• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTmAn81

So I played a set in player match with a 1st Lord last night. I think we went around 17 games in all. I won 2. He was running Wolverine/Wesker/Super-Skrull. At first I was caving to the Wolverine pressure but after a few games I figured out how to keep my distance and zone him effectively with my team (Dante/Taskmaster/Sentinel). And a lot of the time, I didn't have that much trouble with his Wesker, at least as long as I could keep him out. Dante's Jam Session is quite effective for messing with the average Wesker's teleport pattern.

But then there's that darn Super-Skrull! He's not regarded as a top-tier character, but this guy was very good at mixing up his attack options. I know the stupid Meteor Smash teleport should be very easy to defend against, but for some reason I had a really hard time knowing which side to block on, and found it basically impossible to punish on reaction. I think part of that was due to lag. But man, the number of times I took out his Wesker and Wolverine and had a major life lead only to get bodied by XF3 Super-Skrull. Frustration.

The other thing was when I made a mistake against his Wesker. Combos and resets for days. He was pretty consistent with his throw reset attempts, so much so that I began hammering on the throw command in order to tech but I was unable to do it once. I'm not sure if it was the lag or if I was just doing something wrong, but I know I was hitting that button like Speedy Gonzales and he was still throwing me every time. Do you have to be hitting the same direction (forward or back) along with the H in order to tech? Or will any direction throw tech? That was really frustrating.

That particular situation with Wesker (typically backed by the Skrull Tenderizer assist) also made me think that players need a little more protection when coming in after a teammate is knocked out. I know that situation is designed to give advantage to the other player, but so many times it just seemed like there was almost nothing I could do to get back in the fight. Perhaps a slight window of invulnerability would work, just give me enough time to at least do advancing guard before getting thrown/mixed up/pummeled to death from a million directions.

All in all, I was glad for the experience since I don't usually get to play such high-level foes. I don't mind losing, as long as I'm learning.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
JeTmAn81 said:
That particular situation with Wesker (typically backed by the Skrull Tenderizer assist) also made me think that players need a little more protection when coming in after a teammate is knocked out. I know that situation is designed to give advantage to the other player, but so many times it just seemed like there was almost nothing I could do to get back in the fight. Perhaps a slight window of invulnerability would work, just give me enough time to at least do advancing guard before getting thrown/mixed up/pummeled to death from a million directions.

That alone would probably make Wolverine that much less scary. Wouldn't mind something like that myself, although you could argue it would take away a layer of strategy by invalidating many incoming character mixup options.

JeTmAn81

Nils said:
That alone would probably make Wolverine that much less scary. Wouldn't mind something like that myself, although you could argue it would take away a layer of strategy by invalidating many incoming character mixup options.

I guess it's a question of balance. Does the option to mix the incoming character up so thoroughly actually add to the strategy and fun of the game, or does it tip the scales in favor of the dominant player to an unfair degree? In a game that's full of comeback tools, stuff like this has to be pretty carefully weighed. Hence the amount of X-Factor discussion.

However, there are other situations where you get a minute dose of invulnerability. Knockdown recovery, for instance. Think about how frustrating the game would be if you could get hit during your roll after the knockdown.

Having mix-ups against the incoming character is great and adds to gameplay depth.

On the other hand, losing one character is really painful in this game; do you really need to be buried under two mounds of dirt for a mistake?

Someone earlier in the thread suggested something that, IMO, resolves the issues: as the player with the incoming character, you can choose which side you come in on. So, the mix-up games are still there on entry, but the incoming character has a chance to out-smart the opponent. Obviously, this would not apply to Snapbacks.

Think about how frustrating the game would be if you could get hit during your roll after the knockdown.
I would love this, or at least let them get hit by OTG attacks. I'm so tired of rushdown rolling straight through Flame Carpet.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I really wish characters coming in after a KO had more options. Being able to change the point of entry and/or not being locked out of assist calls would be enough. Literally the only problem I have with Phoenix at the moment is the ridiculous teleport/trap game she has after she KOs one character, and I consider that to be more of a problem with post-KO options than a problem with Phoenix.

Grecco

Sixfortyfive said:
I really wish characters coming in after a KO had more options. Being able to change the point of entry and/or not being locked out of assist calls would be enough. Literally the only problem I have with Phoenix at the moment is the ridiculous teleport/trap game she has after she KOs one character, and I consider that to be more of a problem with post-KO options than a problem with Phoenix.

wouldnt that also make her even harder to kill via snap back?

JeTmAn81

Karsticles said:
Having mix-ups against the incoming character is great and adds to gameplay depth.

I'm not actually sure that it does add depth. There's a certain level of execution that must be mastered, but after that isn't it just a matter of using your point character and an assist to place attacks at different points and then making the character guess where to block, or if they should block at all? To me, that reduces the gameplay to something that relies far too heavily on random chance.

Then again, you could say that this is really just the same thing that you're doing during primary gameplay, but in that scenario, your opponent has movement and assist options of their own, whereas when they are incoming, they can do almost nothing. To me, that detracts from strategy in a lot of ways.

Dahbomb

JeTmAn81 said:
Super Skrull on anchor is indeed scary, in fact he can house entire teams at that position.

It's a reason why JWong and company have Skrull listed as B tier character (upper mid tier). He is similar to Wolverine in that if you give him X Factor he comes a killing machine. Basically his speed boost gains along with the damage boost means he kills off of any hit and his attacks become safer. Since the scaling is also capped, he can get a kill off a command throw. Basically if he reads you correctly, he gets the kill and he can mix up the incoming character. Plus frame traps and XF cancel traps... he would do Meteor Smash and you think you are safe because you blocked it then he would X factor cancel and then command grab you immediately for the kill.

I like assists being locked out to some degree, though maybe not as long. It's already bad enough that you can't pressure Haggar/Tron users, but to make them invincible to incoming character mix-ups? Grrr.

I'm not actually sure that it does add depth. There's a certain level of execution that must be mastered, but after that isn't it just a matter of using your point character and an assist to place attacks at different points and then making the character guess where to block, or if they should block at all? To me, that reduces the gameplay to something that relies far too heavily on random chance.

Then again, you could say that this is really just the same thing that you're doing during primary gameplay, but in that scenario, your opponent has movement and assist options of their own, whereas when they are incoming, they can do almost nothing. To me, that detracts from strategy in a lot of ways.
It adds depth because each character has incoming character mix-ups that can be learned and considered. It's another aspect of the character to consider. Some characters, like Dr. Doom and Sentinel, get to use abilities that are otherwise almost never used while they are on point (Hidden Missiles and Sentinel Force, respectively).

Dahbomb

Man the wait until EVO is going to be BRUTAL. This is our last MVC3 tournament weekend and we won't have a major until EVO at the end of July.

I have been so used to a tournament pretty much every weekend (or multiple tournaments in one day) that I don't know how I am going to survive a hypeless MVC3 month.

ECT and SS start tomorrow.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
Man the wait until EVO is going to be BRUTAL. This is our last MVC3 tournament weekend and we won't have a major until EVO at the end of July.

I have been so used to a tournament pretty much every weekend (or multiple tournaments in one day) that I don't know how I am going to survive a hypeless MVC3 month.

Speak for yourself, I might actually get real life shit done this weekend without a tournament! Gotta catch up on all that productivity lost.

Oh and Evo is the weekend before my exams, FML.

Anth0ny

Dahbomb said:

So true. I mean, my bandwidth limit got fucked up after that Revelations/CEO weekend, but I don't care.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anth0ny said:
So true. I mean, my bandwidth limit got fucked up after that Revelations/CEO weekend, but I don't care.
fV50E.jpg

Dahbomb

enzo_gt said:
Speak for yourself, I might actually get real life shit done this weekend without a tournament! Gotta catch up on all that productivity lost.

Oh and Evo is the weekend before my exams, FML.
Exams during a summer? Must be a Canada thing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Razor210 said:
Game froze, save file lost, back to the beginning. Sup yo

Am I weird for thinking that Dormammu is a bad matchup for Wolverine?
Are you on PS3 or 360?

Dormammu is a difficult matchup for Wolverine, because Wolvie can't throw around as many beserker slashes. Flame carpet and a relatively fast horizontal projectile cause problems for Wolverine. Relative to other matchups in the game, its bad for Wolvie. But a failed purification here or there and Dormammu gets victimized.

Razor210

enzo_gt said:
Are you on PS3 or 360?

Dormammu is a difficult matchup for Wolverine, because Wolvie can't throw around as many beserker slashes. Flame carpet and a relatively fast horizontal projectile cause problems for Wolverine. Relative to other matchups in the game, its bad for Wolvie. But a failed purification here or there and Dormammu gets victimized.
PS3. Probably got corrupted cause of how badly I lost to a Tron at the end lol

I'm not even talking about that - what answers does Wolverine have to superjump - airdash S? And teleport mixups as well (though that's asking for a berserker slash really)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ultimoo said:
you must be talking about Thor. one of his combo kills Ammy. one combo. worse than Hulk or Wolverine. :(
Unless your headed to Shadowloo Showdown to face Mike Ross, you'll be fine. No one actually plays Thor.

Just remember since we lost Q in passing weeks, YOU ARE THE BEST (on PSN).

Good luck tomorrow man.

Ultimoo said:
man I'm so nervous, I don't want to get blown up tomorrow. :( What do people do to not be nervous?
1) Fap (best to do this at home, and not at the tournament)
2) Eat
3) Blast on fools online. Win or lose, it takes the edge off and gets that last bit of rust off
4) Take a power nap

Neki

Professor Beef said:
Is Ramnation being streamed tonight? I always forget the url, and a friend of mine might be there tonight.

http://streamonster.com/

Stream: RAMnation MVC3 #18 on FinestKO (6/24/11) 10PM PST
Posted on June 20, 2011 by stream0nster

FinestKO is back after a week off for NCR9 and will be broadcasting RAMnation MVC3 #18 from NorCal on 6/24/11. Sodium levels are always high at this tournament with players like Kbeast, Tharimrattler, Honzo Gonzo and Filipino Champ often in attendance. SSF4AE will also be featured until EVO 2011 (may not get streamed).

WHEN: 6/24/11 – 10PM PST
WHAT: MVC3, SSF4AE
WHERE: http://www.justin.tv/finestko

Kimosabae

Banned
Ultimoo said:
man I'm so nervous, I don't want to get blown up tomorrow. :( What do people do to not be nervous?

Accept the fact that you're going to get blown up. Your first tournament's a learning experience. Expecting to do big things at your first tourney is just putting unrealistic and unnecessary pressure on yourself, which will ultimately undermine your performance. The bigger picture suggests that this experience will fashion tools to make you a better player, later. Be patient. The payoff comes when you're stubborn in the face of embarrassments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom