• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr. puppy

Banned
enzo_gt said:
ibRdfe.gif
oh my

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't play Doom, so I wouldn't know. Someone on the stream was running a ridiculous Strider/Sent/Doom, and it looked like Doom's projectiles might have gotten faster. o.0

W Hudson

Got a couple questions for MvC3 Gaf:

I've recently gotten back into the fighting game genre, mainly with the new Mortal Kombat (which I play pretty frequently and am pretty good at). I've been watching a lot of streams, and in addition to MK I really like watching Marvel as well. Never played any Marvel myself, but it looks like fun and I want to give it a shot. I have the PDP stick for MK (which I really like), do you think that I could use it for Marvel? From what I read Marvel has a 6 button layout so I think it would work OK with the right button mapping.

How hard are the combos to pull off in relation to MK? Also do certain attacks hit High, Overhead, and Low to connect against certain stances (like an overhead hitting a crouch blocking character)? From the streams I've watched I've heard talk of mix-ups and overheads, I just wanted to see if that is indeed what they are talking about.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
W Hudson said:

I've recently gotten back into the fighting game genre, mainly with the new Mortal Kombat (which I play pretty frequently and am pretty good at). I've been watching a lot of streams, and in addition to MK I really like watching Marvel as well. Never played any Marvel myself, but it looks like fun and I want to give it a shot. I have the PDP stick for MK (which I really like), do you think that I could use it for Marvel? From what I read Marvel has a 6 button layout so I think it would work OK with the right button mapping.

How hard are the combos to pull off in relation to MK? Also do certain attacks hit High, Overhead, and Low to connect against certain stances (like an overhead hitting a crouch blocking character)? From the streams I've watched I've heard talk of mix-ups and overheads, I just wanted to see if that is indeed what they are talking about.

Overheads hit crouching characters. Normal block gets beaten by low attacks. As the metagame is now left-right mixups are a bit better than high-low mixups. I can't fairly compare the combos in MK to the ones in Marvel as I never really bothered to learn any proper combos in MK but I think the basic combos are easier in general and are more lenient timing-wise. Most of the cast has a universal combo you can use. Light Medium Heavy Special (llaunch) Medium Medium Heavy Special (air smackdown). The harder combos can get very execution heavy, especially for characters like Dante and C. Viper. How the harder combos compare to the more difficult MK combos I have no clue.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah so those Dante sword hitboxes do not look very nerfed to me if you guys saw that last match, I think it's only the hitstun that got reduced. (edit: wrong thread)

Ultimoo said:
yo I should have specified viable, I'm not going to learn another non-viable character.
50_cent_cry_gif.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TestMonkey said:
Could someone please describe or link me to what Tron's j.H looks like now. You can take the assist but please don't hurt the combos!
It looks the same but it knocks them more to the side now so it appears you can't combo off of it, or no one has been able to.

It's cool, one day Tron players will discover j.S an they'll just spam that instead.

Neki

enzo_gt said:
It looks the same but it knocks them more to the side now so it appears you can't combo off of it, or no one has been able to.

It's cool, one day Tron players will discover j.S an they'll just spam that instead.

j.S doesn't cross up as well, and it uses your ground bounce very early in the combo, meaning no double super with Tron on anchor without x-factor.

enzo_gt said:

What about the j.H against an opponent in the air? My main concern is not that j.H is no longer a viable combo starter (I will miss dive bombing fools though) but that it will be unusable in combos. Not being able to continue a combo like j.S, j.M, j.M, j.H, (oh god please still work) s.M... would be terrible.

Your stick should me fine. The overhead/low thing was explained. Marvel combos are generally more difficult than MK9 ones, because MK9 gives you a massive window to perform them in.

Gustav fire got hit with the nerf bat. lolol
*happy dance*

LOL

I don't even understand why they would nerf her that much.
I wouldn't assume she's actually nerfed until people look at her closer. A bad change or two could be mitigated elsewhere.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ultimoo said:
j.S doesn't cross up as well, and it uses your ground bounce very early in the combo, meaning no double super with Tron on anchor without x-factor.
Oh damn.. R.I.P. MML.

@TestMonkey I'm no Tron expect (clearly) so I have no idea.

Azure J

Oh here's one more good question for God's Beard (praying he isn't too late putting this one foward), any chance for custom soundtracks in UMvC3?

Neki

Karsticles said:
Your stick should me fine. The overhead/low thing was explained. Marvel combos are generally more difficult than MK9 ones, because MK9 gives you a massive window to perform them in.

*happy dance*

I wouldn't assume she's actually nerfed until people look at her closer. A bad change or two could be mitigated elsewhere.

as far as things look right now, haggar is more viable than tron now.

*cries*

Dahbomb

I HAVE RETURNED!!!!

So what I miss guys? Is ComicCon over?

I want to know full details on mechanics/game play changes that have been made in UMVC3 or have been discovered through other media. I also wanna know any new info Capcom has put out concerning the game via press release or whatever.

Smo21

Dahbomb said:
I HAVE RETURNED!!!!

So what I miss guys? Is ComicCon over?

I want to know full details on mechanics/game play changes that have been made in UMVC3 or have been discovered through other media. I also wanna know any new info Capcom has put out concerning the game via press release or whatever.

I believe you need to change your avatar sir.
Also BAM http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29491617&postcount=4570

edit.
Also unity has Marvel coming up again.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/unity-events

Dahbomb

I read some of that Changelog and it's pretty much the changelog that I expected/wanted across the board. Nothing was too absurd but these things struck me a bit:

*Haggar Lariat no longer a HARD KNOCKDOWN!!!!!

WHY YOU GOTTA NERF THE BAD CHARACTERS CAPCOM??? Well to be honest it's really only a nerf to those OTG freak characters like Dante, Doom, Wesker, Felicia because they could really abuse that hard knockdown.

I am really hoping he got buffed as a point character to make up for this.

*Ryu buffs got my dick hard. ChrisG will be the hypest player of all time. Ryu might actually replace Akuma on some teams.

*Storm no longer being able to call out assists during float is sad... :( It's clear that they took it out so people won't go crazy with the Storm + meter building assist cheap tactics. I hope her Wind special makes it up for it.

*LOL Tron nerfs! Ultimoo am cry!

I am pretty sure there are a lot more in the game that will need further analysis. We will not have a full changelog until the game releases for sure.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dahbomb said:
*Storm no longer being able to call out assists during float is sad... :( It's clear that they took it out so people won't go crazy with the Storm + meter building assist cheap tactics. I hope her Wind special makes it up for it.

Wait, whaaaat. :(

I hope they leave her wind specials as is. I don't want to have to use meter for it. LOL

Did they take away Mag's flight combos? I don't think I saw them, at all.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
God's Beard said:
I'm loving the complete Magneto playstyle change. He's going to be so fun.

Seems like they really want to diversify the characters who had slightly overlapping playstyles. Ryu while different was often dissed for being Akuma light and Magneto kinda overwhelmed the other characters in his archetype class with the lighning fast disruptors. I like this approach.

Dahbomb

UMVC3 changelog has been surprisingly.... good.

These changelog usually are met with extreme hostility but everything I have seen is the stuff that this game needed and actually had some logic to it's basis.

Also the 2 day flight got me thinking about Strider. He is not as OP as I originally thought because his Ourobourus game is sort of nerfed (3 meters for it is a huge game changer). He might not even be the best point character but with meter, he can wreck shit. Capcom definitely intended Capcom to play a more standard teleport rushdown character with the buffs to his specials/normals. He is a meter whore but a very good one at that.

Nice to see Hailstorm x Hailstorm works!!! We were talking about that not too long ago before the game was even announced!

Air X factor is going to automatically buff a lot of the lower end characters. Characters like Dante aren't really affected by it that much (neither is Magneto) but for someone like Storm, Thor and Super Skrull, it's a game changer for them.

What does that hard kockdown nerf mean for Haggar's Lariat exactly?

So all the hits will hit, then they will flip into the air?

With Sent on point, I just launch them while the lariat is hitting. I used to let them fall to the ground and then H>launch with Doom at point. I guess the combos will have to be adjusted a bit.

And good on those Mags changes, heh.

Dahbomb

ThatCrazyGuy said:
What does that hard kockdown nerf mean for Haggar's Lariat exactly?

So all the hits will hit, then they will flip into the air?

With Sent on point, I just launch them while the lariat is hitting. I used to let them fall to the ground and then H>launch with Doom at point. I guess the combos will have to be adjusted a bit.
It just means that you have to launch them before they hit the floor. Before this, people just had their team built to take advantage of the hardknockdown (ie Dante, Viper, Doom, Felicia, Wesker).

It's more a nerf to those characters listed than a general nerf to Haggar... as silly as it sounds.

Hmm, almost sounds good for Haggar on point. If I happen to hit with the lariat and I don't want to burn meter, it could be set up for an air throw (and they can't roll away).

sephi22

Is it just me or does Capcom not look at the bigger picture while nerfing characters?
The only reason I see people pick these characters is because of the assists. When both teammates die, its painful to see Tron/Haggar spam j.H/pipe to start a combo.

Sure Capcom can give them more ways of getting in and making them better at point, but if their godlike assists are nerfed, then why would anyone pick them over Wolvie/Wesker/Strider?

Assuming Tron doesn't getting anything from now till launch (though she probably will), is there any team or role this current Tron fits in? Maybe the devs want us to play her as a battery rather than an anchor/assist character. Call assist, get in, do a long ass combo, build meter, rinse repeat. Her high health would also help her as a battery I guess.

Neki

sephi22 said:
Is it just me or does Capcom not look at the bigger picture while nerfing characters?
The only reason I see people pick these characters is because of the assists. When both teammates die, its painful to see Tron/Haggar spam j.H/pipe to start a combo.

Sure Capcom can give them more ways of getting in and making them better at point, but if their godlike assists are nerfed, then why would anyone pick them over Wolvie/Wesker/Strider?

Assuming Tron doesn't getting anything from now till launch (though she probably will), is there any team or role this current Tron fits in? Maybe the devs want us to play her as a battery rather than an anchor/assist character. Call assist, get in, do a long ass combo, build meter, rinse repeat. Her high health would also help her as a battery I guess.

she is already a battery, even though she did a poor job of it because she has terrible options of getting in, it's even worse now without j.H. she basically has to rely on random drills, j.S and (god forbid) her terrible command grabs in UMvC3.

God's Beard, ask Seth why we got no perfect in Marvel yet.

Dahbomb

First of all, we don't know of any other changes they made to the characters. They might be buffed in their point game (aside from Tron who did get a nerf in her point game too lol).

Second of all, Haggar's assist nerf isn't that big. He is still a top tier assist. I don't know the exact property changes on Tron's assist but if it's as bad as people say it is... Tron dropped a tier or two for sure. Her Rush drill is good... I guess.

I say wait for more information on balance changes... but it's very much looking like Tron is Mid to Low tier now. 2 of her BEST tools got nerfed and that was pretty much keeping her above Mid tier and popular in top tier teams.

Also speaking of which... Sentinel got nerfed too if the changes on the changelog are what I believe them to be. He was another character that was just "getting by" in high level play thansk to a godly assist.

smurfx

get some go again
haggar losing the hard knockdown doesn't mean too much to me. the only character i have that took advantage of it was zero but it was never a huge part of my strategy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Haggar losing hard knockdown is huge. Yes, great assist for invincibility but now what was once one of the best team combinations, Dante and Haggar, is no more. Any character that can self-OTG that was dependent on Haggar assist has now had their synergy put on notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom