• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR2K

Banned
God's Beard said:
Well considering that you can build meter with it, I'm sure that there's good uses. Isn't there an infinite blockstring with mad beast? That's five bars right there.

That block string is corner only, from what I saw. And running away completely nullifies mad beast. Wolverine's speed boost is more potent and only cost one bar.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
God's Beard said:
I'm gonna see if I can't steal an interview with Skill at EVO for Neogaf, anyone have questions? I'll try to ask the good ones. I already have a few unusual ones.

Well considering that you can build meter with it, I'm sure that there's good uses. Isn't there an infinite blockstring with mad beast? That's five bars right there.
I'd have questions, but you know they'd probably all change after SDCC.

Grecco said:
No questions, just tell him to make an account here.
I support this.

Neki

DR2K said:
That block string is corner only, from what I saw. And running away completely nullifies mad beast. Wolverine's speed boost is more potent and only cost one bar.
Yeah, but in Wolverine's speed boost you can block!

oh wait...

Dirtbag

I really want to learn Magneto or Dante next. Where should I start guys?
I don't really understand what I'm supposed to even do with those crazy magneto air dash combo's. As it stands now my main team is : Wolvie / Spencer / Akuma.. and I'm pretty efficient with it. I'm just ready to learn a few more characters for variety.

Grecco

Dirtbag said:
I really want to learn Magneto or Dante next. Where should I start guys?
I don't really understand what I'm supposed to even do with those crazy magneto air dash combo's. As it stands now my main team is : Wolvie / Spencer / Akuma.. and I'm pretty efficient with it. I'm just ready to learn a few more characters for variety.

If you want to learn Magneto first starti wht the basic fly day one combo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-3fjD3xjbc get that down and then star with the rom and gheto rom

pa browni

also agent x sucks, captain america sucks, brownies suck, maveericks suck ect.

Dahbomb

Dandy J said:
wolverine, phoenix, magneto, wesker, dog, dante... sorry dude
Zero is no 6 although he is pretty interchangeable with the dog.

Looks like we have a discussion of Zero and Jill on our hands. I haven't played with/against Jill to comment so my Jill analysis is strictly based off of online videos and stream play.

Why Zero is top 5:

*No bad match ups except Phoenix. His worst is like 5/5 and that's against the top 5.

*Very high priority attacks. His buttons are generally unrivaled in this game especially stuff like cr.B and j.C. Very few characters can consistently beat out Zero's normals. Combined with his own small hit box it becomes very difficult to get a hit on Zero. A lot of his normals are + on block.

*One of the best if not the best projectile in the game (Mega Buster). Causes knockdown from very far ranges and leads to his TOD combos. It has a massive hit box and makes Zero a threat from long ranges.

*High damaging/high meter building combos that aren't that difficult to do except for the newly found lightning loop. With assists he can push his damaging capabilities to TOD level.

*One of the best users of meter in the game. Sogenmu has a lot of utility (including some self-cross up stuff and more powerful combos), Rikkoha is a solid combo finisher (and a decent Phoenix killer) and of course his trademark LVL3 "home" wrecker.

*One of the characters with the highest "happy birthday" rates in the game due to long ranged attacks and LVL3 hyper hitting assists too.

*Has some of the dirtiest cross ups/mix ups in the game. Teleports, j.H cross ups, "taser" cross up, Sogenmu cross ups, cross ups using assists + dashes and an instant overhead. His air throws can lead to characters dead but he needs assist for throw damage (and high combo damage too).

Only low health and assist reliance keep him from the toppest of top but I would say he is top 6/top7. You will never feel at a disadvantage when playing with Zero and in this game that says a lot.

Zero not performing in tournaments is the same reason why Dante isn't doing well at tournaments. Both of these characters have under performed but their potential is undeniable. They both require considerable work as compared to Wolverine. When people speak highly of Zero they generally mean in a potential sense. To be honest, aside from Marn there are very few great Zero players out there although there are some very good Zero players from Japan to watch out (including one that Tokido claims is better than him... uses Zero/Dante/Akuma).

What I feel about Jill (again, no actual match experience just observations):

I feel that Jill is essentially a watered down version of X-23 who is a some what watered down version of Wolverine. She has the mix ups (instant overheads/left right), she has decent normals and ways to get in. She has heavy reliance on assists to do high damage on some of her set ups. Her air throw game is no where near Wolverine's level. She does have a DHC glitch starter but so does X-23. Her LVL1 is ok as well, nothing godlike.

The main problem with her is Mad Beast. Biggest waste of 3 meter there is. It should be just like Wolverine's Berserker Charge, no meter gain but 1 meter. Yes you can gain meter during it but whenever you don't kill a character with it then you just wasted a bunch of meter for nothing. Yes it has some loops, infinite block strongs but so does Berserker Charge (some what).

You can't really play her anchor because her assists aren't godlike. It's really at anchor where she shines when she has access to a lot of meter and X factor. At point she is decent but there are a lot of better point characters out there.

Grecco

Zeros low life doesnt mean a hell of alot now in the current metagame, where its pop xfactor lvl 1 and kill anybody in your first combo.

Also while he takes more work compared to Wolverine, it isnt that much work. His basic Buster shot combo deals 600k ish and its relatively easy to do.

I'm gonna see if I can't steal an interview with Skill at EVO for Neogaf, anyone have questions? I'll try to ask the good ones. I already have a few unusual ones.
Assuming SDCC has a happy announcement for us all:
Ask him about making TACs non-random, like they are in SFxT and TvC. I think everyone can agree that this would be a good change.

Let him know that every single GAF member wants better netcode.

Lobby for Rathalos (I know you are with me on this one).

Umm...I think anything else would be something I'd have to talk with him about 1v1, so it's a no-go, unless you'd be willing to pass on a small essay for me, haha.

Dirtbag

Nils said:
I get that, but I also get Capcom's argument. Here's the video where Seth explains the reasoning behind X-Factor if you're curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiZJgsByUS0&feature=player_embedded
A bigger part of the problem is how punishable entering characters are. Kill off a character with x-factor and you get a huge advantage on killing the next character just on entry.

Perhaps if you held up on the stick your character would jump in from a higher point. Holding down they roll in. Holding forward they dash in on the ground using their current dash method. Holding backwards they jump in from the opposite screen side. Holding nothing they jump in as they normally do. Maybe just allowing a player to call an assist for a split second before they jump in might do the trick.

This is why wolvie is such a beast with lvl1 x-factor

smurfx

get some go again
mr. puppy said:
Does Zero work anywhere else besides on point?
i start my zero on point but i then use sougenmmu and then use him as an assist to cover taskmaster. the double handangeki assist is awesome for rush down or zoning.

Karsticles said:
Assuming SDCC has a happy announcement for us all:
Ask him about making TACs non-random, like they are in SFxT and TvC. I think everyone can agree that this would be a good change.
What do you mean by that?

Dahbomb

God's Beard said:
Instead of TACs being a guessing game... make it so that it takes 1 meter to use it but it's guaranteed. Eliminates the random factor and allows for a strategic switch in character with the cost of a meter.

In TvC and SFxT, there's an input you make to "TAC", and it costs you one meter, but there's no counter. I would strongly prefer this over a system that is random and has my opponent gaining meter.

So, just to be clear:
In MvC3, when you are comboing someone, you can press S+Direction, and unless your opponent also inputs S+Direction (left/right being interchangeable), you tag in a fresh character, with hitstun not existing until you hit the ground, and you gain meter depending on the direction you chose. If your opponent input the correct S+Direction, your exchange is countered, and your combo ends.

In TvC, when you are comboing someone, you input qcf.S, and you tag in a fresh character. There are no counters, and this costs 1 bar of meter.

In SFxT, when you are comboing someone, you can basically perform the TvC tag system for 1 bar. I don't know much more about it beyond that, because I've never played the game.

So, I would like MvC3 to adopt the TvC/SFxT system; make it guaranteed, but cost meter. They might have to tinker with it a bit for balancing purposes (if hitstun scaling resets, TACing to Magneto every combo would get ridiculous).

All that I care about is TACs no longer being random; I'll leave the rest up to Capcom.

CPS2

That would be sick. I really like TAC's and how they get rid of hit stun scaling until you hit the ground. Still it feels like a bit of a waste of a mechanic, or poorly implemented by the dodgy guessing game. Anything that makes some of the best combos in the game, automatically less legit is annoying. Also let us xfc in the air please >_< you can do it in tvc...

X Factor in the air? LOL let's buff X Factor even more please.
I don't think this is a bad idea on its own, but not in the current state of X-Factor.

1) Part of what makes Wolverine so strong is that he doesn't need to think about using X-Factor. Launch, MMH, Drill Claw, Dive Kick, then you have all the time in the world to think about whether you want to X-Factor before the relaunch. If characters like, say, Thor, who don't get a relaunch (EVER, he can't even do it unless you just HS on the relaunch), could make this decision mid-air, Wolverine wouldn't be so uniquely stellar in this feat.

2) Characters with aerial hypers are at a disadvantage, as they cannot X-Factor cancel any of their hypers. No matter what hyper I do with Super-Skrull, if it's a bad hyper, I'm done for. I have no recourse.

3) Admit it. You want to see Ice Storm (XFC) Ice Storm.

CPS2

Dahbomb said:
X Factor in the air? LOL let's buff X Factor even more please.

Well I kinda just want it to be like a roman cancel or guard cancel, no speed up or damage boost. Also keep the red life regain and no chip damage. I think that's all it needs to do...

Dahbomb

Ice Storm XF Ice Storm would still not work. You still have to activate it on the ground and by that time the opponent would've recovered. Lighting Storm XF Lightning Storm should work.

Part of the reason why I don't like XF in the air is because it would buff Phoenix a lot. A lot of the strategy for killing Phoenix is stuff that involves aerial chip ala Dorm Stalking Flare. She either takes the chip or teleports to which Dorm can XF punish.

And of course it would eliminate a lot of the legit aerial punishes in the game like Rhino Charging Zero's j.H or XFC punishing the Wolverine Dive Kick.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Karsticles said:
I don't think this is a bad idea on its own, but not in the current state of X-Factor.

1) Part of what makes Wolverine so strong is that he doesn't need to think about using X-Factor. Launch, MMH, Drill Claw, Dive Kick, then you have all the time in the world to think about whether you want to X-Factor before the relaunch. If characters like, say, Thor, who don't get a relaunch (EVER, he can't even do it unless you just HS on the relaunch), could make this decision mid-air, Wolverine wouldn't be so uniquely stellar in this feat.

2) Characters with aerial hypers are at a disadvantage, as they cannot X-Factor cancel any of their hypers. No matter what hyper I do with Super-Skrull, if it's a bad hyper, I'm done for. I have no recourse.

3) Admit it. You want to see Ice Storm (XFC) Ice Storm.
so yea, its a bad idea

SmokeMaxX

Dahbomb said:
Instead of TACs being a guessing game... make it so that it takes 1 meter to use it but it's guaranteed. Eliminates the random factor and allows for a strategic switch in character with the cost of a meter.
Now I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I imagine that there are (or will be) several characters that can gain one meter after a TAC. So you're letting infinites in since TAC changes the properties of hitstun decay.

Neki

Ice Storm XF Ice Storm would still not work. You still have to activate it on the ground and by that time the opponent would've recovered. Lighting Storm XF Lightning Storm should work.
???

what? If you activated x-factor in the air, you'd cancel your animation in the air and you could do it again.

Dahbomb

SmokeMaxX said:
Now I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I imagine that there are (or will be) several characters that can gain one meter after a TAC. So you're letting infinites in since TAC changes the properties of hitstun decay.
Of course it goes without saying that hitstun deterioration post TAC needs to be looked at. Of course characters like Magneto would fucking ruin people's shit with the new TAC system.

what? If you activated x-factor in the air, you'd cancel your animation in the air and you could do it again.
Hailstorm can only be activated on the ground. So let's map this out in our heads as to how this will play out:

*Storm activates Hailstorm. Goes from ground state to air state.

*Air X factor cancels. Storm still in the air state but CANNOT use Hailstorm as it requires Storm to be on the ground.

*Storm drops to the ground and activates Hailstorm again after the X Factor. By now the previous Hailstorm has finished and the start up time of the next Hailstorm would allow the opponent to escape.

Ice Storm retains after you DHC out of it, so I am assuming that when you XFC the first one, the ice continues to rain down. So, it would be kind of like Hyper Sentinel Force.

Part of the reason why I don't like XF in the air is because it would buff Phoenix a lot. A lot of the strategy for killing Phoenix is stuff that involves aerial chip ala Dorm Stalking Flare. She either takes the chip or teleports to which Dorm can XF punish.
Well, like I said, this would be on the assumption that X-Factor gets some major balance tweaks. That might not be necessary in this new world I imagine...

Hailstorm can only be activated on the ground. So let's map this out in our heads as to how this will play out:

*Storm activates Hailstorm. Goes from ground state to air state.

*Air X factor cancels. Storm still in the air state but CANNOT use Hailstorm as it requires Storm to be on the ground.

*Storm drops to the ground and activates Hailstorm again after the X Factor. By now the previous Hailstorm has finished and the start up time of the next Hailstorm would allow the opponent to escape.
You are severely underestimating how long Ice Storm lasts, methinks. I think she would have plenty of time to start a new one.

I mentioned this previously; how TACs operate in general would have to change. TvC never had to deal with flight characters like Marvel has. IMO, TACs could just lower hitstun decay, but not reset it, and it'd still be worthwhile. Or, they could not reset hitstun decay at all, but reset damage decay.

You can't activate x-factor in the air
This is what happens when you jump in the middle of a conversation without context sir!

Karsticles said:
This is what happens when you jump in the middle of a conversation without context sir!

TRUE STORY. I'm at work so couldn't read everything. Just scrolled up so ignore what I said.

edit: for x-factor to be like roman cancel or rapid cancel, I think it should use meter instead of using once per match.

Dandy J

Grecco said:
Magneto is too execution intensive.
none of mags hard stuff is necessary. in this game in general, there is little reward for doing the harder combo. a lot of people went backwards and started doing easier combos, just because dropping combos is bad in this game and the reward you get is small. the only hard thing you have to learn for magneto is to do 2 reps of the hypergrav loop from an otg so you can fly combo midscreen to the corner then dhc glitch.

Dahbomb said:
Zero is no 6 although he is pretty interchangeable with the dog.
He isn't, because there is 1 huge difference between him and the rest of those characters...he needs an assist to do anything scary, they don't. Dog is in a different league, just from being able to go past the screen limits alone.

Dahbomb said:
??? The first hailstorm would allow plenty of time for her to lock you into another one.

TRUE STORY. I'm at work so couldn't read everything. Just scrolled up so ignore what I said.

edit: for x-factor to be like roman cancel or rapid cancel, I think it should use meter instead of using once per match.
This has other consequences though, and it depends on whether X-Factor can be used to cancel blockstun. If it can, the game becomes a huge turtle-fest, because as soon as you touch your opponent he'll cancel blockstun and smash your face in. Then your opponent wants to X-Factor cancel his attack to be safe, so you're just staring at each others' faces.

So, it's more reasonable to say that X-Factor can't cancel blockstun, and I'd be fine with that, but some characters, like Dr. Doom, would need rebalancing, since he's specifically designed to XF3C into Doom's Time to even his odds in making a comeback.

Then the question becomes: if players can use meter to roman cancel, will hypers be used at all? XFCing an unsafe decision is already very popular. It's hard to imagine a situation where I'd rather get 200K extra damage over the ability to save my character's life. And level 3s? Never unless it's just to show off.

Karsticles said:
This has other consequences though, and it depends on whether X-Factor can be used to cancel blockstun. If it can, the game becomes a huge turtle-fest, because as soon as you touch your opponent he'll cancel blockstun and smash your face in. Then your opponent wants to X-Factor cancel his attack to be safe, so you're just staring at each others' faces.

So, it's more reasonable to say that X-Factor can't cancel blockstun, and I'd be fine with that, but some characters, like Dr. Doom, would need rebalancing, since he's specifically designed to XF3C into Doom's Time to even his odds in making a comeback.

Then the question becomes: if players can use meter to roman cancel, will hypers be used at all? XFCing an unsafe decision is already very popular. It's hard to imagine a situation where I'd rather get 200K extra damage over the ability to save my character's life. And level 3s? Never unless it's just to show off.

That's true. This also works 'cause in BB/GG, you only have 2 50% meters to work with (in case of frc, four 25%s). Once per match without any consequences/meter is still pretty strong, although I'd prefer this over the current x-factor.

It might also be okay if you can't roman cancel if you haven't hit your opponent (whiffed super) and forces you to dhc instead. And yes, using while blockstun is way too strong.

Dahbomb

He isn't, because there is 1 huge difference between him and the rest of those characters...he needs an assist to do anything scary, they don't. Dog is in a different league, just from being able to go past the screen limits alone.
Wesker needs assists to be scary (or XF) and so does Wolverine to some extent. Dog doesn't have as high damaging combos as Zero or as great of a LVL3 or as great of a projectile in the air like Mega Buster. And Zero isn't crippled or anything without assists. With Sogenmu on he is still quite scary and you have to go on the defensive which allows him to get in, mix you up or just pressure you.

Now that I realized that Storm locks you in and stays on screen even if you DHC out, I have to change my assessment on Hailstorm XF Hailstorm. You should have enough time to land and do another one provided you XF really early into the Hailstorm. It's sort of hard to tell because it also takes quite some time for Storm to start up Hailstorm after landing too.

That's true. This also works 'cause in BB/GG, you only have 2 50% meters to work with (in case of frc, four 25%s). Once per match without any consequences/meter is still pretty strong, although I'd prefer this over the current x-factor.

It might also be okay if you can't roman cancel if you haven't hit your opponent (whiffed super) and forces you to dhc instead. And yes, using while blockstun is way too strong.
I'm iffy on this. As a Dormammu user, it would really frustrate me if my opponent could XFC anything he does, making Chaotic Flame essentially impotent for punishing my opponent.

On the other hand, I want to throw my TV out the window every time I have to fight Akuma in level 3 X-Factor, so I think this is a good idea. Punishing in general is just waaaaay too easy in this game. Sure, Marvel 2 had beam hypers, but only one of them (Cable) was any good, and he was frustrating at heck to play against. Marvel 3 is like a bunch of Cables got thrown in the game, and now they can DHC into each other for massive damage.

So, overall, I'll take Chaotic Flame being demoted to in-combo only or assist punishment, and chip damage only outside of those two situations, in favor of being able to do something besides superjump spam against Akuma in level 3 X-Factor.

Dirtbag

What if using x-factor cost you a meter as well. That way phoenix couldn't x-factor after transforming right away. So you'll get at least one mix up if she tags out after transform... and lvl-1 xfactor wolvie won't have that immediate super after air combo. Another minor balancing thought.

Karsticles said:
I'm iffy on this. As a Dormammu user, it would really frustrate me if my opponent could XFC anything he does, making Chaotic Flame essentially impotent for punishing my opponent.

On the other hand, I want to throw my TV out the window every time I have to fight Akuma in level 3 X-Factor, so I think this is a good idea. Punishing in general is just waaaaay too easy in this game. Sure, Marvel 2 had beam hypers, but only one of them (Cable) was any good, and he was frustrating at heck to play against. Marvel 3 is like a bunch of Cables got thrown in the game, and now they can DHC into each other for massive damage.

So, overall, I'll take Chaotic Flame being demoted to in-combo only or assist punishment, and chip damage only outside of those two situations, in favor of being able to do something besides superjump spam against Akuma in level 3 X-Factor.

The thing is, Capcom is more interested in this "comeback factor" (ultra in sf4, and the "too strong xfc3" in mvc3) than balancing the gameplay, it looks like. Both of these reward you for losing. If they wanted a balanced gameplay, you'd see xfactor being used more like in arc games, where they trade off damage (supers) for safe offense (but only on hit) or trading off meter for extended combos. It would also benefit if it used up 2 meters instead of 1, essentially blocking off super, xfc, super, xfc, super. Keep in mind that the way I'm thinking, xfc would only work once the opponent hits with something. All whiffed attacks would not be xfc'able (ie, random wolvie dive kicks would not work) so your dormammu super is safe.

Grecco

Wolverine still needs the assist for the 50/50 Berserkslash gambit. Not any different than Zero and his Hiekyaku teleport. Only difference is Wolverine is invunerable, Zero isnt.

And thats why hes also the best character in the game. Well one of the many reasons

Dahbomb said:

If they added that but patched the DHC glitch that'd be a fair trade.

There needs to be a downside or at least a risk to TAC's. If I countered you on 1in3 guess that builds you meter, tags out your point and resets hitstun, I should at least get to punish you with a juggle as you fall down.

It's a little mindless IMO.

The thing is, Capcom is more interested in this "comeback factor" (ultra in sf4, and the "too strong xfc3" in mvc3) than balancing the gameplay, it looks like. Both of these reward you for losing. If they wanted a balanced gameplay, you'd see xfactor being used more like in arc games, where they trade off damage (supers) for safe offense (but only on hit) or trading off meter for extended combos. It would also benefit if it used up 2 meters instead of 1, essentially blocking off super, xfc, super, xfc, super. Keep in mind that the way I'm thinking, xfc would only work once the opponent hits with something. All whiffed attacks would not be xfc'able (ie, random wolvie dive kicks would not work) so your dormammu super is safe.
Sounds good. Send it to the print shop!

You know what's really hilarious? Capcom isn't giving SFxT any comeback factor, but instead they're giving it console-exclusive characters that will be banned from tournaments. What is up with that?!

If they added that but patched the DHC glitch that'd be a fair trade.
I look forward to the results of your interview.

TACs being guaranteed but cost meter? They did that in TVC but I guess they didn't like it enough to see it return.
Niitsuma probably watched some MvC2 videos, thought "holy crap this is random - Americans must love random", and adjusted the mechanic accordingly. Thus, we got the most random fighting game Capcom has ever produced.

Karsticles said:
You know what's really hilarious? Capcom isn't giving SFxT any comeback factor, but instead they're giving it console-exclusive characters that will be banned from tournaments. What is up with that?!

LOL, the more I watch that game, the more I feel like that's what SF4 should've been like.

Also, since we're talking about other cross overs, Capcom v. Tatsunoko's Baroque system would fit pretty well in mvc3. Wonder why that system is gone.

Neki

Capcom: "Strider introduced as a new playable character, only available exclusively on the PS3! You asked and we gave him to you!"

LOL, the more I watch that game, the more I feel like that's what SF4 should've been like.
I don't plan on playing either, honestly. I hate Tekken.

I've tried to like SFxT, but all of the matches are snoozefests.

Also, since we're talking about other cross overs, Capcom v. Tatsunoko's Baroque system would fit pretty well in mvc3. Wonder why that system is gone.
IDK, maybe they'll bring it back in Super? It's funny that for this game's sequel, my biggest hope isn't even character-based. I just want better netcode and refined mechanics.

Theres gonna be Xbox and PS3 exclusive characters ?
Cole is a PS3 exclusive, and Capcom has said there are more third-party characters on the way.

Capcom: "Strider introduced as a new playable character, only available exclusively on the PS3! You asked and we gave him to you!"
Hah, never. Capcom loves its money. Cole is only in SFxT because Sony gave them a bunch of it.

Karsticles said:
Sounds good. Send it to the print shop!

I doubt Cole is designed with the EVO crowd in mind.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
_dementia said:
That's not surprising. It's a good international showdown, unlike AE which will be slaughter from the Japanese players coming over.
or poongko

edit: or just the whole far east....and Wolfkrone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom