• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

Wouldn't the game's "Touch of Death" combo issue be solved if they added a "quick recovery" technique which costed 1 bar and could only be done on the ground(not bounce)? Basically a breaker, but only applies when people go for OTG.

shaowebb

SPENCER COMBO OF DEATH

Shoutouts to Trag13 for creating this thing

Works anywhere on screen and does over 1,300,000 using no assists and only 1meter and lvl 1 x-factor.
Yes it works on Arthur and Ammy.

c.L-c.M-H xx QCB+PP xx XFC, c.M-H-S, sj.M-M-H-S, jump (up/forward), air QCF+M, air S, land, M xx QCF+S xx QCF+PP, jump (up), air QCF+H

This is why Spencer is one of the best anchors ever. With one meter and lvl 1 x-factor he can kill any character in the game.
With multiple meters he gets higher x-factor bonuses and more bionic arms to run with and can kill any character in the game potentially even if they are using x-factor themselves.

Personally I still like using Haggar lariat to set em up and then running bionic arm xfc bionic arm to body two characters, but this combo is fucking beautiful and I thought Spencer had stayed too silent lately so I wanted to bring back those final round moments with this post.

Neki

Combofiend has some touch of death combos with Spencer only using two meters and no x-factor. think it requires dhc glitch though. he does have a sick double bionic arm combo though.

shaowebb

salva said:
And your Haggar assist is BS. Dude gets some invincibility time wtf.

Haggar Lariat assist. Shuts down jump ins, assists, and rushdowns while staying out long enough to setup for one big fat bodying of one to two characters.

I've always wondered if it could trump a full team hyper and go into the machine gun punch hyper then DHC so long as no one on the opposing team hyper had invincibility on their move.

It'd be pretty boss to end a team hyper attempt in such a way if possible, because you could style on 3 characters at once for the remainder of your combo afterwards until the were all dead. Maximum salt.

Neki

I've honestly never run into Haggar Assist online. I've run into Haggar on point, but no assist. I'm sure it'd blow me up the first couple of times, but it's exactly like Tron assist in that way. :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ultimoo said:
I've honestly never run into Haggar Assist online. I've run into Haggar on point, but no assist. I'm sure it'd blow me up the first couple of times, but it's exactly like Tron assist in that way. :p
It's kind of like Tron assist, except it will constantly surprise you at how many invincibility frames it has. Lariat through a hailstorm, Haggar don' give a fuck.

jdub03

There are only two people I've played online who use haggar assist. smurf and johnst or something like that. Smurfs team is perfect for it because he zones you out. When you finally get in you forget about the assist and it blows you up. Johnst just waits around with dr doom in hopes that you come in and get hit. He does have a nice foot dive combo off of it but if you destroy his doom he's free.

You have no idea how awesome this really is. It's been a pain to see every character being dissected while Hsien-Ko sits in the corner collecting dust. This whole time it's been a matter of making gold pendulum or death with nothing in between and it really started looking pathetic when I watch Viscant decimate people with Wesker or I see spencer styling on everyone.

I am going to put so much work into this that it's not even funny. Thank you so much for writing this all up. It's just a breath of fresh air after all the neglect...
I hope you can make it work for you.

She's bad. Even if you get good with her... what are you going to do? Her damage is pathetic. All the good teams consist of characters that if they touch you, you're dead. Hsein-ko doesn't have that option. Gold assist is nice, but then you have to have her as anchor.
Can Hsien-ko DHC trick? I don't even know if people have explored it.

Also using the armor on point, I don't think it works as well in practice as you point out. They just have to just not attack you for 5 seconds, or just beam your ass.
Well, that's the point; they can't attack you.

Also that team of (Hsein/Wesker/Mor) gives you no good assists for Hsein when she's on point.
Ya you get meter from morrigan, and OTG from wesker. But how you going to approach someone, or get someone off your ass?
Unless you're full-screen, Senpu Bu travels very quickly. I expect that you will take damage as part of the strategy, but once you get in, you're in. Why would you need to get someone off of you when you have hyper armor? Just chew through your opponent.

But she's slow as shit, and with no assists to keep them locked down they'll just jump/fly/teleport away. You could pendulum over, and maybe score a hit but then what? Land some combo that does maybe 50% damage? Then they one shot your ass.
She's not that slow, actually. Have you ever plink dashed with her? She's not Wolverine, but she's not as slow as people make her out to be. The plink dash approach also minimizes damage you take from beams and such - interesting fit, eh?

Also, doesn't she have decent mix-up in the corner? If you can hit your opponent, it should be easy to corner them if you don't mind burning a meter for her sword super. I've never had a problem with Hsien's damage or anything, just her speed.
She has awesome mix-ups, and can even set up her own unblockables.

In the BroDorm handbook, it is written that we should never admit this in public.
Hah.

Losing Sentinel in one and a half combos is :(
One and a half? I usually don't survive the first one. I want his health back!!!!

No? What mix-up could she possibly have in the corner. At best you can maybe try to go for command throw.
Hsien-ko's ways of opening people up:
1) Anki Hou H followed by a low attack (unblockable).
2) She can perform multiple air attacks before landing; mix this up with not performing the second air attack.
3) Command throw.
4) Dashing behind your opponent while calling an assist; cancel the dash animation into a normal to mess with your opponent.
5) Air attacks + low hitting assist unblockable.

Hsien-ko's unique way of staying in the air makes her a good candidate for unblockable setups.

my heart cant handle this game anymore. I quit.
I like to take breaks and play BBCS or RPGs. So relaxing.

on a more serious note, Q stop dodging me and let's play. salty runback, first to ten, LET's GOOOOOOO.
I don't think he even checks this thread anymore.

Q, Prototype and Ferrio bounced a while back. Q seems to be especially attached to BlazBlue.
While Marvel is fun and hype, BlazBlue is inarguably the superior fighting game.

Edit: I might change this avatar down the road too. Fucking Capcom had to gimp Hsien-Ko of all characters...
Don't change the avatar, I won't know who you are!

Magneto is easy to use? You could've fooled me
Ease of use in reference to their mechanics, not execution level. Magneto requires a ton of execution, but he's also really responsive, fast, and mobile. He's free flowing. He's not, say, Super-Skrull, who has awkward attacks and setups, and you have to learn Skrull for Skrull. Magneto isn't difficult to play conceptually - anyone can pick him up and use him, because his playstyle is pretty standard.

FU. Once again, still hate Hulk. All he does is Gamma Charge and break through all my attacks. Why does his ground bouncing attacks have to get super armor too? so ridiculous and easy to hitconfirm then. -_- But Hulk gets blown up with drones pressure SO ALL GOOD I GUESS. Also working on a new team of Dorm/Wesker/Sent, but that hasn't worked out yet.
You have Tron assist - how is Hulk touching you?

Is the Marvel guide right? Does Iron Man really get 230% damage on top of his crazy 21% speed increase in lvl 3 x-factor?
Nope, it's an error.

Anybody have a good team order for wesker/dormammu/magneto. I've been toying with it and this seems to be the best setup. Magneto can fight without and assist. Wesker and dorm benefit from having beam assist coupled with their teleports.
You're using MastaCJ's team - the order should be obvious unless you don't like Dormammu on point.

At least until skullgirls comes out. I'm not going to be silly and pretend that it'll steal even one bit of marketshare, but it's very existence is enough to set something in motion.
I hate the Skullgirls character designs, otherwise I'd look into it.

- Increase the damage on Jill's gun hyper slightly, it's even more embarrassing than Phantom Dance in it's current state
It does great damage, you just have to DHC into it properly.

There are only two people I've played online who use haggar assist. smurf and johnst or something like that. Smurfs team is perfect for it because he zones you out. When you finally get in you forget about the assist and it blows you up. Johnst just waits around with dr doom in hopes that you come in and get hit. He does have a nice foot dive combo off of it but if you destroy his doom he's free.
One of my semi-frequent sparring partners uses Viewtiful Joe + Haggar. That Lariat is so irritating, because during the entire animation Joe just gets to walk up to you and decide whether he wants to use his standing overhead or crouching attack. It's so perfect for him.

LakeEarth

You're using MastaCJ's team - the order should be obvious unless you don't like Dormammu on point.
Bingo. Dormammu loves a good beam assist, and low shot assist adds an extra 40-50% damage on every combo you land with Dormammu. Also, Wesker on anchor for that level 3 x-factor bullshit.

Dahbomb

This post was made to answer a particular response but it got out of hand as just a response to a singular post so I will just post it without any context.

Why MVC3 does not need any balance changes within the next few months (aside from glitches fixes which is a different case):

*Game is still new and stuff is being discovered on a daily basis. One day a character is Low tier next day he is Mid tier.

*Speaking of tier, there is nothing definitive. I have seen so many tier lists for this game but none are able to tell the full story. I see Wolverine as #1 character by a lot of people yet it's She Hulk who has played #1 in ALL MVC3 majors thus far. Yet She Hulk only makes like top 10/15 in most tier list. I see it as a division between "what's good now" and "what's good in theory".

*So many wild card characters in this game and match ups aren't fully explored. Stuff like a Gold armored Hsien Ko (supposed worst character in the game) is a HARD COUNTER against Wolverine (supposed best character in the game). MODOK in particular counters some of the higher tier characters very well but loses to some mid tier characters who is also a definitive wild card character.

*Battle of assists vs point character. Does Tron require buffs on point or nerf on assist? How do you even balance something like that? Should every character even be good at point when they can have a game changing assist?

*Different meta games in different region. Dante is considered #1 in some East coast regions yet Wesker considered #1 in others. And still some areas consider Phoenix #1. You can definitely tell by the metagame. Hell, for someone who just watches Break Weekly and nothing else they would think that C Viper is the best character in the game (another big wild card character, some people actually rate her as Mid AT BEST).

*X Factor. Even a minor global change on X Factor would shift around tier lists. Someone like Sentinel would drop instantly within tiers, same for Akuma and Phoenix or any other character getting major boosts from X Factor. In fact X factor is so powerful that it causes characters to surpass their maximum tier level (Hulk comes to mind).

*Team synergies. The concept of synergy is simply that one character who may not be all that great alone when paired with another character the combination becomes top tier level. Again, how do you balance this when the team synergy aspect is hardly even explored yet.

This is a completely different monster from MK which is a straight forward 1v1 fighter. You really can't just look at it as character match ups. If you do then you will just realize how absurd that would look when characters like Tron/Sentinel with bad match ups are some of the most used characters in this game with a high win ratio in high level play.

It's no joke but we haven't even reached 15% of what's in MVC3. You know something is wrong when Capcom reps come to tourneys and say "meh these pros are sleeping on so and so characters".

Agreed entirely, Dahbomb. MK can get balance changes because the game is very shallow. Unless it's a mechanics-based change (TACs, X-FActor), I don't think MvC3 should get anything done to it for a while unless it's restoring Sentinel's health to its rightful number.

Dahbomb

TAC was another thing I forgot to touch on. It allows otherwise teams with weak meter building to have a chance at high meter building based on chance. Probably my least favorite mechanic in the game due to it's low risk/high reward mentality. It also really skewers the "tier list" as if your character doesn't have an OTG just TAC.

It definitely needs to be looked at along with X Factor.

Most underused mechanic in the game? Cross over Counter. Literally it can turn the tide of a battle as quick as X Factor. A lot of moves that aren't invulnerable in their usual assist state get invulnerable frames during a Cross Over counter.

Like for example Thor's Might Smash and Zero's Shipuuga assists which gain invulnerable frames during a cross over counter (not during assists of course). Each of them can lead into a nice combo from something that is normally very hard to punish like Akuma's Tatsu's assist (or dare I say it the DIVE KICK). People are so quick to use X Factor to avoid chip or get out of pressure when they can use a Cross over counter with certain characters for maximum profit.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dahbomb said:
TAC was another thing I forgot to touch on. It allows otherwise teams with weak meter building to have a chance at high meter building based on chance. Probably my least favorite mechanic in the game due to it's low risk/high reward mentality. It also really skewers the "tier list" as if your character doesn't have an OTG just TAC.

It definitely needs to be looked at along with X Factor.

I agree that the TAC mechanic needs to be changed, especially when coupled with DHC glitching. If you destroy my character in one combo, I understand that's part of the game. If I live or die based on a 33% guess... that's just stupid. And rage inducing when I guess wrong every single time. :(

JeTmAn81 said:
I actually tried playing some Wolverine today and in spite of all the hype I couldn't seem to combo out of the dive kick very easily. Is there some trick to it?
I don't know. I just throw out random dive kicks, berserker slashes, and akuma assists. Eventually something hits and I autopilot out a combo. Wolverine is balls easy.

So I thought about using Dormammu/Doom/Iron Man, but Doom missiles are too good to save for OTG with Dormammu. Instead, I think I'm going to test out Dormammu/Wesker/Iron Man, which is team Masta Viscant. That and Dante/Wesker/Iron Man will be the teams I'm alternating to see what works. I like Wesker on second because if I mess up, I can DHC into the counter or maximum wesker.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread, at this point, already knows that the type of patching that the MK guys are doing wouldn't suit Marvel, because they are totally different animals. That doesn't let Capcom get off the hook for not saying anything at this point (aside from nickel and diming), especially when the other guys have been so active on making sure shit is right with their product.

If anything what I was saying was, why talk down the other dudes when they aren't actually doing anything wrong with their changes? Needs of the many vs the few: sent didn't need a health nerf, some of the stuff in MK did.

Like for example Thor's Might Smash and Zero's Shipuuga assists which gain invulnerable frames during a cross over counter (not during assists of course). Each of them can lead into a nice combo from something that is normally very hard to punish like Akuma's Tatsu's assist (or dare I say it the DIVE KICK). People are so quick to use X Factor to avoid chip or get out of pressure when they can use a Cross over counter with certain characters for maximum profit.
Agreed entirely.

kirblar

Oldschoolgamer said:
I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread, at this point, already knows that the type of patching that the MK guys are doing wouldn't suit Marvel, because they are totally different animals. That doesn't let Capcom get off the hook for not saying anything at this point (aside from nickel and diming), especially when the other guys have been so active on making sure shit is right with their product.

If anything what I was saying was, why talk down the other dudes when they aren't actually doing anything wrong with their changes? Needs of the many vs the few: sent didn't need a health nerf, some of the stuff in MK did.
Seriously. the MK devs are communicating things clearly to the players, which Capcom could really learn from. They're documenting as many changes as they can, and they're acting like a standard game developer. Capcom's not doing that, and it's really problematic, especially when the Sentinel nerf comes out of the blue with no advance warning/explanation. PC Gamers have been dealing with patch notes forever, and now with the online connectivity, console games are now becoming more like PC games. Communication with your player base is critical, because it becomes frustrating to players who have concerns over various mechanics/glitches/balance issues but have absolutely no idea if those concerns are being heard or worked on, or even if Capcom THINKS they're an issue.

Dahbomb

Last MVC3 patch actually came with patch notes. It was a real shocker.

And yeah no one is liking the whole "radio silent" treatment that Capcom has been giving MVC3.

JeTmAn81

Dahbomb said:

And yeah no one is liking the whole "radio silent" treatment that Capcom has been giving MVC3.

The silence is deafening! Hopefully it's presaging a very big announcement. Super MvC3 seems all but assured, the only question is when and where. I'm hoping for a bigger and better than expected package of new characters, features, updates, rebalancing, etc.

Seriously. the MK devs are communicating things clearly to the players, which Capcom could really learn from. They're documenting as many changes as they can, and they're acting like a standard game developer. Capcom's not doing that, and it's really problematic, especially when the Sentinel nerf comes out of the blue with no advance warning/explanation. PC Gamers have been dealing with patch notes forever, and now with the online connectivity, console games are now becoming more like PC games. Communication with your player base is critical, because it becomes frustrating to players who have concerns over various mechanics/glitches/balance issues but have absolutely no idea if those concerns are being heard or worked on, or even if Capcom THINKS they're an issue.
The MK devs are just doing whatever they feel like. I haven't seen them take a poll or something.

When even Sven is unhappy, you know your communication needs work.

The silence is deafening! Hopefully it's presaging a very big announcement. Super MvC3 seems all but assured, the only question is when and where. I'm hoping for a bigger and better than expected package of new characters, features, updates, rebalancing, etc.
Remove the "Super" from your paragraph and that's what people said when we heard rumors of MvC3. Don't push your hopes.

Combofiend - "Playing Sentinel is like a waste of character slot. It's like 3v2 for me"
That hurts. Timestamp?

Dahbomb

Ultimoo said:
Combofiend - "Playing Sentinel is like a waste of character slot. It's like 3v2 for me"

lol.
I wanted to actually address that, thanks for reminding me.

We all know that both Combofiend and Justin Wong found early success in the game by digging into the game and finding characters that were specifically very good against Sentinel (Spencer, Ammy, Wolverine, She Hulk, Taskmaster etc). This brought about a lot of interesting tech like instant overheads on Sentinel which really caused a massive jump start to finding anti-Sentinel tech.

As it stands, Sentinel has some of the worst match ups in the game. There are very few characters that Sentinel actually gives a hard time. I used to believe that Tron had a tough time against Sentinel but even she has an instant overhead against Sentinel.

Who is Sentinel's GOOD match ups?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah I know, right. Should've listened to the community the way Capcom did when they nerfed Sent's health and took CapAm's infinite away.

Crocodile

Ultimoo said:

lol.

To be slightly fair, he says its 3v2 specifically for him and his team, not in general. Dahbomb's point about CF and JW being at the forefront of anti-Sentinel tech rings true.

shaowebb

Crocodile said:
To be slightly fair, he says its 3v2 specifically for him and his team, not in general. Dahbomb's point about CF and JW being at the forefront of anti-Sentinel tech rings true.

God yes they are. Friggin grab ranges from anywhere with She-hulk, Taskmaster shuts down air with vertical shots, Spencer can off him by utilizing Bionic Arm invincibility to cut through shit, ammy KILLS him, and Tron ruins him on air and on ground game.

Those two She-Hulk teams are the best at ruining Sentinel.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
as a Hulk player, the biggest mistake Hulk and Sentinel players make is not use throws/kara throws in their games.

Sentinel specially

Is there a trick for comboing after Wesker's OTG samurai edge? Just trying him out because I'm a tier whore and I can't get a simple LMH > launch > air MMHS > samurai edge > hyper down. Can't land a hyper or the crouching M for the eventual relaunch off the samurai edge. Whether I mash it out or try to time it nada. Best I get is the occasional teleport. What gives?

hitsugi

Canceling samurai edge has to be done right as the gun shoots. Otherwise, you'd have to OTG and do a follow-up combo.

JeTmAn81

~Devil Trigger~ said:
as a Hulk player, the biggest mistake Hulk and Sentinel players make is not use throws/kara throws in their games.

Sentinel specially

As an underused character, I think Hulk has a lot of potential which has yet to be exploited by higher-level players. I can't think of any pro outside of Mike Ross who mains Hulk as a character. But from what I know of his playability, Hulk has a better throw game than has been demonstrated by most players. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as the kara throw you're referring to, but Hulk actually has the ability to dash, cancel the dash into a jump, then cancel that dash into a command throw (basically just do the Gamma Tornado motions and end with a backwards jump motion before finally hitting the attack button), giving him the ability to move a long distance and throw very quickly.

I haven't seen anybody using that technique, and I'm not sure why. It's possible it just might not be viable in high-level play, but it's still my suspicion that nobody is really putting much thought into Hulk. I even tried double overhead lows as recommended by the guide for Hulk in a match the other day, and it worked surprisingly well (hit L just below the peak of Hulk's jump, then hit it immediately after, resulting in what I believe is two quick overheads).

Of course, this is the case for many other characters as well. It gives me confidence in the future of the game that we haven't really begun to scratch the surface of what some of the characters who are a little lower on the ease-of-use scale can do.

JeTmAn81

Sir Garbageman said:
Is there a trick for comboing after Wesker's OTG samurai edge? Just trying him out because I'm a tier whore and I can't get a simple LMH > launch > air MMHS > samurai edge > hyper down. Can't land a hyper or the crouching M for the eventual relaunch off the samurai edge. Whether I mash it out or try to time it nada. Best I get is the occasional teleport. What gives?

I was under the impression that you could not just do a standard hyper after a Samurai Edge OTG without assists. The only options you have, I think, are:

1. Crouching M. This will work, assuming hitstun deterioration is not so high that your opponent can recover, but the timing is rather precise. I've found that leaving it later than my instincts tell me allows it to connect more often. I'm no Wesker expert (Wexpert?), though.

2. Team Hyper. For whatever reason, this will allow you to connect hypers out of the OTG Samurai Edge. It actually works for simply doing Phantom Dance when you have no teammates available, while regular Phantom Dance (QCF+ATK+ATK) would to my knowledge not work in the same situation.

3. X-Factor. This special cancel will allow you to go into a hyper combo, typically his level 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom