron Man does only better. Iron Man only gets the benefit of having more health.

It's almost EXACTLY like the Akuma/Ryu dilemma. Except Iron Man has more room for growth.

Solune

Dahbomb said:
Iron Man's cr.H is not that bad actually. If you are going in for a block string and you know you will not hit confirm, you can add that at the end of it and maintain pressure (and chip). It's just not for combo strings.
No it's bad, the likelihood of someone intentionally using C.H as a block string move is pretty absurd. It has a huge startup so it can be easy for your opponent to mash and get a counterhit. 2 if you're in range for C.M you might as well go for S.H which goes into your BnB anyways and you can actually special cancel S.H in case it gets blocked anyways. In practice you can make C.H useful outside of combos but Iron Man is better for getting in and has better projectiles anyways.

Dahbomb

Meant when you expect an advancing guard or when they are just outside the range of your other normals. They push block you, you throw a cr.H out.

Also st.H and his launcher are - on block so if those get blocked you HAVE to special cancel or you will get punished especially after the launcher. And the best special to cancel into is Repulsor Blast -> Repulsor Spread.

Personally, I don't use cr.H much at all. I just randomly throw it out there just for the troll factor. I think it's biggest weakness is that it's not special/hyper cancellable.
1 mil no assist, no level 3 no x-factor necessary combos. For crying out loud.
Yeah that was wild when I saw that. Though there are characters which can do that much damage with 2 hypers.

Thing about Taskmaster is that his down arrows hyper do unscaled damage if hitting a grounded opponent which really inflates all of his combos. That and his combos usually have a lot of heavy hits in them.

Dahbomb

Tokido: "We (him and Daigo) are very seriously practicing MAHVEL"

He says that Daigo plays with a lot of characters and he considers himself to be a top player in Japan (duh).

And Tokido says Japanese players can beat USA players. MVC2 experience is NOT going to come in handy.

challenge-accepted.png

So I've decided to sell out and make an alt team of 10Stars (Dante-X23-Tron) to compliment my Spidey-IM-X23.

Dante is insanely fun but holy shit is there tons to learn with him. So many options and cancels...LTTP I know but still. He's awesome.

This is the game that keeps on giving :D.

Oh yeah, @that Task combo...the rich get richer.

Dahbomb

_dementia said:
Ice Man does not five a fuck about chip damage, but he isn't top tier or anything.
That's why I hate him. He isn't even good but the fact that he DOESN'T TAKE CHIP DAMAGE (seriously that has to be one of the biggest oversights in a Capcom fighting game yet) is just godlike bull shit.

Although he was "top tier" when the game was very new along with Guile and Zangief grab assist. LOL old skool Mahvel...

I just recently learned that Ice Man is an Omega level mutant. Crazy...

h3ro said:
I'm really excited to see Daigo Mahvel technology.
I would cream my pants at a Justin Wong vs Daigo Mahvel showdown. It would be stuff of legends.

Tokido was super secretive about Daigo in that commentary video. Daigo is such a huge unknown factor for Mahvel it's just mind boggling. I know the whole video was a publicity stunt and what not, but he still said it meaning he should be able to back it up.

And it's not like the Japanese don't know what the Americans are up to, they watch our stuff too.

Neki

Killa Sasa said:
So I've decided to sell out and make an alt team of 10Stars (Dante-X23-Tron) to compliment my Spidey-IM-X23.

Dante is insanely fun but holy shit is there tons to learn with him. So many options and cancels...LTTP I know but still. He's awesome.

This is the game that keeps on giving :D.

Oh yeah, @that Task combo...the rich get richer.

only problem I have with this team is Tron is an extremely poor anchor. extremely poor!

Ultimoo said:
only problem I have with this team is Tron is an extremely poor anchor. extremely poor!

Yeah I agree, but since 10Stars is doing it too and blowing a lot of people up, I think I'm gonna see if I can ride that wave. Tron has some ugly, ugly matchups though. Dante benefits well from X-23's ankle slice for air throw pickup and acid rain unblockables, as well as getting good stuff from Gustaff. And X-23 is crazy good in level 2 x-factor while also benefitting a lot from something like Gustaff.

I consider it the Marvel 2 approach of two great points and a great assist.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
h3ro said:
I'm really excited to see Daigo Mahvel technology.
Its called Pot Beasting.

"Rare footage of Daigo actually adding to the prize pot"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom