• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

I had my very first international hate mail tonight from a Japanese player. He sent me a message saying " I hope you die soon ". The nerve of Sentinel players.

The hate is pretty much expected anyway. The only characters I ever see anymore are Dante, Deadpool, Akuma, Sentinel, Magneto and Wolverine. There are some outliers like Haggar, Hulk, Ryu and Zero that make appearances, but a large percentage of play revolves around these characters.

A pissed off reaction should be expected when it comes to a competitive game like this one and it only gets worse when there is little variety. People like to feel superior and I guess it gets on their nerves when they fight people who pick the obvious and popular characters all the time. It's part of the reason why most people are not interested in anymore X-men or even Akuma for that matter.
Gr1mLock said:
hell yea i spam that shit..if youre spamming goddamn spit and rocket punches fuck you..eat distruptor all day every day. But i got mags on point and akuma on anchor. im pretty average im just taken aback by all the hate. I got beaten decisively and still got hate mail
You must be annoying the living shit out of people in that case haha.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Solune said:
I had my very first international hate mail tonight from a Japanese player. He sent me a message saying " I hope you die soon ". The nerve of Sentinel players.

Japanese hate mail is awesome. :lol Straight and to the point.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
SolarPowered said:
The hate is pretty much expected anyway. The only characters I ever see anymore are Dante, Deadpool, Akuma, Sentinel, Magneto and Wolverine. There are some outliers like Haggar, Hulk, Ryu and Zero that make appearances, but a large percentage of play revolves around these characters.

A pissed off reaction should be expected when it comes to a competitive game like this one and it only gets worse when there is little variety. People like to feel superior and I guess it gets on their nerves when they fight people who pick the obvious and popular characters all the time. It's part of the reason why most people are not interested in anymore X-men or even Akuma for that matter.

You must be annoying the living shit out of people in that case haha.

i guess so lol. Cant keep everyone happy...

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
dude someone told me he hopes i die of DICK cancer..i mean ..really?..cant even get a good ol run of the mill cancer??..it gotta be dick cancer?

LordK

Gr1mLock said:
dude someone told me he hopes i die of DICK cancer..i mean ..really?..cant even get a good ol run of the mill cancer??..it gotta be dick cancer?

At least... he/she put more effort into it.

zlatko said:
Exactly. If this was SNK with KoF telling me this line I'd let it slide----R.I.P. But when a big ass company like Capcom, who has put a lot of focus on a lot of fighters in the past few years and going forward down right says it's too hard to do something they've been able to do within the same genre... I don't believe it for a damn second. There is ways, and the real reason was probably pushing the game out urley to make bank from us suckers

Game was released urley to avoid conflicts with Mortal Kombat, my guess.

zlatko

Banned
Gr1mLock said:
fair enough..i concede...

:( I got accused of using simple mode by one guy in a rage mail.

I also got run of the mil, "God you suck at this game." "You're a fucking faggot loser nerd."

The simple mode one offended me because that fight I was doing sick long combos and DHC's from OTGs. Just a monster shit fest against him.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
zlatko said:
:( I got accused of using simple mode by one guy in a rage mail.

I also got run of the mil, "God you suck at this game." "You're a fucking faggot loser nerd."

The simple mode one offended me because that fight I was doing sick long combos and DHC's from OTGs. Just a monster shit fest against him.

I seriously have gotten over 50 hate mails in about 130 matches. This shit is straight up retarded.. and its mostly FROM sentinel phoenix players who cant seem to block high. i mean its not a big deal..people will talk but i have yet to ever lame someone out

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Kintaro said:
You know what's awesome? Arc System Works managed to do ALL of this with an even more limited budget than Capcom.

No. Fucking. Excuses.

BlazBlue has 1/3rd the amount of characters....

zlatko

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
Game was released urley to avoid conflicts with Mortal Kombat, my guess.

I thought it was to meet their quarter sales to look better since I'm guessing the rest of it was lack luster?

Really though, if MK comes out and out sells/outreviews MvC3 Capcom should slap themselves. They tried to rush to beat competition/look good on paper to their investors, and instead get pooped on by Ed Boon and his gang.

I really doubt it'll happen, because MK has sort of just become a novelty series at this point. The new one DOES look promising, but the online component would have to be top notch and the core fighting as deep as a SF game in order to win out in the competitive/casual scene.

I'm still not even sold on MK. I'll wait till it's been out for a week and people on Gaf throw out their thoughts on the online and I'll use the demo coming up to test core fighting before taking the plunge.

Is that the only game they wanted to beat out? Any word if KoF 13 was going to get a console release now that SNKP shut down?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
_tetsuo_ said:
BlazBlue has 1/3rd the amount of characters....

As 2D sprites. The actual netcode performance is also leagues better.

Oh, and a story mode that took around 20 hours...and CS has an actual in depth tutorial. Both games are much more fully featured than anything capcom has been doing.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
zlatko said:
I thought it was to meet their quarter sales to look better since I'm guessing the rest of it was lack luster?

Really though, if MK comes out and out sells/outreviews MvC3 Capcom should slap themselves. They tried to rush to beat competition/look good on paper to their investors, and instead get pooped on by Ed Boon and his gang.

I really doubt it'll happen, because MK has sort of just become a novelty series at this point. The new one DOES look promising, but the online component would have to be top notch and the core fighting as deep as a SF game in order to win out in the competitive/casual scene.

I'm still not even sold on MK. I'll wait till it's been out for a week and people on Gaf throw out their thoughts on the online and I'll use the demo coming up to test core fighting before taking the plunge.

Is that the only game they wanted to beat out? Any word if KoF 13 was going to get a console release now that SNKP shut down?

Regardless of what people on gaming message boards say about the series, MK sells. MK vs DC sold like 2.5mil which is more than what both SF4 and SSF4 have sold combined, IIRC. It's not a perfectly fair comparison because MK vs DC came out like...a year or so earlier than SF4, but still.

And that game was relatively low budget. MK9 looks like it probably has the biggest budget of any MK game ever. So I don't know if Capcom rushed MvC3 out early to avoid a conflict with MK or not, but it's reasonable to assume it might've been part of the reason.

Delriach

Banned
zlatko said:

One thing you have to realize is that MK9 most likely will be reviewed better regardless if it's even a better game. I have a very strong feeling that people are going to praise it since the game caters to a larger audience by having more content than just fighting. Plus it's a return to form and I think that already will give people a more positive look on the game.

Even MK vs DCU, a game that was not well received, got high scores from some publications. Fan favorite sites like Giant Bomb gave it a perfect score (5/5). Unlike MvC3 which got a 4/5. I can guarantee that MK9 will get tons of seemingly blind praise even if it's not that good of a fighting game.

When I saw the live demo for MK9 at E3, people were ooooooh-ing and aaaaaaah-ing for nearly everything shown. It was impressive, yes, but NetherRealm clearly had control over everyone in the audience almost instantly. I felt at that moment that people were going to love the new Mortal Kombat without even playing it.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Delriach said:
I felt at that moment that people were going to love the new Mortal Kombat without even playing it.

This blows my mind, because it's true. I just can't stand that it still looks like every character's got a broom shoved up their ass while animated.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
LeMaximilian said:
This blows my mind, because it's true. I just can't stand that it still looks like every character's got a broom shoved up their ass while animated.

holy crap im not the only one. The animation imo is terrible. They all look like they're flailing about. It looks like they're relying on the sound team to deliver all the 'impact' in the game

Lost Fragment said:
Keep spamming, loser
My dick plays better than you
You're a fucking scrub
Papercuts said:
I want you to burn
Yes, burn to death painfully
You cheap spamming fuck
This is some good stuff here. I'd be okay with trashtalk if people got this creative!
Lost Fragment said:
Regardless of what people on gaming message boards say about the series, MK sells. MK vs DC sold like 2.5mil which is more than what both SF4 and SSF4 have sold combined, IIRC. It's not a perfectly fair comparison because MK vs DC came out like...a year or so earlier than SF4, but still.

And that game was relatively low budget. MK9 looks like it probably has the biggest budget of any MK game ever. So I don't know if Capcom rushed MvC3 out early to avoid a conflict with MK or not, but it's reasonable to assume it might've been part of the reason.
This is pretty crazy. I never knew the MK brand was so powerful here in the US. I used to play the older ones. The new ones never really caught my eye.

I guess I must be missing out.
Gr1mLock said:
holy crap im not the only one. The animation imo is terrible. They all look like they're flailing about. It looks like they're relying on the sound team to deliver all the 'impact' in the game
This was a big turn off for me as well. I never thought much of it when I was younger, but it got on my nerves as I got older.

Gr1mLock said:
I seriously have gotten over 50 hate mails in about 130 matches. This shit is straight up retarded.. and its mostly FROM sentinel phoenix players who cant seem to block high. i mean its not a big deal..people will talk but i have yet to ever lame someone out

If this ratio is true, you must be doing something really retarted or you only fight retards.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Gr1mLock said:

I honestly wish they just mo-capped everything, because it looks really bad. At least mo-cap will somewhat resemble the old digitized sprites of yore.

Sofo

Got to try this game at a retailer store, really loved it. Someone had already selected Dante, so I got to try it out, it was really smooth!

Delriach

Banned
Lost Fragment said:

Pretty sure Capcom announced in 2009 that vanilla Street Fighter IV sold 2.5 million in their financial report. I don't know how much SSFIV did. I know it sold over 1 million combined for both systems.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
LeMaximilian said:
I honestly wish they just mo-capped everything, because it looks really bad. At least mo-cap will somewhat resemble the old digitized sprites of yore.

if its key frame its even more bizarre...but ill get it anyway so i guess im just complaining for no raisin

chriskun

its obvious capcom pushed this game out the door, im pretty dissappointed in it but the baseline mechanics of it are so fun it doesnt really matter.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
schennmu said:
If this ratio is true, you must be doing something really retarted or you only fight retards.

wow really..thanks for taking the time to respond to the retarded comment.

NEO0MJ

LeMaximilian said:

I too find the animation atrocious, and frankly the epitome of blandness.

zlatko

Banned
All this info about MK is somewhat mind blowing. Makes me have a different outlook on it since I didn't expect it had this much power as a brand.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
schennmu said:
Yes, MK animations are a bit too retro for my taste.

Come on, don't pretend hate mail isn't fun sometimes ;)

lol...well duuuh..that IS the point..what i was saying is that honestly i never got that much of it before...hdr..sc4..sf4..ssf4...shit pales in comparison...i payed one night and fucking LOST most of the time..and dudes were still cursing me out

Caj814

LeMaximilian said:

LOL

I think MK proves that the mentality of an average game is that "FATALITIES R AWESUM!!11" regardless on how clunky everything else may look. MKvDCU probably got most of it's sales because people assumed you could rip Superman's head off or cause Batman to explode.

Most MK fans I know aren't really a part of the "real community" though. They mostly buy it for the fatalities and sell it or let it collect dust afterwards. The franchise gets the sales but rarely keeps the longevity(MK2 and UMK3) but with MK9 being a key game at Evo2k11, this could change if there's a great show and enough hype from the players.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Delriach said:
Pretty sure Capcom announced in 2009 that vanilla Street Fighter IV sold 2.5 million in their financial report. I don't know how much SSFIV did. I know it sold over 1 million combined for both systems.

Looks like you're right about this, but MK sells a lot regardless. Especially in America.

zlatko

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
You don't remember the 90s?

I was so high then. Haha j/k.

90's were the 90's. Yeah MK was the bomb then, but I really thought the brand and the series had gone totally down hill the further along videogames got. Which had to be true to some extent if Midway shut down and Ed's team had to get bought up by Warner right?

I'm less skeptical now that this new MK will do well that's for sure. I'll be keeping a closer eye on it now like I said. Back in the day in the 90's when I was a little one, my very first game I bought when I got the Genesis was MK1. :)

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
zlatko said:
This is the only game I constantly get hate mail from when I win. The online players are SUPER salty.

The only times I get upset is when a person will spend the last 30 seconds doing nothing but flying around to avoid me. They won't even try to attack or even punish...just fly and burn that time. Still I don't rage, I just /sigh and search for a new game.

I've been running Zero, Sent, Dpool/ Dante, Sent, Dpool/ Taskmaster, Sent, Doom as my teams, and anytime my first character touches them at the start of fights I'll go to town and deal a lot of damage or else kill their point character. I guess that scares them to the point of not even bothering to fight anymore if they can secure a life lead.

:(

Well sent is the recurring problem ;). The issue with sent is yes he is beatable but frankly you need to level up pretty hard to be able to have an easy time with even scrubs. So I can see why most players are avoiding the fight once they get a life lead... sent is just cheapness incarnated lol ;).

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
scoot3r said:
Man guys i bought this game day one, ive had a few online matches won my first one but dropped the next 5 or so. I hate to say it but this game to me is a little....intimidating, i guess is the word. Seems like alot of studying is required to be at least competent in this game. Ive been using dante deadpool and a random guy as my team.

Yes a whole lot... been 2 weeks and only now I've started winning consistently. Had my first perfect today with my anti sent team : Wolverine, Akuma, Zero. Team Reset that Rush ;). And I still have a tonne to learn, timing in this game is everything and learning when and how to use assist is going to take time!

zlatko

Banned
DarkoMaledictus said:
Well sent is the recurring problem ;). The issue with sent is yes he is beatable but frankly you need to level up pretty hard to be able to have an easy time with even scrubs. So I can see why most players are avoiding the fight once they get a life lead... sent is just cheapness incarnated lol ;).

If I only had Sent left with X-factor I'd run too. I'm talking about they killed my Sentinel early on or my Deadpool, managed to squeeze out just a sizable chunk of a life lead, and burn 30+ seconds on the clock flying around avoiding me and my Zero.

It's a fine and fair way to approach a fight I think if their last character is Sentinel or Phoenix and you want to run clock since the fear of them got to you. However, when I still have two characters, and you have two characters, then you piss the rest of the fight not even trying to approach me... I get a little huffy about it. It's a fighting game isn't it? At least have the nerve to fight me... too often when I try to get them on their way down from flight, or try to get up there with a super jump/fly myself I just get blown up or pushed blocked back.

Anyone found a good way to counter someone who does this? I think it was Storm players earlier that were blowing me up by flying off and avoiding the fight altogether.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
zlatko said:
If I only had Sent left with X-factor I'd run too. I'm talking about they killed my Sentinel early on or my Deadpool, managed to squeeze out just a sizable chunk of a life lead, and burn 30+ seconds on the clock flying around avoiding me and my Zero.

It's a fine and fair way to approach a fight I think if their last character is Sentinel or Phoenix and you want to run clock since the fear of them got to you. However, when I still have two characters, and you have two characters, then you piss the rest of the fight not even trying to approach me... I get a little huffy about it. It's a fighting game isn't it? At least have the nerve to fight me... too often when I try to get them on their way down from flight, or try to get up there with a super jump/fly myself I just get blown up or pushed blocked back.

Anyone found a good way to counter someone who does this? I think it was Storm players earlier that were blowing me up by flying off and avoiding the fight altogether.

Yeah that's different altogether... yeah seen this with a phoenix player. Kept flying at the top corner all the time. Only solution I would see is get a char who can fly or Spencer who can grab then off the air.

Its an extremely lame boring tactic and unless you have meter for a full screen super while they fly or have a flying char your pretty much stuck at trying to get them when they land...

With zero though, you should be able to use the electricity trail to get them goes very high and you can command dash to get higher.

zlatko

Banned
DarkoMaledictus said:
Yeah that's different altogether... yeah seen this with a phoenix player. Kept flying at the top corner all the time. Only solution I would see is get a char who can fly or Spencer who can grab then off the air.

Its an extremely lame boring tactic and unless you have meter for a full screen super while they fly or have a flying char your pretty much stuck at trying to get them when they land...

With zero though, you should be able to use the electricity trail to get them goes very high and you can command dash to get higher.

I forget, but can you block in the air if you are flying? I should test if H version of air electricity reaches them. I know that the QCB + H or M just leaves me open to getting exposed. When someone plays keep away in this game, and they are decent at it, it can be really tough to catch them with some characters. I'll just have to figure out what I can do with what I have left at the time. I always try to stock up a meter or two at the start of a fight if I see a storm on someones team before game starts now for doing hard drives with Sentinel in case they try to get too air happy. Deadpool can also do a solid job if you properly space him for his QCF +H or do it in the air to shoot someone. Usually landing that a few times will get them to come back down, or at least scare them that they might get hit.

Darkman M

LeMaximilian said:

Yeah the animations are pretty horrid, not sold on it being a serious tourney game, but i will get it just to play around a bit.

Grecco

Delriach said:
One thing you have to realize is that MK9 most likely will be reviewed better regardless if it's even a better game. I have a very strong feeling that people are going to praise it since the game caters to a larger audience by having more content than just fighting. Plus it's a return to form and I think that already will give people a more positive look on the game.

Even MK vs DCU, a game that was not well received, got high scores from some publications. Fan favorite sites like Giant Bomb gave it a perfect score (5/5). Unlike MvC3 which got a 4/5. I can guarantee that MK9 will get tons of seemingly blind praise even if it's not that good of a fighting game.

When I saw the live demo for MK9 at E3, people were ooooooh-ing and aaaaaaah-ing for nearly everything shown. It was impressive, yes, but NetherRealm clearly had control over everyone in the audience almost instantly. I felt at that moment that people were going to love the new Mortal Kombat without even playing it.

I played MK vs DC yesterday after a long while. God the game is janky as hell. Lots of characters with the same moves. Others with terrible moves (Wonder Woman is awful). Terrible hit detection. I am kind of stunned dat how GB gave it a 5/5

Delriach

Banned
Grecco said:
I played MK vs DC yesterday after a long while. God the game is janky as hell. Lots of characters with the same moves. Others with terrible moves (Wonder Woman is awful). Terrible hit detection. I am kind of stunned dat how GB gave it a 5/5

Jeff Gerstmann is a pretty big MK fan. That's still no excuse, really. Even MK fanboys know the problems with MK vs DC. I put a lot of hours into that game too. >_> Even have the platinum trophy lol. I only bought it because I was ultra hype for anything fighting related. Didn't matter if it wasn't good lol.

Masamuna

Pretty comfortable with my mainstay teams, just need some suggestions on another formula.

Zero (projectile)/Ammy (cold star)/Dante (jam)
Zero (dp)/Ammy (cold star)/ Doom (beam or missiles)

The first teams's mobility seems limited to mid range due to lack of beam assist whereas the latter can work at any range. First team is also a bit squishier.

Kimosabae

Banned
If one wants to study the social phenom of scaling expectations, then look no further than a gaming community.

It sounds selfish, but part of me is glad online is working out the way it is. I miss the days when wanting to play a fighting game you loved meant community building in your local area, not sending mass XBL friend requests.

Yes, I'm old and bitter. Get off my lawn, etc.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Kimosabae said:
If one wants to study the social phenom of scaling expectations, then look no further than a gaming community.

It sounds selfish, but part of me is glad online is working out the way it is. I miss the days when wanting to play a fighting game you loved meant community building in your local area, not sending mass XBL friend requests.

Yes, I'm old and bitter. Get off my lawn, etc.
Kind of a poor excuse imo. There's no good reason to phone in online implementation in multiplayer-dependent games in this day and age.

Though to be frank, I'm a little disappointed that GAF is so much more outraged about no spectator/replay/whatever than not having acceptable netcode in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom