• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dex

Play N Trade is having a big North American Tourney and the Grand Prize is a trip to Comic Con in San Diego!

i3bhco.jpg

* Akuma does not get resized. Deal with it.

Yoshichan said:
The one who designed online for this game should be castrated and his balls should be hanged in Times Square with the text "I can't do online infrastructure for shit, and now that I have your attention, look at my balls" every day for 2 straight years until Capcom decides to fix this piece of shit unplayable horseshit.
To be fair, maybe the devs wanted to do more but Capcom decided that the game is ready to ship. Not defending them, the online really is a disgrace compared to other fighting games (also very old ones too). Shit is shit and it happens.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's funny how Seth Killian was saying how leaks can negatively impact interest in a game when it's time to actually buy it, but shitty online is probably doing far more than any of that ever could.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hitokage said:
It's funny how Seth Killian was saying how leaks can negatively impact interest in a game when it's time to actually buy it, but shitty online is probably doing far more than any of that ever could.
He said himself leaks are a gift and a curse. They are a curse for PR, but information alone is a gift to fans because he knows they all want it bad.

Then again their sacred PR avoided the online spectator mode question for months.

Also, all the matches I've had have been fine, with perhaps 1 guy with a shitty internet connection when I put my region to any, one time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For anyone that watched the Wednesday Night Fights this week, did you notice that the Handicaps were screwed up during the matches? I'm watching it right now and no one seems to have caught it. That's a bit problematic.

EDIT: Nevermind, they caught it.

Hitokage said:
So I guess from now on we know what to clamor for. Instead of asking about the roster, we'll have to find out if the online is going to be worth our time or not.

Korigama said:
They never said that. Having read the majority of pre-release statements concerning who isn't in the game and why, I don't remember anything like that coming up as a reason, so I'd regard that as only a joke without something to back up the claim.
I was the one that said that, not someone at Capcom.

i haven't connected to a ranked match through the actual ranked match menu since i got the game early. the only way i am able to play ranked matches is to play arcade mode with challenge request on. in that scenario it takes like 10 minutes until i get the challenge notice. shitty online implementation.... it performs fine when i can actually find someone!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
FrenchMovieTheme said:
i haven't connected to a ranked match through the actual ranked match menu since i got the game early. the only way i am able to play ranked matches is to play arcade mode with challenge request on. in that scenario it takes like 10 minutes until i get the challenge notice. shitty online implementation.... it performs fine when i can actually find someone!

PS3 or 360? On PS3 I've never been able to finish the first match in Arcade Mode before I get a match. I've gotta assume that there's fewer players on 360 or something.

speaking of xfactor, it would be nice for capcom to give us the option to turn it off in player matches.

infact, give us all the options we want in player matches:

* damage scaling
* choosing time limits
* choosing xf on or off
* spectator mode
* round robin mode in the player lobby (i.e. if you have 8 people in your lobby, you can challenge anyone who isn't already playing)

usea

Seraphis Cain said:
PS3 or 360? On PS3 I've never been able to finish the first match in Arcade Mode before I get a match. I've gotta assume that there's fewer players on 360 or something.
Same here. I just play ranked matches over and over, with probably ~20 seconds between matches including menus and loading. There's little or no lag unless my roommate is seeding torrents. PS3

FrenchMovieTheme said:
speaking of xfactor, it would be nice for capcom to give us the option to turn it off in player matches.

infact, give us all the options we want in player matches:

* damage scaling
* choosing time limits
* choosing xf on or off
* spectator mode
* round robin mode in the player lobby (i.e. if you have 8 people in your lobby, you can challenge anyone who isn't already playing)
Traditionally fighting game fans avoid using settings to customize a game. To the point where they'd rather quit playing a game than change a setting to make a game fun. I'm not surprised at the lack of settings.

usea said:
Same here. I just play ranked matches over and over, with probably ~20 seconds between matches including menus and loading. There's little or no lag unless my roommate is seeding torrents. PS3

Traditionally fighting game fans avoid using settings to customize a game. To the point where they'd rather quit playing a game than change a setting to make a game fun. I'm not surprised at the lack of settings.

i know all those settings are a stretch, but they can't even give us time limit options? even though they were in MVC2 xbla? lololllllll

DR2K

Banned
God's Beard said:
I'd call it mixed.

Yeah when you win with Xfc, it's great. When you lose to it, it's broken.

Xfactor was added so that matches wouldn't be one sided. Comebacks were really hard in MVC2. Xfc changes that completely. There's always a chance. All the applications for xfc add a lot more strategy and depth.

usea said:
...Are we making excuses now? There's not even a time setting.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Time overs?

dealwithit.jpg

Seriously if you are not killing people they are either doing a really good job keeping you out, or you just really suck at doing combos.

usea

The Abominable Snowman said:
...Are we making excuses now? There's not even a time setting.
I'm not making excuses. I don't give a shit about capcom. Don't project your company fanboy shit onto me. I said: I'm not surprised. Fighting game fans rage against changing settings.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
usea said:

Why does it need to cater to them? More OPTIONS never hurt, not like it means anything. Blazblue lets you use any version of the game you want, even if it locks out characters. It lets you use the hilariously broken unlimited characters if you allow it, it makes it a much more entertaining experience. I would love to play MvC3 in disabled x-factor lobbies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Papercuts said:
Why does it need to cater to them? More OPTIONS never hurt, not like it means anything. Blazblue lets you use any version of the game you want, even if it locks out characters. It lets you use the hilariously broken unlimited characters if you allow it, it makes it a much more entertaining experience. I would love to play MvC3 in disabled x-factor lobbies.

Learn to play with xfactor, you have it too. Don't blame your losses on it... or just quit playing that's always another option, no one is forcing you to play besides yourself.

As for time overs, I love the damn timer. You ever look at the clock see like 20 or 15 seconds are left and get that surge of HOLY FUCK GOTTA STEP THIS SHIT UP. Ya, it's awesome.

Edit: Unlimited characters are fucking stupid and a waste of time. So are Ex characters in guilty gear.

beatsan

Neo Member
The worst is when people play the game and blame their problems on the game. "Like WTF!? I didn't wanna do that!!!! St00pid gAmE suCKs!"

Stop playing if you dont like it. The game is designed a certain way. It cannot be changed. There is no cheap if the game allows it. Strategize if you want to get around it. Victory will be that much sweeter.

QisTopTier said:
Learn to play with xfactor, you have it too. Don't blame your losses on it... or just quit playing that's always another option, no one is forcing you to play besides yourself.

As for time overs, I love the damn timer. You ever look at the clock see like 20 or 15 seconds are left and get that surge of HOLY FUCK GOTTA STEP THIS SHIT UP. Ya, it's awesome.

Edit: Unlimited characters are fucking stupid and a waste of time. So are Ex characters in guilty gear.

I hardly pay attention to the timer, but when I notice there are 15 secs left, and I have x-factor i was saving, it becomes a pivotal part of those last few seconds.

Riposte

DR2K said:
Yeah when you win with Xfc, it's great. When you lose to it, it's broken.

Xfactor was added so that matches wouldn't be one sided. Comebacks were really hard in MVC2. Xfc changes that completely. There's always a chance. All the applications for xfc add a lot more strategy and depth.

Comebacks are so easy in this game that they are not comebacks anymore. People will still cheer them on because they deceptively look like a legit comeback. You are not truly losing until you are REALLY losing. Meaning you have less characters AND you don't have x-factor. AND maybe your opponent does. Only then can you really pull something off that comparable to "JUSTTTTINNN WONNNNNNGGG!!!!" moments. It comes to the point where people are more hyped when people stop the auto-comebacks from stuff like xfc3 sentinel or dark phoenix lol.

An obsession with being able to "comeback from losing"(which we've seen from Capcom) is extremely shortsighted, at least for the higher than casual-level perspective... which is the only source of fighting game criticism which matters(and exists for more than a month). They are taking it way too far here. The reality is the ability to consistently and completely stomp an opponent actually shows depth. It shows distance between two players and how much the weaker player needs to learn and practice. However that doesn't mean only offensive-heavy games are deep. If XFC only had its defensive properties(including that counter aspect of canceling block stun) then it would fit in perfectly as a tool in damage-heavy MvC3. It would still its pro-comeback properties via duration bonuses. As it is now though, choosing when you use it basically dwarfs every other aspect of your strategy. It makes for an extremely ugly blot on an otherwise awesome game.

EDIT: There is always a chance to win no matter how you cut it. However if that chance doesn't slip away as someone gets pounded, then the pounding means a whole lot less.

But to step away from my opinion, I am not even sure where all this XFC love is. It is either 1) scruby dude/reviewer who can't notice it being a shitty thing(opinion doesn't matter since he will be permanently gone by the time the next FPS/RTS/fighter/racer/etc comes out), 2) passive dislike(people who "got over it"), 3) outright hatred("this game is dildos" - Sanford K). I lean more on 2 than 3, but I have to agree with every word out of Sanford's mouth to a degree.

.JayZii

Banned
I've been trying out a team of Hsien-Ko, Deadpool and Trish today and have been having a lot of success. Gotta love those invincible Hsien-ko assists. I'm still a scrub, but this game is still a lot of fun to experiment with.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Riposte said:
But to step away from my opinion, I am not even sure where all this XFC love is. It is either 1) scruby dude/reviewer who can't notice it being a shitty thing(opinion doesn't matter since he will be permanently gone by the time the next FPS/RTS/fighter/racer/etc comes out), 2) passive dislike(people who "got over it"), 3) outright hatred("this game is dildos" - Sanford K). I lean more on 2 than 3, but I have to agree with every word out of Sanford's mouth to a degree.

I am now a scrub, awesome. Oh wait no never mind I'm not. The only thing wrong is how long level 3 last outside of that it's fine.

beatsan

Neo Member
Another thing. Snap-Backs are that much more important in this game because of said x-factor. Sure, you always want to eliminate your opponent's GO-TO assist, but getting rid of your opponent's Number #1 comeback potential character takes the utmost importance.

QisTopTier said:
. The only thing wrong is how long level 3 last outside of that it's fine.

I have to agree about this though. I'm fine with x-factor, but the length of level 3 is devastating.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
All X-factors should just be 10 seconds. It would be better that way, but I don't really have a problem with it now.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah the whole "we couldn't do spectator mode because MvC3 puts out so much more data than SSFIV!" thing sounds like a cop-out to me. There might be some truth to it, but only if the netcode is programmed like shit. Which would make sense because almost everything except the gameplay is designed like shit.

Riposte

I am not ignoring the possibility of people liking it(though I have my doubts on their sincerity), but it would be the first time I've seen it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
beatsan said:
Another thing. Snap-Backs are that much more important in this game because of said x-factor. Sure, you always want to eliminate your opponent's GO-TO assist, but getting rid of your opponent's Number #1 comeback potential character takes the utmost importance.

Wrong, the best way to do it, is to force all their characters to have low life. I always try to snap back at around 5-10% life on every character. Good lucking making a "comeback" when you die in one tap.

Riposte said:
I am not ignoring the possibility of people liking it(though I have my doubts on their sincerity), but it would be the first time I've seen it.

Just play the game smarter. ^as one example I directed above

beatsan

Neo Member
QisTopTier said:
Wrong, the best way to do it, is to force all their characters to have low life. I always try to snap back at around 5-10% life on every character. Good lucking making a "comeback" when you die in one tap.

Lol. Now you're talking! Yes, that's definitely a good game-plan. Nothing is better than punishing your opponent's assist. Keep all of them on life-support

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Riposte said:

I haven't seen anyone at my place that flat out doesn't like it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
_tetsuo_ said:
I won, "omg thank god for xfactor wew"
I lost, " MAN XFACTOR IS BROKEN"

Of course no one flat out hates it, the haters use it to pull wins too :lol

beatsan

Neo Member
_tetsuo_ said:

When they find a winning combination, I'm sure they'll be singing a different tune. Isnt that what happened with Justin Wong?

Riposte

QisTopTier said:
Just play the game smarter. ^as one example I directed above

You don't seem to be interested in what I am actually writing. Adapting to X-factor doesn't mean approving of it. The game is still worse for it even if I do play and use it to my advantage. Hold the cliches.

EDIT: I assume people think you can only dislike something if it makes you ragequit or something. (I must look like I am speaking an entirely different language, judging from responses. "YEAH, BUT TRY HARDER AND STOP BITCHING" etc etc. lol Read.)

dralla

level 3 xfactor is straight up broken. win or lose, it's trash. it also does the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do. once it's activated the other player goes into turtle mode. it either needs to be changed or have an option to remove it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
QisTopTier said:

I'm not saying anything about x-factor there, I would just like to play a set with people without it and see what happens. There's no reason to atleast not have the option to do so.

I mean, are unlimited characters stupid? Maybe. But I got a lot of dumb fun playing unlimited arakune vs. unlimited carl. I like to just mess around online at times, but there's no leeway to work with in mvc3.

beatsan

Neo Member
I'm still not getting these complaints. The point of MvC3 is to KNOW that the game mechanics has a very high possible COMEBACK because of x-factor. Once you know that, you can develop strategies to overcome those possible comebacks. I learned to accept it and strategize my gameplan around it. DO whatever you need to do to win. It's a zombie apocalypce and you have to use whatever resources you have to overcome it.

Ferrio

Banned
My poor LeiLei, she's so much the weakest link in my team. If I don't get that super armor off before my first character dies then I might as well be playing only 2 chars.

Riposte

beatsan said:
I'm still not getting these complaints. The point of MvC3 is to KNOW that the game mechanics has a very high possible COMEBACK because of x-factor. Once you know that, you can develop strategies to overcome those possible comebacks. I learned to accept it and strategize my gameplan around it. DO whatever you need to do to win. It's a zombie apocalypce and you have to use whatever resources you have to overcome it.

The end result is less interesting than what the game would be like without it.

EDIT: Also, what makes you think this isn't what people who dislike XFC are doing? I've already said how a lot of people passively dislike it but "got over it" for the sake of playing the game. Doesn't mean they don't instinctively dislike what it does to the game.

Luigi87

I love this game, I enjoy its speed and flashiness far more than I enjoy SSFIV, but I am sick of being a [Fighter] getting matched against [5th Lord]s constantly. I know it has been complained to death, but damn do I feel disheartened... I am working to get better (I almost made a comeback against one today (though only thanks to X-Factor)...), but it stings.

Scarecrow

Is there not a story mode to the game? I known I've scene cutscenes online, but besides the intro one, I haven't found them naturally occurring in the game.

Duelist

Yeah I'm not entirely convinced that comebacks are impossible without X-factor.

I'm not really a fan of artificially introduced mechanics to allow players who've been losing tactically a way back in.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Why do I get my ass beat up so much but still enjoy this game? its like crack. Man I cannot wait for spec mode and replays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom