• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuri

Banned
This game is pure crack. My girl called me this morning saying she wanted some action today and that she is on her way to my place; and I'm kinda pissed off because I wanted to spend the day playing instead.

"It sounds selfish, but part of me is glad online is working out the way it is. I miss the days when wanting to play a fighting game you loved meant community building in your local area, not sending mass XBL friend requests.

Yes, I'm old and bitter. Get off my lawn, etc."

Feeling that way doesn't make you old and bitter. It definitely makes you something else, but it doesn't make you old and bitter.

The new Marvelous Adventures is amazing. The bait and switch...oh man.

shuri said:
This game is pure crack. My girl called me this morning saying she wanted some action today and that she is on her way to my place; and I'm kinda pissed off because I wanted to spend the day playing instead.
Play Marvel with her.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
_dementia said:
Uploaded March 3rd? How did I miss this?
I swear, I hate Youtube's new subscription page :(
Youtube SERIOUSLY needs to fix their shit... I didn't get it either.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
DO IT FOR MORPH!

One of my friends supposedly ran into Gootecks online a few days ago. Hoping to see that crop up in the near future.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FUCK! MIKE ROSS WAS SO CLOSE THAT MATCH!!!

Yoshichan

Wtf was up with that stat bug?

Sixfortyfive

Yoshichan said:
Wtf was up with that stat bug?
It's common online right now. Your proper stats won't be displayed until after the match.

"4W, 25L, 12-game win streak!"

Wait what?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I played someone who had 4 wins 120 losses and he destroyed me. I was stunned, but then afterwards it said he had 200+ wins and I felt super relieved.

GatorBait

Showmeyamoves said:
Damn that is impressive. I bet this guy beat GnG when he was a kid.

DryEyeRelief said:
Game was released urley to avoid conflicts with Mortal Kombat, my guess.
zlatko said:
I thought it was to meet their quarter sales to look better since I'm guessing the rest of it was lack luster?
Zlatko's got it. Capcom's fiscal year ends in March. They needed to get all dat Marvel revenue to put on their year-end statements. After knowing that, you can definitely tell the game was rushed. Even just another month or two of sorting out netcode and QA would have done a lot for the game.

Lost Fragment said:
Regardless of what people on gaming message boards say about the series, MK sells. MK vs DC sold like 2.5mil which is more than what both SF4 and SSF4 have sold combined, IIRC.
SFIV is at 3 million sold.

SSFIV is at 1.6 million sold.

Just wanted to put the hard numbers down here since others have commented on it. They can be found on Capcom's investor relations page.

Nose Master

Ugh. Was playing / drinking with some friends last night, left to go get food. Got back and my stick wasn't reading any directional input anymore. Took it apart and checked for loose connections / broken parts all night, left it for the morning. Realized right away this morning that the switch was just on RS. :mad:

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Kintaro said:
You know what's awesome? Arc System Works managed to do ALL of this with an even more limited budget than Capcom.

No. Fucking. Excuses.

Arc System Works is basically run by two guys, who work on one game at a time, and are apparently dedicated to doing everything humanly possible within their resources and budget.

Capcom is a large Japanese publisher, where game directors have to fight and argue to even be allowed to /investigate the possibility/ of making a fighting game.

I wouldn't be surprised if what really happened during MvC3's development is that they discovered the net code (and spectator code, and replay code) they were handed and told to use from SFIV, didn't function efficiently with MT Framework or the specific engine tweaks being used in MvC3. And they were told to just use it as they were told to, or they didn't even ask about being able to write a new system or get help from the SFIV team to optimize the existing one, because well, they're Japanese. At a big company.

(It's a similar reason to why a small, devoted company of ex-Capcom employees can make Bayonetta or Vanquish, but Capcom themselves probably couldn't... even if those guys were still working there themselves.)

Contrasting this against MK9 now, for a western comparison, Ed Boon's team is 100% devoted to the only game they're making, and to throwing everything - including probably literally the kitchen sink - into making it the best they possibly can. On top of that, the publisher funding them, while huge, in this case realizes fully that they're investing in recreating the Mortal Kombat brand. And anything goes. Honestly, if Boon went to them and said he needed something to fix a problem, I am willing to bet he got it.

Azure J

That Marvelous Adventures is so fucking hilarious. The Sentinel + DP KO made my morning. :lol

Edit: Holy shit @ putting Ammy down with a frying pan. :lol

My favorite hate-mail happens to be one I received last year playing SSFIV. It goes, "Fuck you, [n-word]er lover."

I rose an eyebrow, and as a black man, I do love black girls... so I responded, "WHY YES, I do love [n-word]ers!!! ...but that doesn't change the fact that you lost."

no response. I even bumped into him randomly searching for matches but he booted me out of the room ...and proceeded to boot me out of the room each time I purposely found his room. :lol

No hatemail in MvsC3 but then again I play it more offline than online.

Dahbomb

After a long time of practicing, watching videos/matches, almost finishing mission mode with all characters and trying different combinations... I have found for me personally that I am most effective with Wolverine/Akuma.

I have gotten Wolverine down pat. I can mix up with him (Berserker Slash with an assist or Berserker slash into hyper if it connects) and can combo with him on command. I can catch random jumps with H-> Drill Claw -> Dive Kick into combos. I am getting his instant overheads down. Wolverine is a great character to learn if you like to play fast. You have to be fast with him and get his stuff down to reflexes because when you do then you will be fearsome.

My problem comes when I do Berserker Barrage into a hyper, sometimes I miss the Barrage and end up doing Wolverine's Berserker charge hyper instead. I have replaced this with using as little hypers as possible with Wolverine, doing Fatal Claw in air or not tagging a Berserker Barrage before a hyper. It has smoothed out my game a lot and I see a lot of pros do this too to avoid the Berserker Charge hyper.

I have also dropped Dante from my team even though Weasel Shot assist with Wolverine is beastly. I dropped him because outside of his very standard BnB combos I can't style that well with him (not as good as the pros or as the combo videos). I end up trying to do too much which causes Dante to cancel his moves into the Wild Stomp or Rainstorm or Million Stab/Stinger. Of course that j.H, L, M, H, S, M, M, H, QCF+L, H, S, M, H, QCF+H into Hyper BnB combo I can do on the money but it's just boring and if you wanna play with Dante then you need to be styling up in your opponent's ass. I will pick up Dante again down the line once I have gotten better with him.

I have added Zero to my team for LULZ so my team looks like Wolverine/Zero/Akuma. I want to play Iron Man but some things bug me about him (floaty jumps and standing H pushing opponent too far to launcher). Zero's teleport works well with Akuma assist too.

People are going to hate me for using Wolverine/Akuma but I don't give a fuck. It's a combination that has synergy and requires skill/timing to use and is great against Sentinel or other characters (real easy to catch people with jumping H -> Drill Claw -> Dive Kick into H -> launcher -> air combo -> slide + akuma assist -> Hyper). With Akuma out for so long on the screen there is always risk of him being comboed to death so you have to use him with extra care.

Sixfortyfive

Right now I'm in the position of having a handful of characters I can play well enough and enjoy on point, but not a whole lot of team synergy.

Nose Master said:
Doesn't... MvC2 have spectator mode on XBL? And it's a faster game? I know it's much weaker graphically, but isn't the same type of data being sent, ultimately?
Same question I asked. Maybe Xfactor is the straw that broke the camel's back.
Perhaps they should have outsourced the netplay to Backbone lulz

clock runners are the most boring people to play, especially when it's in friendly PLAYER match that is not ranked

they should go play as Guile in SF2 if they just like to do keep away clock running zzzzzzzz

I consider selecting Sent to be less cheap

shaowebb

dat interview link above use said:
lso, more of the interview was translated by Professor on the MMCafe.com forums, spotted via IPW, and Ryota dishes some info on the spectator system, among other things.
Ryota: "We threw in all the elements including ranking match, free match, rankings and the lobby, but we couldn't add in a spectator mode.

4Gamer: "Was it because of technical issues?"

Ryota: "That's correct. This title is a 3-on-3 and the game speed is very fast, so the volume of communication data is larger than in SSF4. Even if we added in all those kinds of systems, they'd be no good if the matches were full of lags.

4gamer: "Looking at it from the outside, we'd assume that throwing in the mode would have been easy since you guys have already done that in SSF4, but it's apparently not."

Ryota: "No. But I thought so in the beginning too ."

Oh wow. That really sucks for the lobbies but I can understand why it sucks so bad now. I'd rather skip having an audience and watching matches if it was the difference between lag and good games. Hopefully they can figure a work around someday, though. I know they mentioned that they are trying to.

usea

gutter_trash said:
clock runners are the most boring people to play, especially when it's in friendly PLAYER match that is not ranked

they should go play as Guile in SF2 if they just like to do keep away clock running zzzzzzzz

I consider selecting Sent to be less cheap
gutter_trash

K701

Banned
Nose Master said:
Doesn't... MvC2 have spectator mode on XBL? And it's a faster game? I know it's much weaker graphically, but isn't the same type of data being sent, ultimately?

I wont pretend I know anything about netcode but I don't think its just sending out input data. Otherwise the game would desynch all the time. It has to have something running in the background to prevent desynch and reconfirm both players are seeing the same screen. Since this game runs on MT framework and it seems to be pushing the consoles to their limits already I can see how having extra stuff in the backgound like something to prevent desynch AND something else relaying that info in a timely manner to multiple other players can be a problem.

kitzkozan

Delriach said:
One thing you have to realize is that MK9 most likely will be reviewed better regardless if it's even a better game. I have a very strong feeling that people are going to praise it since the game caters to a larger audience by having more content than just fighting. Plus it's a return to form and I think that already will give people a more positive look on the game.

Even MK vs DCU, a game that was not well received, got high scores from some publications. Fan favorite sites like Giant Bomb gave it a perfect score (5/5). Unlike MvC3 which got a 4/5. I can guarantee that MK9 will get tons of seemingly blind praise even if it's not that good of a fighting game.

When I saw the live demo for MK9 at E3, people were ooooooh-ing and aaaaaaah-ing for nearly everything shown. It was impressive, yes, but NetherRealm clearly had control over everyone in the audience almost instantly. I felt at that moment that people were going to love the new Mortal Kombat without even playing it.

The new Mortal Kombat will outscore and outsell Marvel vs Capcom 3. :(

The animations are crap imo and I am not a fan at all of the super sloppy hit detection (characters hit the air 50% of the time instead of making true contact with their opponents).I'm not high on the monstrous amount of blood spurting either (just as silly looking as in Dragon Age),but what can you do. :p The game does have superb stages however and I expect the online and single player to be vastly superior to MvC3.

All in all,the game isn't particularly impressive and the fighting just doesn't seems that fluid to me.I know you can link various moves together as it's a sandbox FG,but the combos that I have seen just seem weird to me.The physical logic isn't there like in a japanese FG.You watch Street fighter IV or MvC3 and it make sense as to how a character would chain a punch or kick into another and juggle into something else.You watch the new Mortal Kombat and often it's completely weird or nonsense.A lot of of the MK crew are completely clueless to basic martial arts imo.

Makoto

_dementia said:
Uploaded March 3rd? How did I miss this?

They uploaded it on the 3rd but kept it listed as private until today.

Gootecks' comebacks in those videos are just amazing. All supported by the wisdom of Mike Ross.

"All in all,the game isn't particularly impressive and the fighting just doesn't seems that fluid to me.I know you can link various moves together as it's a sandbox FG,but the combos that I have seen just seem weird to me.The physical logic isn't there like in a japanese FG.You watch Street fighter IV or MvC3 and it make sense as to how a character would chain a punch or kick into another and juggle into something else."

Have you never seen Tekken or VF? Both of which, I assure you, are "Japanese FGs."

hitsugi

Dante has so much potential it is fucking mad.

It's also mad trying to time all of the cancels, though. Isedelica doesn't actually play the game competitively or anything, right?

MrMephistoX

spindashing said:
My favorite hate-mail happens to be one I received last year playing SSFIV. It goes, "Fuck you, [n-word]er lover."

I rose an eyebrow, and as a black man, I do love black girls... so I responded, "WHY YES, I do love [n-word]ers!!! ...but that doesn't change the fact that you lost."

no response. I even bumped into him randomly searching for matches but he booted me out of the room ...and proceeded to boot me out of the room each time I purposely found his room. :lol

No hatemail in MvsC3 but then again I play it more offline than online.
Classy response ;) I actually pretended to come onto a guy for fun when he sent gay bashing hate mail to me one time. Bigots really have no idea how to respond when the tables are turned. Not gay myself but it was fun nonetheless.

Im somewhat impressed/mystified that the GAF community hasn't moved on to another game already. Other fighters stopped getting this much love after a few weeks (S/SFIV aside, of course)

Trish is my favorite, but I'm thinking of replacing her with Thor and it's tearing me apart inside.

hitsugi said:
Dante has so much potential it is fucking mad.

It's also mad trying to time all of the cancels, though. Isedelica doesn't actually play the game competitively or anything, right?

Not gonna lie, I like playing keepaway Dante, even if he's not on any of my teams.

That QCF A+S fireball is so cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom