• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds |OT2| Sold exclusively at Dollar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvatron

MarshMellow96 said:
'for the people saying fuck capcom, how bout you go make the netcode and spectator mode and sell it to them you ungrateful idiots'

Ponder from srk already made good netcode and licensed it to Capcom. They said it took too much CPU to use it in their 3D fighters...at least their story is consistent (though, hard to believe).

Still enjoying the game, despite the card bumping lobbies.

LakeEarth

Fersis said:
Why the hell the selected stage by default is the training stage? It should be 'Random'.
This game is full of non-optimal settings.
- for some reason, the shittiest stage is the default stage
- ranked match through the menu doesn't work
- when ranked match fails, sometimes it takes you back to the XBL menu, sometimes all the way back to the main menu
- in Mission mode, you can't add any extra hit or else it's considered a failure, unlike in (Super) SFIV. You can't hit the assist button before the next attack or it will fail you, even if the assist hits after the next hit anyways (there's a little bit of leeway here)
- when finishing an online match through single player, you always have to re-choose your characters every time
- if you are playing online through single player and someone drops, the game brings you to the XBL menu, thus losing your single player progress

Of course these are all just annoyances. The only real problem with the game (imo) is level 3 XF on characters that already do a shit ton of damage.

Riposte

Dahbomb said:
X Factor undeniably adds another level of depth and strategy to the game.

At the same time it lessens strategy, and thus removes depth for all those other "levels". By making comebacks (much) easier it devalues all of actions made up to that moment. To get specific: certain guesses/choices(not answers, but instances) being able to obsolete a large groups of guesses/choices simplifies the tactical nature of a game. X-factor is just too important, and only so many things can matter during a match(or an entire battle system). This isn't a question of balance, so whether both players can use it doesn't matter. But then again, one cannot deny the (spontaneous, unearned) momentum of a XFC lvl 3 character (especially if the opposite player only has access to XFC lvl 1 or 2).

There is nothing WRONG with 3 v 1 looking bleak. It is amazing and disheartening how this isn't universally accepted among knowledgeable players. Consider what you have to give up for it not to be a case. Rubber-banding is horrible! (Except for when you are playing with children.)

Though comeback mechanics are not entirely evil or anything. Certain qualities of X-factor are still nice because they prevent chip kills and prevent landslides. That keeps 3 characters + 4-5 meters v 1 bleak rather than impossible. (EDIT: I should clarify on "landslides": Basically it leaves enough wriggle room in situations like Storm with 5 bars. At which point the match is over once she uses it once.) It is when x-factor makes you offensively superior does the whole thing derail. Compare to a "burst" mechanic, which only saves a player damage rather than putting him in an equal or superior (offensive) position(which is actually sometimes the case in MvC3). There is also a solid solution to make bursts fail, by baiting them.

Here is a fun activity: Put X-factor(lets say based on a combination of low health and rounds lost. Under 50% + lost a round = lvl 3) with all its bonuses in other fighting games. Health recovers, no chip, deal +50% more damage, faster frames/less punishable/easier combos, canceling blockstun(in SF2 lol). That game now better? God No! But it would add a new level of strategy though! lol

Don't get me wrong though, XFC doesn't break the entire game. And the game is a lot of fun. It would be more fun without it(or, really, certain aspects of it).

You forgot that Fight Request during arcade mode takes you back to team selection instead of using the team you had before you got pulled out.

I played a few ranked matches today. Dante and Wolverine seem to be my biggest issues.

Darkman M

LakeEarth said:
- when ranked match fails, sometimes it takes you back to the XBL menu, sometimes all the way back to the main menu
- in Mission mode, you can't add any extra hit or else it's considered a failure, unlike in (Super) SFIV. You can't hit the assist button before the next attack or it will fail you, even if the assist hits after the next hit anyways (there's a little bit of leeway here)
- when finishing an online match through single player, you always have to re-choose your characters every time
- if you are playing online through single player and someone drops, the game brings you to the XBL menu, thus losing your single player progress

Of course these are all just annoyances. The only real problem with the game (imo) is level 3 XF on characters that already do a shit ton of damage.

Im not sure that's a bad thing.

Varjet

LakeEarth said:
The only real problem with the game (imo) is level 3 XF on characters that already do a shit ton of damage.
I'm still wondering why they thought that giving the characters who do the most base damage the highest XF damage multipliers was a good idea.

depths20XX

Riposte said:
At the same time it lessens strategy, and thus removes depth for all those other "levels". By making comebacks (much) easier it devalues all of actions made up to that moment.

Definetly agree with this. It makes even high level play look boring to me.

LakeEarth said:

Are you really complaining about the mission mode? Its pretty straight forward and one of the easiest ones out there.

V_Arnold

X-Factor AMPLIFIES the existing differences between certain characters.
X-Factor Dark Phoenix spamming fastest missile to my non-teleport character, and I have no X-Factor anymore -> INSTANT GG.

Does not matter how good I am, I CANT WIN in that situation.
Where in SSFIV, even if my opponent still had an ultra, and I had 10% health, I could survive if I am really, really playing perfectly. Not happening in MVC3.

Ferrio

Banned
crimzonflame said:
Are you really complaining about the mission mode? Its pretty straight forward and one of the easiest ones out there.

I'm complaining about it, cause most the combos are damn near retarded.

Riposte

V_Arnold said:
X-Factor Dark Phoenix spamming fastest missile to my non-teleport character, and I have no X-Factor anymore -> INSTANT GG.

Probably the worst part about this is that player probably wants you to kill all of his characters first. Because him losing will make him win. Facepalm.

Ferrio

Banned
I think a we're going to see a lot of snap backs to nullify someone's xfactor game. Notice which character they're trying to save for it, snap it in and try to demolish it.

I try to get dormammu as my anchor, if he gets snapped in before that I get kinda lost. If she hulk is my last with x factor 3, it's usually a big waste since she can just get zoned until it wears off.

Solune

zlatko said:
My time with Task is limited but his ability to get in on people isn't that solid. If he does get in he can keep up a ton of pressure, he can deal out a lot of damage, and he's also got a good keep away game with arrows. Not sure at all about Morrigan though. Most people who use her are just keeping her around for assists purposes when I play against teams who have her on their team.

The thing is he doesn't need to get in, but no he doesn't have that much trouble getting in as you think. Just play Q, fucken Taskmaster.
And Morrigan doesn't have a tough time either, she has IAD and Flight, basically owns Sent with instant overheads.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
V_Arnold said:

Does not matter how good I am, I CANT WIN in that situation.
Where in SSFIV, even if my opponent still had an ultra, and I had 10% health, I could survive if I am really, really playing perfectly. Not happening in MVC3.

But why did you use your X-Factor already? Presumably, if you used it earlier, you should be at some advantage by the time the end game rolls around.

I agree that X-Factor is too powerful, but the reason you lose in that situation isn't because of the end game. It was because you let Phoenix get 5 levels, and you used your X-Factor early match, but were still in a situation of your tank character vs. Dark Phoenix at the end.

Varjet said:
I'm still wondering why they thought that giving the characters who do the most base damage the highest XF damage multipliers was a good idea.

Well, that makes sense... Making their strong point better. Giving them ridiculous speed makes no sense. A sent with lvl 3 X-Factor looks ridiculously fast.

They give the characters with huge damage more damage because they still have less options to get in.

Why would you give the biggest damage increase to characters who can divekick/teleport/air dash circles around you?

Does anyone get close to 200% speed? Highest I saw was Chun at 130% speed.
I'm at work right now and don't have access to the guide, but my point is that all characters get some combined damage/speed boost. Sentinel's is mostly to damage, and I think that's preferable over the other way around.

I think a we're going to see a lot of snap backs to nullify someone's xfactor game. Notice which character they're trying to save for it, snap it in and try to demolish it.
What frustrates me about this is some characters just aren't good at comboing in the first place (Arthur). It means that even if I'm playing a really good zoning game, I have to somehow find a way to snap them back, and then, even worse, follow-up on the character I snapped in with enough pressure to actually kill him or her. None of the characters on my team are really mix-up heavy enough to offer that second bit.

I try to get dormammu as my anchor, if he gets snapped in before that I get kinda lost.
I don't like Dormammu as an anchor, because it means you will likely fight a rushdown character like Wolverine or Magneto in a one on one level 3 X-Factor fight if you are evenly matched, and it's just not a situation I like to be in with him.

But why did you use your X-Factor already?

I agree that X-Factor is too powerful, but the reason you lose in that situation isn't because of the end game. It was because you let Phoenix get 5 levels, and you used your X-Factor early match.
Even if you save it, if you are far ahead of your opponent in the game, Phoenix gets 20 seconds of level 3 while you get 10 seconds of level 1. She still gets 10 whole seconds of absurd chip damage on you. X-Factor would be better if the timer were limited to 10 seconds for all levels. I don't think it's a generally bad mechanic, just that it has too much packed into one feature.

V_Arnold

GuardianE said:
But why did you use your X-Factor already? Presumably, if you used it earlier, you should be at some advantage by the time the end game rolls around.

I agree that X-Factor is too powerful, but the reason you lose in that situation isn't because of the end game. It was because you let Phoenix get 5 levels, and you used your X-Factor early match, but were still in a situation of your tank character vs. Dark Phoenix at the end.

Well, then MVC3 is officially is the first fighting game where no matter that 30 seconds are still left and you play perfectly, you will still lose due to previous mistakes in the match.

That is not good imho. It is like when you have 10 hp left and there is a shoto waiting for you to wake up with an ex bar (ex srk!!!!^^). Except that this time, it does not affect your last 1% hp, but your last 33% (last char, even from full hp). Funny.

Neki

V_Arnold said:
Well, then MVC3 is officially is the first fighting game where no matter that 30 seconds are still left and you play perfectly, you will still lose due to previous mistakes in the match.

That is not good imho. It is like when you have 10 hp left and there is a shoto waiting for you to wake up with an ex bar (ex srk!!!!^^). Except that this time, it does not affect your last 1% hp, but your last 33% (last char, even from full hp). Funny.

fighting games are like chess though. you can play amazingly with your last two pawns and your king, but it's still your fault that you let your queen get taken in the first couple of turns. a fighting match is an accumulation of your decisions, and sometimes all your previous mistakes come back to haunt you.

also, if you play perfectly up until 30 seconds are left and you lose to previous mistakes, you obviously didn't play perfectly at all.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
Even if you save it, if you are far ahead of your opponent in the game, Phoenix gets 20 seconds of level 3 while you get 10 seconds of level 1. She still gets 10 whole seconds of absurd chip damage on you. X-Factor would be better if the timer were limited to 10 seconds for all levels. I don't think it's a generally bad mechanic, just that it has too much packed into one feature.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree. X-Factor has got too much going for it.

What I mean is, if you save it for your last character, which you almost always should if you're facing Dark Phoenix or Sentinel (unless you get a chance to wipe them out early by XFC'ing something), then you'll have 20 seconds of X-Factor (and chip damage protection) as well... while theirs is dwindling.

"Why would you give the biggest damage increase to characters who can divekick/teleport/air dash circles around you?"

I don't have the guide, but the only mention google finds of her bonus damage from X-Factor puts it at 150% compared to Hulk's 230%, it's not quite the biggest damage increase.

Varjet

GuardianE said:
Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree. X-Factor has got too much going for it.

What I mean is, if you save it for your last character, which you almost always should if you're facing Dark Phoenix or Sentinel (unless you get a chance to wipe them out early by XFC'ing something), then you'll have 20 seconds of X-Factor (and chip damage protection) as well... while theirs is dwindling.
Except if you get hit before even touching the ground, which isn't all that unlikely.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Varjet said:
Except if you get hit before even touching the ground, which isn't all that unlikely.

Yeah, that's true. I mean, there are a lot of "what ifs" in this scenario, but my point is that when the game comes to a point of "GG!", there is a precursor to it. There are reasons why that situation arose.

DR2K

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Why would you give the biggest damage increase to characters who can divekick/teleport/air dash circles around you?"

I don't have the guide, but the only mention google finds of her bonus damage from X-Factor puts it at 150% compared to Hulk's 230%, it's not quite the biggest damage increase.

Yeah just checked the guide. 150% damage increase in level 3. (145% speed)

sleepykyo

V_Arnold said:

Really?

Tekken 6's damage boost (rage) only kicks in at low health. CVS1 S - gives unlimited lvl 1 supers at low health.

While X-factor is significantly more powerful with fewer characters, it is technically available to both players. It just means that people have to evaluate is having two characters available more important than a longer x-factor with a bigger stat boost?

While part of me would like to see the damage boost go, I think it still early enough that I want to see how players incorporate x-factor. Maybe players should really treat the first 2/3 of the game as positioning (stock your meters, target the opponent's key characters). Outside of snapping in Phoenix it isn't like a lot tactical plays targeting team organization are made. Well I do see the occasional snap out Sentinel for Doom to break the Sentinel-Doom missle zoning.

edit: Ferrio's general post is what I should have typed in regards to x-factor.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
080813_g_simonretouchonreds.jpg

needs "deal with it" glasses but you get the idea. lmao

SmokeMaxX

V_Arnold said:

If you get hit, you made a mistake. If you're getting chipped from full screen, you're making a mistake. You have to do whatever is necessary to win.

Can storm kill any character with chip from full screen? Yeah with X factor + hailstorm + 4-5 meters. Here's the thing, her hyper is slow as hell. Pretty much anyone with a beam can knock her out of hailstorm (or whirlwind) startup. In addition, if you can't full screen beam her, you can probably rush her down so that she can't start that stuff up.

Can Sentinel kill pretty much any character that tries to fight him headon? Don't do this then. Sentinel loses to blocking, side switches, and instant overheads. If you block, Sentinel can't do anything except commit to a command grab. Anything else is just slow as hell. If you get him to commit to a command grab, that's a victory in itself. If you side switch against Sentinel, his attacks are too slow to counter your attacks before you're already hitting him. If you instant overhead Sentinel... well it's an instant overhead.

Phoenix- She dies to random. Enough said. The only thing I'm really scared of against Dark Phoenix is her teleport. If I anticipate it, I can random hyper and kill her. It's a guess, but considering she has to actually land a combo to kill me while all I have to do is guess random hyper and kill her... She's hard to beat, but definitely not impossible.

Fair enough, but this generally means watching two of my characters get decimated first - I am not a fan. However, I do have a wonderful tendency to catch opponents in a level 3 X-Factor, blockstun-canceled, Doom's Time in those situations.

Yeah, she doesn't get a ton of bonuses from X-Factor. According to Killian, this is because she already has so much going for her. Most of her damage increase comes from the feathers - they do 20K a pop.

Whats the best button placement

L-M-H
S-P1-P2?
This is my preferred setting.

Can storm kill any character with chip from full screen? Yeah with X factor + hailstorm + 4-5 meters. Here's the thing, her hyper is slow as hell. Pretty much anyone with a beam can knock her out of hailstorm (or whirlwind) startup. In addition, if you can't full screen beam her, you can probably rush her down so that she can't start that stuff up.
While I understand your perspective here, not all characters can stop the Ice Storm spam. I got caught in this situation last night using Hsien-ko, and it was not pretty.

Phoenix- She dies to random. Enough said. The only thing I'm really scared of against Dark Phoenix is her teleport. If I anticipate it, I can random hyper and kill her. It's a guess, but considering she has to actually land a combo to kill me while all I have to do is guess random hyper and kill her... She's hard to beat, but definitely not impossible.
Again, not all characters have this ability. It's pretty hard to catch Phoenix in a random hyper with Captain America, for example.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
QisTopTier said:
It's not that she got a huge damage increase, it's the fact that the damage scaling doesn't really kick in, so all those little fireballs eat your ass raw.

The SRK guide says she has a different multiplier than regular Phoenix. A 200% boost.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
Again, not all characters have this ability. It's pretty hard to catch Phoenix in a random hyper with Captain America, for example.

I was with you until here. Don't all of Captain America's Hypers have some projectile invincibility?

LakeEarth

Karsticles said:
I don't like Dormammu as an anchor, because it means you will likely fight a rushdown character like Wolverine or Magneto in a one on one level 3 X-Factor fight if you are evenly matched, and it's just not a situation I like to be in with him.
I agree, I like him in my second slot with Haggar on #3 so that he can lariat any pressure away from Dorm. In second slot, he also has a good amount of meter which is really where all his damage comes from.

Ferrio

Banned
LakeEarth said:
I agree, I like him in my second slot with Haggar on #3 so that he can lariat any pressure away from Dorm. In second slot, he also has a good amount of meter which is really where all his damage comes from.

Well out of all my characters, he might be the best anchor. She hulk is absolutely trash on it. Tron is nice, and not a bad pick at all... but she can be zoned. Dorm can handle the zoning, he can be rushed but I think overall he could handle it better (well once I get good with him on point) than my tron.

Karsticles said:
While I understand your perspective here, not all characters can stop the Ice Storm spam. I got caught in this situation last night using Hsien-ko, and it was not pretty.
Item Toss knocks Storm out of it. If nothing else, super jump. She might catch you wtih chip damage once, but there's no excuse for getting hit, meaning blocking, with 4 or 5 of those things in a row.

I died by the hands of a wolverine, sentinal, storm team. It was glorious and I was in too much awe of his awesome execution and rushdown to hate him.

This game needs replays.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
The Abominable Snowman said:
If literally 99% of the "major" pro players have Sent in their team, and so does a good 50% of the higher ranked players in ranked. I'm pretty sure he's one of the best, if not the best, char in the game

Yep, very true! I promised myself never to put him on my team... I just hate winning with something that's just too strong, take away all the fun for me. So my team is all based on anti sentinel tactics and pure rushdown. Finally found the team that most like my Dudley play style so its all good ;)!

Got to love those command dashes ;)!

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Oh yes, Sanford played the "I have a life" card when talking about the game. The only reason people are listening to what he says is the exact opposite (meaning playing SF games is his life), I'd beg to reconsider anything he speaks for future conversation.

Also regarding the 'women' remark, people don't seem to realize the level of respect you should be giving to the overall 'pro gamer'. These aren't people who had to go through anything specifically challenging, difficult or oppressive to get where they are now. Which is exactly why professional fighting game players will never get the same success/respect as professional athletes. They do stuff that's entertaining to watch, period.

Sure, they all train hard, but one usually requires a healthy education and much more dedication(physical). It just bugs me whenever I hear stories of people just dropping whatever they should be doing for a life of Street Fighter fame, where they might be admired by an audience of sub 20,000 people. Shit's not worth it yo.

/endrant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj5USQfwNps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom