• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was with you until here. Don't all of Captain America's Hypers have some projectile invincibility?
Hyper Charging Star beats all projectiles. Hyper Stars and Stripes has invulnerability frames, and Final Justice has invulnerability frames. None of these help the fact that Phoenix players generally take to the skies; he just doesn't have any way to get at her without helplessly superjumping toward her until she decides she wants to come down. It's different if Phoenix is fighting, say, Dormammu, who can at least throw out Purification or Stalking Flare to pressure her from anywhere on the screen - Phoenix has to do something against him. All of Captain's hypers are unsafe on block, too.

I agree, I like him in my second slot with Haggar on #3 so that he can lariat any pressure away from Dorm. In second slot, he also has a good amount of meter which is really where all his damage comes from.
Agreed. I don't like the Haggar assist though - it makes me lazy. Sort of like how, on release day, I would often just sit behind Sentinel's assist and throw out Dark Holes and Purifications as my opponents would get quickly chipped to death. It wasn't an ineffective strategy, but my other skills with Dormammu atrophied because Sentinel took care of a part of the game for me.

Dorm can handle the zoning, he can be rushed but I think overall he could handle it better (well once I get good with him on point) than my tron.
Dormammu can have some fun if he's being rushed and you still have X-Factor - Dimensional Bubble is invulnerable on startup, so you could always X-Factor to cancel block stun and catch them during a rush string.

Item Toss knocks Storm out of it. If nothing else, super jump. She might catch you wtih chip damage once, but there's no excuse for getting hit, meaning blocking, with 4 or 5 of those things in a row.
None of the item tosses reach full screen at jumping height, which is where Storm goes during startup. Plus, most Storm users cover the Ice Storm with a Whirlwind, and all of her items save the bomb only have one point of durability. You can superjump, but it still doesn't save you from the entire thing. Especially if she uses the Whirlwind to put you in blockstun first. It's just not a friendly situation for her to be in.

Oh yes, Sanford played the "I have a life" card when talking about the game. The only reason people are listening to what he says is the exact opposite (meaning playing SF games is his life), I'd beg to reconsider anything he speaks for future conversation.

Also regarding the 'women' remark, people don't seem to realize the level of respect you should be giving to the overall 'pro gamer'. These aren't people who had to go through anything specifically challenging, difficult or oppressive to get where they are now. Which is exactly why professional fighting game players will never get the same success/respect as professional athletes.

Sure, they all train hard, but one usually requires a healthy education and much more dedication(physical). It just bugs me whenever I hear stories of people just dropping whatever they should be doing for a life of Street Fighter fame, where they might be admired by an audience of sub 20,000 people. Shit's not worth it yo.

/endrant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj5USQfwNps
Good post.

LeMaximilian said:
Oh yes, Sanford played the "I have a life" card when talking about the game. The only reason people are listening to what he says is the exact opposite (meaning playing SF games is his life), I'd beg to reconsider anything he speaks for future conversation.

Also regarding the 'women' remark, people don't seem to realize the level of respect you should be giving to the overall 'pro gamer'. These aren't people who had to go through anything specifically challenging, difficult or oppressive to get where they are now. Which is exactly why professional fighting game players will never get the same success/respect as professional athletes.

Sure, they all train hard, but one usually requires a healthy education and much more dedication(physical). It just bugs me whenever I hear stories of people just dropping whatever they should be doing for a life of Street Fighter fame, where they might be admired by an audience of sub 20,000 people. Shit's not worth it yo.

/endrant

I could not agree with you more. Stay in school kids.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LeMaximilian said:

/endrant

Sounds like someone declined an offer from EG amirite?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
GuardianE said:
But why did you use your X-Factor already? Presumably, if you used it earlier, you should be at some advantage by the time the end game rolls around.

I agree that X-Factor is too powerful, but the reason you lose in that situation isn't because of the end game. It was because you let Phoenix get 5 levels, and you used your X-Factor early match, but were still in a situation of your tank character vs. Dark Phoenix at the end.

I played a guy using Thor/Hulk/Dante against my team of Deadpool/Sentinel/Arthur. I hurt his thor pretty bad with Deadpool, so he called in hulk. Deadpool almost died so I swapped to Sentinel, but his hulk got a nice combo on him and I didn't want to lose his assist, so I went back to Deadpool. I then fucked up and hulk caught deadpool and sentinel assisting in a combo, he needed to use x-factor to kill them both off. But here comes Arthur!

Level 3 x-factor Arthur throws projectiles SO DAMN FAST that it's completely insane. He didn't make a single mistake with Hulk, I never "hit" him, I literally killed him with chip. Same with Thor. I used hyper armor after thor and was just locking dante in the corner with arrows and bottles. He did the only thing he possibly could do here, teleport, and I used Arthur's level 3 to kill him. I didn't feel at all like I should have won that, his team was just not able to counter Arthur's crazy fast x-factor projectiles at all. And by that logic it was his fault for using x-factor to confirm 2 kills on a combo that ended up making the match impossible for him to win.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Papercuts said:
I played a guy using Thor/Hulk/Dante against my team of Deadpool/Sentinel/Arthur. I hurt his thor pretty bad with Deadpool, so he called in hulk. Deadpool almost died so I swapped to Sentinel, but his hulk got a nice combo on him and I didn't want to lose his assist, so I went back to Deadpool. I then fucked up and hulk caught deadpool and sentinel assisting in a combo, he needed to use x-factor to kill them both off. But here comes Arthur!

Level 3 x-factor Arthur throws projectiles SO DAMN FAST that it's completely insane. He didn't make a single mistake with Hulk, I never "hit" him, I literally killed him with chip. Same with Thor. I used hyper armor after thor and was just locking dante in the corner with arrows and bottles. He did the only thing he possibly could do here, teleport, and I used Arthur's level 3 to kill him. I didn't feel at all like I should have won that, his team was just not able to counter Arthur's crazy fast x-factor projectiles at all. And by that logic it was his fault for using x-factor to confirm 2 kills on a combo that ended up making the match impossible for him to win.

I have to admit, I've never fought a level 3 Xfactor Arthur, so I don't know how bad the spam is. You chipped his entire team to death, him with almost two full health characters, in 20 seconds? Did have have 3 Hyper bars? Could he have level 3 Hyper'd with Dante at any point between your projectiles?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
LeMaximilian said:

Also regarding the 'women' remark, people don't seem to realize the level of respect you should be giving to the overall 'pro gamer'. These aren't people who had to go through anything specifically challenging, difficult or oppressive to get where they are now. Which is exactly why professional fighting game players will never get the same success/respect as professional athletes. They do stuff that's entertaining to watch, period.

/endrant

This is true but makes me laugh harder at the guys who are bitching that MvC3 is so bad, the only reason da pro playas are playing it right now is because they can make the big bucks off it.

Because the Evo pot is enough cash in the bank to quit your day job and money matches bring in so much cash at Circus Circus that the Las Vegas mafia is thinking of asking for a cut.

I wonder how many fanboys think that Daigo actually wanders Japan like Ryu, without a home or job, and lives only for the fight and fleecing lunch money from middle school students at SFIV.

Azure J

LeMaximilian said:

This post is great, but I'm honestly surprised that I didn't catch this from before. I always thought that the majority of the pro guys had some other responsibility or jobs.

With that said, holy fuck, that video is great. :lol

Riposte

Can someone name a single instance in the long history of fighting games where a girl ranked high(lets say top 3) in a serious, high-level tournament? How many girls are in the ranks of the "best" players in various fighting games? Is it too politically incorrect to say a boxer fights like a girl? Sanford is making an objectively correct point in a colorful, perhaps distasteful, manner. In fact he isn't even that serious, because he knows there probably won't be any women MvC3 champions either(can anyone recall any female participants from recent tournaments?). Maybe a segregated women MvC3 tournament like we saw with SSF4 last year at EVO(and if you can recall, it was mostly embarrassing). To call him stupid for it, but at the same time judging his lifestyle is silly lol. At least respect his ability to judge fighting game players given his history in fighting games.

If you are surprised by how sexist he sounds, wait until you see the gay jokes and mild aversion to homosexuality from his peers on the same stream.

EDIT: Him playing "I have the life card" was stupid no matter how you slice it. I don't know if he was choking or something, but he could have just said it was luck he didn't get in to the finals of Winter Brawl or something.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Kaijima said:
I wonder how many fanboys think that Daigo actually wanders Japan like Ryu, without a home or job, and lives only for the fight and fleecing lunch money from middle school students at SFIV.

I don't know if Daigo currently works fulltime for his MadCatz sponsorship now, but prior to that he worked as a nurse in a hospital. Destroying and saving lives for 20 years, :lol

Karsticles said:
None of the item tosses reach full screen at jumping height, which is where Storm goes during startup. Plus, most Storm users cover the Ice Storm with a Whirlwind, and all of her items save the bomb only have one point of durability. You can superjump, but it still doesn't save you from the entire thing. Especially if she uses the Whirlwind to put you in blockstun first. It's just not a friendly situation for her to be in.
Alright, I went in training mode and it looks like you're right. She's pretty much gone from full screen. Super jumping isn't reliable enough, though it's possible to completely dodge the attack. The problem is unless you time it perfectly, you won't jump high enough to dodge, though if you can manage that, just gong once. But if she follows up with another immediately, you'll have to eat the chip. You can't jump back up fast enough.

Papercuts

GuardianE said:
I have to admit, I've never fought a level 3 Xfactor Arthur, so I don't know how bad the spam is. You chipped his entire team to death, him with almost two full health characters, in 20 seconds? Did have have 3 Hyper bars? Could he have level 3 Hyper'd with Dante at any point between your projectiles?

Thor had ~1/3 and hulk was about half, but Dante was at full health. I had 4 bars when Arthur came out, used his goddess bracelet on thor so he wouldn't swap to dante after hulk died, used golden armor after that and gained another level to pop the level 3 when dante teleported. He had 1 bar and IIRC gained another but he didn't have enough for that. I'm not sure how far Dante's level 3 goes but I suppose that would have worked at the distance I was at, it wasn't right in his face but it was close to half. I didn't let him jump since I would throw an arcing axe after throwing a bottle that locked him down, and gold armor arthur = homing arrows that also inherit a big speed boost.

If you want to get technical, the level 3 punishing him after the teleport is the reason why I had the time to kill him off, but it still felt dirty that he couldn't negate the chip due to x-factoring to kill sentinel, which I think most people would go for if given the chance.

Oh, and level 3 xfactor with arthur makes his level 3 do 700K on its own, and it basically punishes anyone that hits a button, or if I connect ANY of his projectiles I can combo into it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Karsticles said:
Again, not all characters have this ability. It's pretty hard to catch Phoenix in a random hyper with Captain America, for example.

Until you Hyper charging star her fireball on reaction?

Rorschach

LeMaximilian said:
Oh yes, Sanford played the "I have a life" card when talking about the game.
The stupid part is that he's saying you don't need any experience or skill to win, but still plays the "I have a life" card when explaining why he can't win. So the game is only for amateurs, but you need to spend all day playing it to stand a chance? Makes sense!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
LeMaximilian said:
I don't know if Daigo currently works fulltime for his MadCatz sponsorship now, but prior to that he worked as a nurse in a hospital. Destroying and saving lives for 20 years, :lol

Hes still a nurse. He just spends his afternoons at the arcade. Daigo will be back on the scene in April. Mark your calendars!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I always love the argument of "hes a scrub, and he beat me, so this game is scrubby". That means that you are lower than a scrub. Sanford is just mad because hes getting sonned up on the regular. Yipes has a good attitude. He has admitted he is bad,and he is not blaming the game. He said straight up "I am ass at this game". He did say that it won't fly though, and that he will be practicing to be on a come up. He isn't just claiming its scrubby, claiming the mechanics are broken and then give up.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Kadey said:
Hes still a nurse. He just spends his afternoons at the arcade. Daigo will be back on the scene in April. Mark your calendars!

I am extremely surprised we don't have photoshops of Ryu in a nurse's uniform then. Time to get to work on that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Papercuts said:
Thor had ~1/3 and hulk was about half, but Dante was at full health. I had 4 bars when Arthur came out, used his goddess bracelet on thor so he wouldn't swap to dante after hulk died, used golden armor after that and gained another level to pop the level 3 when dante teleported. He had 1 bar and IIRC gained another but he didn't have enough for that. I'm not sure how far Dante's level 3 goes but I suppose that would have worked at the distance I was at, it wasn't right in his face but it was close to half. I didn't let him jump since I would throw an arcing axe after throwing a bottle that locked him down, and gold armor arthur = homing arrows that also inherit a big speed boost.

If you want to get technical, the level 3 punishing him after the teleport is the reason why I had the time to kill him off, but it still felt dirty that he couldn't negate the chip due to x-factoring to kill sentinel, which I think most people would go for if given the chance.

Oh, and level 3 xfactor with arthur makes his level 3 do 700K on its own, and it basically punishes anyone that hits a button, or if I connect ANY of his projectiles I can combo into it.

Yeah, that sounds pretty nasty. If you were half screen away (which is really like full screen away since the camera's pan opens up if you step back), Dante's level 3 would have hit. It has pretty much the same reach as Stinger, if not longer.

Well, now he won't make that mistake again.

haunts said:
080813_g_simonretouchonreds.jpg

needs "deal with it" glasses but you get the idea. lmao
classic.

Papercuts

GuardianE said:
Yeah, that sounds pretty nasty. If you were half screen away (which is really like full screen away since the camera's pan opens up if you step back), Dante's level 3 would have hit. It has pretty much the same reach as Stinger, if not longer.

I actually just tried this in training, I can cancel the projectiles(even in startup) into Arthur's level 3 and punish Dante before it connects on reaction! Damn.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Papercuts said:
I actually just tried this in training, I can cancel the projectiles into Arthur's level 3 and punish Dante before it connects! Damn.

Huh? How does that work? Isn't Arthur's level 3 a full screen projectile? I though Dante's level 3 had invincibility almost all the way through. I've never been hit out of it.

AzureJericho said:

It's not full screen. It looks like full screen from the video because the fighting field is zoomed in since the two characters are closer together. The move can whiff if your opponent is far enough.

Papercuts

GuardianE said:
Huh? How does that work? Isn't Arthur's level 3 a full screen projectile? I though Dante's level 3 had invincibility almost all the way through. I've never been hit out of it.

Arthur is invulnerable from the startup through pretty much the whole level 3 super. Dante is getting hit after his attack would connect. I also tried having Dante block and do his level 3 while Arthur was doing his and Dante gets hit out of it for some reason. It also loses to fire bottle on the ground, but goes through everything else. But like I found out, even if the screen freeze for Dante shows Arthur in startup, the level 3 cancels from EVERYTHING, even his normals.

Even point blank, Arthur's level 3 while tossing a projectile is winning.

Wolfwood0

Neo Member
Papercuts said:

Thor's Mighty Strike goes through projectiles. So it should have been a pretty fair fight for him if all you were doing was throwing them out, Mighty strike wouldn't have even needed to hit you in your recovery time it just would have went through whatever you threw. Him having 2 assists levels the playing field even more especially with hulk AND Dante. Gamma wave projectile goes through Aurthur's as well, and the up gamma charge has super armor in case u decided to switch your game up and rush him. Dante has Jam session which would have stopped that as well, let alone a combination of both.

Either way he prob just should have snapped in Aurthur and killed him first. He had options just prob wasn't thinking on that lvl and rightfully so. The games only been out a month.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I spit my drink out reading that Taskmaster has a hard time getting in :lol

Also xfactor felicia is the best character in the game...*xfactor only* I just gotta get used to controlling her in lag now LOL

Papercuts

Wolfwood0 said:
Thor's Mighty Strike goes through projectiles. So it should have been a pretty fair fight for him if all you were doing was throwing them out, Mighty strike wouldn't have even needed to hit you in your recovery time it just would have went through whatever you threw. Him having 2 assists levels the playing field even more especially with hulk AND Dante. Gamma wave projectile goes through Aurthur's as well, and the up gamma charge has super armor in case u decided to switch your game up and rush him. Dante has Jam session which would have stopped that as well, let alone a combination of both.

Either way he prob just should have snapped in Aurthur and killed him first. He had options just prob wasn't thinking on that lvl and rightfully so. The games only been out a month.

I know nothing about Thor so I'm trying this out, Arthur's still hitting him out of the startup. It's not really me saying Arthur vs. this team is impossible for them, I'm just saying level 3 xfactor arthur. He was way too fast for Thor to be able to do that, and all I did was goddess bracelet + knives after to chip him out since he was almost dead. Dante gets hit out of Jam Session way before he can do it. Hulk's Gamma Wave assist loses to lances, but Hulk himself seems to hold his own against normal arthur(on the ground). X-factor arthur hits him out of the startup, there's no gap big enough to do it.

If I rematched the guy I'm sure he could win, I am just saying in this scenario he burned his x-factor to kill off sentinel and deadpool at the same time, and left himself vulnerable to nonstop chip.

Darkman M

Yeah and once Taskmaster hits you once it's pretty much over for that character. I have no clue as to how to deal with his rush down yet.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Real talk I want to see Daigo put in work into MvC3, face Justin Wong, Dnyce and all those pro-players and just rip them to shreds with his voodoo magic he cooked up in MvC3 while nobody was paying attention to him.

After that, nobody will dare say Ryu is low tier ever again. The hype train will, once again, reach new maximums come Evo.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Riposte said:
Can someone name a single instance in the long history of fighting games where a girl ranked high(lets say top 3) in a serious, high-level tournament? How many girls are in the ranks of the "best" players in various fighting games? Is it too politically incorrect to say a boxer fights like a girl? Sanford is making an objectively correct point in a colorful, perhaps distasteful, manner. In fact he isn't even that serious, because he knows there probably won't be any women MvC3 champions either(can anyone recall any female participants from recent tournaments?). Maybe a segregated women MvC3 tournament like we saw with SSF4 last year at EVO(and if you can recall, it was mostly embarrassing). To call him stupid for it, but at the same time judging his lifestyle is silly lol. At least respect his ability to judge fighting game players given his history in fighting games.

If you are surprised by how sexist he sounds, wait until you see the gay jokes and mild aversion to homosexuality from his peers on the same stream.
Talking like that makes him look like an asshole, period, regardless of intent. I'm not prudish enough to demand that people act like anything other than themselves, but I will judge them accordingly.

QisTopTier said:
I spit my drink out reading that Taskmaster has a hard time getting in :lol
He doesn't even have to get in. I jumped on the Taskmaster bandwagon last week after noticing that >50% of the players on Ranked who knew what they were doing were using him. Even when I blocked his zoning perfectly and managed to crawl my way in, I took so much chip damage in the process that I still had a hard time gaining ground.

Plus I dig his playstyle in general. And his theme.

Also xfactor felicia is the best character in the game...*xfactor only* I just gotta get used to controlling her in lag now LOL
"NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH!"
"...What the fuck do I do?!"

Azure J

Sixfortyfive said:
"NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH! NYAH!"
"...What the fuck do I do?!"

After watching my friends stumble around trying to play as her recently, this is stunningly apt. :lol

Sixfortyfive

johnFkennedy said:
Has Daigo ever played any of the vs. games competitively?
Nope. Japan in general doesn't give much competitive thought to Marvel (or TvC, for that matter). There are some decent players though. Obligatory link.

I'd like to see that change for MvC3 though. High-level international play is always hype.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
LOL at bandwagons, use who you enjoy not who is "good" everyone in this game has bullshit.

also sent sucks why are people still crying about this shitty character xD He has pretty much nothing to help him win if you fight him smart.

Ferrio

Banned
AzureJericho said:
After watching my friends stumble around trying to play as her recently, this is stunningly apt. :lol

If Q gets you in the corner with her, it gets ugly. I'm not sure even what's happening. You can't even push block her away, I think she hulk needed some serious emotional counselling after it.

also sent sucks why are people still crying about this shitty character xD He has pretty much nothing to help him win if you fight him smart.

Pretty easy to say when you're rocking task, I'm going to wager task tears sent up. Against certain characters/teams sentinal is pretty brutal. Other than Dorm which I recently picked up to deal with this exact issue, my team gets pretty wasted by him. If Dorm had a nice projectile assist, I'd feel a lot more comfortable approaching him with shulk/tron.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
AzureJericho said:
No this was more so him being infinited be it block stun or hits LOL

Ferrio said:
Pretty easy to say when you're rocking task, I'm going to wager task tears sent up. Against certain characters/teams sentinal is pretty brutal. Other than Dorm which I recently picked up to deal with this exact issue, my team gets pretty wasted by him. If Dorm had a nice projectile assist, I'd feel a lot more comfortable approaching him with shulk/tron.

Tron can eat sent for free.... so can dorm, she hulk has to work a bit to get in but ya.... btw you DONT want to use assist vs sent for the most part -.-

Darkman M

Sixfortyfive said:
Nope. Japan in general doesn't give much competitive thought to Marvel (or TvC, for that matter). There are some decent players though. Obligatory link.

I'd like to see that change for MvC3 though. High-level international play is always hype.

Hopefully Tokido blows some shit up at Final Round.

Sixfortyfive

QisTopTier said:
No this was more so him being infinited be it block stun or hits LOL
I can't get more than a handful of reps of the Cat Spike XF infinite in but it doesn't even matter half the time because they just die from chip anyway lol.

Solune

Sixfortyfive said:

I really wish there was ranked replays like SSFIV. The top guy on PSN is a Jap player and I don't know if he boosted or is just godlike. It would really interesting to see how he plays. Only thing I know is, he has Wesker Hagger and someone else that I forget. But as of yet I have yet to see a good Jap player. And even in that video of watching Tokido play was disappointing when he got blown up in ranked.

Ferrio said:

Sent is pretty free to chars that have 8 way Air Dash, Zero, Wolverine, X-23. He's just vulernable in general. Basically anyone that can cross him up fast and ambigously.
People are just complaining about Sentinel because of his damage, I've been hit by spit, frying pan, and all that other shit plenty of times. You just gotta deal with it, super jump in Don't press buttons because I can guarantee you will eat a super armor launcher or HSF.
Get in, but get in smartly.

Ferrio

Banned
QisTopTier said:
Tron can eat sent for free.... so can dorm, she hulk has to work a bit to get in but ya.... btw you DONT want to use assist vs sent for the most part -.-

Ya tron is able to move her way in, also I need to test it.. but I think her 'dinner time' hyper beats out lots of projectiles.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ferrio said:
Ya tron is able to move her way in, also I need to test it.. but I think her dinner type hyper beats out lots of projectiles. I'll need to test it out.
Don't forget he is really really weak vs cross overs too

Ferrio

Banned
QisTopTier said:
Don't forget he is really really weak vs cross overs too

Ya... that's the trouble with corners in this game though, can't do that unless your character has special dash/teleport etc.

Sixfortyfive

Ferrio said:
Ya tron is able to move her way in, also I need to test it.. but I think her 'dinner time' hyper beats out lots of projectiles.
The Lunch Time projectile only has 1 hit point. It will beat out pretty much any non-hyper projectile but will lose to any other projectile hyper, I think.

Ferrio

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
The Lunch Time projectile only has 1 hit point. It will beat out pretty much any non-hyper projectile but will lose to any other projectile hyper, I think.

Hrm... I know I beat out someone's beam once.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Ferrio said:
Ya... that's the trouble with corners in this game though, can't do that unless your character has special dash/teleport etc.

Yeah I hate the corners in this game, was the same for tvc... just can't cross up unless you have a command dash. Was it the same for mvc2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom