• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nert

header5.jpg

smurfx

get some go again
i'm not very familiar with the tournament scene but what does a yellowcard do? take away some of his 2nd place prize money?

smurfx said:
i'm not very familiar with the tournament scene but what does a yellowcard do? take away some of his 2nd place prize money?

The actual yellow card, given out by the EVO folks, took away the EVO points JWong gained from PowerUp for MVC3---and it meant that if he got another he'd be banned from EVO.

I think anyone talking about Chris G getting a yellow card is just joking about the previous incident.

Ok I think this is the easiest Magneto BnB that does a ton of damage for not much meter.

2HS, jH adf, jMH flight, jLH adf, jH adf, jH adf, jH adf, jH adf, jMMHS, Gravity Squeeze, dash, H+A1(hidden missiles) xx L Hyper Grav, 2HS, jS, missiles OTG, H xx L Hyper Grav, S, jS

It's just a basic flight combo, but it does over a million damage and costs under a bar to perform. I'm working on another variation that's a little harder:

2HS, jH air dash down forward, jH flight, jLH adf, jH adf, jH adf, jH air dash down forward, jH, unfly, H+A1(hidden missiles) xx L Hyper Grav, 2HS, jS, missiles OTG, H xx L Hyper Grav, backdash Magnetic Tempest DHC Sphere Flame, tridash, S, Buktooth Loop.

This one's a kill combo that builds a fuck ton of meter, and it's not as hard as the Alioune combo or the hyper grav loop. It's kind of weird, though, so I need to test it more. You can accidentally go under the air dash height limit, so it's a little wonky.

Also, I'm really liking Viewtiful Joe and MODOK, but I'm having trouble with Felicia in general and with making reliable MODOK combos. I'll probably need to look up what people have come up with for them. Joe and MODOK really like having a low assist and Felicia is the best anchor out of the ranged low assist characters, so this team kind of comes as a package.

I'm new to playing this game online (PSN).

What's the best way to play people of a similar skill level after ranking up from rookie? I was getting people with less than 20-30 matches played total to suddenly playing people that have over 1k matches experience.

Generally playing better players makes you a better player, but this jump seems a bit steep, even if some of these people are awful (like me).

smurfx

get some go again
letsbereasonable said:

What's the best way to play people of a similar skill level after ranking up from rookie? I was getting people with less than 20-30 matches played total to suddenly playing people that have over 1k matches experience.

Generally playing better players makes you a better player, but this jump seems a bit steep, even if some of these people are awful (like me).
only thing you can do is put rank limit to same instead of any. i sometimes get matched up with player ranked people and i'm 4th lord. i should hopefully get my ssf4 pad tomorrow hopefully so i'll finally be playing again. its been tough not being able to play. :(

Neki

note to self: do not play marvel past 12

started to play so terribly.

maybe I'm just not having fun anymore, I don't know. D: maybe I need a change of scenery and characters.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
letsbereasonable said:

I ranked up to Fighter and then have just been doing Player Matches ever since then. I find that the match making service works pretty well, the opponents that I run into I'm about 50/50 against them.

If you're getting bodied by the lowest class opponents I'd recommend spending sometime offline learning more, maybe sparing against the computer on Hard in Training Mode.

What's with all the swag jokes?

Reallly trying to learn Modok. It sucks that I can get away with cube/beam spam in 90% of matches, though :/. Still trying to do the 2x wavedash followup (midscreen combo) reliably.
You just have to get out of your comfort zone. Even if I can 100% zone my opponent with Dormammu, I'll rush sometimes just to keep myself fresh.

Taskmaster and Dormammu are the top 2 characters that work equally amazing at any 3 of the positions on the team. Dante I suppose too, but he's considerably better on point.
I don't see Dormammu as being nearly as versatile in team placement as some other characters, like Wesker.

Taskmaster's arrows decimate assists. A couple of arrows(not hyper) will take off nearly 1/5th or Morrigan's life. Is there no damage scaling on the arrows?
There's no damage scaling on assists if the point character blocks the attack.

I also now have winning records against most of PSN-GAF, besides Q, who has like, 12 wins on me, rofl. I'll get him one day!
Hmm, does it really count for a winning record when most of your wins were against my alt teams? ;-)

We have a good connection, we should play again sometime.

@Kars: oh god, Sentinel on point is so annoying, Ammy gets touched once and she's dead. :( That last game Tron was beating up on Sent like crazy though, rofl. Too bad for d/cs. Your dorm has such a long time to hit-confirm it's ridiculous, can't believe that actually even works. I got nothing to say about your doom besides you got me with that full screen footdive that one time, rofl, besides that, he was probably your weakest character. Hidden missile spam is unbearable though, ugh. My favourite comeback is the Tron reverse OCV, how does Tron come back? lol? Sentinel XF3 also put you down a couple of times. Too bad I don't have any other teams, you were switching it up pretty well. Also, touch of death combos on Tron are imba. :D
I don't even know how you can complain about Sentinel on point when you play Amaterasu on point backed by Tron assist.

Yeah, I haven't played in a week or two, and I decided to give an old team setup a try (Sentinel/Dormammu/Doom) as my main team again. I used the team back in week 2 of the game's arrival, and then dropped it a week before Sentinel got the health nerf because he's so frustrating to use on point against competent players. I gave the team a try again last weekend.

Regardless of the team, Dormammu usually ends up pulling most of the weight. Doom is definitely my weakest, and it's because most of my opponents never get him out on the screen, so I don't get a lot of practice in with him. Last night I landed the Buktooth loop 5 times or so against various opponents though, which tops my previous record of landing it once in an evening.

Most of the time Tron hit me, it was because I keep forgetting that in this game, you can't block while dashing. So I would dash back to create space, and then get whacked in the face. I've been playing a lot of BlazBlue, and my main's backdash has invincibility frames almost until recovery.

Yeah, level 3 X-Factor is pretty dumb.

What particular Dormammu hit confirmation length are you thinking of? c.M? Personally, I would gladly trade the hit confirm length for:
1) A universal hit confirm; c.L, c.M whiffs against a lot of the cast (including Amaterasu) even on hit

2) A safer launcher, or a more intuitive and safe blockstring.

GGs, anyway.

watching Captain America beat people is so hype for some reason, I don't know why, LOL.
Seriously, of the entire cast, Captain America beats me the most. Charging Star just lolz at Dormammu's entire moveset.

fricking Dormamu has fricking amazing anti-air. What is the attack where he's crouching and his hand is on fire? Is that c.M or c.H? Karsticles was abusing that against me when I was playing with Tron earlier. :(
Yeah, it's c.M. c.H is where he swipes the ground and a blue streak appears. As a rule, if it has a "plink" sound and a little splash effect, it's Dormammu's Light. If his hand is on fire, it's a Medium. If a blue streak follows his arm path, it's a Heavy. c.M is one of the best anti-airs in the game, people don't use it enough, myself included. It rocks Tron pretty hard, I just need to get better at timing it.

Alucrid

Banned
Man if Taskmaster had an over head he would be so much better. Unless he does have one that I don't know about. But I don't think he does....does he?

So East Coast Throwdown 3 is at the end of the month and I was just wondering if any Gaffers planned on heading up/down to Morristown, NJ for the event. I am definitely going as I live only 40-45 minutes away for the venue (if Google maps is to be believed). I will probably be competing (or as I like to call it, throwing my money away) in AE and Mahvel.....and maybe Arcana Heart...

Sure would be awesome to finally put some faces to all these avatars and usernames! ^_^

I'm probably going to ECT with some Arcana Heart players. Since it's on the east coast (Poverty Land), it might be the only AH3 major to have over 15 players! If I don't go to ECT, then I'm going to MWC. I need to go to an out of state major.

sonicspear64 said:
I'm probably going to ECT with some Arcana Heart players. Since it's on the east coast (Poverty Land), it might be the only AH3 major to have over 15 players! If I don't go to ECT, then I'm going to MWC. I need to go to an out of state major.
Isn't UFGT the same as MWC (and therefore, already happened?)

vg260

Capcom's complete refusal to say a single word about this game is really frustrating. I wonder how long Capcom is going to remain completely silent about this game before we hear anything. I'm not expecting anything from E3. There's still about 6 or 7 weeks left of event mode releases, right?

Dahbomb

enzo_gt said:
Yeah just tried doing it myself, I spoke too soon. Much trickier than I thought when it comes to execution.

Also, what do you use to start IM combos from the air, down H, S or j.M? Not including smart bomb setups. To be clear, is it combo specific or do you universally use one specific normal in the air? I'm not sure which is best exactly, as I've found all 3 kind of useful outright, but I'm wondering if there is a "go-to" one to use.
Sorry for the late response, been busy.

I like j.M for most air to air situations and when I know the opponent is just a bit far from my reach and regular combos. I also use j.M whenever I am dashing forward.

I like j. d+H when I have the opponent pinned down and I am going in for the kill. The d+H hits at an angle that is able to catch most opponents, big or small.

I like j.S when I am doing flight mode mix ups on low blocking opponent. Works similar to Magneto's but it's sort of better for Iron Man as his flight mode is faster and harder to read than Iron man's. You can also do d+H, S into cr.L, cr.M here too for the double overhead (this may not work on everyone). No one I have used it against has been able to block it especially after cr.L, cr.M.

Chavelo

Question: For those that don't like Jaha commentating, what do you think of Yipes phrases and his commentating?

Surely you must hate the "pringles" and "curley moustaches"...

Chavelo said:
Question: For those that don't like Jaha commentating, what do you think of Yipes phrases and his commentating?

Difference is Yipes is talking about the match as he says these things. Jaha just talks aimlessly about everything but the game.

2&2 said:
Capcom's complete refusal to say a single word about this game is really frustrating. I wonder how long Capcom is going to remain completely silent about this game before we hear anything. I'm not expecting anything from E3. There's still about 6 or 7 weeks left of event mode releases, right?

Expect Super

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Difference is Yipes is talking about the match as he says these things. Jaha just talks aimlessly about everything but the game.
This. I find a lot of break "commentary" has nothing to do with the matches as they play.

Chavelo said:

You must not listen to him commentate. He rarely uses pringles and the like anymore.

Ferrio

Banned
Chavelo said:

I'm not fond of Yipes that much either, but least he's in the ballpark when on the mic.

This guy was just repeating the same fucking word over and over again, and playing shitty music over a match.

not sure if it has been mention, while in Xfactor and you are using Doom's Hidden Missile Assist, its doesn't home in on the opponent's location too well. It only homes behind the opponent and the distance increases depends on the Xfactor level.

Not sure if its a bug, but of course only possible to get lvl 3 xfactor with Doom in training mode. Still its possible with xfactor lvl 2.

EDIT: god dam same shit with Doom on point Hidden Missile in lv 3 xfactor.

Neki

I don't even know how you can complain about Sentinel on point when you play Amaterasu on point backed by Tron assist.
I don't see the problem, Ammy and Tron assist are low tier, oh yeah.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Sorry for the late response, been busy.

I like j.M for most air to air situations and when I know the opponent is just a bit far from my reach and regular combos. I also use j.M whenever I am dashing forward.

I like j. d+H when I have the opponent pinned down and I am going in for the kill. The d+H hits at an angle that is able to catch most opponents, big or small.

I like j.S when I am doing flight mode mix ups on low blocking opponent. Works similar to Magneto's but it's sort of better for Iron Man as his flight mode is faster and harder to read than Iron man's. You can also do d+H, S into cr.L, cr.M here too for the double overhead (this may not work on everyone). No one I have used it against has been able to block it especially after cr.L, cr.M.
Props for the reply. I've been really stuck on aerial options with IM, because it's by far the best way to get in with him, instead of gambling the cr.L cr.M. S. Definitely will try out that double overhead.

_dementia said:
I've watched ustream on PS3. It works. Not sure about Justin. Do you have a smartphone?
Is the JustinTV app any good? I used it a while back and it was pretty shit. Nothing synced up or streamed without MAJOR stuttering. And the UI was garbage too.

Jaha is really funny, but he's overdoing it quite a fair bit. Reaching based god joke saturation way too quickly. Doesn't help that Quotes or anyone else goes silent while he's putting on the show either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom