• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkman M

zlatko said:
Fixed. If she touches him, much like any character she starts on, she can destroy them. However, if Sentinel touches her once she's done. So really she just has to fish out the Sentinel player to be stupid enough to commit to something super unsafe, teleport behind him, and blow him up. If she isn't given that opportunity though, she better hope to fuck she isn't the one who screws up even once, because Big Poppa Pump will slap frying pans across the face to send her back to the kitchen really fast.
True, but you can play that match up really lame with homing tk shots, he absolutely can't get past them, in dark Phoenix mode it becomes hilarious, you can just do standing m tk shot and it comes out so fast he can't do anything, it stuffs his hyper sentinel force before it can start, and they come out so fast he can't really super jump. If he has a bad match up Phoenix has to be the worst.

zlatko

Banned
Darkman M said:
True, but you can play that match up really lame with homing tk shots, he absolutely can't get past them, in dark Phoenix mode it becomes hilarious, you can just do standing m tk shot and it comes out so fast he can't do anything, it stuffs his hyper sentinel force before it can start, and they come out so fast he can't really super jump. If he has a bad match up Phoenix has to be the worst.

Lol, you gotta look at simply the fact that Sent has to touch her ONCE and it's over for her. Dark phoenix or regular. If a Phoenix is stupid and greedy enough to keep jumping into the air to do shots, he can just do a hard drive and catch her. If she wants to stay on the ground to shoot projectiles, he can just neutralize twice through it, or do one sentinel force towards her.

It's not as shitty of a match up as you think it is. When she's D.Phoenix it def. swings in her favor by a big amount, but again if you see the DP player is getting greedy to try and spam airjectiles with her to play keep away, then just hard drive her to death.

His worst match up I wager is actually Ama from what I've seen at higher level play. He can't get in on her, and she beats out his projectile game 100% clean. Plus her hypers can quickly punish Sentinel more if he wants to do random shit.

Edit: Are you SURE her L. Shot on ground beats out everything he does? Besides her medium is the fastest isn't it?

Darkman M

zlatko said:
Lol, you gotta look at simply the fact that Sent has to touch her ONCE and it's over for her. Dark phoenix or regular. If a Phoenix is stupid and greedy enough to keep jumping into the air to do shots, he can just do a hard drive and catch her. If she wants to stay on the ground to shoot projectiles, he can just neutralize twice through it, or do one sentinel force towards her.

It's not as shitty of a match up as you think it is. When she's D.Phoenix it def. swings in her favor by a big amount, but again if you see the DP player is getting greedy to try and spam airjectiles with her to play keep away, then just hard drive her to death.

His worst match up I wager is actually Ama from what I've seen at higher level play. He can't get in on her, and she beats out his projectile game 100% clean. Plus her hypers can quickly punish Sentinel more if he wants to do random shit.

Edit: Are you SURE her L. Shot on ground beats out everything he does? Besides her medium is the fastest isn't it?
I said M tk shot in dark Phoenix mode. It comes out so fast and his hit box is so huge it will be pretty hard to escape it if she is full screen away, and they do suprsingly amazing damage for projectiles.

hitsugi

MarshMellow96 said:
Did any of you guys read this? Seems to me that they're trying to get out of putting spectator mode in.

Love the meltdown though..

'for the people saying fuck capcom, how bout you go make the netcode and spectator mode and sell it to them you ungrateful idiots'

I think the most surprising part of that article is the fact that mmcafe is still going

hitsugi said:
I think the most surprising part of that article is the fact that mmcafe is still going

I personally find this part quite interesting:

'MVC3's project actually started around the same time as SF4 about 5-6 years back, and it wasn't developed as an offspring of TatsuvsCap.'

Confirm or deny? :p

It does beg the question what the fuck having they been doing all that time, however..

MoxManiac

MarshMellow96 said:

'MVC3's project actually started around the same time as SF4 about 5-6 years back, and it wasn't developed as an offspring of TatsuvsCap.'

It does beg the question what the fuck having they been doing all that time, however..

Working the details out on the licensing.

nilbog21

Banned
Ryota: "We threw in all the elements including ranking match, free match, rankings and the lobby, but we couldn't add in a spectator mode.

4Gamer: "Was it because of technical issues?"

Ryota: "That's correct. This title is a 3-on-3...

stopped reading

MoxManiac said:
Working the details out on the licensing.

So about 4 years sorting out the licensing, 1 year dev?

or 2/3?

or 3/3 equal split?

I'm very intrigued. Then again, if development was begun around the time of SFIV, it would explain why it's quite featureless compared to SSIFV.

There's no way Wesker is top 3 when his air game is so weak.

zlatko said:
That list needs Deadpool. People are slouching on him too much. Guy has got it all going on. :)

I don't think Captain belongs on "no major weakness" list as I've yet to see or fight a good one that can keep people off him. Some lower health characters on that list, but that's not a big deal anymore since almost anyone can die now from their opponent starting their combo string. Zero, other than low health, has an insane amount of options and mix ups available. Marn has shown exactly what that character is capable of on point.

Cap is special on my list in that his lack of weaknesses doesn't mean that he's as flexible as Trish or Mags. Defensively, he's pretty close to perfect. I don't have to worry about him being point because he has an answer to everything. Air L Shield Slash is an amazing zoning tool that stays out forever and has great frame advantage. Charging Star is a fantastic anti-projectile move. Stars and Stripes is a great reversal with solid invincibility. These qualities copy over to his hypers. His combos hit off of every situation, don't need meter and are universal. His shield slash assist is like a mini drones assist.

Are there any armor breaking moves that go through Hsien-ko's assist?
If you throw her, subsequent hits in that combo will disregard her armor.

anyone know how to do the rapid seismos with viper? ive never been able to do that
Jump cancel them. There are 4 frames when you input a jump animation where you are still grounded. During those 4 frames, input another seismo.

There are only three potential DLC characters that would matter gameplay-wise to this game:

1. Motherfucking Rathalos - Capcom has no large characters, very few characters have air to ground grapples, potential non-damage push move would be interesting.
2. Vergil - Strider but better. Ouroboros Phantom Blades, fullscreen psychic traps, strider slashes, teleport, devil trigger.
3. Dhalsim - There is no character based around mid-range precision normals.
I would love Rathalos, but I would love Blackheart even more.

19)Mega Man EXE 548 +52 (07.27%)

Fuck every single one of you for not voting this.
It's not like X wouldn't win anyway. I didn't even waste a vote on a Megaman, just because I know it will be Classic or X.

Most reliable way I tend to setup armored assist is to start with her in 2nd position. Build 2 meters with point, perform a hyper that stays onscreen for a while or otherwise locks the opponent down, DHC to armor, raw tag to 3rd. 3rd character gets in before the 1st character's hyper has dissipated, and Hsien-Ko assist is moved to 3rd team slot, meaning I can DHC and air tag back and forth between my first two characters without bringing her in on point. The drawback of this is that I have to open the match without the godly assist and not get my ass kicked before I build up that extra meter.
I played about 100 matches with her this weekend, and I think I might do this. It's such a pain to get the hyper off at the start of the match against a Wolverine backed by Sentinel's assist or something similar. I feel like this game shouldn't allow you to move before the match, because rushdown is already so strong, it's frustrating that zoners are essentially forced to start with a disadvantage.

Doesn't... MvC2 have spectator mode on XBL? And it's a faster game? I know it's much weaker graphically, but isn't the same type of data being sent, ultimately?
Capcom claims that the 3D graphics change everything. Everyone else says they're wrong; believe who you want. This is also the reason Capcom says GGPO wouldn't really work with the game.

Not gonna lie, I like playing keepaway Dante, even if he's not on any of my teams.

That QCF A+S fireball is so cool.
You can cancel it into Devil Trigger, too, and then teleport to cross-up.

Hsienko gold armor senbu assist > dark phoenix.
I tried this last night, and the result was a dead Hsien-ko. She did get that hit in, though.

If literally 99% of the "major" pro players have Sent in their team, and so does a good 50% of the higher ranked players in ranked. I'm pretty sure he's one of the best, if not the best, char in the game
I think it's mostly due to a combination of people still being new to the game, hype from MvC2 tier conceptions, and his assist, which is among the best in the game.

Niitsuma said 3 years were for pre-game development time (negotiating contracts, deciding the roster, etc.), and 3 years were for actual game development.

Karsticles said:
Niitsuma said 3 years were for pre-game development time (negotiating contracts, deciding the roster, etc.), and 3 years were for actual game development.

Do you have anything further on its development (i.e. good interviews, etc)?

hitsugi

haunts said:
Top 3 MVC3 Right NOW: Mags, Sent, Phoenix

Top 3 MVC3 6 Months From Now: Mags, Dante, Phoenix

edit re: capam - his major weakness is he needs an assist to do anything at all. lmao

yeah.. providing people are willing to continue putting in work, Dante is going to end up at the top. I think Viper should / could as well though.

Kimosabae

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:

It does beg the question what the fuck having they been doing all that time, however.

This is a speculation post I made some pages back:

I still don't get why people are so surprised and subsequently upset spectator mode isn't there. If the game was in development prior to SSF4, that pegs the game's development commencement at early 2009 the latest. That suggests (to me) Spectator mode couldn't have been a priority for them at that point, as well as the fighting game community at large, because its popularity as a feature hadn't been established yet. A FPS established the feature (Halo 3) and how many fighting games had it prior to DOA?

Spectator mode is great and all, but I don't think people are being reasonable about the possible explanations for its omission at all.

I just don't think the team saw it as an important feature early enough in its development to work it in, which is myopic, but reasonable.

Kimosabae said:
I just don't think the team saw it as an important feature early enough in its development to work it in, which is myopic, but reasonable.

It does make sense in context. It will be interesting to see if it ever gets one, nonetheless.

It just miss BB:CS's training mode, personally.

Do you have anything further on its development (i.e. good interviews, etc)?
It was during the flurry of interviews we got prior to release - I didn't save it. Niitsuma didn't say much other than what I said above, and that the game was in the works independently of SFIV and TvC; neither of those games helped get MvC3 made. However, he did say that their success helped because corporate didn't get worried and cut MvC3's funding midway.

The interview as I recall it was in a foreign language - it seems like foreign gaming magazines always ask better questions than US ones. Or maybe Niitsuma just likes to give them better answers...

RyanCE

Banned
I know Capcom likes to stress that this game has had some obnoxiously long development cycle, but it really only lasted for less than two years.

Actual development started sometime in 2009 (this has been repeated over and over by Niitsuma in various interviews) and finished in late 2010. Hell, according to the August 13 blog post by Akihito Kadowaki, the first two character models that the art team fooled around with were Ryu and Captain America — and this wasn't until the summer of 2009!

So yeah, in terms of actual programming and whatnot, MvC3 was in development for sometime between one-and-a-half and two years.

LiveWire

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Failed to join game session.

Over and over and over and aughhhhh.

Have you tried changing your Custom Search settings to Region: "Any" Language: "English" Rank: "Same"? Doing that helped immensely for me, I get maybe one error message for every 10 matches now.

Today I finished the arcade mode about 6 or 7 times without any ranked fights. Then finally when I challenger comes, it is a run away Akuma, Sentinel, Phoenix team. He ran away and tried to get 5 levels and then go for the phoenix. Sad part is that he didn't know how to play, but still had about 70% winrate. Probably just because of Dark Phoenix and Sentinel. Even though I won 2of3 matches (I kept getting him since seems like no one else was playing the game), I still couldn't enjoy it. This is what MvC3 is to me right now. Win or lose, you'll be pissed.
/rant

LakeEarth

Yeah, yesterday I had two successful "run away from regular pheonix for 60 seconds" match. At a professional level that's suicide, but online, they have no clue how to get in. I mean they'll teleport, but since that's pretty much all they can do, you're always ready for it.

malfcn

Still waiting to play this game on my own. Got to fool around with it at a friend's. Bought a copy off Amazon with disastrous results. The seller sent an empty box, yah that's right. When I contacted him it was like "my bad" - now he is doing a refund (who knows how long that will take) instead of sending out the copies he still has listed.

Rocky_Balboa said:
Today I finished the arcade mode about 6 or 7 times without any ranked fights. Then finally when I challenger comes, it is a run away Akuma, Sentinel, Phoenix team. He ran away and tried to get 5 levels and then go for the phoenix. Sad part is that he didn't know how to play, but still had about 70% winrate. Probably just because of Dark Phoenix and Sentinel. Even though I won 2of3 matches (I kept getting him since seems like no one else was playing the game), I still couldn't enjoy it. This is what MvC3 is to me right now. Win or lose, you'll be pissed.
/rant

Why not play with gaffers?

GatorBait

Does anyone else think X-Factor could be easily improved by either: 1) removing the increase in damage from level 1-3, but keeping the increase in time; or, 2) removing the increase in time from level 1-3, but keeping the increase in damage?

Very easy changes, still allows for "comeback" ability, keeps the versatility of X-Factor, but isn't exponentially stronger as you increase in level.

Does anyone else think X-Factor could be easily improved by either: 1) removing the increase in damage from level 1-3, but keeping the increase in time; or, 2) removing the increase in time from level 1-3, but keeping the increase in damage?

Very easy changes, still allows for "comeback" ability, keeps the versatility of X-Factor, but isn't exponentially stronger as you increase in level.
I would rather X-Factor just be a Roman Cancel that costs 1 bar of meter.

V_Arnold

Rocky_Balboa said:
/rant

Well, in a few days, we could play against each other if you want, I am putting together a reasonably non-op and non-runaway team (Trish/Wesker/Deadpool), but I have to practice it before I go "live" with them.

Dahbomb

Still kinda early to say. X factor would STILL kill 2 characters instantly if used correctly and would still make a 3 on 1 situation not seem bleak.

I think they need to look more at certain characters instead of X-factor itself. Like balance on the properties certain character receives.

I would also suggest toning down the additional block damage one received on X Factor. It is borderline disgusting, you are essentially forced to use your own to deal with it.

There are many ways to "tone down" X factor but you have to realize that 1) X factor is only available once in the game and 2) It is equally available to both players. If they use X Factor to kill your 2 characters instantly (like catching an assist and point character at the same time) then you get to use your LVL3 X Factor. If they "alpha counter" your block string with X Factor Cancel to punish you then you activate yours to counter their counter. If they X Factor to chip you to death, then you activate yours to negate X Factor.

X Factor undeniably adds another level of depth and strategy to the game. It's fittingly "Mahvel".

Desk put up some Viper combo vid earlier and it was so SICK. I'm going to really love Viper, but people gotta put in work with her. Not the kind of character that you can do basic shit, and win. Very technical character. Needs SERIOUS work.

Ferrio

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
Did any of you guys read this? Seems to me that they're trying to get out of putting spectator mode in.

Love the meltdown though..

'for the people saying fuck capcom, how bout you go make the netcode and spectator mode and sell it to them you ungrateful idiots'

I find it funny people were thinking they said they would put it in. From the beginning I was saying that I'd be surprised if it made it in, people swore up and down it'd be patched in with no confirmation where they got this info. We've been shown time and time against capcom doesn't really care about patching a game for features/balance. They will though sell you a nice new game with those said features.

Ferrio said:
I find it funny people were thinking they said they would put it in. From the beginning I was saying that I'd be surprised if it made it in, people swore up and down it'd be patched in with no confirmation where they got this info. We've been shown time and time against capcom doesn't really care about patching a game for features/balance. They will though sell you a nice new game with those said features.

this.

I don't recall them ever saying they would. Seems to be something people got from some unknown source and claimed it was fact straight from Capcom, similar to how everyone thought the DLC character poll was something official from the team when it was just a forum thing.

Ferrio

Banned
zlatko said:
My time with Task is limited but his ability to get in on people isn't that solid. If he does get in he can keep up a ton of pressure, he can deal out a lot of damage, and he's also got a good keep away game with arrows. Not sure at all about Morrigan though. Most people who use her are just keeping her around for assists purposes when I play against teams who have her on their team.

Ugh I hate this thing that Q does with task that I eat every time. He has this wicked range on his jumping attack. I'll try to get in, he'll jump back and attack. Even with jumping backwards momentum, soon as he lands he can continue the combo into something really nasty. I keep wanting to try and kara my slides into my throws, but usually i miss the kara, or time it wrong and i eat a sword :(

GatorBait said:

I have a feeling the comeback ability of X-Factor will decrease dramatically once people learn how to block correctly.

Pai Pai Master said:
I don't recall them ever saying they would. Seems to be something people got from some unknown source and claimed it was fact straight from Capcom, similar to how everyone thought the DLC character poll was something official from the team when it was just a forum thing.

When people started bitching and harassing Seth K about it, he said it was something that was being looked into. I don't recall any actual promises being made though, just assumptions that capcom would do the right thing and add what should have been in the game from the start.

Just played a few 360 matches with a gaffer since PS3 chat was empty and holy crap it was good fun.

GAF IRC chat makes it even better. I gotta get me some more of that action instead of the random ranked stuff.

Ferrio

Banned
_dementia said:
I have a feeling the comeback ability of X-Factor will decrease dramatically once people learn how to block correctly.

Trouble is you take a shit load of damage even when blocking. Also when it's a lvl 3, and someone is barrelling down on you with trijumps, teleports and what not... all it takes is one fuck up and you're a gonner. 100% defense during some of that sheningans is asking a lot.

Dahbomb said:
Still kinda early to say. X factor would STILL kill 2 characters instantly if used correctly and would still make a 3 on 1 situation not seem bleak.

I think they need to look more at certain characters instead of X-factor itself. Like balance on the properties certain character receives.

I would also suggest toning down the additional block damage one received on X Factor. It is borderline disgusting, you are essentially forced to use your own to deal with it.

There are many ways to "tone down" X factor but you have to realize that 1) X factor is only available once in the game and 2) It is equally available to both players. If they use X Factor to kill your 2 characters instantly (like catching an assist and point character at the same time) then you get to use your LVL3 X Factor. If they "alpha counter" your block string with X Factor Cancel to punish you then you activate yours to counter their counter. If they X Factor to chip you to death, then you activate yours to negate X Factor.

X Factor undeniably adds another level of depth and strategy to the game. It's fittingly "Mahvel".

I think as people keep playing it, there will be less people using it as a last resort. There will be some characters (read: Phoenix) that is almost essential to the gameplay, but a lot of people will find for other uses. I've already started to keep players away from touching the floor once their last character comes out to keep them from activating the X-Factor and once they do, some of those characters are REALLY easy to zone.

I mean, undeniably, some of those level 3 XF are worth saving, but I'm also sure that there will be a lot more uses than just for comebacks.

edit: Also, I use Ammy, whose lvl 3 blows. If she's still alive and my second character is about to die, if I can, I will always activate the X-Factor. X-factor on ammy is almost worthless.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
hitsugi said:
yeah.. providing people are willing to continue putting in work, Dante is going to end up at the top. I think Viper should / could as well though.

I wonder about Viper long term..shes so good but also a huge meter hog..

Ferrio said:
Trouble is you take a shit load of damage even when blocking. Also when it's a lvl 3, and someone is barrelling down on you with trijumps, teleports and what not... all it takes is one fuck up and you're a gonner. 100% defense during some of that sheningans is asking a lot.
Sounds just like high level Marvel 2 to me

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So no spectator mode due bandwith issues? Ok.
Why the hell the selected stage by default is the training stage? It should be 'Random'.
Pre Order cancelled.

Ferrio

Banned
Bandwidth excuse is such bullshit. They'll magically figure away around that issue next game. Playstation 3 rumble redux.

Fersis said:
So no spectator mode due bandwith issues? Ok.
Why the hell the selected stage by default is the training stage? It should be 'Random'.
Pre Order cancelled.
Just because they aren't purchase deciding issues doesn't mean we aren't entitled to be upset at little issues in our products we paid good money for.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SlamLOL said:
Just because they aren't purchase deciding issues doesn't mean we aren't entitled to be upset at little issues in our products we paid good money for.
Im actually bitching about the Stage Select Option so i agree with you.

Ferrio said:
Bandwidth excuse is such bullshit. They'll magically figure away around that issue next game. Playstation 3 rumble redux.
Spectator Mode is so last gen - Phil Harrison

It was originally said in a magazine's review of the game. Many people took/take the magazine's statement to be sourced from Capcom. Then, on Capcom-Unity, one of the moderators repeated the statement that it would be patched in a Stickied thread. Finally, Seth Killian said it was something they would possibly look into in the future. Thus the rumor spreads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom