• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigBlackGamer said:
having no spectator is ridiculous. DOA4 had a advanced spectator lobby and that was a freakin launch game for the 360.

Shit man, it's not as though that game allowed 12 people to spectate a 4 player 2 on 2 tag match...

BigBlackGamer said:
having no spectator is ridiculous. DOA4 had a advanced spectator lobby and that was a freakin launch game for the 360.
DOA4 wasn't a launch game.

DOAU on XBOX1 had lobbies though, and that was even earlier.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SlamLOL said:
A lot of people can't seem to see past their own wants for a fighting game.

They can't see the difference between a "fighting gamer" and "gamer" in respect to expectations.

They look at their FGs as "Fighting Games" and forget them as "Video Games".

In the interest of staying popular outside of only SRK members, it would be in Capcom's interest to throw in some game features that are not directly pertaining to human vs human.

Especially in a second version, where they had the first one to make a good fighting system.

All things considered, having them put some work into single player would be a better way of staying popular the average gamer, as opposed to changes which negatively affect the VS gameplay for the hardcore (reversal times, input windows, shortcuts, comeback mechanics, etc.).
If your implying that MvC3 needs a 15 hour story mode like MK9, fuck that, that's not where I want limited budgets for my fighting games to go, especially in the MvC series.

If your implying MvC3 needs a proper tutorial and modes that help you adhere to game concepts such as DHCs, triangle jumps and snapbacks that go unexplained in-game (in our who-the-fuck-reads-the-game's-handbook world) then I agree. MvC3 is already quite a fair bit of game to it's target audience outside of spectator/replay. I've invited people who don't usually play fighting games over to play it and had them go out and buy it after the local multiplayer experience alone.

LordK

vocab said:
No, but it's 2011, we have come to expect it. Blazblue and SSFIV had capabilities that shown we were moving forward (not SSFIV's netcode), and now here we are 10 steps back.

I hope to god MK9 really does online right. If it's a good game on top of a good online infrastructure, then Capcom should be embarrassed. They have way more resources than MK devs.

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree with you. I was just wondering if Capcom had literally come out and promised them because I didn't remember them doing so.

On top of that, as others have mentioned, DOA4 brought the online features and was the first fighter for the 360 as well as one of the first games on the 360.

enzo_gt said:
If your implying that MvC3 needs a 15 hour story mode like MK9, fuck that, that's not where I want limited budgets for my fighting games to go, especially in the MvC series.

If your implying MvC3 needs a proper tutorial and modes that help you adhere to game concepts such as DHCs, triangle jumps and snapbacks that go unexplained in-game (in our who-the-fuck-reads-the-game's-handbook world) then I agree. .

I agree with everything. I think a proper tutorial mode would have been absolutely fantastic. Although I'd like a little more than two tiny pieces of artwork for endings. But I guess I'd prefer what MVC3 has over the 30 second SF4 anime ending/openings that only consisted of like 2 unique frames of animation each.

God's Beard said:
DOA online sucked ass, though.

Agreed here too! I think, at least for me, DOA4 online has at least performed equally to MVC3 online. I think the only fighter's online I've been happy with as far as gameplay goes is Blaz Blue.

The lack of spectator mode is honestly the biggest fuck up here aside from a bad(debatable) netcode(it's decent enough here). I cannot imagine that anyone who spent tons of time at the arcades with their friends or hours on the couch with friends could deny this fact.

The rise of the fighting game genre came about for two reasons in my opinion. It was a fantastic way to foster a competitive scene with quick inputs, fast gameplay and never before seen mechanics in a competitive video game. The second reason is the experience of huddling around a TV so that you could shit talk all night with friends. It was honestly one of the only experiences that could rival the early competitive FPS scenes on the PC back in the day.

I can't imagine that people would have been okay with Capcom's decision to make a special enclosure for just two people at each arcade so that no one could see the action. I can't imagine that our younger selves would have been okay if only two friends at a time were allowed in the living room to watch a game.

How in the world did some of you people play your fighting games when you were younger? I was a serious introvert and a sheltered child to top it off, but the spectating and commentary was like magic to me.

hitsugi

BigBlackGamer said:
Yeah, DOA4's online features still blow every Capcom title's options out of the water

God's Beard said:
DOA online sucked ass, though. Incredibly laggy compared to any other fighter I've played online.

DoA is as smooth as VF5 online in 1 on 1 lobbys and much better than Tekken. I could play players in the US without stuttering and matches with anybody in the UK were as smooth as silk which is better than I could say of any other fighter. If you had issues with DoA I think it must have been down to you being in 16 player lobbies (which I'd still rather have with lag as a choice as opposed to not at all) or down to your own connection. Unless my router was miraculous with that game or something.

Zabka

LordK said:
Agreed here too! I think, at least for me, DOA4 online has at least performed equally to MVC3 online. I think the only fighter's online I've been happy with as far as gameplay goes is Blaz Blue.
BB:CT's online was amazing, but I heard they changed it for the worse in Continuum Shift. It's baffling.

Spirit of Jazz said:
DoA is as smooth as VF5 online in 1 on 1 lobbys and much better than Tekken. I could play players in the US without stuttering and matches with anybody in the UK were as smooth as silk which is better than I could say of any other fighter. If you had issues with DoA I think it must have been down to you being in 16 player lobbies (which I'd still rather have with lag as a choice as opposed to not at all) or down to your own connection. Unless my router was miraculous with that game or something.
Nope. 1v1, lagged to shit. VF5 was perfect, SSF4 competent, no problems with MVC3.

Ferrio

Banned
Well had my first loss in ranked (32-1 now). Was vs a Sentinal Doom team. Just kept me locked down with drones and hidden missles. With the lag (couldn't super jump dammit!), and my team with limited mobility I was fucked. If I got in, he'd just hyper to push me back.

Also had my first hate mail (i won aginst some 45-15 guy that used sentinal)

"
zako
pussy
u lose
"

What's it meaaaaan?

Ok, I'm on Cable vs Deadpool #13, and I'll admit that it's starting to get pretty funny. I was hoping the whole thing would be about Deadpool on the run after everyone got pissed at him, though. That only lasted about a chapter.

Ferrio

Banned
Bob White said:
jesus....ferrio without bluemary is confusing as fuck. it's like seeing someone blink one eye at a time

Tell me about it, torn not having her as my avatar. But this is only temporary. Maybe another week.

zlatko

Banned
I'm not a technical game design wizard, but in this day and age saying, "we tried, but it's too hard" isn't going to fly with the consumer. Your job is to find a damn way to make it work.

I'm referring to lack of spectators and that article over on SRK about it. There has to be certain options they could take like dedicated servers, or making the spectators 10+ seconds behind the actual match, or something.

I strongly think as time goes on lack of spectators will be the reason this game will die out other than those who can play it locally competitively. To make it worse since the online net code already isn't stellar it'll probably be even worse when it has far less people to pick from.

Capcom NEEDS to fix this.

Spirit of Jazz said:

Yeah, DOA4 online was great for me too as was VF5 online. SF4 was decent enough. Although my favorite fighter online experience still goes to DOAU on the XBOX1. That shit was like magic to me.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
zlatko said:
I'm not a technical game design wizard, but in this day and age saying, "we tried, but it's too hard" isn't going to fly with the consumer. Your job is to find a damn way to make it work.

I'm referring to lack of spectators and that article over on SRK about it. There has to be certain options they could take like dedicated servers, or making the spectators 10+ seconds behind the actual match, or something.

I strongly think as time goes on lack of spectators will be the reason this game will die out other than those who can play it locally competitively. To make it worse since the online net code already isn't stellar it'll probably be even worse when it has far less people to pick from.

Capcom NEEDS to fix this.

They need to fix matchmaking first.

It's kind of ridiculous that one of the big reasons fighting games came back from the grave is because of online play, yet the matchmaking in MvC3 barely works.

It's kind of stupid how safe Wesker is. Plus, everything he does combos into each other. If it weren't for hitstun decay, he'd have braindead easy hit confirms into infinites on every member in the cast. It's too bad how strong it is, you can pretty much only get 3 combo sections no matter what you do, leading to around 450K or so before meter.

His dashes are so good. Fuck his teleports, his dashes are incredible.

Dash in -> ABC -> knock down/wallbounce/low shot -> (on block, cancel into teleport, repeat)(on hit, dash OTG launcher/teleport lancher OTG/knockdown OTG) ->repeat

If they try to zone you, gun them down, teleport or counter their shit.

If they know how to block, teleport ambiguous crossup, then command grab their shit into a world of pain.

Or fuck with them, dash in blockstring, CANCEL INTO COUNTER LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER

Why give a fuck? Nobody's gonna hit you, you can punish anything AND you have 1,100,000 health. Lotta bad matchups, though. Dante, Phoenix, MODOK, Magneto.

zlatko

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
They need to fix matchmaking first.

It's kind of ridiculous that one of the big reasons fighting games came back from the grave is because of online play, yet the matchmaking in MvC3 barely works.

I'm sort of lucky that my time spent online and finding games is pretty clean and consistent. Today though I did have a few times where I had to sit in training for 5-10 minutes until someone was found. I do think the online sucks balls at WHO it matches you up with.

Short story: Friend wanted to buy me the online copy of Gears of War 2, and my HDD is small. So I went to clear out space, and took off my MvC3 data thinking oh at least my online data will still be there, and I'm fine with unlocking the characters again if need be. I found out I wouldn't have enough space for Gears 2 anyway, but when I went to play today I came to basically like if I had just put the game into my disc trey for the first time. It had no online records, and of course all offline data was scrapped.

So today as I was trying to re rank up again and almost every match that I picked as Same rank, same region, English, was coughing up freaking 4th lords and other ridiculous ranks. Luckily, I can hold my own and my win ratio is around 70% as I hit 8th lord again earlier tonight, but if I was a newbie to the game going online I'd probably be pissed/stear clear of ranked having to go up against people this far out of their league.

It also dawned on me since none of the online records are stored online people can just delete their data if they get crappy win/loss to start fresh, or if they have a modded 360 can probably give themselves whatever win/loss they want. Not like Ranked means much anyway, but this makes it mean even less.

zlatko said:
I'm sort of lucky that my time spent online and finding games is pretty clean and consistent. Today though I did have a few times where I had to sit in training for 5-10 minutes until someone was found. I do think the online sucks balls at WHO it matches you up with.

Short story: Friend wanted to buy me the online copy of Gears of War 2, and my HDD is small. So I went to clear out space, and took off my MvC3 data thinking oh at least my online data will still be there, and I'm fine with unlocking the characters again if need be. I found out I wouldn't have enough space for Gears 2 anyway, but when I went to play today I came to basically like if I had just put the game into my disc trey for the first time. It had no online records, and of course all offline data was scrapped.

So today as I was trying to re rank up again and almost every match that I picked as Same rank, same region, English, was coughing up freaking 4th lords and other ridiculous ranks. Luckily, I can hold my own and my win ratio is around 70% as I hit 8th lord again earlier tonight, but if I was a newbie to the game going online I'd probably be pissed/stear clear of ranked having to go up against people this far out of their league.

It also dawned on me since none of the online records are stored online people can just delete their data if they get crappy win/loss to start fresh, or if they have a modded 360 can probably give themselves whatever win/loss they want. Not like Ranked means much anyway, but this makes it mean even less.
This is exactly what has been pissing so many people off. It's not as bad as subpar netcode or no spectator, but it still eats at community hype all the same and it hurts the perception of fighting games as an accessible genre to boot.
Zabka said:
BB:CT's online was amazing, but I heard they changed it for the worse in Continuum Shift. It's baffling.
I find that hard to believe. The last two games were consistent in their high quality netcode.

Korigama

Zabka said:

This is the first I've heard this. From what I've played of BBCS, it's exactly the same as before.

Xevren

Once hitting Fighter I never saw anything lower than a 4th lord in ranked. I don't think I'm bad or anything but it was kind of annoying being matched up against people that had hundreds of matches under their belt to my 15 games or whatever.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Korigama said:
This is the first I've heard this. From what I've played of BBCS, it's exactly the same as before.

Ranked just finds an opponent and doesn't let you back out, compared to CT where you got a list of everyone and their levels, then got another screen of their win/loss and character that let you back out. In ways that's worse, in ways it's better. I main Tager and had a lot of people deny matches with me in CT because that + the win rate made people not want to fight me, so CS doesn't let you get selective with your fights. But if you have a shitty connection you're forced to fight them.

Player matches are still amazing though. CS lobbies are the benchmark every fighter should match.

Papercuts

Xevren said:
Once hitting Fighter I never saw anything lower than a 4th lord in ranked. I don't think I'm bad or anything but it was kind of annoying being matched up against people that had hundreds of matches under their belt to my 15 games or whatever.

The shit is downright busted, no question about it. My first match today was looking for same ranked players, I'm a 9th lord with <50 matches total in ranked. It gave me a 1st lord with 800+ wins and ~150 losses, what in the fuck?

Korigama

Papercuts said:
Ranked just finds an opponent and doesn't let you back out, compared to CT where you got a list of everyone and their levels, then got another screen of their win/loss and character that let you back out. In ways that's worse, in ways it's better. I main Tager and had a lot of people deny matches with me in CT because that + the win rate made people not want to fight me, so CS doesn't let you get selective with your fights. But if you have a shitty connection you're forced to fight them.

Player matches are still amazing though. CS lobbies are the benchmark every fighter should match.

Right, there is that (I had forgotten that detail). It was a potential issue of players avoiding opponents based upon main/sub and statistics back in BBCT's ranked matches.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
God's Beard said:
I'm talking about my own experience here bro.
Just from a technical standpoint I'm saying it wasn't perfect. Offline you can do stuff like punish a blocked 2P with an elbow. Online, people get to spam 2P relatively safely. VF5 was good, but not perfect.

Neki

Yeah ranked pisses me off sometimes. getting matched up with people so much higher than me, I don't think I've ever seen a 9th lord, all of them were like 4th lords. So bad once I stopped playing for a week, still need to find a good way to get in with C.Viper. :O

Jintor

Gr1mLock said:
i seriously dont understand why i get so much hate mail, win or lose. mags wolvie akuma?..is it THAT bad...

DISRUPTOR!

DISRUPTOR!

DiSruPTOrRrRrRRR!!!

(Not saying anything about you man, but that's my experience with Maggy so far)

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
no doubt but at least its not sentinel phoenix and whoever..fuck im mild compared to the crap ive seen online already. (mags does rule thou :)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
enzo_gt said:

If your implying MvC3 needs a proper tutorial and modes that help you adhere to game concepts such as DHCs, triangle jumps and snapbacks that go unexplained in-game (in our who-the-fuck-reads-the-game's-handbook world) then I agree. MvC3 is already quite a fair bit of game to it's target audience outside of spectator/replay. I've invited people who don't usually play fighting games over to play it and had them go out and buy it after the local multiplayer experience alone.

You know what's awesome? Arc System Works managed to do ALL of this with an even more limited budget than Capcom.

No. Fucking. Excuses.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Jintor said:
DISRUPTOR!

DISRUPTOR!

DiSruPTOrRrRrRRR!!!

(Not saying anything about you man, but that's my experience with Maggy so far)

hell yea i spam that shit..if youre spamming goddamn spit and rocket punches fuck you..eat distruptor all day every day. But i got mags on point and akuma on anchor. im pretty average im just taken aback by all the hate. I got beaten decisively and still got hate mail

zlatko

Banned
Kintaro said:
You know what's awesome? Arc System Works managed to do ALL of this with an even more limited budget than Capcom.

No. Fucking. Excuses.

Exactly. If this was SNK with KoF telling me this line I'd let it slide----R.I.P. But when a big ass company like Capcom, who has put a lot of focus on a lot of fighters in the past few years and going forward down right says it's too hard to do something they've been able to do within the same genre... I don't believe it for a damn second. There is ways, and the real reason was probably pushing the game out urley to make bank from us suckers.

I hate having buyers remorse with a purchase, because I'm pretty picky on what I invest my money into game wise. I'm even more picky on what I spend my time with in the online space. So when I feel I deserved a better product for the money spent.

I'm still willing to give Capcom another month or so to hopefully hear spectator DLC will be worked in somehow. After that though this game will be getting much less love and I'll probably go back to more SSF4 for my main fighter.

Mit-

I had a pretty good ranked session tonight. Was a 9th shooting for 8th. Saw mostly 8's. Highest rank I saw was a 6. None of the lag was unplayable, but some matches were certainly better than others. Only had to fight Sentinel a few times out of the maybe 15 matches I played.

Still took a couple minutes to find a match typically, but I just sit at my computer while I play so I have something to do while waiting.

And yeah, I really hope they get the ball rolling on spectator mode. Ranked lobbies are like 1000x more fun than the regular matchmaking, especially since you can find ones with good connections, but it kills me not being able to see the matches. That's TOO boring.

Papercuts

Gr1mLock said:
hell yea i spam that shit..if youre spamming goddamn spit and rocket punches fuck you..eat distruptor all day every day. But i got mags on point and akuma on anchor. im pretty average im just taken aback by all the hate. I got beaten decisively and still got hate mail

If you get hate mail, you're doing it right. Though I've been using arthur on point and he seems to piss people off in scary ways, lol.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
vocab said:
I hope to god MK9 really does online right. If it's a good game on top of a good online infrastructure, then Capcom should be embarrassed. They have way more resources than MK devs.

This would almost certainly be true if the MK guys were still with Midway. I wouldn't be too surprised if MK9 has a bigger budget than MvC3 did.

zlatko

Banned
Gr1mLock said:
i seriously dont understand why i get so much hate mail, win or lose. mags wolvie akuma?..is it THAT bad...

This is the only game I constantly get hate mail from when I win. The online players are SUPER salty.

The only times I get upset is when a person will spend the last 30 seconds doing nothing but flying around to avoid me. They won't even try to attack or even punish...just fly and burn that time. Still I don't rage, I just /sigh and search for a new game.

I've been running Zero, Sent, Dpool/ Dante, Sent, Dpool/ Taskmaster, Sent, Doom as my teams, and anytime my first character touches them at the start of fights I'll go to town and deal a lot of damage or else kill their point character. I guess that scares them to the point of not even bothering to fight anymore if they can secure a life lead.

:(

scoot3r

Man guys i bought this game day one, ive had a few online matches won my first one but dropped the next 5 or so. I hate to say it but this game to me is a little....intimidating, i guess is the word. Seems like alot of studying is required to be at least competent in this game. Ive been using dante deadpool and a random guy as my team.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Papercuts said:
If you get hate mail, you're doing it right. Though I've been using arthur on point and he seems to piss people off in scary ways, lol.

Thank you..seriously. I think i have yet to get one GG or a positive response. I dont really care its just kinda shocking to get more hate mail in a day then i got in months in ssf4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom